Wednesday, June 1, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ugh, why does even a little rain turn my recordings into a stuttery tiling mess every time?

WLT Wrigley Field at $200?

Swashbuckling was my only get in "Uck". The others were just not connecting (oh, you literally meant YOUR homeland?!).

Ran "Cl"assical music somehow.

NHO "rapture" in the apocalyptic context, just in the term of "being raptured".

"Wow" / "huh" was a total negbait clue.

0/5 in Ohio Presidents. I can barely even remember most of their names, much less what states any of them are from.

How did we run out of time in both rounds?

No guess on FJ! I agree that we're scraping the bottom of the barrel on FJ! right now...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Wrigley Field at $200?
Ivy
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Edit: Wrong Thread. I am a dunce.

Edit2: To add something to the thread, I will concur with the majority opinion that the past two FJ's have been real stinkers.
Last edited by CrunchyTaco on Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Plactus »

econgator wrote:
Ivy
And Cubs.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Plactus wrote:
econgator wrote:
Ivy
And Cubs.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4479
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

I also thought the Geography Rhyme was unusually hard for J category. I normally do OK in Geography...but found today's category/clues really tough. Felt more like DJ round at least. How was it for you?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

doihavetoreally wrote:I also thought the Geography Rhyme was unusually hard for J category. I normally do OK in Geography...but found today's category/clues really tough. Felt more like DJ round at least. How was it for you?
I suck at geography and got all but $800. I thought the rhymes really telegraphed them pretty well, but I just didn't have enough to shift to the right "land" in time.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Rowing just felt right for the first sport posh Ivy Leaguers would compete in... but... yeah... I'll definitely overlook my 'Well, I got it right, how hard could it have been?' guideline if this one makes it to the Worst FJ poll.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

As someone who laughs at the sports jeopardy test, as someone who would have laughed when the FJ category was announced, I don't think there's a person out there that would have KNOWN this. Maybe stumble into the correct answer, but it's in no way a YEKIOYD.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kelly's DJ! round was better than her J! round. That's what matters. She got a couple of categories favorable to her and took off.

The carousel is spinning this week. Anyone have the brakes?

Atlas, von Bulow, Van Cliburn and kissing were four trash pickups I had time to note. My blood pressure says thank you that Boogie Nights was collected. Now there's a movie.

A miss for me on the FJ! clue once again unable to make it a double Wednesday to go with solving the Sports J! clue. My guess was wrestling. Water gets me again. Writers: How about something for landlubbers tomorrow? :)

Reminder for ABC viewers in the west - NBA Finals:
Spoiler
Thursday 6/2: Game 1
Wednesday 6/8: Game 3
Friday 6/10: Game 4
Monday 6/13: Game 5
Thursday 6/16: Game 6

Game 2 will Sunday the 5th and Game 7 if needed will be Sunday the 19th.

KGO has J! listed for 10:30 p.m. tomorrow after Kimmel. Check your local listings for each of the weekday nights listed above if you are in the affected area because J! will not be on at 7 or 7:30.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I was running the "CL" category right up to Well Tempered ... Clavichord. Sigh. I totally knew it was clavier. But I'd precalled clavichord, so I had that stuck in my head. I'm not an idiot. I know you can't tune a collarbone.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

opusthepenguin wrote:That FJ was riDICulous. Goes back "at least to the middle ages"?!?!! Why would I pick rowing? I assume competitive rowing goes back to prehistoric times. Am I supposed to know that we happen not to have any accounts of rowing competitions in, say, the Roman Empire . . .
Um, actually, we do.

Rowing is one of the funeral sports in the Aenead (25-ish BC). I'm sure there are other sources that are older.

I also find it hard to believe that school club teams never met to play rounders, given that soldiers played something like it at Valley Forge.

So, yeah. Nobody on Sports Jeopardy would get it either, because Howie Schwab wouldn't have let it go to air.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

opusthepenguin wrote:I was running the "CL" category right up to Well Tempered ... Clavichord. Sigh. I totally knew it was clavier. But I'd precalled clavichord, so I had that stuck in my head. I'm not an idiot. I know you can't tune a collarbone.
To me, a clavier is this:

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Anyone else go with archery? (About as much a team sport as javelin, I suppose…)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
brick

Post by brick »

Taking swashbuckling when swashbuckler was clearly indicated was interesting.

FJ I said golf. Better team sport than javelins at any rate!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 right.

Name (5), "UCK" (4), Ivy (3), Role (4), Ohio (3), Rhyme (2)
Poetry (1), Left (4), Nobel (1), Eponym (1), Tele (2), "CL" (1)

Lach Trash: Clock (Symphony), Sunny Von Bulow

I briefly considered fencing, but went with golf as well.
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

I said wrestling for FJ. I know it goes back before the Middle Ages, but the clue said, "at least."

Look out for those librarians!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote:Went with fencing, and was sure I had it. Not a good clue at all.
Same here. The middle ages bit seemed like a huge TOM leading to fencing and it seems like the kind of sport elite eastern schools would have played in those days (mid 1800s I mean). I supposed the category having "team" in it led away from fencing unless they had a melee as an early event in college fencing. :)
golf wrote:As someone who laughs at the sports jeopardy test, as someone who would have laughed when the FJ category was announced, I don't think there's a person out there that would have KNOWN this
Come on, now. I'm sure there are plenty of people who know what the first U.S. college sport was, and I'm sure most rowers would know it.

Rowing is an interesting college sport in that it's not governed by the NCAA (for men) even to this day.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

The TOM isn't supposed to make the clue harder! Any chance I had of getting that right disappeared with that.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:I assume competitive rowing goes back to prehistoric times.
While DoT picked a good job at finding an early example, I don't think they rowed competitively in prehistoric times. I'm sure they rowed, but they might not have thought to compete in it yet. (Perhaps it was codified in the middle ages, making it a "sport" rather than a "competition"? Still far from the best clue. Not often I get to recall two clues in the same week that will make it to Mark's "Worst FJs of the Quarter" poll in a few months.)
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO "rapture" in the apocalyptic context, just in the term of "being raptured".
Uhhh, that *is* the apocalyptic context. If a significant number of people were raptured in the sense you know of the term, then it'd be a pretty big apocalypse for those left behind to suddenly deal with the aftermath. (Tim LaHaye and the other guy know that better than anyone.)
TenPoundHammer wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:I also thought the Geography Rhyme was unusually hard for J category. I normally do OK in Geography...but found today's category/clues really tough. Felt more like DJ round at least. How was it for you?
I suck at geography and got all but $800. I thought the rhymes really telegraphed them pretty well, but I just didn't have enough to shift to the right "land" in time.
Interesting, like doihaveto, Geography is a wheelhouse (well, maybe doihaveto didn't say it was a wheelhouse per se) but I had a lot of trouble with that as well,l only getting the first one I think. Congrats for beating the smart kids, TPH.
opusthepenguin wrote:I was running the "CL" category right up to Well Tempered ... Clavichord. Sigh. I totally knew it was clavier. But I'd precalled clavichord, so I had that stuck in my head. I'm not an idiot. I know you can't tune a collarbone.
Nope, I'd be the idiot. OK, I'm not a total moron, I didn't give "clavicle" as my answer, but I used to think it was the name of the piece, and I physically had to restrain myself from answering "clavicle" so I could answer "clavichord" instead. *facepalm*
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012