Sports Jeopardy! EP. 37 (6-1-16) [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Sports Jeopardy! EP. 37 (6-1-16) [Spoilers]

Post by MarkBarrett »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BASEBALL HALL OF FAMERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 players who died young in 1941 & 1972 were both inducted less than a year after their final games

Thayer Gallison: 20000+4501=24501 (3x = $15,000)
Susan Herder: 2500-0=2500 http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=3620
Colin Reimer: 12250+8000=20250

Correct response:
Spoiler
Lou Gehrig & Roberto Clemente (Susan - Clemente & Munson)
Scoreboard puzzle:
Spoiler
19 - 67
10 - 35
The puzzle is easy, so I'll use the hints to add to the common knowledge.

Hint 1:
Spoiler
Norm Schachter
Hint 2:
Spoiler
NBC & CBS
Hint 3:
Spoiler
Al Hirt, and the marching bands from the University of Arizona and Grambling State University
Scoreboard answer:
Spoiler
Super Bowl I was played January 15, 1967 and was won by the Green Bay Packers 35-10 over the Kansas City Chiefs. The referee was Norm Schachter, the game was televised by both NBC & CBS and Al Hirt along with the marching bands of U. of AZ and Grambling State performed the half-time show.
Daily Doubles
Thayer: 5750-2750
Thayer: 7000+500
Thayer: 10000+2000

Coryats
Thayer: 23750
Susan: 2500
Colin: 12250

Combined: 38,500

Episode title: "It's Only Cheating If You Get Caught"

The FJ! round category had me optimistic for a solve. The clue had me lock in Clemente immediately for the 1972 portion. The 1941 portion had me needing a few seconds to get rid of any WWII thoughts and it was a nice "Aha! moment" when I realized it was of course Gehrig that completed the clue.

Susan: I knew you would be on in June, but I had forgotten it was today, so it was a nice surprise when I saw you pop up from the holding area. Sorry the game did not go better for you while congrats on getting to play on that stage again. At least you got the Terry Bradshaw clue as one of your correct responses.

Thayer won although he seemed to play as once bitten, twice shy after missing his first Daily Double. Fortunately, for him he knew the FJ! clue and did not allow Colin to complete any comeback attempt.

Fogey stumper I could not miss since I saw him play in person? Cesar Geronimo played for...THE REDS!

Season 2 leaderboard: (There has been no indication about any kind of season-ending finals or tournament)
Spoiler
Vinny Varadarajan - 15 wins & $75,000
(19001+30000+18999+15000+30001+21501+16001+20545+12500+25095+22222+17503+20750+14500+23500)
Roy Hollis - 5 wins & 25,000 (2499 + 24000 + 14750 + 23001+41001)
Thayer Gallison - 3 wins & $15,000* (22001+22222+24501)
Rick Karl - 3 wins & $15,000 (4501+14501+28499)
Jay Sullivan - 2 wins & $10,000 (25001+18501)
Ron Freshour - 2 wins & $10,000 (7750+17750)
Ray Nhan - 2 wins & $10,000 (11250+20500)
Keenan Bigg - 2 wins & $10,000 (26500+12500)
Bryan Barton - 1 win & $5,000 (21500)
*still active

Celebrity guest games for charity were won by Paul "Paulie" Pabst and Rich Eisen.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Sports Jeopardy! EP. 37 (6-1-16) [Spoilers]

Post by sherder »

Thanks, Mark. I would have reminded everyone, but I still don't have my picture with Dan. :/

In retrospect, I should have requested a different tape date. At the time of taping, my father was closing in on the end of his life, so I didn't really have my head in the game. I did about everything wrong that you could that day, including not RTFQ for Final. I'm disappointed in how poorly I did, but it was fun to be back on the set. There was a darling group of middle schoolers attending the taping, and you couldn't help but smile at the great time they were having.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

sherder wrote:Thanks, Mark. I would have reminded everyone, but I still don't have my picture with Dan. :/

In retrospect, I should have requested a different tape date. At the time of taping, my father was closing in on the end of his life, so I didn't really have my head in the game. I did about everything wrong that you could that day, including not RTFQ for Final. I'm disappointed in how poorly I did, but it was fun to be back on the set. There was a darling group of middle schoolers attending the taping, and you couldn't help but smile at the great time they were having.
That's a bummer, Susan. Sorry about the outcome as well as your father. It is important that you're 'all there' for something like that.
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

alietr wrote: That's a bummer, Susan. Sorry about the outcome as well as your father. It is important that you're 'all there' for something like that.
My dad wanted me to go, so I did honor his wishes. To be honest, the last few months have been a bit surreal, and I hear that my brain will get back to normal about a year in recovering from losing a parent. I'll get over the loss...once I get my picture with Dan. I just hope they remember to send my check. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Very sorry to hear about your father, Susan. I am glad you went on and played the game and had as good a time as you could under the circumstances. I hate he didn't make it to see you on the show one more time, I'm sure he would have been proud. I did like your interview story.

A near instaget for me as I took 1972 to think of Gil Hodges, the Miracle Mets manager who died during spring training that year but realized he had been retired as a player longer than that and he isn't in the HOF. It was then a quick leap to the correct duo.

The scoreboard was an instaget as well, helps that was the year I was born so I associate both monumental events with that year.

As a long suffering Braves fan of the '70s, I remember Geronimo all too well.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I thought that either of sherder's two opponents would have at least a 25% chance of beating Vinny, and there were so few TS's compared to normal that sherder just had a lot of bad luck. I've actually been surprised at how few baseball questions these two seasons so far have been about the Big Red Machine given Dan's background, and was pleased to see the Cesar Geronimo question. The 1941 almost threw me off on FJ, but I couldn't think of anyone better to put down than Gehrig, so it looks like it's the third FJ I got right this week due to random luck.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Sorry for your loss, Susan. You looked like you were enjoying yourself. I would have done the same FJ wager.

Lots of hard questions. It seemed that most of the Triple Stumpers were ones that Dan wouldn't have gotten either. I like that he shared that he knows about 80% of the answers.

As far as FJ goes, I got Clemente right away, but for the second person, I couldn't get off being related to WWII.
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

Bamaman wrote:Very sorry to hear about your father, Susan. I am glad you went on and played the game and had as good a time as you could under the circumstances. I hate he didn't make it to see you on the show one more time, I'm sure he would have been proud. I did like your interview story.
Thanks, Bamaman, I really shouldn't complain about the experience overall - everyone was just lovely, as always, and Colin and Thayer were remarkable in buzzer speed and knowledge. This was the first game of the taping day, so you'll see how well prepared everyone was. It was an impressive group. Having some time and perspective will

The proposal story was the same one Alex picked for my first game on J! I had another story on the card about growing up watching horse racing, and my mother made silks for Willie Shoemaker that are now housed at the Smithsonian. But really, I LOVED listening to Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn when I was growing up. That and watching Tug McGraw's victory leap in 1980 made my childhood.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Wow, Da Shoe, huh? That guy was amazing... Watched him many a time on TV, and one day in person at Golden Gate Fields. Still the best, IMHO.

He could get horses to do stuff they'd never do for anyone else... The day I saw him in person, he had this one ride on a full-speed frontrunner type sprinter named O K So Far. This horse always led the way in 6-furlong sprint allowances thru the half-mile in world-class time, and then would try to hold on for that last quarter-mile, often juusssssstttt barely holding on for the win.. or the place... maybe. For some reason, this horse was running in a mile race with The Shoe on board. Somehow (magic or something, maybe), Willie managed to get this horse to relax in mid-pack and then blow by 'em in the stretch for the win.

Next time this horse ran, in was in another mile race with another rider.. Went right back to his usual deal, flying thru the half-mile on the lead and tiring badly to finish well back.

No idea what Shoemaker did to get this horse to run so professionally. Dude was Da MAN!
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Too bad sherder had to face two buzzer buzzsaws. Few people know more about sports trivia, or trivia in general. Seriously, look at her LL stats!
I love baseball-related Finals. Instagot the 1972 part, then thought for another five seconds about 1941. Clearly it wasn't someone who died in WWII, because the US didn't enter the war until December.
Hoping for a third lap
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

sarisson wrote:Too bad sherder had to face two buzzer buzzsaws. Few people know more about sports trivia, or trivia in general. Seriously, look at her LL stats!
I love baseball-related Finals. Instagot the 1972 part, then thought for another five seconds about 1941. Clearly it wasn't someone who died in WWII, because the US didn't enter the war until December.
At least in LL there's time to tease things out. I was able to get this question in LL59 because I had time to think: Name the man, a pivotal figure in the history of major league baseball, who, for the 1970 season, was traded from the St. Louis Cardinals to the Philadelphia Phillies (a team for which he never ultimately played)?

Give me that question on SJ! and I have no chance. Give me some time to work through the question - why wouldn't he have played, etc. and I get to
Spoiler
Curt Flood
eta: the guys were really good on the buzzer. I think Colin barely needed any practice.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

sherder wrote:But really, I LOVED listening to Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn when I was growing up.
I watch my hometown Rays(*) via MLB Extra Innings, so I see Harry's son Todd just about every night -- he's usually the "sideline reporter," but sometimes he fills in on play-by-play.

(*)Although they've been mostly disappointing so far this season.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Sorry about your loss, Susan. Well, I was referring to your dad, but I guess it could correctly be taken two ways.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Finally got around to watching your show, Susan... I'm sorry to hear of the circumstances surrounding you going into this. I thought you conducted yourself very well, and I loved the Tar Heel shoutout! I knew not getting in on the clue about Stu would bug you... I had a few like that. :lol: