Friday, November 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, November 4, 2011 TOC Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS

Post by seaborgium »

dirck_hals wrote:
Paucle wrote:Got this FJ right on a "Could it be..?" guess, and as I try to recall the early part of the week, this may have saved me from clicking that dreaded box on the poll. I'll know more tomorrow. Don't feel like looking back.

Nice win, Joon! And boo to Tom (or was it John?) for not saying "I'd like to make it a Daily Triple!"

Did the first 6 players get to sit in the audience, or are they re-sequestered?
The first 6 get to sit in the audience. I'd imagine that they would be kept incommunicado from the remaining players at the lunch break, though.
Speaking from experience, I can tell you that the players who remain sequestered at the lunch break don't even get to leave the green room!
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

I knew Final Jeopardy, and was thinking Algonquin Round Table the entire time, but I just wrote down "Round Table," thinking of them being called "round table wits." Would just Round Table have been acceptable?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Congrats to Joon on a very impressive, dominant performance against two stellar opponents. Joon, since you have now eclipsed Roger as the highest-scoring (so far) semifinalist, I'm curious whether you would have gotten yesterday's FJ correct. I had expected Tom to advance (although I had picked him to emerge as a wild-card). It was obvious that he still knows his stuff, but his buzzing mojo that was so unstoppable last year was eclipsed due to Joon's mastery of the signaling device tonight.

So, Tom visited NYC without taking in an H-Bomb karaoke performance? :mrgreen:

I pulled out the FJ to salvage a merely mediocre (2-3), instead of utterly dreadful, week. I'm curious, though -- what was the meaning of the "there was nothing left to say" TOM?

Travelocity and Expedia are, to me, the travel website equivalents of Oxford and Cambridge (or Grable / Hayworth). :D I clammed on that one clue in the "websites" category because, not having heard the slogan, I had no way to choose between them.

In the rhyme-bot category, I was wondering -- do "juggernaut" and "ought" really rhyme with "bot"? I thought they both feature an "aw"-type sound.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

hbomb1947 wrote: I pulled out the FJ to salvage a merely mediocre (2-3), instead of utterly dreadful, week. I'm curious, though -- what was the meaning of the "there was nothing left to say" TOM?
Well, they were known for their lively discussions and witticisms. So...nothing left to say.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Suze wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote: I pulled out the FJ to salvage a merely mediocre (2-3), instead of utterly dreadful, week. I'm curious, though -- what was the meaning of the "there was nothing left to say" TOM?
Well, they were known for their lively discussions and witticisms. So...nothing left to say.
But why would they suddenly run out of material after 24 years of banter and badinage?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

A really good performance Joon. Grats. And a gorgeous pull on "hemostat."

I thought the board was tougher than the previous two, with plenty of neg bait that the players seemed happy to bite at.

Missed FJ, though I don't know why. Just couldn't parse it, but it's obvious to me in retrospect
hbomb1947 wrote: In the rhyme-bot category, I was wondering -- do "juggernaut" and "ought" really rhyme with "bot"? I thought they both feature an "aw"-type sound.
HB, I rhyme juggernaut and ought with bot. But I sure don't rhyme marmot with bot, and can't imagine anyone else doing so. That was just weird. Alex even seemed to say marmot properly in giving the correct response.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

For unknown reasons, my DVR decided to skip recording Jeopardy tonight. Its shattered, smoking remains are now resting uncomfortably embedded into my front lawn. Fortunately, there is a reason that humans pair off (I did not answer "Sheldon" in the Big Bang Theory poll), and after I had returned from being The Hulk, Carol Anne, smart cookie that she is, suggested I look for it online. So I would like to say ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou to whoever 'GeeWhiz' is on YouTube for posting a very nice copy of this episode and saving me from self-immolation.

That being said, Joon, congratulations on yet another awesome (yet fully expected) showing. Tom and John, I was sorry to see both of you go down like that. I had higher expectations, as I'm sure both of you had. Tom, was that an Angry Bird you drew for FJ? Certainly looked like it to me. This seemed like a much tougher set of boards tonight, but Joon didn't have too much trouble navigating them. No shot for me on FJ; I said "Friars Club" just to put something down, though I was sure it was wrong. I won the coin flip on Expedia/Orbitz, but lost it on El Salvador/Costa Rica. Them's the breaks.

P.S. How dare they have a category on web sites and not have a clue about JBoard! Bastards!
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Mark B wrote:A really good performance Joon. Grats. And a gorgeous pull on "hemostat."

I thought the board was tougher than the previous two, with plenty of neg bait that the players seemed happy to bite at.

Missed FJ, though I don't know why. Just couldn't parse it, but it's obvious to me in retrospect
hbomb1947 wrote: In the rhyme-bot category, I was wondering -- do "juggernaut" and "ought" really rhyme with "bot"? I thought they both feature an "aw"-type sound.
HB, I rhyme juggernaut and ought with bot. But I sure don't rhyme marmot with bot, and can't imagine anyone else doing so. That was just weird. Alex even seemed to say marmot properly in giving the correct response.
Maybe it's a Canadian thing. :D According to dictionary.com, "ought" is pronounced "awt."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ought

It does look like juggernaut can be pronounced either way:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/juggernaut
UniquePerspective
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by UniquePerspective »

alietr wrote:
That being said, Joon, congratulations on yet another awesome (yet fully expected) showing. Tom and John, I was sorry to see both of you go down like that. I had higher expectations, as I'm sure both of you had.
John still could make the semis, technically, if every other non winner scores $13 or less.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Instaget FJ for once, so at least I won't get shut out for the ToC. :)

Algonquin Club? No (also, ya'll -- no ;) It's y'all)
Round Table? Probably yes

Congrats, Joon! Dominating performance.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I don't have the stats handy, but I'm wondering about the sucess rate of the last TOC qualifier making the semis? Whatever it is it went up tonight. Joon was fresh and ready to go.

Tom's one and done was a disappointing surprise as I thought the game would go better for him. It takes nothing away from his stellar regular run. I don't buy knocks about material and opponents. Joon just made it hard to get untracked and it snowballed from there. Tom was obviously off his game when El Salvador was guessed instead of Costa Rica.

The writers had me joining the players in messing up Moran. That's all folks as a TOM had me looking for a gangster named Porky. I was sure Capone had the upper hand for Valentine's Day so he was out. The hint leading towards Bugs hit me when it was time to respond and I blurted out Siegel. Malone I knew was the Foster movie and by then I was not going to count the rebound at home for Moran. With more thinking time on a written test I would have got it right.

The Trash that had me yelling was INXS.

The FJ clue had me working on something about Harpo not talking or some kind of comedy club. I wrote Friars, but I tried to make sure I was processing what the clue wanted this time. I read it as the group was no longer around. The Friars are still present with their roasts, so I knew I was toast. I read the clue again in the hope that it was only indicating the group had moved from an old site. Nope. The group no longer existed.

Harpo being silent had me thinking mute and from there I was really losing it as I considered Mummers as in mum. I knew not to go there, so Friars was all I could do.

Nice solve by Joon to look solid for the champ's position in the semis with 30,800. He got a math type category with Measurements and a crossword puzzle type with "H." We'll see what else is up his alley next week. My fingers are crossed that Joon and the week's previous winners are separated but the semis can sometimes let big dogs tangle.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

hbomb1947 wrote: I'm curious, though -- what was the meaning of the "there was nothing left to say" TOM?
Yes, that was a strange little phrase, and perhaps I read too much into it. As soon as I saw the clue, I turned to my wife and asked "Was Harpo Marx a mime?"

I couldn't think of any famous mime societies, and I've never heard of the correct response either, so this one was hopeless for me.

Congrats, Joon!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wow, tough luck, Tom, getting both Joon and those boards, which to me were the toughest of the TOC to date. FJ, OTOH, was an instaget for me, likely also thanks to the TD that asked about Round Table membership. (I did, however, spend the entirety of Think music mulling over the wording: "Round Table?... Algonquin Round Table?" before finally deciding that more was better) I think that "Round Table" would have to be accepted, too, but I wonder what they would have made of "Mrs. Parker's Vicious Circle"? :D
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

At home, I brought out 'hemostat' with exactly the uncertain inflection that Joon did. At exactly the same time.

Got FJ, but I would guess if they took a partial, Algonquin Club would be more likely accepted than just Round Table; seems to me Algonquin would be more key than the other two words.

That Thousand Island clue was 'WTF are they asking for?' Not surprised the way it was written the clue was merely stared at. Gotta have a pretty thorough knowledge of St Lawrence geography to recognize those names.

Like others, I thought this board was harder than others we have seen so far, particularly J! And like Mark B, it really struck me wrong to have marmot as a rhyme for bot. Not rhymes with bot; marmot not. I was a little skeptical but resigned to ought and juggernaut.

Another impressive performance by a pre-tourney favorite.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Suze wrote:FJ was instaget for me, was a bit surprised that two missed it until I remembered that I only knew about Harpo's connection to Algonquin because he was a briefly-shown character in "Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle."
Same instaget, knew pretty much all the facts in the FJ! clue already, due to reading about the rise and fall of the Algonquin Round Table a few months ago. Somewhat pleased that it was an instaget for me and a NHOI for 2/3 fantastic players and most of the board!

Which reminds me, while it was an instaget, I was sweating over the spelling of "Algonquin" for most of the 30 seconds. "Algonquan? Algonquian? I'm sure I've heard the latter pronunciation (my spellcheck on my computer didn't even tag it like it tagged "Algonquan"), but with an extra syllable, that's the difference between life and death with an incorrect FJ! response, not like a clue during the regular game where I could try to elide over it and split the difference. I wrote it down as "Algonqu an", enough space to slide in an I if need be, but decided against the I at the last minute. Due to J! pronunciation rules, it should be accepted, I couldn't tell whether Joon wrote an "a" or an "i" though it was so small.
BigDaddyJ wrote:As soon as I saw the clue, I turned to my wife and asked "Was Harpo Marx a mime?"
:evil: I'm not going to dignify that with a response ...
bomtr wrote:Got FJ, but I would guess if they took a partial, Algonquin Club would be more likely accepted than just Round Table; seems to me Algonquin would be more key than the other two words.
I sincerely doubt "Algonquin Club" would be accepted, they've negged on similar mistakes.
bomtr wrote:That Thousand Island clue was 'WTF are they asking for?' Not surprised the way it was written the clue was merely stared at. Gotta have a pretty thorough knowledge of St Lawrence geography to recognize those names.
Took me a while too, the names rang a bell, but I wasn't quite sure, the "actually 1,500 of them" part was the TOM for me (Alex didn't quite deliver that part right for the TOM to appear as fast as it should have.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote:In the rhyme-bot category, I was wondering -- do "juggernaut" and "ought" really rhyme with "bot"? I thought they both feature an "aw"-type sound.
They rhyme more in some accents than others. In any accent, I suspect they rhyme enough for a limerick.

"Marmot" on the other hand does not rhyme with "bot". At all. Do the writers have no ear? Did they trust a computerized rhyming dictionary? Even if you get past rhyming "mutt" with "bot", "marmot" still has the accent on the wrong syllable. There is no way to write a poem in which those two words, naturally pronounced, rhyme. No competent poet would attempt it. And Ogden Nash wouldn't, either.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:I had Algonquin Table, then was writing furiously with a carrot at the last moment to get Round in there.

Yucky board for me, including the dreaded Ballet category.
I was imagining you scribbling away with an orange root vegetable until i realized you meant "caret"
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Woof wrote: I think that "Round Table" would have to be accepted, too, but I wonder what they would have made of "Mrs. Parker's Vicious Circle"? :D
I said "Thanatopsis Pleasure and Inside Straight Club". Judges?

I think simply "Round Table" would have been accepted; "Algonquin club", that's a tough call. I'm guessing not. "New York City's Rose Room" in the clue seemed a bit of a stretch. Would they ask about New York City's men's room or New York City's gift shop?

Alexander Woollcott, who was Harpo's Round Table sponsor, died in 1943; I guess that spelled the unofficial end of the club. "Nothing left to say" was about half TOM and half cutesy. They might have done worse.

To me, "juggernaut" rhymes with "ought", but not with "marmot", and none of them rhyme with "bot". But I have learned not to expect too stringent a standard for Jeopardy rhyme time.
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Which reminds me, while it was an instaget, I was sweating over the spelling of "Algonquin" for most of the 30 seconds. "Algonquan? Algonquian? I'm sure I've heard the latter pronunciation (my spellcheck on my computer didn't even tag it like it tagged "Algonquan"), but with an extra syllable, that's the difference between life and death with an incorrect FJ! response, not like a clue during the regular game where I could try to elide over it and split the difference. I wrote it down as "Algonqu an", enough space to slide in an I if need be, but decided against the I at the last minute. Due to J! pronunciation rules, it should be accepted, I couldn't tell whether Joon wrote an "a" or an "i" though it was so small.
The Algonquin are an aboriginal people mostly native to Quebec. The Algonquian are a Native American people (and language) from many parts of North America. The former is essentially a subset of the latter.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Two things:

1) Tom had me :lol: for drawing the FUUUUUUUU face as his FJ response.
2) JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON