Thursday, May 26, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Thursday, May 26, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Magna »

dharrisf wrote:Poor woman. Given how much many of us put in to trying to get on the show, I'm surprised more players who don't get the chance to win a game don't cry during the closing chat.
I think it's very understandable. In that position, I'd probably do the same, or something close to it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Magna wrote:
dharrisf wrote:Poor woman. Given how much many of us put in to trying to get on the show, I'm surprised more players who don't get the chance to win a game don't cry during the closing chat.
I think it's very understandable. In that position, I'd probably do the same, or something close to it.
I know I wanted to!
lbligh
Valued Contributor

Post by lbligh »

Well, as an out-of-copyright book there are probably a bunch of different audiobook versions of "The Moonstone." The one I listened to does indeed have different narrators.

I can't stand the "full cast audiobooks" where different actors read the dialogue with a separate narrator doing the "he said" and connecting text, but multiple narrators are wonderful if the book is written that way.
Auditioned most recently via Zoom, June 2023
Strengths: Literature, History, Classical Music
Insurmountable weaknesses: Sports, Pop Music, Anagrams

"It's easy if you know it, it's hard if you don't."
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

alietr wrote:
Magna wrote:
I know I wanted to!
The main thing I remember feeling was stunned. When I watched the game later, I was thankful that I had applauded when the new champ was announced, because I didn't remember if I had done that or not--I remember thinking that I shouldn't go anywhere until my microphone was disconnected and that I should try not to fall off my podium. After they moved us over to the chat area, the former champion had a nice discussion with Alex and I don't think I said a word, which was OK because of the stunned.
aeq5006
Valued Contributor

Post by aeq5006 »

The clue writers messed up on the ionizing/non-ionizing question; it should have been just "radiation", not "electromagnetic radiation".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

aeq5006 wrote:The clue writers messed up on the ionizing/non-ionizing question; it should have been just "radiation", not "electromagnetic radiation".
It was probably written as (electromagnetic) radiation on the card. EM is a correct response but radiation would (should, at least) have been accepted.
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/radiation/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
aeq5006
Valued Contributor

Post by aeq5006 »

From the link: "The two types of ionizing radiation are particulate (alpha, beta, neutrons) and electromagnetic (x-rays, gamma rays) radiation." EM is overly specific. I guess technically OSHA warns against EM ionizing radiation, but that's misleading phrasing.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A former high school classmate of mine who lives in Cleveland decided to mock me today by posting a picture of this painting where it is currently on display at the Cleveland Museum of Art along with the name of the artist. Now she tells me!!!!!!