Wednesday, June 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7318, 2016-06-08

CONTESTANTS
Torrey Livenick, a law student originally from Las Vegas, Nevada
Hunter Appler, an attorney originally from Mount Airy, North Carolina
Stew Latwin, a Navy pilot originally from Rye, New York (whose 2-day cash winnings total $42,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Yesterday was a very good day for our Navy helicopter pilot. He has over $40,000 for his two wins so far. Torrey and Hunter, I'm delighted to welcome you to our program. Good luck to you and to our champ as we put you to work now in the Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BEST MUSICAL ACTOR TONY WINNERS (4/5) (Alex: The Tony Awards are gonna be televised this Sunday.)
HISTORY IN ART (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SURROUNDED BY STATISTICS (5/5)
DOUBLE "R" (4/5)
DIRTY BIRDS (4/5)
HOW JUVENILE! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stew: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Hunter: 11 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Torrey: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Hunter found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Stew had $2,000, Hunter had $200, and Torrey was at $1,000. Hunter wagered $1,000.

HISTORY IN ART $400: John Trumbull's painting of this event can be seen on the back of a $2 bill
(Alex: Jefferson's on the front.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Torrey: $2,800
Stew: $2,800
Hunter: $2,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Torrey Livenick is a law student from Las Vegas, Nevada. Voted "most unique" in high school. The teachers would say you don't need to say "most unique". Why were you unique?

Torrey: You know, I am not really sure. I went to a very large high school, didn't expect to be voted anything. Was very surprised, and I can't figure out whether it was a compliment or an insult from my peers.

Alex: But it has stayed with you for all these years.

Torrey: Yes, apparently, I was the obvious choice...

Alex: Oh.

Torrey: ...which makes me think it's more of an insult.

[Laughter]

Alex: No, no, no. Look at it as a compliment, please. Something to be proud of.

Alex: Hunter Appler is an attorney whose wife loves a particular animal.

Hunter: The hippopotamus. Yep.

Alex: And that figured in something important that you did.

Hunter: We were on a trip to D.C., and, uh, I told her we were going to a museum. There's lots of museums in D.C. But instead, I took her across state lines, kidnapped her, to, uh, to Philadelphia to the Philadelphia Zoo to the hippopotamus exhibit, where I asked her to be my wife. And she said yes.

Alex: That's sweet.

Hunter: I thought so.

Alex: That's sweet.

Alex: Stew Latwin is our champion. You're in the Navy.

Stew: Yes.

Alex: But your great-grandfather had a connection with somebody who's very important in music and the military.

Stew: Yes, he did. My great-grandfather emigrated from Russia and almost immediately joined the Army here. While serving, he also did some time with music, and afterwards played in the band under John Philip Sousa, playing clarinet.

Alex: Good for him. Great story.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DOUBLE "R" $1000: From the Latin for "parch", it's the warm zone between the Tropic of Cancer & the tropic of Capricorn
(Hunter: What is arid?)

DIRTY BIRDS $1000: Yeah, baby! This "C" bird that produces guano, valued as fertilizer, is also called a shag

BEST MUSICAL ACTOR TONY WINNERS $800: 2003:
As Edna Turnblad in "Hairspray"
(Torrey: Who is John Travolta?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Torrey: $4,200
Stew: $4,200
Hunter: $3,200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GREAT SCOTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BLENDED WORDS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE BOOK BOOK (4/5)
"T" MOBILE (3/5)
LAKES & RIVERS (4/5)
ROBOT CHECK-IN (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Hunter: 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Torrey: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Stew: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Torrey snagged the next Daily Double on the 26th clue. Stew had $7,400, Hunter had $10,400, and Torrey was at $9,000. Torrey wagered $1,400.

GREAT SCOTS $1600: It's largely thanks to this man, born in Scotland in 1838, that we have Sequoia National Park

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Hunter who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Stew had $7,400, Hunter had $13,600, and Torrey was at $10,400. Hunter wagered $600.

BLENDED WORDS $1600: This monstrous term was coined in the 1990s for genetically engineered edibles

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ROBOT CHECK-IN $1200: Thanks to DreamWorks, this defender of the universe is bringing cosmic justice to Netflix screens in a 2016 reboot

ROBOT CHECK-IN $2000: Zingbot 3000 is quick with a joke to light up the blokes on this reality show

LAKES & RIVERS $2000: Only 2 letters but more than 2,200 miles long, it flows across Russia to the Arctic Ocean
(Hunter: What is the Po?)

THE BOOK BOOK $1600: Peter Boxall wrote "1001 Books You Must Read Before you Die" & put Rabelais' 16th century tale of these 2 giants in it

"T" MOBILE $1600: A 1988 film told of this "Man and his Dream" of building cutting-edge cars, like the one seen here

"T" MOBILE $2000: The name of this compact SUV from Volkswagen suggests that it's part big cat & part lizard

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Hunter: $14,200
Torrey: $12,400
Stew: $7,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATE CAPITALS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Hunter: Wager $10,601 to cover Torrey.
Torrey: You have to wager $2,401 to cover Stew's doubled score, but certainly no more than $4,999, so as to force Stew to be right to have a chance at winning.
Stew: Think about risking $3,800 or less, thereby beating Hunter on the Triple Stumper (should Hunter wager to cover Torrey's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This Midwestern capital was named for a man who was born in what is now Turkey over 2,000 years ago

FINAL SCORES
Stew: $7,400 + $7,398 = $14,798 (What is St. Paul) (2nd place)
Torrey: $12,400 - $12,000 = $400 (What is Cincinnati) (3rd place)
Hunter: $14,200 + $10,601 = $24,801 (What is St. Paul?) (New champion: $24,801)
(Alex: [To Stew] Saul was born in Tarsus, which is now part of Turkey.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Hunter: $14,600, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Torrey: $12,600, 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Stew: $7,400, 12 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $34,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Hunter: 24/60 = .400
Torrey: 16/59 = .271
Stew: 13/58 = .224
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HISTORY IN ART $200: Michelangelo took a stab at carving a bust of this slayer of Julius Caesar

HISTORY IN ART $600: Rene Gagnon, one of the actual flag raisers on this island, is seen posing for the Marine Corps War Memorial statue

SURROUNDED BY STATISTICS $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew does jumping jacks, lunges, and runs in place.) 30 minutes of exercise a day will improve this measure of vitality, marked for Americans at approximately 79 years

SURROUNDED BY STATISTICS $400: In one study it averages $35,051 per fresh-faced mortarboard-wearing degree holder
(Stew: What is tuition?)
[Torrey gave both listed responses.]

HISTORY IN ART $1000: Benjamin West's "The Death of General Wolfe" depicts the 1759 battle of Quebec during this North American conflict

SURROUNDED BY STATISTICS $1000: It's the busiest Amtrak station, with around 10 million riders a year
(Hunter: What is Grand Central Station?)

BEST MUSICAL ACTOR TONY WINNERS $1000: 1965:
As Tevye in "Fiddler on the Roof"
(Hunter: Who is Topol?)

GREAT SCOTS $800: In 1880, he sailed to Tahiti; while in the South Pacific, he wrote, "In the South Seas" & "David Balfour", a sequel to "Kidnapped"

"T" MOBILE $800: In 2012, this company, whose logo is seen here, introduced the first premium electric sedan

THE BOOK BOOK $800: The "day" medieval English folk thought the world would end; it comes before "Book" in the name of a tome that counted them
(Torrey: What is a [*] Book?)

BLENDED WORDS $800: It's the combined land mass seen here

CORRECT RESPONSES
the signing of the Declaration of Independence
torrid
the cormorant
Harvey Fierstein
John Muir
frankenfood
Voltron
Big Brother
the Ob
Gargantua & Pantagruel
(Preston) Tucker
Tiguan
St. Paul
Brutus
Iwo Jima
lifespan
student (loan) debt
the French and Indian War
Pennsylvania Station
Zero Mostel
Robert Louis Stevenson
Tesla
Doomsday
Eurasia

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:57 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATE CAPITALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This Midwestern capital was named for a man who was born in what is now Turkey over 2,000 years ago

Stew Latwin: 7400+7398=14798
Hunter Appler: 14200+10601=24801 (new champ)
Torrey Livenick: 12400-12000=400

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
St. Paul (Torrey - Cinncinati)
Daily Doubles
Hunter: 200+1000
Torrey: 9000+1400
Hunter: 13600+600

Coryats
Stew: 7400
Hunter: 14600
Torrey: 12600

Combined: 34,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:55 pm

Poll request: I noticed that the two challengers were collectively named Torii Hunter.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:28 pm

Anyone else notice the connection between the $200 clue and the $1000 clue in the Tony awards category?

Anyone else get Robert Louis Stevenson off the picture alone?

On the busiest Amtrak station clue, my first guess was Penn. But I talked myself into Grand Central. Sigh. At least I would've correctly called it Grand Central TERMINAL.

If they ask for a current grand duchy, there's only one. Luxembourg. If we're talking history, they might bring in Finland or Tuscany. But I think Luxembourg is still your best bet even there. They also once mistakenly called Warsaw a grand duchy.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:29 pm

Good game. Too bad I stopped caring after Voltron was a stand-and-stare TS :evil: :evil:

FJ wasn't instaget - of COURSE I managed to start too far south and worked my way north - but I got to St. Paul with plenty of time to spare.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:32 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:On the busiest Amtrak station clue, my first guess was Penn. But I talked myself into Grand Central. Sigh. At least I would've correctly called it Grand Central TERMINAL.
Hasn't been in Grand Central since the early 90's.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:34 pm

Congrats to Hunter on his win. I had 50 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Torrid, cormorant, Big Brother, Ob, Tucker, and Tiguan. I also got FJ.
grindcore wrote:Poll request: I noticed that the two challengers were collectively named Torii Hunter.
Yes, I noticed this, too.

mfc248

Post by mfc248 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:00 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:Anyone else get Robert Louis Stevenson off the picture alone?

On the busiest Amtrak station clue, my first guess was Penn. But I talked myself into Grand Central. Sigh. At least I would've correctly called it Grand Central TERMINAL.
After the recent Treasure Island in Final, I looked at his Wikipedia page and recalled enough of the details of his life to get it.

From having grown up in the NYC metro area and taken the LIRR into/out of Penn many times, I knew that Grand Central served only Metro-North. I considered Union Station in DC, but thought Union Station might be too generic to be a correct response.
xxaaaxx wrote:FJ wasn't instaget - of COURSE I managed to start too far south and worked my way north - but I got to St. Paul with plenty of time to spare.
Bismarck, Pierre, Lincoln, then a jump to the other side of the Midwest - Indianapolis, Springfield, Madison, Saint Paul - boom, that's it!

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:22 pm

mfc248 wrote:From having grown up in the NYC metro area and taken the LIRR into/out of Penn many times, I knew that Grand Central served only Metro-North. I considered Union Station in DC, but thought Union Station might be too generic to be a correct response.
Union Station is #2, but it's not close at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... k_stations

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:26 pm

econgator wrote:
mfc248 wrote:From having grown up in the NYC metro area and taken the LIRR into/out of Penn many times, I knew that Grand Central served only Metro-North. I considered Union Station in DC, but thought Union Station might be too generic to be a correct response.

But if you combine all the Union Stations, they win.

mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:48 pm

OSXpert wrote:
econgator wrote:

Not if you also combine all the Penn Stations.

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:23 pm

mungar wrote:
OSXpert wrote:
econgator wrote:

Not if you also combine all the Penn Stations.
Accounting for the ones on the wikipedia list:

Penn Stations
(NYC) 10,189,521 + (Baltimore) 993,721 + (Newark) 641,346 = 11,824,588

Union Stations
4,971,128(DC) + 3,295,630(Chicago) + 1,589,391(L.A.) + 773,497(San Diego) + 698,656(New Haven) + 561,596(Portland) = 11,889,898

Probably too close to call, but they give a slight edge to the Union Stations, and I assume there are dozens more Union Stations smaller than that.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:47 pm

I put Bismark for FJ. Who knows if a Bismark lived in what is now Turkey 2000 years ago :)

Throughout the game it seemed like Hunter did very well - but the scores remained close..weird.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:35 pm

Torrey is an interesting name. There's a Torrey Road near my aunt's former house in Flint, and the name also reminded me of Toriel, the motherly character in Undertale.

====

Anyone else do the YMCA dance on Juvenile for $600?

I said "Diabeetus" on Juvenile for $800. Judges? :P

Surprisingly, I was 14/15 on the first leg of the J! board (all but French & Indian War).

Ran Juvenile and Double R.

ICE, French & Indian, Penn Station, Mud Hens (you mean that's an actual bird?!), cormorant, and the entire Tony category were my only misses in the whole game. NHO anyone in that Tony category except NPH.

====

Only $400 in Robots for me. Time to turn in my nerd card?

NHO "staycation" at $400.

====

I used to know all the capitals cold. Let's try this: Lansing, Madison, Indianapolis, Springfield, Bismarck, Pierre, Lincoln, Des Moines, Jefferson City... welp, that's all of them, and none of them sound right. What am I missing? Not even stopping the recording for two minutes got me there. WHY IS IT ALWAYS THE ONLY THING I DON'T FREAKING THINK OF THAT'S THE RIGHT ANSWER?!?!?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:28 pm

SERIOUS ERROR!

The John Trumbull painting is not of the signing of the Declaration of Independence but its presentation by Jefferson and his committee. This error is common enough that it is discussed in the Wikipedia article for the painting, whose title is Declaration of Independence:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declarati ... rumbull%29
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:56 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:Anyone else notice the connection between the $200 clue and the $1000 clue in the Tony awards category?

Anyone else get Robert Louis Stevenson off the picture alone?

If they ask for a current grand duchy, there's only one. Luxembourg. If we're talking history, they might bring in Finland or Tuscany. But I think Luxembourg is still your best bet even there. They also once mistakenly called Warsaw a grand duchy.
I suppose, but no New Yorker actually says Terminal.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:29 am

Coryat: $32,400
43 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Voltron, Big Brother, Tiguan

The world can safely be divided into two groups of people: those who giggle at "Lake Assal in central Djibouti," and those who are more mature than I.

Really good FJ! clue, but pinning it down to the Midwest makes it nearly impossible to miss given 30 seconds of think time.
opusthepenguin wrote:On the busiest Amtrak station clue, my first guess was Penn. But I talked myself into Grand Central. Sigh. At least I would've correctly called it Grand Central TERMINAL.
I started on Grand Central, was about to switch to Penn, but then the contestant blurted out his response before I had the chance to decide for sure, so I counted it as a neg. I also talked myself out of Tucker, deciding at the last minute that it was called Topper. That's $6,000 worth of bad decision-making right there.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Anyone else do the YMCA dance on Juvenile for $600?

I said "Diabeetus" on Juvenile for $800. Judges? :P
Me too, on both counts.
Sprinkles are for winners.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:05 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Really good FJ! clue, but pinning it down to the Midwest makes it nearly impossible to miss given 30 seconds of think time.
Unless you do like I did and completely space on Minnesota.

Seriously, WHAT is it with me and these geography clues? They want New England, I forget that Connecticut is part of New England. They want two countries in Central America, I think of every country but the right two. They want a very large country? I think of every single one but Russia.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

IronNeck

Post by IronNeck » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:44 am

Despite being very drowsy when I caught the game 2:10 am (NBA Finals), I managed my highest Coryat by a slim margin since keeping track here.

Naturally, I "made up" for this by going 1/3 on Daily Doubles and blowing the Final Jeopardy. For some reason, I never associated Minnesota with the Midwest.

31R/0W
Coryat-$26,800
LT-Voltron, Gargantua and Pantagruel, Tucker
DD-1/3
FJ-Miss