Wednesday, June 1, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:I was running the "CL" category right up to Well Tempered ... Clavichord. Sigh. I totally knew it was clavier. But I'd precalled clavichord, so I had that stuck in my head. I'm not an idiot. I know you can't tune a collarbone.
Nope, I'd be the idiot. OK, I'm not a total moron, I didn't give "clavicle" as my answer, but I used to think it was the name of the piece, and I physically had to restrain myself from answering "clavicle" so I could answer "clavichord" instead. *facepalm*
Ha! That is so awesome.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I went with Rugby.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Plactus wrote:
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Wrigley Field at $200?
Ivy
And Cubs.
And chewing.

chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Guessed Lacrosse because it was a team sport played in the middle ages. Rowing was my second guess because of college even though I suspected (apparently correctly) that it dates back to before medieval times, though to be fair my source on that is wikipedia + this thread. Image I've never actually read the Aeneid.

Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

Vermonter wrote:Anyone else go with archery? (About as much a team sport as javelin, I suppose…)
I did, because the middle-ages part threw me. I was also wondering about wrestling and golf. If they had skipped the medieval distraction and thrown in the Harvard-Yale aspect or something, it would have been instaget. But middle ages - which is specific to Europe and conjures up very different ideas of sports - threw me off of what's stored in my brain somewhere and I started trying to figure out when sports were invented. Which eliminates most current sports. You can have teams in any sport - even javelin (just don't try to catch it). It's all in how the sport is scored.

So, yeah, bad FJ.

Leander

Post by Leander »

Volante wrote:Rowing just felt right for the first sport posh Ivy Leaguers would compete in... but... yeah... I'll definitely overlook my 'Well, I got it right, how hard could it have been?' guideline if this one makes it to the Worst FJ poll.
After stumbling around a lot of the other guesses in this thread, I came up with rowing based on this logic and a vague feeling that the Oxford/Cambridge races might have gone back quite a ways and been adopted in the US.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

JillyJill wrote:I said wrestling for FJ. I know it goes back before the Middle Ages, but the clue said, "at least."
I guess we're the only ones so far.

Speaking of idiotic guesses in the "Cl"assical Music category, on the first clue I forgot the category and said, "I dunno, what is the oboe?" Would have been better off with a clam rather than that clamity.

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

That rainbow/Rimbaud thing was strange. It sounded like the contestant answered "Rimbaud" but Alex said "correct, rainbows." She looked like she was surprised to get credit. Or maybe I just misunderstood the pun.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Having experience in rowing on an Ivy League crew (coxswain, actually), you'd think I'd have gotten this one, but no.

And speaking of fencing ... When I was somewhere around 10 or 12, a friend of the family took me down to UPenn for a fencing match. I was put to use as a timer for the women's matches. I guess I was doing well, because they then gave me a men's match to time. I watched the clock very carefully, and when the round was over, I yelled "Time!". Everyone there stopped, turned, and stared at me. I was mortified and had no idea what I might have done wrong. Apparently no one bothered to tell me that the men's rounds were one minute longer.

Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

Agree with many others that the FJ clue was flawed. I got it only because I just finished reading The Boys in the Boat, Daniel James Brown's marvelous book about the University of Washington varsity eight that won gold in Berlin in 1936. Brown wrote, "(t)he first collegiate crew race in America -- and in fact the first American intercollegiate athletic event of any kind -- took place between Harvard and Yale in 1852, on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire."

davey

Post by davey »

Woppy T wrote:That rainbow/Rimbaud thing was strange. It sounded like the contestant answered "Rimbaud" but Alex said "correct, rainbows." She looked like she was surprised to get credit. Or maybe I just misunderstood the pun.
If Rainbows were a French word it would sound like Rimbaud. That's the pun, so I assume that's why it was accepted.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Fleeboy wrote:Agree with many others that the FJ clue was flawed. I got it only because I just finished reading The Boys in the Boat, Daniel James Brown's marvelous book about the University of Washington varsity eight that won gold in Berlin in 1936.
I also read it recently, but not recently enough, I guess!

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO "rapture" in the apocalyptic context, just in the term of "being raptured".
Uhhh, that *is* the apocalyptic context. If a significant number of people were raptured in the sense you know of the term, then it'd be a pretty big apocalypse for those left behind to suddenly deal with the aftermath. (Tim LaHaye and the other guy know that better than anyone.)
So joy and ecstasy = apocalypse? Not getting it.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO "rapture" in the apocalyptic context, just in the term of "being raptured".
Uhhh, that *is* the apocalyptic context. If a significant number of people were raptured in the sense you know of the term, then it'd be a pretty big apocalypse for those left behind to suddenly deal with the aftermath. (Tim LaHaye and the other guy know that better than anyone.)
It's joy and ecstasy because they're going to heaven, get it?

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
I thought we were talking about The Rapture, a relatively recent (mid-19th century, or mid-18th at the earliest) Christian belief that God will take Christians up into heaven prior to the second coming of Christ and the final judgment. In this sense, it is called "rapture" because believers are "taken up" into heaven. It's from the Latin word rapere, meaning "to seize". While joy and ecstasy may be presumed to result, I don't think that's part of the meaning of "rapture" in The Rapture.

Predating this meaning, "rapture" can indeed refer to a feeling of joy and ecstasy as though one has been taken up into heaven--spiritually rather than bodily. I think TPH understood "being raptured" in this sense. If so, I can understand why he did not see any connection to the "apocalyptic disappearing acts" referenced in the clue.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was another one who thought archery was the answer.

OrangeSAM

Post by OrangeSAM »

I'm surprised at the number of lacrosse references in this thread since its Native American origin is fairly well known. I figured that the US colleges would be emulating something the Europeans were doing and guessed rowing.
OCSam

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

opusthepenguin wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
I thought we were talking about The Rapture, a relatively recent (mid-19th century, or mid-18th at the earliest) Christian belief that God will take Christians up into heaven prior to the second coming of Christ and the final judgment. In this sense, it is called "rapture" because believers are "taken up" into heaven. It's from the Latin word rapere, meaning "to seize". While joy and ecstasy may be presumed to result, I don't think that's part of the meaning of "rapture" in The Rapture.

Predating this meaning, "rapture" can indeed refer to a feeling of joy and ecstasy as though one has been taken up into heaven--spiritually rather than bodily. I think TPH understood "being raptured" in this sense. If so, I can understand why he did not see any connection to the "apocalyptic disappearing acts" referenced in the clue.
And what does all this have to do with a man from Mars who eats cars, bars, and guitars?
Sprinkles are for winners.

soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

xxaaaxx wrote:So they didn't row before the Middle Ages!? Whatever. I went with lacrosse. I guess this was a YEKIO...GFY. At least that's what I felt the writers were telling us.
Volante wrote:Rowing just felt right for the first sport posh Ivy Leaguers would compete in... but... yeah... I'll definitely overlook my 'Well, I got it right, how hard could it have been?' guideline if this one makes it to the Worst FJ poll.
I agree that it wasn't a great clue, but I'm still surprised that so few seem to have gotten it. My thought was similar to Volante's. "Old college sport? Guys at Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Cambridge competing in the 1800s? Gotta be rowing." Maybe it helps I live in Boston so I see the Head of the Charles every year, or that I didn't focus too much on the US part, and knew that Oxford and Cambridge have been rowing against each other forever.

If they took out the Middle Ages reference, I think it would have been a perfectly fine clue, but I can see how that could have thrown people off. It did help rule out games from the ancient Olympics, like athletics and wrestling (the definition of "team" isn't super clear - if you compete individually but score as a team, is it a team sport?). Maybe that's why they included it?

cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

[wrong thread]
Last edited by cf1140 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.