Thursday, June 2, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 2, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Got the second Daily Double cold, as I immediately knew Hendrix was a Seattle native.

No guess on FJ
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I went with Pope John Paul II.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I think I could have gotten FJ with a couple minutes of hemming and hawing, but I had nothing after 30 seconds.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

grindcore wrote:The writers tried, they really did, but I really think it's impossible to dumb down the Canadian geography categories any more than they have been as of today.
To be fair, the BC clue was tough, it gave me the impression after reading it that Hendrix is Canadian?? (TBH I had no idea where he was from (just that it was somewhere in the States), but the wording didn't make me think it was somewhere 140 miles away but rather in the same city as his birth!)

But yeah the rest of them, especially the top 3, were way easier than anyone needs, and they responded like a Jeopardy! contestant given an easy Canadian geography clue.
grindcore wrote:Time to just stop.
Hold on there, cowboy, I'm still in the pool. Once I get on and tape my episode(s), then feel free to have them stop it, but I'm not going to turn down a free 6 grand.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I got stuck on Doc Holliday and was wondering whether he ever panned for gold before realizing he's not exactly a 20th Century figure. Then I was wondering why Theodore Roosevelt wore ballet slippers (my television is a 20th Century relic). By then, they were revealing answers.

Nova Scotia... embarrassing to say, but I've read way too much Anita Shreve for my own good, so that was easy from the explosion (along with the rest of that category). The J-6 clue referenced Toronto and the CN Tower... sigh. Maybe their next Canadian category can be a rhyme time with province names. Trebec/Quebec to start.
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

Wow, Kelly's doing GREAT! She has the Julia Collins calm about her.

These boards today clicked for me. I knew pretty much everything, including FJ. The sandals were the first giveaway for me. After that, it was the glasses. I thought the 70's songs category was fun. LT of Styron. Saskatchewan, autoclave.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I couldn't come up with "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" in time because I don't think of it as a 1970s song -- both the song and the movie in which it's featured were released late in 1969. (Yes, I know it didn't suddenly stop being played on the radio on December 31.)
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

dhkendall wrote:
grindcore wrote:The writers tried, they really did, but I really think it's impossible to dumb down the Canadian geography categories any more than they have been as of today.
To be fair, the BC clue was tough, it gave me the impression after reading it that Hendrix is Canadian?? (TBH I had no idea where he was from (just that it was somewhere in the States), but the wording didn't make me think it was somewhere 140 miles away but rather in the same city as his birth!)
This was how I read the clue as well. I still got it right since I figured the move to Seattle would have been a short one, but the syntax was confusing as heck.
Sprinkles are for winners.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

trainman wrote:I couldn't come up with "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" in time because I don't think of it as a 1970s song -- both the song and the movie in which it's featured were released late in 1969. (Yes, I know it didn't suddenly stop being played on the radio on December 31.)
In addition to that, I thought that Escape was later. (But I did get that one.)

And if "when the songs are played on the radio" is a criterion, then it can certainly be called a 21st century song.

When I go 3/5 on 70's songs it's a very bad day.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I went 4 of 5 on the 70s songs...and the one I could not think of, "Dancing Queen", I did not realize was about a 17 year-old girl until I thought of the lyrics after a commercial break...then I felt the need for a facepalm. Especially bad since I'm a huge ABBA fan.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Was stuck on FJ until I re-read the category. Good clue, more multi-faceted than some of what we've seen lately.
As soon as I saw the glasses, I knew it was Gandhi.
Not Buddy Holly, huh? Whoda thunk it?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm curious as to why they felt a need to include the year in the clue. That threw me off. Once I realized it was Gandhi, it seemed to have no relevance whatsoever.
Leander

Post by Leander »

alietr wrote:I'm curious as to why they felt a need to include the year in the clue. That threw me off. Once I realized it was Gandhi, it seemed to have no relevance whatsoever.
My first thought on looking at the picture was that the items might have been Nelson Mandela's from his years in prison, but the year led me to think it was unlikely to auction them before his death, which led me to my second choice of Gandhi. On the other hand, the year probably misled me to think of someone more recent than Gandhi to begin with.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Another Mandela here, the year had me focus on recent names. Also I'm watched it at 6:30AM...I blame that too. I just didn't want to get too far behind.(*shakes fist* Curse you, NBA!!)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): I Kill Giants (8), Atomic Blonde (8), Morocco (6), The King's Choice (7)
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Gandhi was pretty much instant from the glasses.

Mentioning "protests" in the clue was cute.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Dancing Queen sucks.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

"Escape" looks like it first hit the charts in November 1979 and #1 in December 1979, so fine for the category even though the song was heard a lot well into the early 1980s.

"Raindrops..." first hit the charts in November 1969, but did not hit #1 until the first week of January 1970 so once again okay for the category even though another decade overlapper.

KGO did not air the game at 10:30 last night or in the early a.m., so I had to track down an alternative place to see the game this morning. Go Warriors for the sweep to get it over with sooner than later, please.

For the FJ! clue I also went first to Mandela. I was not able to picture him with those glasses. Fortunately, being on the prisoner track led me next to Gandhi. This time all the pieces in the picture fit and I wrote him for my best guess.

When Ariel's Osama was shown I was not able to immediately rule it out like I was with Ed's Gacy. Hemingway by Kelly also had me wondering if I missed something in the photo and if she knew something I did not. Finally Alex gave the good news as it's unusual to have to wait so long to find out if I'm right or not.

Kelly hit 27R, so that is quite good and coupled with Ed's DD wager it was enough to lock the match.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The Canadian provinces category was fairly easy. The first three gave you a major city as a hint. The fourth one is impossible if you don't knew where Hendrix was from. I got it, but was also momentarily confused thinking they meant he was Canadian. The fifth one was a lot more difficult. I wonder if Kelly just took a lucky stab at it by guessing a maritime province.

Yes, Ed's bet was bad. I think he was trying to position himself to be ahead of third place going into FJ and didn't consider what he needed to do to make sure he could not be eliminated before FJ. At that point, he is still locked out if he gets the $2,000 clue, so going all in (or all but a dollar) is his only real option. He is from Pasadena, so it's not like he needed that extra $1,000 to pay for a plane ticket.

I did consider Hemingway, but went with Einstein.
davey

Post by davey »

Did anyone know that was a "rice" bowl?
Personally, I had nothin' for this FJ...I see that the glasses and the sandals should have helped, but Alex seemed to think the bowl - which did take up a great deal of the frame - was a big deal. It could have been a salad bowl, or a mixing bowl, or Don Quixote's helmet, for all I knew...
brick

Post by brick »

skullturf wrote:
eureka wrote:
grindcore wrote:The writers tried, they really did, but I really think it's impossible to dumb down the Canadian geography categories any more than they have been as of today. Time to just stop.
To be fair, I thought the Nova Scotia clue was pretty tough.
It was in the correct position on the board. I am Canadian, and I didn't know the correct response until they mentioned the 1917 explosion, which probably isn't as famous outside of Canada. Appropriate for the bottom row, but probably no other rows.
That one I almost got, but I forgot the category and said Halifax, but the explosion dialed me right in.