Thursday, June 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by floridagator »

omgwheelhouse wrote: Top row clues are such a miniscule part of the game.
*minuscule

To the poster above who said that JFK and Jackie had only two children, a son and a daughter, NO. Their second son Patrick Bouvier Kennedy was born in August 1963 and died two days later, the most recent child born to a sitting president and the most recent recent child of an incumbent president to die while he was in office.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Well darn, first example I've been able to find that exactly matches tonight's scenario, and it went the same way as tonight's, no prompt for first name given to the rebounding player. February 13, 1990, Inventions for $600:
A noise reduction system for audio tapes is named for this man, its inventor

(Wen: Who is Thomas Dolby?)
(Alex: No.)
(Jamie: Who is Dolby?)
(Alex: Wen, you gave me the wrong first name.)

Ray Dolby
Thomas Dolby is the English musician from the 1980s that did She Blinded Me with Science.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

econgator wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:Well, the lack of a Johnny-on-the-spot here, on a board where there's usually several within minutes, makes me even more confident... still wouldn't bet my life though :D
I still would, but I won't be the one to go looking for the example. :)
Doubling down! Love it.

jeff6286 wrote:Well darn, first example I've been able to find that exactly matches tonight's scenario, and it went the same way as tonight's, no prompt for first name given to the rebounding player. February 13, 1990, Inventions for $600:

Ray Dolby
Thomas Dolby is the English musician from the 1980s that did She Blinded Me with Science.
Jeff, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
econgator wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:Well, the lack of a Johnny-on-the-spot here, on a board where there's usually several within minutes, makes me even more confident... still wouldn't bet my life though :D
I still would, but I won't be the one to go looking for the example. :)
Doubling down! Love it.

jeff6286 wrote:Well darn, first example I've been able to find that exactly matches tonight's scenario, and it went the same way as tonight's, no prompt for first name given to the rebounding player. February 13, 1990, Inventions for $600:

Ray Dolby
Jeff, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
Crickets. Well, I'll consider this matter closed. For the record, if Jeff had come back with an example that went the other way, I would have come back here to give you guys props... to each his own.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:That's my point. The "most obvious educated guess" to me was JFK + female = Jackie Kennedy, because 99.99% of the time, that's going to be what they want when they want a female related to JFK in the top box. This clue just happened to fall into the other 0.001% because of some extremely arcane interpretation of the clue that very few people would actually make.
First of all, it's hardly arcane. Second of all, as Alex said, even if you incorrectly parsed the hint and went with Jackie you'd be out $200 and move on. Happens all the time. I don't think there should be some requirement that top row clues be absolute gimmes. Yes, it was probably more difficult than the average top row clue. So what?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

omgwheelhouse wrote:Crickets. Well, I'll consider this matter closed. For the record, if Jeff had come back with an example that went the other way, I would have come back here to give you guys props... to each his own.
Not dead yet. Just going to have to do a bit of browsing after all. :)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I just stumbled across this thread when looking for something else and now am once again fascinated with whether or when this judging rarity has ever actually occurred. For anyone who hasn't seen the thread before or has forgotten, the debate was whether a second player could get away with last name only after the first player to ring in supplied an incorrect first name, and the key being that first name would not normally be required for the response. Can anyone recall another instance of this in the nearly 3 years since? Econgator's seppuku is still at stake!

I actually found a very close call, but I think it's arguable as it seems very possible that the first player would have been prompted for first name as well.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5528

Opera $600: Aussie Helen Mitchell changed her name to this & became the toast of the opera world
(Henry: Who was Helen Melba?)
(Jack: Who was Melba?)
(Alex: Be more specific...we're looking for a first name.)

Dame Nellie Melba
There are several instances in the Archive of them accepting Melba without requiring Nellie so it's not a guarantee that the first player would have been prompted, but since they were specifically asking about her name change it's possible that they did intend to require first and last. Only Alex's paper knows for sure!

I did a few various Archive searches on terms such as "incorrect first name", "be more specific", "too much information" and looked through hundreds of clues that popped up in the searches, trying to find a smoking gun example but I've still yet to find a clear-cut case. Where oh where is cheezguyty?