TD 142: A Touch of Classical

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Zee2
Contributor

Re: TD 142: A Touch of Classical

Post by Zee2 »

One other famous Jewish violinist you missed, Shlomo Mintz. But of course, my Efrem is there because I am old enough to know even that he was married to the famous soprano Alma Gluck. But who would have guessed that so many of us got too clever in the 13 musical pieces. I would have done better choosing Clare de Lune or Night on Bald Mountain, but they were so too familiar. Even the Bolero would have been better than the Cage 4'33 and yes, I am put out by your accepting 4'37, so I am saying so right here. Didn't need another sheep.

And I also outclevered myself on the Bach family. Could have done better than 0 with any of them. But I have to say that it was a wonderful idea, the whole Touch of Classical, even if I didn't know that Death in Venice was not a Kubrick (could have been, was my guess - NOT!)
Zee2
Contributor

Post by Zee2 »

Now, a real objection from me, though you gave us the points. What I said about the "Not the Sporting Goods Store" was that it or another similar answer had been part of a recent category on Jeopardy!. The answers or clues all started with the "Not" and wanted other well-known artifacts with the same name.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Zee2 wrote:One other famous Jewish violinist you missed, Shlomo Mintz.
I thought of him but forgot to include him. It's surprising that neither he nor Yehudi Menuhin made the short list at JInfo.org. They're both on the long list, at least.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Zee2 wrote:Now, a real objection from me, though you gave us the points. What I said about the "Not the Sporting Goods Store" was that it or another similar answer had been part of a recent category on Jeopardy!. The answers or clues all started with the "Not" and wanted other well-known artifacts with the same name.
There was definitely a "read my mind" aspect to this question. So I accepted any answers that drew plausible connections. Your answer even mentioned that the Jeopardy category gave, among other things, "near homonyms to well known popular stores." I assumed that reflected your knowledge that Big 5 was the store being referred to. If not, your answer's a little more borderline but still, I think, acceptable.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

The Awards Ceremony - Paraiso a Cazuela

In choosing seating for you all, I divided you into various sections according to the Median Absolute Deviation. I'm no statistician, so this may be nonsense. But it produced a good set of groupings. I think, at least, that it makes sense to talk about the median rather than the mean here. The real dividing point (to me anyway) is whether your score was in the top or bottom half of contestant scores.

The median score was 38.5. Half of you scored better, half worse. The median deviation from that score was 6.5. Half of you scored within 6.5 points of the median (whether above or below), half more than 6.5 points from the median. So 6.5 is the Median Absolute Deviation and I'll be using increments of that number to determine seating.

Once you find out where you're sitting, you can follow this link to an interactive seating chart. and click on your section. That will give you an idea of what the stage looks like from your position.

The first section to be seated is...

Paraiso

Here we are in the upper balcony. Crass Americans refer to this section as "the nosebleeds". We have no poetry in our souls. The English know this section as "the gods", a reference both to the altitude and to the oft-present ceiling paintings with mythological themes. Using similar reasoning, Latins know this section as Paradise.

The seats are cheap, but here in the Teatro Colón the sound is still marvelous. And anyone sitting here may reflect with satisfaction that at least they are on the inside.

We hope that all this will console the player who finished exactly 5 deviations above the median. Everyone applaud for...

Bamaman 71 (6+3+3+0+4+6+9+11+10+9+10)

Hold your head up high, Bamaman, Your mother and I are proud of you.

All right now, if the rest of you could just follow me down these steps. We're still in the balcony, but a little farther from the ceiling, a little closer to the stage. Here we are at the...

Galleria Alta

I've reserved this space for the rest of you who finished more than one deviation above the median (more than 6.5 points above 38.5).

econgator 46 (1+3+3+0+5+2+9+11+3+5+4)
BigDaddyJ 46 (6+3+3+2+6+6+9+0+3+4+4)
debramc 47 (2+3+0+2+4+11+9+8+3+1+4)
immaf 49 (2+4+2+1+11+6+4+11+0+3+5)

Go ahead and take your seats. Discuss amongst yourselves how you almost answered this or that question very differently and could have been seated much closer to the stage. Each of you should nod politely when one of the others speaks. Don't let on that you think their reasoning is specious and you're the only one who had a real shot.

Come along, the rest of you! We're still in the balcony, but making our way down to the...

Tertulia

This section of a Spanish playhouse was traditionally reserved for poorer men. And I do mean men. The ladies' section is next. That's ... an old-fashioned value, to say the least. But it is a tradition. And here in Buenos Aires, they have a saying: "Sin nuestras tradiciones viviríamos tan inestablemente como un violinista en el tejado." I have no idea what that means. But the point is that the Teatro Colón has tried to strike a balance between tradition and contemporary culture. So the bulk of the Tertulia section is for either sex. But there is a narrow stip--the Tertulia de Pie--a standing room only section that is "solo para hombres" (for men only).

But you are guests of honor! We won't have you standing. Please take a seat, those of you who finished exactly one deviation above the median. (I.e. 38.5 plus 6.5 = 45.) That's:

barandall800 45 (2+4+1+7+6+2+0+11+5+3+4)

All alone. How sad. You could have had Volante to chat with, but RandyG interceded for him and got me to count his answer to number 10 as correct. So, Volante, you and everyone else may follow me down to the...

Cazuela

This is the traditionally women-only section of a theatre. And as with the Tertulia, this Teatro bows to convention by providing a standing room only section for the women. But again, the portion with seats has no such restriction. All of you who finished above the median, but within one deviation (i.e. from 39 to 44) may find your seats here.

dhkendall 39 (2+3+2+1+0+4+3+11+5+4+4)
gamawire 40 (6+4+8+1+4+2+2+8+2+0+3)
MarkBarrett 41 (2+2+3+1+4+4+4+8+10+3+0)
Turd Ferguson 42 (11+3+3+2+4+0+3+11+2+1+2)
Zee2 43 (2+4+3+1+11+0+9+1+3+5+4)
xxaaaxx 43 (0+5+1+2+5+6+4+11+3+2+4)
Volante 44 (6+3+3+1+6+4+1+11+0+5+4)
ayeembored 44 (6+3+3+2+4+6+9+0+5+3+3)
hbomb1947 44 (2+5+3+2+0+6+4+8+5+5+4)

Everyone else, please follow me.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

The Awards Ceremony - Los Palcos

All right, then! I apologize that we had to spend so much time with the riffraff. We've left them safely behind in the cheap seats. You fine damas y caballeros shall fare much better! All but our 5 contenders for the title shall be seated in the palcos. These are the private boxes that you see and envy in the movies whenever swank individuals such as Al Capone go to the opera.

You'll each have your own private box with an attendant to see to your wishes. Feel free to order whatever you like. For you, drinks and food are on the house.

We arrive first at the...

Palcos Altos

These are the upper boxes. They are, in that sense, farther from the stage. But some might contend they afford the best view. Sitting here is no consolation prize.

So, choose a box, all of you who scored below the median, but less than one deviation from it. (I.e. from 38 to 33). Here is the order in which you may make your choices:

oddsox 34 (2+4+3+2+1+0+3+11+1+3+4)
Vanya 35 (6+5+1+7+1+0+2+8+1+2+2)
Rackme32 36 (2+4+1+7+4+0+1+8+1+3+5)
cheezguyty 36 (1+2+3+1+11+0+1+11+1+1+4)
dmleach 37 (1+3+0+2+6+2+3+11+3+2+4)
Peggles 38 (11+3+1+1+0+2+1+8+3+3+5)

We're getting closer and closer. We now arrive at...

Palcos Balcón

These are the central boxes--a little lower down so you can look at the singers' faces rather than the tops of their heads. I'll drop two of you off here. One of you scored exactly one deviation below the median. The other scored more than one but less than two below.

Woof 28 (0+5+1+1+6+0+3+2+1+4+5)
billiej 32 (2+3+1+1+5+1+0+8+5+2+4)

Congratulations. You were both worthy contenders.

And further down we go to...

Palcos Bajos

These are the lower boxes. Here, you're just enough above the ground floor that you don't have to worry about someone with a ridiculous hat sitting right in front of you. But you're low enough to have a perfect view, on a level with the stage. You can look the singers right in the eye.

Here I'll drop off two of you who finished between 2 and 3 deviations below the median (i.e. between 19 and 25.5, inclusive).

Paucle 25 (2+5+2+1+5+2+1+2+3+0+2)
goforthetie 25 (1+4+1+1+6+2+2+0+1+3+4)

Even if you'd gotten the final bonus, it wouldn't have changed your placement; so no worries there. Well played, you two! You came close indeed.

But there are two more players who fit in your same bracket--2 to 3 deviations below the median--unless... one or both of them got that final bonus. Without that bonus, they both have a score of 24. With the bonus, they're contenders for a prize.

So did one or both of them earn the bonus? Patience! We'll learn soon enough. Just in case the answer is yes, Spaceman Spiff and HugoZ , you'd better come with me.

RandyG, Samer, and lasercats, you are currently in 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place respectively. So of course you should come along as well.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

The Awards Ceremony - Platea

Here you are, then, the five of you, seated in...

Platea

That's the "Orchestra" section, the ground floor, the "stalls". Three of you will be invited up onto the Escenario (the stage), to receive your prize. Here are your standings before the final bonus points, if any, are deducted:

Samer 18 (2+1+2+2+1+1+1+0+1+4+3)
lasercats 18 (0+1+1+2+2+0+3+2+2+3+2)
RandyG 19 (-1+1+1+2+2+4+0+1+3+1+5)
Spaceman Spiff 24 (2+1+1+2+5+2+1+0+1+5+4)
HugoZ 24 (2+3+3+1+4+0+2+2+2+1+4)

In the case of the two sets of ties, that ranking indicates who wins the tie. So HugoZ is in last place among those 5. Let's learn whether he correctly answered the bonus question.

And ... he did! Congratulations, HugoZ. You take 5 points off your score. If no one else correctly answered the bonus, this is what the final standings will look like:

HugoZ 19 (2+3+3+1+4+0+2+2+2+1+4-5)
Spaceman Spiff 24 (2+1+1+2+5+2+1+0+1+5+4)

HugoZ has a shot at third place. Will Spaceman Spiff take that away from him?

Regrettably for Spiff, no. He gave the correct answer, but to the wrong question. He identified Rimsky-Korsakov and Mussorgsky as the two composers and two of "The Five". So he was no slouch in the knowledge department. But he didn't get that crucial 5-point deduction.

Señor Spiff? If you'll accompany the uniformed gentleman who just appeared next to you, he'll accompany you back to the Palcos Bajos.

So, then, before revealing whether the top 3 got the bonus, our standings look like this:

HugoZ 19 (2+3+3+1+4+0+2+2+2+1+4-5)

Ah, RandyG, if only you'd gotten your submission in sooner. As it is, if you don't want to lose on a tie, you need to have gotten the bonus.... And you did. This catapults you to the top of the list as we revise the standings once again:

RandyG 14 (-1+1+1+2+2+4+0+1+3+1+5-5)

That knocks HugoZ out of contention. Hugo, since you finished more than 3 deviations below the median, you're welcome to remain seated in the platea. But you're also welcome to go back up to the palcos where food and drink service are provided.

Now Samer is the one who wishes he'd submitted sooner. If both he and lasercats didn't get the bonus, he takes 3rd place to her 2nd, even though they have the same score. If both Samer and lasercats did get the bonus, he takes 2nd place to her 1st, again even though they have the same score. The only way Samer can take 1st is if he got the bonus and lasercats did not.

But anyway you slice it, those three--RandyG, lasercats, and Samer--will take the top prizes. The only question is, who will take which one? Depending on what happened with lasercats, Samer, and that final bonus, each of those three prizes is a possibility for each of our three finalists.

(Pedantic note: I originally finished that paragraph by saying the contestants could finish in any order. But that turns out not to be true. They can't finish RSL or SLR. But they can finish RLS, LRS, SRL, or LSR, depending on the bonus. That means 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place is possible for each one.)
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

The Awards Ceremony - The Prizes

So we know our three winners, but we don't know the order. Before we call them up, here's Johnny Gilbert to tell us about the prizes.

Opus, our third place contestant will receive a copy of the VirtualMusic software suite. Immerse yourself in a virtual musical world with the VirtualMusic experience. Use VirtualPerformer to take your place in an orchestra so real, you'll actually believe you're there. Play along with the second chairs or break out the star power be the soloist in Tchaikovsky's violin concerto. Don't worry if your fingers aren't fast enough, VirtualPerformer offers 15 customizable levels of correction to accommodate any skill set. If playing one instrument isn't enough, load up VirtualConductor and direct the entire orchestra. Or just take your place in the VirtualAudience and enjoy a completely realistic concert experience.

Whichever you choose, you'll get the full benefit of that VirtualMusic software suite with your new pair of meWorld Virtual Reality Goggle-phones. meWorld. It's a new world. Discover it.

Our second place contestant is going to Paris, France ... the Paris of 1913, that is! Yes, courtesy of D4 Transport, we'll send you and a guest back to Paris for the May 29, 1913 premiere of Stravinsky's
Sacre du Printemps. You'll have seats right next to Camille Saint-Saëns so you can watch him storm out. Be there for the riot that started it all! D4 Transport. Why limit yourself to three dimensions? (d4 transport accepts no liability for temporal anomalies paradoxes chaotic effects or the accidental creation of parallel realities; travel at your own risk and behave responsibly; remember, the future will be in your hands.)

Our first place contestant will be going on a trip next door ... the universe next door. Parallel Transit will shift you and a guest to a universe where Beethoven completed his 10th symphony. Once there, you'll be flown to Austria for a performance of that symphony with John Eliot Gardiner conducting the Vienna Philharmonic. Have you ever asked yourself what music could be more glorious than Beethoven's 9th? You may be about to find out. Parallel Transit. Your portal awaits. (because there are an infinite number of universes parallel transit cannot warrant that you will return to the exact universe you left behind; however the universe to which you return is guaranteed to be 99.9 percent similar just don't blame us if your wife's name is now claudine instead of claudia; you'll get used to it; parallel transit is a subsidiary corporation of d4 transport; service not available in canada.)

Thank you, Johnny. Well, with such exciting prizes at stake, let's find out who gets what!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

The Awards Ceremony - Third Prize

The time has finally arrived! Let's call our prize winners up to the ...

Escenario

That's the stage, obviously. We'll begin with third prize. If I may have the envelope please? Our third prize winner is...
  • lasercats
Unfortunately, lasercats didn't manage the -5 bonus. She joined her fellow learned ones in knowing that Mussorgsky and Rimsky-Korsakov belonged to "The Five". With her attention drawn to the specific question--what's the relation of clip #5's composer to the piece being played in clip #3--she offered a guess that was tantalizingly close. But it wasn't quite there. And our panel of judges felt we had offered as much redirect as was prudent.

Congratulations, lasercats, on a strong performance. Strictly on points, you'd have come in second. But I had to muck up the purity of the game with all my bonuses, like I was the Charlie O. Finley of Think Different.

But enough of my hogging the microphone. Now's the time for your acceptance speech. Just remember to wrap it up when the orchestra starts playing. They can segue into the 1812 Overture if they need to. And those cannons aren't ornamental!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

The Awards Ceremony - Second Prize

If you've been paying attention, you know how it plays out from here. Lasercats couldn't have taken third prize unless Samer got the bonus. And if Samer got the bonus, our second prize winner is...
  • RandyG
Very well played, RandyG! If only you'd remembered Edward Elgar's name. If only things hadn't been so busy at work. If only you had your priorities straight!

Still, second place is something to be proud of. Let's hear your speech.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

The Awards Ceremony - First Prize

There's nothing left to reveal, except to those who lack even the most rudimentary powers of deduction. Our winner is

• Samer
[/color]
Samer, you were clearly a contender for the whole game with strong, strong answers. Knowing the answer to the bonus sealed a well-earned victory.

What have you got to say for yourself?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Well run, O flightless one!

Post by Woof »

Thanks much for running such a well-wrought TD, Opus. I'm not altogether unhappy with my seat in the Palcos Balcón, having frequently enjoyed the acoustics of the Balcony Circle in various auditoria and finding them superior to what's available in the Orchestra. Of course, maybe the best English language equivalent is the Dress Circle, in which case I've hit the jackpot! :D
Zee2
Contributor

Post by Zee2 »

PENGUIN,

It's been fantastic fun and thank you for your hard work. I went to the Teatro Colón once (would have been a lot more times had I remained living there). I was 16 and it was for a symphony concert conducted by Erich Kleiber, whose son Carlos is now gone too. I remember two of the pieces played, Schubert's Unfinished and Ravel's Pavana Para Una Infanta Difunta. It was a matineé and I believe we sat in Palcos Altos.
lasercats
Contributor

Post by lasercats »

opusthepenguin wrote:_____________________________________________________________

The Awards Ceremony - Third Prize

The time has finally arrived! Let's call our prize winners up to the ...

Escenario

That's the stage, obviously. We'll begin with third prize. If I may have the envelope please? Our third prize winner is...
  • lasercats
Unfortunately, lasercats didn't manage the -5 bonus. She joined her fellow learned ones in knowing that Mussorgsky and Rimsky-Korsakov belonged to "The Five". With her attention drawn to the specific question--what's the relation of clip #5's composer to the piece being played in clip #3--she offered a guess that was tantalizingly close. But it wasn't quite there. And our panel of judges felt we had offered as much redirect as was prudent.

Congratulations, lasercats, on a strong performance. Strictly on points, you'd have come in second. But I had to muck up the purity of the game with all my bonuses, like I was the Charlie O. Finley of Think Different.

But enough of my hogging the microphone. Now's the time for your acceptance speech. Just remember to wrap it up when the orchestra starts playing. They can segue into the 1812 Overture if they need to. And those cannons aren't ornamental!
Darn you an your bonus! That's okay, I had a great time, and I'm very happy with the results, given that this is only the second TD I have ever done. Thanks!
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Bravo on the Magnum Opus, Opus!

I cannot recall a TD that was more well-crafted, informative, entertaining, and downright suspenseful.

And if that's what's required to get me to my best ever 4th place showing, someone's going to need to do a buttload of work to get me onto the stage.

Great job!

- HackenKovsky
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

An excellent TD for your first, opus, and the awards section is very imaginative (whereas I often get tired of the process by then, and don't have as imaginative awards as I would like)

So since our winners number three, and they are on the stage, are they the three tenors? Will they be singing some aria for us?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dhkendall wrote:So since our winners number three, and they are on the stage, are they the three tenors? Will they be singing some aria for us?
Howzabout a few verses of "Barnacle Bill"?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Zee2 wrote:PENGUIN,

It's been fantastic fun and thank you for your hard work. I went to the Teatro Colón once (would have been a lot more times had I remained living there). I was 16 and it was for a symphony concert conducted by Erich Kleiber, whose son Carlos is now gone too. I remember two of the pieces played, Schubert's Unfinished and Ravel's Pavana Para Una Infanta Difunta. It was a matineé and I believe we sat in Palcos Altos.
Oh, my. I am deeply jealous. I have a CD with Erich Kleiber conducting the 8th and it is outstanding. I can only imagine he was wonderful with that and with the Pavane, which would suit his lyrical gifts perfectly.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Bravo, Opus! Very entertaining and well-run, as attested to by the 30 players you attracted for a specialty TD. And may our three winners be showered with roses... after they sing that aria, of course!
Samer
Valued Contributor

Post by Samer »

dhkendall wrote:An excellent TD for your first, opus, and the awards section is very imaginative (whereas I often get tired of the process by then, and don't have as imaginative awards as I would like)

So since our winners number three, and they are on the stage, are they the three tenors? Will they be singing some aria for us?
I haven't been a tenor since I hit puberty. :lol:

That said, back in the day I used to have the range to sing "Superman" by Five for Fighting . . . but just barely.