Friday, November 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Friday, November 4, 2011 TOC Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS

Post by dhkendall »

Two things combined to give me "hemostat", one was the picture, and two was watching a lot of M*A*S*H*. The rest of the time was spent trying to telekentically relay "hemostat" to Joon across space and time ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

I'm proud to have caused so much consternation in regards to my answer of Algonqiun Club, but after some brief research via wikepedia the " Algonquin Club" seems to be an East coast fine dining organization. Therefore I consider myself in error. Bon appetite.
Le Flaneur
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks Unique and Seaborgium for your research. I can add that for the 1996 TOC it was Lucien Schmit as the last qualifer and he went out in the quarterfinals.

For the 1995 TOC it was Paul Thompson and he went to the semifinals.
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

jpahk wrote: the marmot clue frustrated the hell out of me. i was thinking marmot the whole time, but it just. doesn't. fit. the. category. grr.
At least you didn't ring in and choose the phonically right -- but faunically wrong -- ocelot.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I've heard of the group, but have no idea exactly what they were or did. They nwere mentioned in passing in an episode of Seinfled, I think that's how I got it.

I also got hemostate.

nice win by Joon.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

jpahk wrote:also, tom's FJ rage face was simply epic. check out this incredible cartoon he posted on reddit.
I think I'm the only one who got it. :P

That link is pretty funny, by the way... glad to see he's got a sense of humor about the whole thing.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by WooWho? »

WOW! What an incredible game. Commiserations to Tom and John--shame the luck of the draw put you up against a buzzsaw.

But Joon, allow me to extend my congratulations as well! What an impressive win (in my less-than-tactful days while hosting USC's game show I would've called it a "curbstomping win"). Very impressive gets, especially with "hemostat"--I'm with Alex, where the heck did that come from? My dad's a doctor and I'm not even sure if HE knows what that thing's called.

This is shaping up to be a very epic tournament indeed...and it's only been three days!
billiej

Post by billiej »

heelsrule1988 wrote:
jpahk wrote:also, tom's FJ rage face was simply epic. check out this incredible cartoon he posted on reddit.
I think I'm the only one who got it. :P

That link is pretty funny, by the way... glad to see he's got a sense of humor about the whole thing.
That's awesome! :lol:

I think Joon may have heard me yelling "hemostat", too. Instaget the second the pic came up - assisting in veterinary surgeries helped me out there.

FJ...not so much. All the FJs have been brutal for me this tournament thus far.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote: I'm curious, though -- what was the meaning of the "there was nothing left to say" TOM?
Yes, that was a strange little phrase, and perhaps I read too much into it. As soon as I saw the clue, I turned to my wife and asked "Was Harpo Marx a mime?"
Re...really? Watch some Marx Brothers movies! Post haste!

Messy game for me, felt more like a TOC board at least. Few ugly negs, too. Bugsy Malone. I knew "Bugs* M*" and the brain just took the wrong track. Apparently I keep thinking a fathom is 60 feet (Although I WAS proud of my nigh instant 5340 feet) and I was off on Canadian PMs by one (Mackenzie. ALSO Scottish born!...).

FJ was instant for me, I just figured, "What group would meet regularly in a New York hotel's meeting room in the 30s and 40s, perhaps earlier?" Algonquin Round Table.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Congratulations Joon! Look forward to your next game!
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Another swing-and-a-miss FJ! for me ... [which makes my third strike for the week - guess I'm out :( ]

The Harpo Marx datum was a dead end (like some others, I couldn't recall any notable mime groups), so I tried to think of a notable group that ended in 1943 and that could somehow incorporate the idea that "there was nothing left to say."

I went with the League of Nations, figuring that there would be nothing left to say there since the group was being replaced by the United Nations.

So imagine my pre-reveal excitement when Alex added the teaser "The group began meeting way back in 1919"!!

YES! YES! YES!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(Turns out that although the League of Nations was established in 1919, it wasn't disbanded until 1946 - guess they still had something to say for a few more years!)
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jkbrat wrote:Another swing-and-a-miss FJ! for me ... [which makes my third strike for the week - guess I'm out :( ]

The Harpo Marx datum was a dead end (like some others, I couldn't recall any notable mime groups), so I tried to think of a notable group that ended in 1943 and that could somehow incorporate the idea that "there was nothing left to say."

I went with the League of Nations, figuring that there would be nothing left to say there since the group was being replaced by the United Nations.

So imagine my pre-reveal excitement when Alex added the teaser "The group began meeting way back in 1919"!!

YES! YES! YES!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(Turns out that although the League of Nations was established in 1919, it wasn't disbanded until 1946 - guess they still had something to say for a few more years!)
The thought of Harpo Marx at League of Nations meetings gives me great joy, however.

"The Chair recognizes the ambassador from Freedonia."
"HONK! HONK!"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Thank you, dhkendall, for that image. :lol:

Final was making me crazy, as I've read Harpo's autobiography (Harpo Speaks, an excellent book) and could pull the names of four members of the club, but could only think of Vicious Circle as the name, until right after time was up when I remembered Algonquin. I could even picture the hotel, which I went into on a NYC trip.

Joon, you absolutely cracked me up with Bugsy Malone, and you got me listening to songs from it on YouTube. Loved this movie as a kid, especially Jodie Foster.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

GeoPETom wrote:Yeah, this was pretty disappointing, but I tried to have a little fun there in FJ once it became apparent that I had no idea of the answer, not even a WAG.

I'll follow up later tonight with more commentary.

My guess is that this was a FJ that favored older contestants/viewers. I've read a fair bit about it (much of it in Jon Winokur's excellent series of books on Curmudgeons, who were pretty much everyone at the roundtable), so this was an instaget for me.

My guess is "club" would not be acceptable.

I was also a bit surprised to see the game such a runaway, not because Joon's strengths were any surprise, but because his opponents were no slouches themselves. I'm not sure what happened to them, but if this is a case of "Joon happened," and if that's any example of what is to come, then we might be watching him in the finals.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I was surprised at the number of TSs I got this game, although against Joon, I'm sure it would be my only points.

I thought the FJ was far too easy compared to the rest of the clues, but I guess it does favor older players.

It only takes a few wrong answers to put you in the hole and destroy your momentum.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

periwinkle wrote:Final was making me crazy, as I've read Harpo's autobiography (Harpo Speaks, an excellent book) and could pull the names of four members of the club, but could only think of Vicious Circle as the name, until right after time was up when I remembered Algonquin.
If the Wikipedia article is accurate, I believe "What is The Vicious Circle" would have been a correct response.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Joon, you ought to know that when the Dear Wife and I were visiting one of her elderly relatives last week — and we were watching Jeopardy!, her favorite show — my wife's kinswoman thought you were doing a very fine thing contributing a portion of your winnings to your church and disaster relief. So you have at least one new 81-year-old fan.
dhkendall wrote:The thought of Harpo Marx at League of Nations meetings gives me great joy, however.

"HONK! HONK!"
:P (that's the closest I could find to a "Gooky" emoticon)
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Budphrey wrote:
dhkendall wrote:The thought of Harpo Marx at League of Nations meetings gives me great joy, however.

"HONK! HONK!"
:P (that's the closest I could find to a "Gooky" emoticon)
I know we had an "official unofficial" gookie emoticon that we used ages ago on the Marx Bros. listserv, but I can't remember it.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Budphrey wrote:Joon, you ought to know that when the Dear Wife and I were visiting one of her elderly relatives last week — and we were watching Jeopardy!, her favorite show — my wife's kinswoman thought you were doing a very fine thing contributing a portion of your winnings to your church and disaster relief. So you have at least one new 81-year-old fan.
thanks. i've been trying to raise my profile among the octogenarian demographic. pretty soon you'll see me on TV pitching prescription drugs and, uh, hemostats.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jpahk wrote:thanks. i've been trying to raise my profile among the octogenarian demographic. pretty soon you'll see me on TV pitching prescription drugs and, uh, hemostats.
In partnership with Jay Rhee?