TD: 298: The 70th Tony Awards (Final results posted)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

TD: 298: The 70th Tony Awards (Final results posted)

Post by Tigershark »

Welcome my 6th TD quiz, all about this year's Tony Awards.

The Rules (it's mostly the same as my last quiz):

1. Like other TD quizzes, the goal is give the least popular answer. You may select one answer for each question. You will get one point for each person who gave that answer (including yourself). Lowest score at the end of the quiz wins.

2. For one (1) question, you may select the option DROP for which you will receive a score of zero (0). You may use this option only once. If you do not use this option, you will receive a bonus of minus six (-6).

3. Additionally, for one additional question you may select the option SHEEP, for which you will receive a score equal to the higher of the most popular (Sheep) answer or the number of people selecting SHEEP.

4. Incorrect answers are equal to the Sheep answer plus five (+5).

5. There are several bonus questions for minus one (-1) each. Most of them are fairly obscure.

6. Ties will be broken based on the tiebreaker question.

7. On questions where there are letter choices, you MUST include the letter, or I will count it wrong. PLEASE check your answers carefully before sending, because I WILL NOT send PMs to remind you to correct your response. There are a couple of questions where on one of the letter choices I ask name one of the three..., ect. On all of those, unique responses will be scored seperately

8. PM answers to me or use the Google Form. Do not post answers in the thread.

9. The Deadline for entry is Monday June 6 at 8 p.m. PT.

10. No cheating. All answers must come from your own brain.
Last edited by Tigershark on Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

TD: 298 Questions

Post by Tigershark »

These questions are inspired by the 70th Annual Antoinette Perry Awards, which will take place on June 12 at 8 p.m. ET.

1. This year's Tony Awards will be hosted by James Corden. James Corden is the current host of the Late Late Show on CBS. One popular skit on the Late Late Show is Carpool Karaoke. Name an artist or group who has been featured on Carpool Karaoke. (At least possible 18 answers)

Bonus 1: James Corden made his Broadway debut in which play by Alan Bennett, winner of the 2006 Tony Award for Best Play?

Bonus 2: Personally, my favorite skit on the Late Late Show is "Inappropriate Musicals" in which James Corden presents scenes from musicals based on movies that should never be made into musicals. Name one of the six movies that has been featured on Inappropriate Musicals.

This years nominees for Best Musical are Bright Star, Hamilton, School of Rock, Shuffle Along, and Waitress.

2. Bright Star is a musical by Steve Martin and Edie Brickell set in North Carolina. It's the only musical I know of set in North Carolina. Every year, I bitch about how the Tony Awards are not broadcast live on the West Coast. Some years, I don't really mind because it saves me the trouble of switching back and forth between the NBA Finals and the Tony Awards. But not this year, since I only care about the NBA Finals when the Spurs are playing. In honor of this, name a player on the San Antonio Spurs, Miami Heat, Cleveland Cavilers, Golden State Warriors, Oklahoma City Thunder, or Los Angeles Clippers who played college basketball at a school in North Carolina. (Need to get an exact count on the number of answers, but there are at least 14)

Bonus: Steve Martin has written several plays, but not enough for a full question, so as a bonus, name the famous artist who is the title character in Steve Martin's best known play.

3. Unless you've been under a rock for the past few months, you have heard of Hamilton, the musical based on the life of Founding Father Alexander Hamilton. Name a historical figure other than Alexander Hamilton who is a principal character in the musical Hamilton. Just to clarify principal characters are the ones played by Daveed Diggs, Renee Elise Goldsberry, Jonathon Groff, Christopher Jackson, Jasmine Cephas Jones, Leslie Odom Jr., Okieriete Onaodowan, Anthony Ramos, and Phillipa Soo, only.

Bonus: Hamilton features several sly references to other musicals. Name three. (There are at least five. Hamilton: The Revolution mentions four of them specifically, and there is a fifth one that is a clear reference that I will accept.)

4. School of Rock is based on a film starring Jack Black. It features a score partially composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber and a book by Julian Fellows, which seems like the last two you would expect to collaborate on a musical based on a Jack Black film. Since Julian Fellows career was chronicled in a recent TD, I'm going to focus Webber. Given two songs, name the ALW show.
Spoiler
A. Moments of Happiness; The Journey to the Heavenside Layer
B. If Only; When Children Rule the World
C. Little Lottie; Poor Fool, He Makes Me Laugh
D. Unexpected Song; Take that Look Off Your Face
E. Goodnight and Thank You; Rainbow Tour
F. Heaven on Their Minds; Everything's Alright
G. All For Laura; I Can Get Away with Anything
H. Girl Meets Boy; The Perfect Year
I. Rolling Stock; One Rock and Roll Too Many
J. One More Angel in Heaven; Who's the Theif?
K. Seeing is Believing; The First Man You Remember
L. The Beauty Underneath; Devil Take the Hindmost
5. Shuffle Along, or, the Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and All That Followed tells the story of the mounting of the original musical Shuffle Along, which was a surprise hit. In honor of Shuffle Along, Identify one of the following people born in 1921.
Spoiler
A. Author of psychological thriller novels such as Strangers on a Train and The Talented Mr. Ripley.
B. Actress who won an Oscar for From Here to Eternity. She is best known as playing a mother and housewife on a self-titled sitcom.
C. Actress who is best known for originating the title role in Hello Dolly!
D. Activist who wrote The Feminine Mystique.
E. Actress who starred in The Postman Always Rings Twice and Peyton Place.
F. New anchor and game show host who was the host of 20/20 from 1978 to 1999.
G. Actress best known for roles in An Affair to Remember and The King and I.
H. Consort of the reigning British Monarch.
I. Former U.S. Senator and astronaut, who in 1998 became the oldest person in space.
J. First Lady from 1981-1989.
K. Actress best known for performing in elaborate synchronized swimming sequences.
L. Television producer, best known for Star Trek.
6. The final Tony nominated musical is Waitress, which is based on the film starring Keri Russell and Nathan Fillion. Identify one of the following movies or TV shows featuring fictional waitress(es).

A-D
Spoiler
E-H
Spoiler
I-L
Spoiler
The nominations for Best Revival of a Musical are The Color Purple, Fiddler on the Roof, She Love Me, and Spring Awakening.

7. Answer one of the following questions about the nominees for Best Revival of a Musical.
Spoiler
A. Name the author of the 1982 novel The Color Purple.
B. Name the director of the 1985 film The Color Purple.
C. She Loves Me is based on the play Parfumerie by Miklos Laszlo. This play inspired this 1940 film starring Jimmy Stewart.
D. Parfumerie also inspired this 1998 film starring Tom Hanks.
E. Name the Broadway diva and Kennedy Center honoree who originated the role of Amalia in the original production of She Loves Me.
F. Fiddler on the Roof is based the story Tevye and his Daughters. Name one of Tevye's daughters that sings in the trio Matchmaker in the musical.
The original production of Spring Awaking launched many careers. Identify one of the actors below who appeared in the original Broadway Production of Spring Awakening
G. A Tony nominee this year, he is probably best known for a recurring role on Glee and voicing a Disney animated character.
H. She starred in Glee and Scream Queens.
I. She played Tina Cohen-Chang on Glee.
J. In 2016, he got engaged to his costar of Pitch Perfect and Pitch Perfect 2. He also appeared on Glee.
Bonus: What actor from Game of Thrones won an Olivier Award (the London equivalent of a Tony) for the original London production of Spring Awakening? And no, he never appeared on Glee.

This year's nominees for Best Play are Eclipsed, The Humans, The Father, and King Charles III.

8. Eclipsed is a play about five women and their tale of survival during the second Liberian Civil War. The play is set in Liberia. The capital city of Liberia is Monrovia. Name a country, other than Liberia with a capital city that starts with the letter M. (17 possible answers)

Bonus: Which play by Lynn Nottage, winner of the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for Drama, deals with similar themes to Eclipsed, but is set in the Democratic Republic of Congo?

9. The Humans is about a family coming together for Thanksgiving. In honor of this, given the name a Thanksgiving episode of a TV show and the air date, name the show.
Spoiler
A. Over the River and Through the Woods (1975)
B. Turkey’s Away (1978)
C. Thanksgiving Orphans (1986)
D. Bart vs. Thanksgiving (1990)
E. The Mom and Pop Store (1994)
F. The One with All the Thanksgivings (1998)
G. Pangs (1999)
H. The Indians in the Lobby (2001)
I. A Deep Fried Korean Thanksgiving (2002)
J. Four Thanksgivings and a Funeral (2006)
K. Blair Waldorf Must Pie (2007)
L. Slapsgiving (2007)
10. The Father is a French play that won the Moliere Award (The French equivalent of the Tony Award). Name a play by Moliere. (Many possible answers)

11. King Charles III is a play that images what happens when Prince Charles becomes king of Great Britain. Yay! This gives me an excuse to write a question about the British monarchy. Name a monarch of England or Great Britain that reigned after 1066 who was not the son or daughter of any previous monarch of England or Great Britain. Just to clarify a few things- disputed claimants are incorrect answers. In order for an answer to be correct, he/she must have had a coronation at Westminster Abbey (only two official monarchs were never crowned, and neither is a correct answer). However, if someone was the child of a disputed monarch who was never crowned, I will accept that as a correct answer. (13 possible answers)

Every year, eight acting Tonys are awarded. They are divided between Actor/Actress, Plays/Musicals, and Leading/Featured (aka supporting). The next three questions are about some of the acting nominees.

12. The nominees for Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play are Jessica Lange for A Long Days Journey Into Night, Laurie Metcalf for Misery, Lupita Nyong'o for Eclipsed, Sophie Okonedo for The Crucible, and Michelle Williams for Blackbird. Answer one of the following questions about these actresses:
Spoiler
A. Jessica Lange has won two Academy Awards. Name either film she has won an Oscar for. One was released in 1982 and the other was released in 1994.
B. Jessica Lange won an Emmy Award for her role in this 2009 HBO movie. It was based on a 1975 documentary. The documentary inspired a 2006 musical.
C. Jessica Lange won Emmy Awards in 2012 and 2014 for her work on this series.
D. Laurie Metcalf won three Emmy Awards for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy for her work on this series, which ran from 1988 to 1997.
E. Lupita Nyong’o won an Academy Award for this film.
F. Sophie Okonado received an Academy Award nomination for this 2004 film.
G. Sophie Okonado won a Tony Award for her role in the 2014 revival of this 1959 play. Audra McDonald won a Tony in 2004 for the same role.
H. This is the first Tony nomination for Michelle Williams, but she has been nominated for an Academy Award three times. Name one of the films in which she was nominated for an Oscar.
I. Michelle Williams made her Broadway debut in a revival this 1966 musical in 2014. This was actually the third time this particular production was revived on Broadway- the first was in 1998 and the second was in 2012. The 2012 and 2014 revivals both featured 2016 Tony nominee Danny Burstein, who received a Tony nomination in 2012.
13. This years nominees for Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical are Laura Benanti for She Loves Me, Carmen Cusak for Bright Star, Cynthia Erivo for The Color Purple, Jessie Mueller for Waitress, and Phillipa Soo for Hamilton. Answer one of the following questions about these actresses:
Spoiler
A. Laura Benanti made her Broadway debut at age 18 in a 1998 revival of this 1959 musical. She was featured in a 2013 television version of the show, albeit in a different role.
B. Laura Benanti received her second Tony nomination for 2002 revival of this Stephen Sondheim musical. Jessie Mueller played the same role the 2012 production in Central Park.
C. Laura Benanti won a Tony for Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical for playing the title role in a 2008 revival of a 1959 show.
D. Laura Benanti received her fourth Tony nomination for this short-lived musical based on, and sharing a title with, a 1988 Pedro Amodovar film.
E. At the 2013 Tony Awards Laura Benanti was featured in a comedic song about Broadway actors being unsuccessful in TV. She was referring specifically to her role as a grief counselor on this 2012-2013 sitcom, cancelled after one season.
F. Laura Benanti currently has a recurring role on this TV show, which will be moving to the CW network for its second season.
G. This is Carmen Cusak's Broadway debut, but she has had some major roles in touring productions. She was also featured in 2012 Off-Broadway revival of this 1988 musical, which was based on a 1974 novel of the same title. The original Broadway production closed after five performances and is one of the most legendary flops in Broadway history.
H. Jessie Mueller won a Tony for her portrayal of this singer-songwriter in the musical Beautiful.
I. Jessie Mueller's first Tony nomination was for a 2013 revival of this 1965 musical about a woman with ESP. It was adapted into a 1970 film starring Barbara Streisand.
J. This is the Broadway debut for Cynthia Erivo, who plays Celie in The Color Purple. Name the actress who won the Tony for playing Celie in the original 2006 production.
K. Name the actress who earned an Academy Award nomination for playing Celie in the 1985 film of The Color Purple.
L. Phillipa Soo is another actress making her Broadway debut. She recently got engaged to this actor, who played Mark Furhman in American Crime Story: The People vs. OJ Simpson. He also happens to be Laura Benanti's ex-husband.
14. This years nominees for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical are Alex Brightman for School of Rock, Danny Burstein for Fiddler on the Roof, Zachary Levi for She Loves Me, Lin-Manuel Miranda for Hamilton, and Leslie Odom, Jr. for Hamilton. The nominees for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play are Gabriel Byrne for A Long Days Journey Into Night, Frank Langella for The Father, Tim Pigott-Smith for King Charles III, Mark Strong for A View from the Bridge, and Jeff Daniels for Blackbird. Originally I planned to write a question for each category, but the quiz was already pretty long, so I combined them into one question. Answer one of the following questions about these actors:
Spoiler
A. This is Lin-Manuel Miranda’s second Tony nomination. His first cam for this show, which he co-wrote.
B. Danny Burstein’s first Tony nomination was in 2006 for playing Latin lothario Aldolpho in the original production of this musical.
C. Danny Burstein earned a Tony nomination for playing Luther Billis in the 2008 revival of this 1949 musical.
D. Danny Burstein was nominated for playing Buddy Plummer in a 2012 revival of this 1971 musical which features the famous songs “Broadway Baby” and “I’m Still Here.”
E. Prior to Hamilton, Leslie Odom Jr.’s best known role was playing Sam Strickland on this NBC show which ran for two seasons from 2012-2013.
F. Zachary Levi is best known for playing the title role on this TV show which ran from 2007-2012.
G. Zachary Levi provided the voice to this animated Disney character.
H. Zachary Levi made his Broadway debut in this 2013 musical.
I. Jeff Daniels received his first Tony nomination for this play by Yasmina Reza, which won the Tony Best Play in 2009. The original production also starred James Gandolfini , Hope Davis, and Marcia Gay Harden.
J. This is Gabriel Byrne’s second Tony nomination. His first came for this Eugene O’Neill play, which is a sequel to A Long Day’s Journey Into Night.
K. Frank Langella won his first of three Tonys for this 1975 play in which he played a sea lizard. It won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama.
L. Frank Langella’s third Tony came for this 2007 play. He was nominated for an Academy Award for the 2008 film version of this play.
Tiebreaker Question: Name as many Original productions (Play or Musical) that opened this season that did not receive a nomination for Best Play or Best Musical.
Last edited by Tigershark on Mon May 30, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD: 298

Post by Tigershark »

For the bonus on question 3: I am looking for three shows. I've gotten several responses that have only submitted one or two. Note: there are more than three correct answers to this question.

For the tiebreaker- I am looking for a list of plays/musicals, not a number estimate. There are eleven total: 5 plays and 6 musicals. You can guess as many as you like, within reason. I probably will not be happy if I get a guess of twenty titles.

Participants: 29
Spoiler
econgator
jev15
totebags
dnbguy
quarterrican
MarkBarrett
Ryno
ElendilPickle
immaf
mitchparov
Leander
pauerpoint
Gamawire
Plactus
dott888
Armandillo
BroadwayBaby
ihavejeoprosy
Tabby
BigDaddyMatty
Linear Gnome
tjconn728
RandyG
barandall800
ChexMix
9021amyers
Carpe Diem
SavoyGirl
coach P
Last edited by Tigershark on Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: TD: 298: The 70th Tony Awards (questions posted)

Post by Tigershark »

Questions have have been posted! Have fun and good luck!

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say, holy crap this is hard.

Armandillo
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Armandillo »

Pictures I-L on Question 6 appear to not be loading.

TD looks great. I can't wait until I have 10 hours free to sit down and do this :D

Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

Armandillo wrote:Pictures I-L on Question 6 appear to not be loading.

TD looks great. I can't wait until I have 10 hours free to sit down and do this :D
Fixed. The link is there as well.

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

Laura Benanti has sure been in a lot of unsuccessful TV projects: the one I had pre-called upon reading Question 13 isn't even among any of those clues!

I also just saw a touring production of a musical that originally starred on of the other actresses in question, so that's at least one guaranteed correct response. (Fun fact: the actress' role in that particular touring production has been inherited by her younger sister.)

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

econgator wrote:I'm sure I'm not alone when I say, holy crap this is hard.
You're definitely not alone!

Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

9021amyers wrote:Laura Benanti has sure been in a lot of unsuccessful TV projects: the one I had pre-called upon reading Question 13 isn't even among any of those clues!
I could have made a whole question on her TV and theatre credits because she has so many of them, especially when compared to the other nominees. I really wanted to put something about the fact that she played Julia in the musical adaptation of "The Wedding Singer," but I decided six of her roles were enough.

gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Magna wrote:
econgator wrote:I'm sure I'm not alone when I say, holy crap this is hard.
You're definitely not alone!
They're not all hard - just the Broadway ones!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Yay! I love Tigershark TDs!

<looks at questions>

Erm. Hmmm.

immaf

Post by immaf »

For question #1, do you mean someone who has participated, or someone whose music was "covered"?
Teems with quiet fun.

mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

Is there any penalty for an incorrect answer on a bonus?

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Tony Awards... They still have those?

Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

immaf wrote:For question #1, do you mean someone who has participated, or someone whose music was "covered"?
Someone who participated.
mitchparov wrote:Is there any penalty for an incorrect answer on a bonus?
Nope. Feel free to guess. Judging from the responses I've seen so far, I have a feeling every actor who has ever appeared on Game of Thrones will be guessed on the bonus for question 7.

immaf

Post by immaf »

Tigershark wrote:
immaf wrote:For question #1, do you mean someone who has participated, or someone whose music was "covered"?
Someone who participated.
Yay!
Teems with quiet fun.

Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

A couple of clarifications based on the answers I've seen:

For the bonus on question 3: I am looking for three shows. I've gotten several responses that have only submitted one or two. Note: there are more than three correct answers to this question.

For the tiebreaker- I am looking for a list of plays/musicals, not a number estimate. There are eleven total: 5 plays and 6 musicals. You can guess as many as you like, within reason. I probably will not be happy if I get a guess of twenty titles.

One question is proving more difficult than I expected, and I will probably revise it tonight.

totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

Tigershark wrote:A couple of clarifications based on the answers I've seen:

One question is proving more difficult than I expected, and I will probably revise it tonight.
If we've submitted responses already, can we update them in light of your revision?

Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

totebags wrote:
Tigershark wrote:A couple of clarifications based on the answers I've seen:

If we've submitted responses already, can we update them in light of your revision?
Yes!