Friday, May 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7310, 2016-05-27

Buzzy Cohen game 10.

CONTESTANTS
Megan Hauser, an editor and stay-at-home parent from Chicago, Illinois
Erin Delaney, an English professor from North Hills, California
Buzzy Cohen, a music executive from Los Angeles, California (whose 9-day cash winnings total $164,603)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome, everyone. Our returning champion, Buzzy, is a very personable young man with a great sense of humor, and he's managed to win a lot of new fans for himself and our show over the past two weeks. Will he be able to make it into week number three? Well, we have Megan and Erin to challenge him. Good luck, ladies. Here we go. Categories for the first round of play today are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SHE-CAGO (5/5)
NUMERICAL LIT (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
I'M SO JELLY (4/5)
PODCASTS (5/5)
LAND DOWN UNDER ADJACENT-ISH (3/5)
CLASSIFIED 3 F (2/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Megan: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Buzzy: 6 R, 0 W
Erin: 7 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Erin found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Buzzy had $600, Erin had $600, and Megan had nothing in the bank. Erin wagered $1,000.

NUMERICAL LIT $800: O'Brien is the totalitarian torturer in this novel

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Erin: $4,000
Buzzy: $1,600
Megan: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Megan Hauser is a stay-at-home parent from Chicago, who has a large collection of memorabilia, I understand, from a show on which I once made a cameo appearance.

Megan: You did, in the third season. It's The X-Files. Uh, I have a large collection of memorabilia. The crown jewel is the, uh, first edition Barbies with the long-haired Scully. [Chuckles]

Alex: Do you remember the title of the episode in which I appeared?

Megan: Of course. "Jose Chung's from Outer Space".

Alex: Good for you. Wow.

Megan: I can even get the line that you said if you want... "You're getting sleepy. Very relaxed. Very sleepy"--"relaxed"--it's--there's "sleepiness" and "relaxation" in there.

[Laughter]

Alex: I got news for you. Whenever I talk to a woman, "sleep" is involved.

[Laughter]

Alex: Erin Delaney--English professor from North Hills, California.

Erin: Yes.

Alex: There's a castle in England that has a connection with your family.

Erin: Yes, yes, my grandmother's English, and we grew up with a picture in her house of the castle that shared the same last name as her maiden name, and so when we visited--

Alex: Which is...

Erin: Uh, Pomeroy.

Alex: Ah.

Erin: So when we visited England, of course, we had to visit it, because we grew up thinking it was my castle, clearly. Um...

Alex: Is it impressive?

Erin: It is, and it is haunted.

Alex: Oh.

Erin: So we had a--a great time with a bonus ghost story at grandma's castle.

Alex: Terrific. That's a good story.

Alex: All right, now we come to our champion, Buzzy Cohen. Last year, we had Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner do a whole category for us, and I understand you're very excited because they admitted that they are regular fans of Jeopardy! They watch together, and that got to you for some reason.

Buzzy: Yeah, I'm huge fans of theirs, and I heard that they watch together. Every night they tape it when it airs, so they can watch it about an hour later together and eat their deli dinner together. So when I heard I was gonna be on the show, the most exciting thing was that Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner were gonna be watching me.

Alex: That's a good reason.

[Buzzy laughs]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NUMERICAL LIT $1000: Richard Henry Dana told of life aboard a 19th century ship in "Two Years Before" this

I'M SO JELLY $1000: Born Ferdinand LaMothe in 1890, this New Orleans pianist claimed to have invented jazz

CLASSIFIED 3 F $600: Hyphenated term meaning able to supply one's own needs without external assistance

CLASSIFIED 3 F $1000: It's a stew of marinated rabbit meat garnished with sour cream

LAND DOWN UNDER ADJACENT-ISH $400: Off Mindanao, the 34,580' deep trench named for this country is one of the deepest spots in all the oceans

LAND DOWN UNDER ADJACENT-ISH $1000: The main campus of the U. of the South Pacific is in Suva, the capital of this country since 1882

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Megan: $5,200
Erin: $4,400
Buzzy: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY NOVELS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"The Gold Bug", Edgar Allan Poe’s story about the search for Captain Kidd’s buried loot, helped inspire this 1883 novel

Buzzy Cohen: 12200+8000=20200
Erin Delaney: 16400+8001=24401 ( new champ)
Megan Hauser: 7200+7000=14200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Treasure Island
Daily Doubles
Erin: 600+1000
Buzzy: 4600+4000
Megan: 9200-2000

Coryats
Buzzy: 9400
Erin: 16200
Megan: 9200

Combined: 34,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri May 27, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Re: Friday, May 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by floridagator »

I for one am not sorry to see Buzzy go. I also think he should have been negged instead of asked to be more specific for his answer of Ireland when they were going for Northern Ireland. That is simply wrong, not merely not specific enough.

Both of the challengers were worthy opponents but that third contestant sure made a lot of unnecessary noise with the signaller, didn't she? I hope the new champ has a formidable run.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote:I also think he should have been negged instead of asked to be more specific for his answer of Ireland when they were going for Northern Ireland. That is simply wrong, not merely not specific enough.
For once we agree.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

econgator wrote:
floridagator wrote:I also think he should have been negged instead of asked to be more specific for his answer of Ireland when they were going for Northern Ireland. That is simply wrong, not merely not specific enough.
For once we agree.
How many damn times has Alex made this mistake, only for them to take the money back later because Ireland is a separate country, but this time they let it slide!?? What the hell??

Instaget before Alex finished reading.

See you in the TOC, Buzzy.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
For once we agree.
Same. I'm pretty sure it didn't affect the scores, but still, consistency and accuracy.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Erin on her win, and to Buzzy on his great run. I had 43 correct responses including these triple stumpers: the mast, Jelly Roll Morton, self-sufficient, the Philippines, Fiji, Civil War, thin red line, Swiss Guards, and burned at the stake. I also got FJ.
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

And yet another set of categories that show the Jeopardy writers are Monty Python fans. :lol:
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Well Buzzy had a good run and appeared very briefly on GMA this AM for 15 seconds of fame, at least. Is Erin a librarian? Those library ladies are dangerous... grats!

42R, instaget FJ, LT: Dana: Two Years b4 the Mast; Hassenpfeffer; Philippines > Mindanao; Zoaves >Civil War; Thin Red Line; Torquemade = Inquisotor General; Burned at Stake.
Pop heavy boards. bah. :?
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Leander

Post by Leander »

goatman wrote:Well Buzzy had a good run and appeared very briefly on GMA this AM for 15 seconds of fame, at least. Is Erin a librarian? Those library ladies are dangerous... grats!
English professor, I think.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

Congrats to Erin, that was an impressive performance, go professors! Congrats also obviously to Buzzy for a great run. At least he let me stay ahead of him in total earnings!

This game reminded me a lot of my last couple of games, in the sense that the champ was obviously tired and the challengers were fresh. Having been there, I know how much the back-to-back games take out of you. Buzzy was consistently beaten at the buzzer tonight, just like I was when I played him in my last game. Also, poetic justice that he went out on an 19th-century novel FJ when the Dracula FJ played such a pivotal role in enabling his long run.

I look forward to meeting Buzzy again, first on LL in a couple of weeks (Day 9!) and then at the ToC, whenever that might be.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

goatman wrote: Pop heavy boards. bah. :?
Hear ya -- I don't like it either.

:o at "swiss guard" DD miss. Really?
econgator wrote:
For once we agree.
:o once more at non-reversal. I thought BMS on "Loyola" was little odd too -- Loyola is different from St.Ignatius of Loyola, ain't it?

Instaguess on FJ and worked out well.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
LPython
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by LPython »

Megan here. I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'm trolling the boards right after my spectacular performance. :lol: I'm as disappointed as anyone that I didn't get Swiss Guard. Definitely knew it, just couldn't pull it out in time. Dunno what to say about the clicker noise, except my hands are tiny and I was mashing it as hard as my stubby little fingers and sweaty palms would allow.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

doihavetoreally wrote:
:o once more at non-reversal. I thought BMS on "Loyola" was little odd too -- Loyola is different from St.Ignatius of Loyola, ain't it?
"Ignatius of Loyola" vs. "Ignatius Loyola" is a bit of a judgment call - although Loyola was indeed his native town, it is often treated as his surname.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

LPython wrote:Megan here. I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'm trolling the boards right after my spectacular performance. :lol: I'm as disappointed as anyone that I didn't get Swiss Guard. Definitely knew it, just couldn't pull it out in time. Dunno what to say about the clicker noise, except my hands are tiny and I was mashing it as hard as my stubby little fingers and sweaty palms would allow.
Welcome, Megan, and well done! You were up against two very good players and more than held your own, so kudos for that. The game was fun to watch too, which is more than I would say for some of the other games this week.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Only $14,200 today ( 31 / 8 / FJ: :mrgreen: ). A couple of close-but-no-cigar negs in there (lightning, bon mot).

On Final, "Captain Kidd... pirate... buried treasure... Treasure Island? When did Stevenson live? Can't think of anything else." Did not previously know both Kidd and Stevenson were Scottish.
Agree with this, and some primary sources: Article 4 of the Constitution of Ireland, the UK's Royal and Parliamentary Titles Act 1927.
pauerpoint wrote:Congrats to Erin, that was an impressive performance, go professors! Congrats also obviously to Buzzy for a great run. At least he let me stay ahead of him in total earnings!

This game reminded me a lot of my last couple of games, in the sense that the champ was obviously tired and the challengers were fresh. Having been there, I know how much the back-to-back games take out of you. Buzzy was consistently beaten at the buzzer tonight, just like I was when I played him in my last game. Also, poetic justice that he went out on an 19th-century novel FJ when the Dracula FJ played such a pivotal role in enabling his long run.

I look forward to meeting Buzzy again, first on LL in a couple of weeks (Day 9!) and then at the ToC, whenever that might be.
I updated my chart of nine-or-more game winners with a new line for Buzzy; I noticed that while Matt Jackson tracked close to Ken Jennings, Buzzy's run mirrored that of Dan Pawson. And both Dan and Buzzy were out-earned by a player in their ToC cycle with three fewer wins.

Nice connection with Dracula; I'd forgotten about that, since it was a month ago.

As for "whenever that might be"? I think it'll be next February. November would mean a short (~185 game) qualifying period, while if it goes all the way to May, they'll be at the high end (280-290 games), plus it could mean four automatic bids, which has only happened once previously (and after which TPTB stopped inviting the Teen champions). February gives you 235-245 regular games and three automatic qualifiers. But who knows - at the end of last season, I don't think most of us (myself included) we were expecting a November ToC...
ron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ron »

The Ireland thing really bugs me. If you were to say "Africa" for "South Africa," would you get a BMS? Or "Virginia" instead of "West Virginia?" By giving Ireland a BMS you're giving a free pass to someone who got the question wrong--it's not like they're going to follow up with "what is regular Ireland, not northern Ireland?"
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

mfc248 wrote: A couple of close-but-no-cigar negs in there (lightning, bon mot).
I said "pfeffenhaase" for the rabbit stew, instead of "haasenpfeffer." Oops. Tried it on vacation in Aruba once, did not like it at all (very gamey), also it was really too hot down there to be eating a North European game dish.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

pauerpoint wrote:
LPython wrote:Megan here. I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'm trolling the boards right after my spectacular performance. :lol: I'm as disappointed as anyone that I didn't get Swiss Guard. Definitely knew it, just couldn't pull it out in time. Dunno what to say about the clicker noise, except my hands are tiny and I was mashing it as hard as my stubby little fingers and sweaty palms would allow.
Welcome, Megan, and well done! You were up against two very good players and more than held your own, so kudos for that. The game was fun to watch too, which is more than I would say for some of the other games this week.
I was going to say pretty much exactly this. I hope you'll stick around, Megan!

Add me to the "yelled at the TV when Alex BMS'ed Ireland" list.

FJ response was along the lines of "either it's Treasure Island or I have no idea what it is".

I enjoyed watching Buzzy, but I look forward to seeing Erin play next week.