Thursday, June 2, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 2, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by brick »

FJ was almost an instaget for me so I was surprised none of the contestants got it. Equally surprised it was missed by so many here.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:The Canadian provinces category was fairly easy. The first three gave you a major city as a hint. The fourth one is impossible if you don't knew where Hendrix was from. I got it, but was also momentarily confused thinking they meant he was Canadian. The fifth one was a lot more difficult. I wonder if Kelly just took a lucky stab at it by guessing a maritime province.

Yes, Ed's bet was bad. I think he was trying to position himself to be ahead of third place going into FJ and didn't consider what he needed to do to make sure he could not be eliminated before FJ. At that point, he is still locked out if he gets the $2,000 clue, so going all in (or all but a dollar) is his only real option. He is from Pasadena, so it's not like he needed that extra $1,000 to pay for a plane ticket.

I did consider Hemingway, but went with Einstein.
I thought the Halifax explosion was pretty well known even outside of Canada (it is the largest of its kind), I thought its placement was right and as Kelly proved, it's gettable.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey

Post by davey »

As others have suggested, I think including the auction date in the clue led some of us away from someone who died long ago. Auctions were held in NY in 2009 and 2011 of Marlon Brando's and Elizabeth Taylor's effects, and they got a lot of publicity - I went to see the Brando exhibition. Not that they were candidates for this FJ (!), but I don't think I was reaching back far into the last century in considering it.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Saskatchewan - we get no respect and even Winnipeggers fail to pronounce it properly.

Isn't Regina that place about 150 miles from Canora?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

brick wrote:FJ was almost an instaget for me so I was surprised none of the contestants got it. Equally surprised it was missed by so many here.
Agreed. The sandals would have been enough for me to go with Gandhi, but add in the glasses and it's a slam dunk.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I was pretty close on FJ. I guessed Hitler.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Why did people have a problem with the legal owner of these items selling them?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:Why did people have a problem with the legal owner of these items selling them?
<Youtube clip of Indiana Jones shouting, "It belongs in a museum!" goes here>
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): I Kill Giants (8), Atomic Blonde (8), Morocco (6), The King's Choice (7)
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Just looked at the picture since I got preempted for basketball. The glasses in the picture are probably difficult to see under the studio lights.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

brick wrote:FJ was almost an instaget for me so I was surprised none of the contestants got it. Equally surprised it was missed by so many here.
As one who missed it, I'm surprised too. This was an instaget at the 32-second mark for me. It suddenly clicked and I thought, "Gandhi! How could it be anyone else?" I'm not sure why I spun my wheels for so long and didn't expect to have a lot of company here.

Did anyone consider Gandhi and dismiss him for another guess? That would really surprise me.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote:
As one who missed it, I'm surprised too. This was an instaget at the 32-second mark for me. It suddenly clicked and I thought, "Gandhi! How could it be anyone else?" I'm not sure why I spun my wheels for so long and didn't expect to have a lot of company here.

Did anyone consider Gandhi and dismiss him for another guess? That would really surprise me.
I never got to Gandhi. I was thinking about the timeframe, and convinced myself it was Mandela since it looked like items you'd have in prison.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MDaunt wrote:Saskatchewan - we get no respect and even Winnipeggers fail to pronounce it properly.
You mean it's not pronounced "Sucky Football Team"? *grin, duck, run like mad for the egress*
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by OrangeSAM »

theFJguy wrote:Daily Doubles
Ed: minus 400+1000
Kelly: 11800+2000
Ed: 7700+3000
Ed had 7200 when he hit that last DD.

I made no headway on FJ! during the think music.
OCSam
theFJguy

Re: Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

OrangeSAM wrote:
theFJguy wrote:Daily Doubles
Ed: minus 400+1000
Kelly: 11800+2000
Ed: 7700+3000
Ed had 7200 when he hit that last DD.

I made no headway on FJ! during the think music.
Right, 7200. Thanks, it's fixed.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

I got all of the 1970 songs. They still play them on satellite radio and FM. Easy ones for me.
FJ-I needed more time. :(
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
goroshnik
I came, I Saw... I Came in Third

Post by goroshnik »

This may seem like an odd thread to bump, but I've been archiving and collecting episodes for a good 3-4 years now, and at this very minute, the ONLY full version of a game that I don't have from the end of July of 2012 to today is this one game. Were it not for this one missing episode, I'd have a consecutive game streak going of over 2,000 games.

Should anyone here actually have a copy of this game, please drop me a line... thanks!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

goroshnik wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:25 pm This may seem like an odd thread to bump, but I've been archiving and collecting episodes for a good 3-4 years now, and at this very minute, the ONLY full version of a game that I don't have from the end of July of 2012 to today is this one game. Were it not for this one missing episode, I'd have a consecutive game streak going of over 2,000 games.

Should anyone here actually have a copy of this game, please drop me a line... thanks!
I've got it. I'll get it uploaded later today and PM you a link.
goroshnik
I came, I Saw... I Came in Third

Post by goroshnik »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:17 pm
goroshnik wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:25 pm This may seem like an odd thread to bump, but I've been archiving and collecting episodes for a good 3-4 years now, and at this very minute, the ONLY full version of a game that I don't have from the end of July of 2012 to today is this one game. Were it not for this one missing episode, I'd have a consecutive game streak going of over 2,000 games.

I've got it. I'll get it uploaded later today and PM you a link.
Thank you, good sir!