The Buzz on Buzzy

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: The Buzz on Buzzy

Post by opusthepenguin »

pauerpoint wrote:
CailinGaoilge wrote:]Divisive???

Every single time there is a champion with even half an ounce of personality, somehow that person becomes "divisive", or "annoying", or "hated". Arthur Chu, Jennifer Morrow, Matt Jackson, Buzzy Cohen and many, many more - people who play the game well, and achieve something the vast majority of us (much present company excepted, of course) could never do.

It drives me mad. :roll:

*makes mental note to stay away from the J! Facebook page today*
I'm just glad this circus didn't happen to me (that I know of, at least), I would be so mortified. Although I guess it does mean that I don't have even half an ounce of personality.
Which one are you again?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The "Drabble" comic strip had it right the other day.

"School used to be about the three R's. Now it's the three T's - Texting, Tweeting, and Trolling."
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

The debate here is akin to the one in baseball about the propriety of having emotions during the game.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

harrumph wrote:The debate here is akin to the one in baseball about the propriety of having emotions during the game.
Now I want to see Buzzy bring out a baseball bat and flip it if he wins this next game.
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

brick wrote:
harrumph wrote:He does give us a reason to root for him getting a lock.
Ooooh, not me. I think his lock answers are the worst. I didn't have any problem with him at all until he started that.
I'm in this camp as well. I find it disrespectful. I don't want robot contestants. I liked him until he started doing that.

I don't see the strategy in it, either. You're a challenger and you have to assume that the champion is a decent player. It seems like too much to parse in the very few instances where you might try and assess the competition. You're more worried about what you don't know than what the champion might not know.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

I think the Sean Connery jokes are lame, but other than that I like Buzzy just fine.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
harrumph wrote:The debate here is akin to the one in baseball about the propriety of having emotions during the game.
Now I want to see Buzzy bring out a baseball bat and flip it if he wins this next game.
And then, during the TOC, some other contestant could punch him in the face. :)

Not really, I like Buzzy just fine. He's kinda dorky with the round glasses and the 15 pounds of goop in his hair, but he has a likeable manner and is a great player. His repartee with Alex is often quite funny.
Last edited by Rackme32 on Wed May 25, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Anachronism wrote:I don't see the strategy in it, either. You're a challenger and you have to assume that the champion is a decent player. It seems like too much to parse in the very few instances where you might try and assess the competition. You're more worried about what you don't know than what the champion might not know.
It's not too much to parse when you're deciding on your FJ wager. You've got time to review what you saw while sitting in the audience waiting your turn. 999 times out of 1000, knowing whether the champ got a previous FJ right won't help your strategy. But there's always that one time where it does. Why should Alex or Buzzy or anyone else give you that edge?

Personally, I like Buzzy's schtick. I like the gestures when he's introduced. I like the FJ quips when he has a lock. If he seemed arrogant, I'd find all that annoying. But he doesn't. He's just a guy making the most of his time on the show. As long as he's there, why not enjoy himself?
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

opusthepenguin wrote: It's not too much to parse when you're deciding on your FJ wager. You've got time to review what you saw while sitting in the audience waiting your turn. 999 times out of 1000, knowing whether the champ got a previous FJ right won't help your strategy. But there's always that one time where it does. Why should Alex or Buzzy or anyone else give you that edge?

Personally, I like Buzzy's schtick. I like the gestures when he's introduced. I like the FJ quips when he has a lock. If he seemed arrogant, I'd find all that annoying. But he doesn't. He's just a guy making the most of his time on the show. As long as he's there, why not enjoy himself?
As usual, the penguin spouts wisdom.

I dig Buzzy's style.
a1srvng
Valued Contributor

Post by a1srvng »

"Ooooh, not me. I think his lock answers are the worst. I didn't have any problem with him at all until he started that" Amen.

And those Sean Connery jokes ARE lame.

Not that anyone cares, but I won't be watching until he's gone. So much for the buzz improving audience base. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

a1srvng wrote:Not that anyone cares, but I won't be watching until he's gone. So much for the buzz improving audience base. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Oh, get over yourself. You're not going to watch a quiz show because a guy chose to make a couple of jokes during final rounds that he had rendered inconsequential by virtue of his solid gameplay? Okey-dokey.
Sprinkles are for winners.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

What RackMe and Opus (and probably others -- I'm too lazy to re-read the whole thread) said.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

From the 1st time my wife and I saw Buzzy we loved him. He seems to be a likeable guy but what really gets me is his "look". He reminds me of a young Benny Goodman. He doesn't totally dominate games (though there have been several lockouts), but he seems to go on short runs of 4 or 5 in a row and the next thing you know he's up by $5000. Keep up the good work.
Le Flaneur
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Anachronism wrote:I don't see the strategy in it, either. You're a challenger and you have to assume that the champion is a decent player. It seems like too much to parse in the very few instances where you might try and assess the competition. You're more worried about what you don't know than what the champion might not know.
It's not too much to parse when you're deciding on your FJ wager. You've got time to review what you saw while sitting in the audience waiting your turn. 999 times out of 1000, knowing whether the champ got a previous FJ right won't help your strategy. But there's always that one time where it does. Why should Alex or Buzzy or anyone else give you that edge?

Hear hear. I like him - it feels as if he's relaxed and having a good time, and not taking himself too seriously.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

CailinGaoilge wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

Hear hear. I like him - it feels as if he's relaxed and having a good time, and not taking himself too seriously.
"This isn't Masterpiece Theatre, folks" - The Incomparable Maggie Speak (I assume "The Incomparable" is part of her legal name by now)

This is a game show. People here (and "there") don't seem to realize that. Hence they are going to cast people who have a game show personality. I guarantee after Buzzy's gone there'll be a string of Buzzys (Buzzies?) that also make the most of their time on tv. Don't like it? Don't watch a game show.

(Seriously, do these people go into an IHOP and complain about all the pancakes?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

You know...Matt Jackson and Buzzy Cohen share the same issue. People have started to hate on Matt Jackson before he went in the ToC. A youtuber said "I really don't like this guy. He's got way too much of a pompous attitude, and that creepy smile of his sends bad and creepy vibrations". That was the highlight on Matt Jackson that completely went viral. Buzzy's momentum seems to rave a lot of questions. With Buzzy, he seems to get momentum as the days fly. While he was in 2nd place, he almost panicked us with a correct answer. Examples did include his 2nd and 4th games. His 4th one though...that nearly scared me. If Buzzy had not got that final right, we would have probably witnessed a series of one, two or three time champs in the run.

Even after the Teacher's Tournament and Power Players Week, I thought he would get exhausted. But no, that wasn't the case. When I was posting on The Jeopardy! Fan page, Jason Sterlacci told me that the DC taping was crazy, and there definitely was no layoff for Buzzy. After all, he hasn't played for 3 weeks, and keeping that momentum is really starting to question him as being one of the next double-digit winning champs, next to Matt Jackson, Julia Collins, Arthur Chu, Ken Jennings, and David Madden.

I did mention that normally, when a champ stays away for so long, they would seem dethroned by a challenger. These recent examples did occur in the 2010s that a champ has been dethroned for a while: Tara Anderson (6+ weeks), Winston Nguyen (8+ weeks), John Anneken (2+ weeks), Joshua Brakhage (4+ weeks), Alison Parakh (7+ weeks), Jacob Silverman (3+ weeks), and Kate Rowland (Almost 3 weeks). They’ve been away for a while and got dethroned within the time they were champs.

Within his coming back as champ, he seemed to have developed maybe a bit of rubbing in on Alex Trebek with his answers. “See you tomorrow, Trebek.” and “You aren’t rid of me, Trebek.” were his FJ! answers in the first two games coming back from D.C. and that seems to kind of rub me the wrong way. He got that same witty way of writing FJ! answers the same way as Alex Jacob did. I'm not as crazy with this guy because of the way he developed the same self-righteousness that Matt Jackson had.
Last edited by MTGcollegestudent on Thu May 26, 2016 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:Even after the Teacher's Tournament and Power Players Week, I thought he would get exhausted. But no, that wasn't the case. When I was posting on The Jeopardy! Fan page, Jason Sterlacci told me that the DC taping was crazy, and there definitely was no layoff for Buzzy. After all, he hasn't played for 3 weeks, and keeping that momentum is really starting to question him as being one of the next double-digit winning champs, next to Matt Jackson, Julia Roberts, Arthur Chu, Ken Jennings, and David Madden.
I cannot figure out what you think you're saying here.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

bpmod wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:Even after the Teacher's Tournament and Power Players Week, I thought he would get exhausted. But no, that wasn't the case. When I was posting on The Jeopardy! Fan page, Jason Sterlacci told me that the DC taping was crazy, and there definitely was no layoff for Buzzy. After all, he hasn't played for 3 weeks, and keeping that momentum is really starting to question him as being one of the next double-digit winning champs, next to Matt Jackson, Julia Roberts, Arthur Chu, Ken Jennings, and David Madden.

Brian
If you think about it, Buzzy hasn't played for 3 week during both the Teacher's Tournament and Power Players matches and he hasn't showed signs of faltering. That's starting to make me wonder about him. He's been getting the same hate that Matt Jackson would have gotten, but different results.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:I'm not as crazy with this guy because of the way he developed the same self-righteousness that Matt Jackson had.
"Self-righteousness" is not a synonym for "being confident that you can answer trivia questions correctly," which as far as I can tell is what you were going for here.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
If you think about it, Buzzy hasn't played for 3 week during both the Teacher's Tournament and Power Players matches and he hasn't showed signs of faltering. That's starting to make me wonder about him. He's been getting the same hate that Matt Jackson would have gotten, but different results.
You do realise that the tournaments were taped separately at a different time? Buzzy did not have a three-week break in taping.