Friday, June 24, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 24, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7330, 2016-06-24

CONTESTANTS
Peyton Brown, a laborer from Chicago, Illinois
Harris Stutman, a medical informaticist from Huntington Beach, California
Laurie MacDougall, a cancer registrar originally from Medford, Massachusetts (whose 3-day cash winnings total $78,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. $78,000, which means she is averaging $26,000 per show. That is quite an accomplishment. Harris and Peyton are here to put a stop to that today. We'll see how successful you are. Good luck, players. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. And these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EDIBLE EXPRESSIONS (4/5)
THE CONSCIENCE FUND (4/5)
FITNESS & EXERCISE (3/5)
HUGE TRACTS "O" LAND (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LATER IN THE SHAKESPEARE SPEECH (5/5) (Alex: We want you to give us the play because we'll deal with...)
CONNECT 4 (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Harris: 11 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Peyton: 8 R, 1 W
Laurie: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Peyton: $2,200
Harris: $1,800
Laurie: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Peyton Brown is involved in something that sounds like a labor of love. You are producing a comedy album, and it's not going to be on CD, it's not going to be on some kind of a technical thing. It's going to be on...?

Peyton: On vinyl.

Alex: Wow.

Peyton: Yeah, with my friend Jared. We figured because there was already very little audience for a long-form narrative comedy album, we would also make it difficult to get and play.

[Laughter]

Alex: I love it, I love it. That's funny in and of itself.

Peyton: Yeah.

Alex: Way to go.

Alex: Harris Stutman, a medical informaticist? What is that?

Harris: I work with electronic, uh, medical records, and hopefully if you find, uh, your doctor is sending prescriptions automatically to the pharmacist, you think that's a great idea, if you think your doctor's spending too much time staring at the computer instead of you, then I'm not doing my job very well.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Laurie MacDougall. I just read something about you here. It says that you saw the first two shows at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. You don't look that old.

[Laughter]

Laurie: The new Shakespeare's Globe, not the old one.

Alex: And what were the two plays you saw?

Laurie: They were Henry V starring Mark Rylance and, um, The Winter's Tale, and I got to be a groundling for The Winter's Tale and get dirt kicked in my face. It was wonderful.

Alex: Sounds like a lot of fun.

Laurie: It was.

Alex: Okay. Good experience.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Harris found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. Laurie had $2,800, Harris had $4,000, and Peyton was at $3,200. Harris wagered $1,000.

HUGE TRACTS "O" LAND $800: The Musgrave Mountain Range is in this region that by some definitions, covers 80% of a continent
(Alex: Harris?)
(Harris: I don't know.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE CONSCIENCE FUND $800: A religious vet sent $500 for stealing from the military, writing, "I am" one of these, "However, I was not always"
(Peyton: What is a thief?)
(Laurie: What is a coward?)

EDIBLE EXPRESSIONS $400: 4-word expression meaning absolutely everything, illustrated here
(Laurie: What is soup to nuts?)
(Alex: Laurie, it's a four-word expression.)

FITNESS & EXERCISE $800: This workout regimen that has trademarked "sport of fitness" calls its gyms "boxes"

FITNESS & EXERCISE $1000: Wood you like to hold this abdominal exercise position for 4 hours & 26 mins. like Mao Weidong did in 2014?
(Alex: Sounds uncomfortable just saying it.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Laurie: $3,800
Peyton: $3,600
Harris: $3,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 24, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BUSINESS MAGAZINES (4/4)
PLACES THAT BECAME WORDS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE CRUSADES (1/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DOUBLE "A" (4/5)
XENON (5/5)
WORRIER PRINCESS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Harris: 12 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Laurie: 6 R, 1 W
Peyton: 4 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Peyton snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Laurie had $11,400, Harris had $9,800, and Peyton was at $3,200. Peyton made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,200.

THE CRUSADES $1600: This future Catholic saint "dogged" Europe in the mid-1140s with powerful sermons encouraging a new crusade
(Peyton: Who is Saint Francis?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Harris who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Laurie had $11,400, Harris had $11,000, and Peyton had nothing in the bank. Harris wagered $2,000.

PLACES THAT BECAME WORDS $2000: A Moroccan seaport on the Strait of Gibraltar lends its name to this citrus fruit
(Harris: What is a kiwi?)
(Alex: No. The city is Tangier, hence the [*]. We have a minute to go now, Harris.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DOUBLE "A" $800: An idolatrous creation as described in the Book of Exodus was pleasing to this biblical man
(Laurie: What is Baal?)
[Nicolas Poussin's The Adoration of the Golden Calf]

THE CRUSADES $2000: In 1291 this city on Israel's northern coast became the last Crusader State to fall to the Muslims
(Harris: What is Jaffa?)
(Peyton: What is Tel Aviv?)

THE CRUSADES $800: In 1260 Mamluk forces from this African nation halted the advance of the Mongols in Palestine

PLACES THAT BECAME WORDS $1600: An apocalyptic battle site named for a hill near Haifa

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Harris: $14,600
Laurie: $11,400
Peyton: $800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ALLITERATIVE AMERICANS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Harris: Wager $8,201 to cover Laurie, but no more than $12,999 so as not to fall behind Peyton's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $6,601.
Laurie: You ought to wager between $3,201 (venusian) and $5,000 (martian), thereby safely covering a $0 bet by Harris.
Peyton: Too bad for you, Peyton, your score is less than Harris's score minus Laurie's score. Unless they both commit an egregious wagering error, you've no hope of moving into first place. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1932 he & several San Francisco colleagues formed Group f/64 to promote greater realism in their art

FINAL SCORES
Peyton: $800 - $799 = $1 (Who Is Jasper Johns) (3rd place)
Laurie: $11,400 - $4,900 = $6,500 (Who) (2nd place)
Harris: $14,600 + $8,400 = $23,000 (Who is Ansel Adams?) (New champion: $23,000)
(Alex: f/64 should have led you to photography.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Harris: $17,600, 23 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Laurie: $11,400, 12 R, 3 W
Peyton: $4,000, 12 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $33,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Harris: 24/60 = .400
Laurie: 12/58 = .207
Peyton: 12/59 = .203
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LATER IN THE SHAKESPEARE SPEECH $800: Something about "the quality of mercy", going into "It blesseth him that gives, and him that takes"
(Harris: What is Othello?)

HUGE TRACTS "O" LAND $1000: The Shetland Islands are about 130 miles north of Scotland; this group of islands is just 20 miles north of the mainland

WORRIER PRINCESS $1600: She's worried about rodents of unusual size in the fire swamp, but Westley doubts they exist until one attacks him
(Alex: The Princess Bride.)

XENON $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows the periodic table on the monitor.) Xenon & the other noble gases were traditionally group zero on the periodic table because it was thought they couldn't form these with other atoms to make chemical compounds

XENON $1600: Xenon is used to create fluorouracil, which is used to treat the basal cell type of this condition
(Harris: What is cancer?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)

BUSINESS MAGAZINES $2000: This personal finance magazine was co-founded by a man named Austin, not rudyard
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Outback
a Christian
from soup to nuts
Crossfit
the plank
St. Bernard
tangerine
Aaron
Acre
Egypt
Armageddon
Ansel Adams
The Merchant of Venice
the Orkneys
(Princess) Buttercup
bonds
skin cancer
Kiplinger

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:31 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ALLITERATIVE AMERICANS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1932 he & several San Francisco colleagues formed Group f/64 to promote greater realism in their art

Laurie MacDougall: 11400-4900=6500
Harris Stutman: 14600+8400=23000 (New Champ!)
Peyton Brown: 800-799=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Show
Ansel Adams (Laurie - Who) (Peyton - Jasper Johns)
Daily Doubles
Harris: 4000-1000
Peyton: 3200-3200
Harris: 11000-2000

Coryats
Laurie: 11400
Harris: 17600
Peyton: 4000

Combined: 33,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:28 pm

F/64 finally clicked at about 28 seconds in, so I will assume I would have had enough time to write down Adams. Good clue.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:29 pm

Instaguess FJ based on the category and the time period. "F/64 should've led you to photography"...sure thing Alex.

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:32 pm

My precall was "Abigail Adams" so I precalled the last name, but I also got the actual answer once the clue was revealed. We have a poster of a print of his (a moonrise over New Mexico) hanging up in the apartment.

I also said "soup to nuts" and lost points for this, but today was one of my highest Coryats since I've been keeping track of that.

Old champion and new champion were solid, congrats to the new guy.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:33 pm

Congrats to Harris on his win. I had 48 correct responses including these triple stumpers: a Christian, from soup to nuts, the plank, Aaron, Egypt, and Armageddon. I also got the missed Daily Doubles of Saint Bernard and tangerine, and I got FJ.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:58 pm

Naurae29 and I tried to precall the FJ response from just the category. She said Walt Whitman; I said Howard Hughes.

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:02 pm

Got the f-stop reference about 15 seconds in, and the category did the rest for me.

The bikini clue reminded me of a classic joke from one of my favorite 'toons from childhood:

phpBB [video]

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:15 pm

Would my response of "Megiddo" have been acceptable for "Armageddon"? I don't think so.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:20 pm

Instaget caps a perfect week for me. Hard to believe the contestants went 4-for-15.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:09 pm

I remember "From soup to nuts" being a triple-stumper Toss-Up on Wheel a few years back. This was back on the old Sony boards, and two of the contestants posted there saying that they had never heard of it.

WLT "Treasury" at $200?

All but "fruit salad" in Edible.

Aaron was negbait for Baal IMO, while Maalox was extremely overvalued.

Can't believe I missed the Leia clue. Somehow I let my mind wander into the Alien franchise even though it clearly didn't fit. I think the "Xenon" category made me think Xenomorphs.

I usually do okay on chemical categories, but I went 0/5 in Xenon.

F/64 meant nothing to me. "Art" had me thinking, you know, actual ARTISTS, and coming up high and dry. As soon as Alex said "photography" I knew who they wanted.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:22 pm

The moment Alex said "photography" I got FJ -- much too late of course. For the first time (I think) I will have to click the Box of Shame on the weekly FJ poll. :cry:
Teems with quiet fun.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:27 pm

immaf wrote:The moment Alex said "photography" I got FJ -- much too late of course.
Same here, went with Howard Hughes just to have someone. Got stuck trying to think of a painter.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:33 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT "Treasury" at $200?
What cabinet department is in charge of money?
TenPoundHammer wrote:Aaron was negbait for Baal IMO
Not when the clue says "this Biblical man."

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:36 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:Instaguess FJ based on the category and the time period. "F/64 should've led you to photography"...sure thing Alex.
Yeah, just stop, Alex.
Spoiler
Show
That's a joke, son! F-stop! Gotta keep on your toes or it'll go right by ya!
OSXpert wrote:My precall was "Abigail Adams" so I precalled the last name...
Mine was, jokingly, "Amy Adams." When the clue was revealed I did instantly get Ansel, though I did ponder Jasper Johns for a little and not surprised by the neg.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:49 pm

When Alex made his opening DJ! round remarks about a close game to the end I thought the game was going to turn into a runaway. Instead...I think I feel like listening to that vault scene from Die Hard.

My solve on the FJ! clue was in between instaget and Alex done reading. San Francisco was what I spotted in the clue first before the year, so I started to think about Beat guys before noticing I needed to set the time machine back a bit. Even with the F in caps I caught on to f/64 being photography so of course Ansel Adams was the guy to lock in thanks to the category eliminating any chance at detours.

Laurie has 9 players ahead of her on the TOC tote board, so it's wait and see if she makes the field. A victory probably would have wrapped up a spot no matter when the event is held.

Let's play the look-alike game for Harris. I'll go with David Foster.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:51 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:Let's play the look-alike game for Harris. I'll go with David Foster.
I thought Mark Harmon, but I agree that David Foster is closer.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:53 pm

MarkBarrett wrote: Let's play the look-alike game for Harris. I'll go with David Foster.
Brad Rutter retweeted someone saying he looks like the courtroom sketch of Tom Brady. https://twitter.com/stingr13_/status/746493684074459136

IronNeck

Post by IronNeck » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:30 pm

One of the rare games where I wasn't actually bookkeeping. Probably did about average on Coryat, but got a rare 0/3 mark on DD, just like the contestants. In retrospect, I don't how I missed "Tangiers". Ugh.

Swept the Exercise and Fitness category, including 2 LT, although I would have a really hard time keeping myself from saying "what is CrossShit?" on the $800 clue, or even "What is a killer scam and a chiropractic's wet dream?"

I got "Orkney Islands" only because I spent a couple of hours feverishly refreshing the UK Referendum results yesterday, and there was a nice picture of all the UK regions and how they voted.

Despite living about 25 miles outside of San Francisco, I didn't get Ansel Adams until Alex mentioned "photography". My guess was George Gershwin. Pretty bad, I know, but at least he was alive and producing in 1931!

Congratulations to the new champion. He had some impressive moments, and unlike Laurie, was actively hunting for the DDs.