500 Questions (Season 2) [Spoilers after 5:00 p.m. PDT on game nights]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: 500 Questions (Season 2) [Possible Spoilers]

Post by ElendilPickle »

mrbungle wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
mrbungle wrote:and nice try with the story, there, goodreau. i heard from the producers about your insane demands: $80k up-front money, fancy cars, a guaranteed berth in the next edition of MasterChef Junior, the rendering of your likeness in three weeks of Mary Worths... you, sir, are a monster.
I actually got into more than three weeks of Mary Worth: http://www.zubbie.com/stuff/mw/
dear god.
Now we all know about Bob Keeshan's pre-Captain Kangaroo career.
Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 500 Questions (Season 2) [Spoilers after 5:00 p.m. PDT on game nights]

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Does anyone know if Richard Mason really cares? Yes, it seems unlikely that anyone would ever turn down a chance to win money, but isn't it possible that he had some kind of schedule conflict or other reason for not wanting to participate again? Has he himself been complaining on Twitter or someplace (as people do these days), or is all this outrage just on his behalf without his involvement?
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

harrumph wrote:Ryan totally delivered.
thank you, harrumph!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Ryan, it was as much a pleasure to watch you on this show as it was on J! (Actually, more, as this show allowed you to let your freak flag fly). After seeing your performance and Lampy's last season, I think that there are only a handful of AP/Schliemann types who have a realistic chance at 500. And if our paths should ever cross, I'm buying you an Irish Coffee with a Queen Anne's Lace swizzle stick :mrgreen:
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Post by VoluptuousLoser »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:Does anyone know if Richard Mason really cares? Yes, it seems unlikely that anyone would ever turn down a chance to win money, but isn't it possible that he had some kind of schedule conflict or other reason for not wanting to participate again? Has he himself been complaining on Twitter or someplace (as people do these days), or is all this outrage just on his behalf without his involvement?
He did not have a schedule conflict. He was there and ready to go. He did not opt out. He does not have the same liberty to speak about it that others do.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

Woof wrote:Ryan, it was as much a pleasure to watch you on this show as it was on J! (Actually, more, as this show allowed you to let your freak flag fly). After seeing your performance and Lampy's last season, I think that there are only a handful of AP/Schliemann types who have a realistic chance at 500. And if our paths should ever cross, I'm buying you an Irish Coffee with a Queen Anne's Lace swizzle stick :mrgreen:
ha! thank you again, Woof! and you're on for the (super-delicious-sounding) drink!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

- Mason wanted to come back

- Mason was told he wasn't coming back two days before taping

- Ken absolutely knew that Mason was disinvited the day before taping

- Ken taped

We can certainly speculate that Ken demanded guaranteed TV time; being the first up would have been the only way to gave guaranteed that.

Sorry if I am not broken up over the guy putting up the absolutely worst performance in the history of this soon to be forgotten show. Mason got $0 as a result BTW.
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Austin Powers wrote:- Mason wanted to come back

- Mason was told he wasn't coming back two days before taping

- Ken absolutely knew that Mason was disinvited the day before taping

- Ken taped

We can certainly speculate that Ken demanded guaranteed TV time; being the first up would have been the only way to gave guaranteed that.

Sorry if I am not broken up over the guy putting up the absolutely worst performance in the history of this soon to be forgotten show. Mason got $0 as a result BTW.
Technically, Mason was never told he was disinvited. Ken knew that Mason would not be returning-- whether he knew at the time he agreed that Mason had been "disinvited" as opposed to being unavailable is unclear, but he certainly became aware the day before the taping that Mason was available and present. There were at least two people in the contestant pool who knew exactly what was going on-- it's not clear what the others in the pool knew. One of those two people refused to participate in the taping on principle; the other person was Ken.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Brian, are you at liberty to say who it was who walked out of the taping?
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

kprather895 wrote:Brian, are you at liberty to say who it was who walked out of the taping?
I'm not *not* at liberty but, since I know he didn't do it to call attention to himself, I'll leave it to him or to others to identify him.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

VoluptuousLoser wrote:
kprather895 wrote:Brian, are you at liberty to say who it was who walked out of the taping?
I'm not *not* at liberty but, since I know he didn't do it to call attention to himself, I'll leave it to him or to others to identify him.
If he didn't do it to call attention to himself, he should have hired a less voracious hype man than you!
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

jeff6286 wrote:
VoluptuousLoser wrote:
If he didn't do it to call attention to himself, he should have hired a less voracious hype man than you!
Just so no one gets the wrong idea from Jeff's sarcasm, the person in question has not advertised what he did at all.

(By the way, Jeff, you have a pretty low bar for "voracious" if your idea of a "voracious hype man" is someone who won't name the person he's hyping.)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

VoluptuousLoser wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
VoluptuousLoser wrote:
Just so no one gets the wrong idea from Jeff's sarcasm, the person in question has not advertised what he did at all.

(By the way, Jeff, you have a pretty low bar for "voracious" if your idea of a "voracious hype man" is someone who won't name the person he's hyping.)
You may not be calling attention to him by name but you are calling a lot of attention to the act. In doing so, it feels like you are not-so-subtly trying to say something about the rest of the contestants who didn't make the same move, which feels a bit low.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If this person had not walked out, would they have appeared on the show for certain? Is this person somebody we would know from being on a much more successful trivia show hosted by a certain Canadian ex-pat?
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

jeff6286 wrote:
VoluptuousLoser wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
VoluptuousLoser wrote:

You may not be calling attention to him by name but you are calling a lot of attention to the act. In doing so, it feels like you are not-so-subtly trying to say something about the rest of the contestants who didn't make the same move, which feels a bit low.
You will note that I said it was unclear what other people in the pool understood at the time, so I'm actually giving those people the benefit of the doubt.
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Bamaman wrote:If this person had not walked out, would they have appeared on the show for certain? Is this person somebody we would know from being on a much more successful trivia show hosted by a certain Canadian ex-pat?
He would have been part of the contestant pool for certain. Whether he would have gotten to be a challenger, I have no idea. The person has been on "Jeopardy!" So that narrows it down to a few thousand people.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I wouldn't expect a third party contestant to walk out, actually. Even if someone saw this and knew it was wrong one or two folks walking out wouldn't make a difference.

OTOH, I think Jennings knew what was going down and he was uniquely positioned to say No and did not. If he walked then their plans would have wrecked.

As it was they got a little KJ buzz which was quickly extinguished. Had Mason remained on and racked up some dough maybe folks would talk.

But maybe they wouldn't. This show is very stingy and as I have said before it feels like it is being aired because ABC has some kind of contractual obligation to Mark Burnett.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Now that I've caught up ...

Great to see so many friends and acquaintances on there.
Dan Harris is a big improvement of Richard Quest, but I can't say he's just exactly right for the role.
Holy cow, Ken!
Much improved game play from Season 1.
It's still too difficult for the challenger to make it on on their own merits. I think the whole thing should be a one-on-one match with the winner advancing. It's still too skewed toward the incumbent.
What the heck do you get if you do get 500 questions? I think that remains unanswered.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:What the heck do you get if you do get 500 questions? I think that remains unanswered.
I doubt they know. In this format, no one will ever come close to 500 Q, so why waste the time figuring it out. :)
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

econgator wrote:
alietr wrote:What the heck do you get if you do get 500 questions? I think that remains unanswered.
I doubt they know. In this format, no one will ever come close to 500 Q, so why waste the time figuring it out. :)
Seems to me that if there was an appreciable award for answering 500 questions, they would have advertised it by now.