Thursday, June 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Thursday, June 23, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT ... Capitol Building at $400?
Because it's the Library of Congress.
OCSam
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I don't have an example at hand, but definitely there have been times in previous games when the rebounding contestant could not get away with just repeating a last name already given without be asked for the first name as well.

No matter what's right or wrong that Plumb clue made it easy to root for Will. Laurie's incorrect response was criminal and Marjika should have said Eve Plumb for a clean rebound.

The category was PRODUCE THE CELEBRITY NAME and it used: Carrot Top, Strawberry, Plumb, Apple, and Cherry. I'm fine with the writers wanting to use Plumb since her last name sounds like the fruit's name although I don't see why the category could not have had five names that exactly matched names of produce.

If, however, the writers and researchers thought the actress who played Jan was Eve Plum mixing her up with the NYC alt-rock band then all involved should be docked $1200.

I did get a chuckle when Laurie pulled out Mathew Brady in time.

In the 6/23 NYT crossword puzzle today:

23D: Winner of the Triple Crown of Acting (Oscar, Tony and Emmy)

I would have known to lock in Helen Mirren anyway for tonight's FJ! clue, but it didn't hurt having the puzzle fresh on my mind today.

And now that J! is over I feel like watching a certain Dennis Green post-game video.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:I don't have an example at hand, but definitely there have been times in previous games when the rebounding contestant could not get away with just repeating a last name already given without be asked for the first name as well.

No matter what's right or wrong that Plumb clue made it easy to root for Will. Laurie's incorrect response was criminal and Marjika should have said Eve Plumb for a clean rebound.
Agreed. I would bet my life that that was the "rule".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO Helen Mirren.
Understandable since you had not heard of her four months ago either: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3406&p=205809&hilit=mirren#p205809
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Golf wrote:Tight game, one full category left, one DD left, and the champ picks the only clue guaranteed NOT to hold the coveted DD. Then upon luckboxing into it makes a useless wager. Finally makes a horrible wager in FJ. And yet all this gosh awful play leads to a win. OK then.
This is all true, but it should be added that her second DD wager ($2k wagered while having $4k, with the leader at about $8.5k very early in Double Jeopardy) was also horrible. And in a really easy word category on the middle clue. Laurie's wagering has been consistently dreadful but her knowledge and clutch play has made up for it. Shades of 4-day champion Fred Vaughn.

Anyways, I sucked today.

23R/3W
Coryat-$18,000 (Lowest in the past month?!)
LT-Swift, Louis XIV
DD-2/3
FJ-Was 50/50 between Blanchett and Mirren. Chose the wrong one. Miss.
Last edited by IronNeck on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I wonder if "Salad Days" for the DD clue in WORD OF THE "DAY" would fit for the "heyday" given.

(Interesting that they had "Remains of the Day" as a clue, as for some reason following the Brexit news today, upon learning that the "stay" camp has been given the much less catchy term "remain" (seriously, I see why Brexit won, they have the cooler name!), or "Bremain" in an attempt to jazz it up, the phrase "Bremains of the Day" came to me for some reason. I know I wouldn't have got that clue otherwise.

Mirren was the first person I could think of for FJ, knew with my bad movie and theatre knowledge I shouldn't overthink it, it seemed right, so in it went after Alex was done reading. I'll take it.
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Caroline Kennedy at $200?
"Early '60s". That being said, I couldn't pin down the Kennedy (was leaning towards Jackie) and clammed, so I'll agree it was undervalued.
econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I don't have an example at hand, but definitely there have been times in previous games when the rebounding contestant could not get away with just repeating a last name already given without be asked for the first name as well.

I did the same as Marjika from the fourth podium, and would have done exactly the same as her from a real podium. Nothing in the rules that says you can't, and loopholes are there to be used. She wasn't the first contestant to exploit a loophole (although probably the first to exploit that particular one), and she won't be the last.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: The category was PRODUCE THE CELEBRITY NAME and it used: Carrot Top, Strawberry, Plumb, Apple, and Cherry. I'm fine with the writers wanting to use Plumb since her last name sounds like the fruit's name although I don't see why the category could not have had five names that exactly matched names of produce.
Yeah, they should have waited to use Eve Plumb for the category "Celebrity occupational verbs" or something. :)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

dhkendall wrote:I wonder if "Salad Days" for the DD clue in WORD OF THE "DAY" would fit for the "heyday" given.
It had to rhyme:

Rhyming period of one’s greatest strength, youth or vigor.
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

I don't have a problem with the ruling on Marjika saying just Plumb. Players give responses of just surnames more often than not it seems and if that's acceptable when it's the first response it should be acceptable if it's a second or third contestant's response.

I did find it a little amusing that after the Eve Plumb clue Laurie started giving only surnames to responses that required a name for at least a few subsequent clues.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO "swan of Avon". I only knew "Bard of Avon" for Shakespeare + "____ of Avon".
I haven't either. Is that a well-known thing?
not to me...
davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:I wonder if "Salad Days" for the DD clue in WORD OF THE "DAY" would fit for the "heyday" given.
The clue required a "rhyming period"...
I gave myself credit for the "2-word phrase" the daylights, because it has more google hits than the living daylights...which is a "3-word phrase"... :roll:

dhkendall wrote:Early '60s". That being said, I couldn't pin down the Kennedy (was leaning towards Jackie) and clammed, so I'll agree it was undervalued.
The idea of Jackie Kennedy, the epitome of elegance, keeping 2 hamsters is quite hilarious. I'm surprised she let Caroline near them...("Dear...they're vermin!")
First thought of Blanchett for FJ, then focused on the Tony win and got it...Blanchett, btw, will be making her Broadway debut this season...
davey

Post by davey »

Rackme32 wrote:
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO "swan of Avon". I only knew "Bard of Avon" for Shakespeare + "____ of Avon".
I haven't either. Is that a well-known thing?
not to me...
Last part of a $200 J! clue on 2/6/2013...
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

opusthepenguin wrote:Imagine the panic in the writers' room if they announced even a 5-year minimum requirement for recycling. :shock:
The double-edged sword of my habit of watching Daytime J! immediately before J! is that I often end up seeing overlapping subject matter. Tonight I almost clammed on one clue tonight (it was about a female celebrity, but I don't remember whom) because I thought she had already come up during the game.
OrangeSAM wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT ... Capitol Building at $400?
Because it's the Library of Congress.
Of course! I've never really given any serious thought to that name before.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

"Helen Mirren? Or is it Judi Dench? I always pick the wrong one -- I'll go with Dench." And indeed, I always pick the wrong one. I only remembered the news story about Mirren swearing at people after the answers were revealed.

I liked that Swift DD.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

econgator wrote:

Wow, you both responded so adamantly that I'm inclined to believe you. At the same time, now I really want you or someone else to provide the smoking gun example because it makes no sense to me why that would be a rule.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
econgator wrote:

Wow, you both responded so adamantly that I'm inclined to believe you. At the same time, now I really want you or someone else to provide the smoking gun example because it makes no sense to me why that would be a rule.
I'm with you, Alex. Coming back with "Plumb" seems like the absolute correct play. If last names are accepted then last names are accepted. I've never heard of any rule that says another player's response changes that rule.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
"Early '60s". That being said, I couldn't pin down the Kennedy (was leaning towards Jackie) and clammed, so I'll agree it was undervalued.
1963 is still "early 60s" so it could have been LBJ.

How was I supposed to know it was Caroline and not any of the 847 other Kennedys?
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
econgator wrote:

$800
(Jerry: What is Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying About the Bomb?)
(Alex [to Jerry]: Yeah, if you'd left it at Dr. Strangelove, I think [*] was the title.)

Dr. Strangelove (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb)

Jerry Reggie

If you guys are correct, wouldn't Reggie have had to provide the full title here? Seems clear from the archive that he just said Dr. Strangelove and was given credit.

Edit to add: If it turns out that I am correct, all I ask is that econgator do the honorable thing and give up his life :D
Last edited by whoisalexjacob on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
1963 is still "early 60s" so it could have been LBJ.

How was I supposed to know it was Caroline and not any of the 847 other Kennedys?
JFK only had one daughter and one son. The clue specified it was a female, so that eliminates JFK Jr.

Jackie, maybe. But it is much more likely to be a child.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Where is Keith? Just noticed I haven't been getting my finalwager emails and see the last video from the 15th promising the next day from "someplace else". Interesting to hear his take on Laurie's awful wagering.