Monday, July 4, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Monday, July 4, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OrangeSAM »

I, too, live in the Dland area, and had vague recollection of the Small World-UNICEF connection.

I had to chuckle when I realized this was airing on the Fourth of July. For a couple of years I lived in an apartment roughly equidistant from Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm. One July 4th I ventured to the middle of the athletic fields of the high school across the street and saw the Disney fireworks in the east and the Knott's fireworks in the northwest.
OCSam
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote:I would love to cut the cord, but cable is my only internet choice (sorry, but Hughesnet costs way too much), and I can only get two channels with an antenna--locsl PBS and an independent station, neither of which I ever watch.

I have a bare minimum package and only 5 meg internet, and that's still $100 each month.
Ouch. We have an antenna in the attic that pulls in all the local stations. So we get the major networks and a few independents. The antenna was a couple hundred bucks installed. I have a PC hooked up to the TV and use it as a DVR via Windows Media Center. It's got a 6 TB hard drive, so I don't worry about running out of space. The computer and antenna paid for themselves a long time ago compared to what cable charges. Of course, we don't get FX, SyFy, USA, TNT, A&E, etc. I occasionally miss those, but not nearly enough to pay $40+ a month for them. There's usually a workaround especially if we're willing to wait. Many shows can be seen for free on Hulu. Or they'll show up later on Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. We've got plenty of choices.

For phone we've got an Ooma Telo device that was another couple hundred bucks. It plugs our home phone system into the internet. So we pay nothing for phone service except $4.93 per month in various government fees. It works fine over our 12 MB down 1 MB up internet connection which we get for $24 a month.

So altogether, TV + Netflix + Amazon Prime + home phone + internet, we pay just over $45 per month.
doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

Elijah Baley wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:I'm as much lost on this FJ category as on recent Beatles category. I have been to Disney a few times and still don't know what the FJ is about.

Great game. Tough luck for Justin.

Another cord cutter here. Antenna does a decent job, but I do miss the recording option.
When was the last time you were at Disneyland or Disneyworld and did you go to It's a Small World? Because when "world" is part of the clue and if you know that UNICEF is a United Nations organization dedicated to helping children, I don't see how there is anything else at the Disney parks that comes close. Not to mention that it's almost impossible to get the song out of your head as soon as you think of it. Space Mountain for example - I was surprised to see it show up twice - seems like a pretty random guess of a "futuristic" ride. I would have put money on Justin getting it.

It's another clue where it helps to be a little older - and someone who's been to a Disney park on multiple occasions.
I have gone there at least twice in the last decade. I made the connection to kids and ended up with Peter pan.
I might have even gone to the small world exhibit or ride or whatever, but don't really care for names of rides within the park. So this FJ I'd impossible for me.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

doihavetoreally wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:I'm as much lost on this FJ category as on recent Beatles category. I have been to Disney a few times and still don't know what the FJ is about.

Great game. Tough luck for Justin.

Another cord cutter here. Antenna does a decent job, but I do miss the recording option.
When was the last time you were at Disneyland or Disneyworld and did you go to It's a Small World? Because when "world" is part of the clue and if you know that UNICEF is a United Nations organization dedicated to helping children, I don't see how there is anything else at the Disney parks that comes close. Not to mention that it's almost impossible to get the song out of your head as soon as you think of it. Space Mountain for example - I was surprised to see it show up twice - seems like a pretty random guess of a "futuristic" ride. I would have put money on Justin getting it.

It's another clue where it helps to be a little older - and someone who's been to a Disney park on multiple occasions.
I have gone there at least twice in the last decade. I made the connection to kids and ended up with Peter pan.

I might have even gone to the small world exhibit or ride or whatever, but don't really care for names of rides within the park. So this FJ I'd impossible for me.
So do you get the connection to the FJ clue now? World's Fair, United Nations, Disneyland attraction with children dressed in garb from other countries (and some foreign language singing)?
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Wasn't able to catch this episode, but FJ was an instaget for me. My sister's in town, and Sunday afternoon, we watched "Tomorrowland," which starts off in nothing other than than the 1964 New York World's Fair, and which prominently includes the "It's A Small World" ride. As a result, the ride was fresh in my mind. I've been to Disneyland twice, though (not since January 2005), and we didn't even bother going on the ride either time. :P

In regards to cord cutting...I'm a college student that lives in off-campus housing, and I'm at the mercy at whatever the apartment buildings/management provide. My last apartment, I had to make do with an antenna, and it wouldn't work properly for a while, so I went almost a semester without being able to catch much of "Jeopardy!" (by conventional means, anyhow). In my current apartment, we have cable, but I can't record. Since "Jeopardy!" airs at 6:30 PM here, I miss it probably about half the time, sometimes the whole week if I'm really busy in the evenings. When I go home to visit my family, they thankfully have a DVR so I can just set the show to record and watch it when I have the chance. Mainly for "Jeopardy!" but also because I still enjoy watching things live when I can (or being able to record them when I can't), and considering that most things I watch are still on network TV, I don't think I'd go the cord-cutting route if I had the choice.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 2:13 mark calls out the Archive. I had no idea I have been pronouncing the site wrong all these years. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zipolJmn-qg
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Those lazy, shiftless bastards at the Archive!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote:Those lazy, shiftless bastards at the Archive!
Not to mention weird and crazy! :)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

MarkBarrett wrote:The 2:13 mark calls out the Archive. I had no idea I have been pronouncing the site wrong all these years. :)

And some people say the kids these days have an entitlement mentality.
Sprinkles are for winners.
BobF

Post by BobF »

MarkBarrett wrote:The 2:13 mark calls out the Archive. I had no idea I have been pronouncing the site wrong all these years. :)

"These people [at j arch iv] are weird, crazy."

Yes, people who VOLUNTEER to do things for others are often referred to in that manner. I personally prefer the term "wonderful human beings."
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

I find it pretty gross and insensitive that you would bother to post this video and make fun of its content.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Jeopardy! and live sports for me.
* nod* WAY too many sports I need to see. :)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

omgwheelhouse wrote:I find it pretty gross and insensitive that you would bother to post this video and make fun of its content.
Are you serious or is this dry humor? I feel as though I'm usually the one who gets (overly?) sensitive and uncomfortable about these kinds of things. (Often it involves the treatment of a certain boardie.) But this just seemed like gently poking a little fun--not cruel and malicious. Tone's a tricky thing on the net, I suppose.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

opusthepenguin wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:I find it pretty gross and insensitive that you would bother to post this video and make fun of its content.
Are you serious or is this dry humor? I feel as though I'm usually the one who gets (overly?) sensitive and uncomfortable about these kinds of things. (Often it involves the treatment of a certain boardie.) But this just seemed like gently poking a little fun--not cruel and malicious. Tone's a tricky thing on the net, I suppose.
Serious
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

College (5), Rhyme (1), State (4), Young (2), Shakespeare "M" (3), NASCAR (4)
Catherine (2), Reno (2), 18th Century Art (4), Power (2), Title (4), "I-T" (2)

Lach Trash: Clark Gable

I wasn't familiar with It's A Small World, and when I saw the 1964 World's Fair portion of the clue, I immediately thought of the Unisphere (and didn't remember the name to that, either), even though it's in Queens instead of Disneyland.
jdgalt

Post by jdgalt »

Still on the subject of Mrs P, she requests a ruling on the following clue in the "IT-" category: HYPHENATED ADJECTIVE MEANING EXTREMELY SMALL, LIKE SOME SPIDERS & BIKINIS. She said "What is itty-bitty?" The contestant gave "What is itsy-bitsy" which is of course what they wanted. I've spoilered my vote so as not to unduly influence your deliberations.
Spoiler
I said she'd be negged initially but credited on a reversal. The clue doesn't REQUIRE this to be the same adjective as the one in the songs about the spider and the other one about the bikini. (I phrase it that way to avoid implying there's a song that combines both elements. Shudder.) Those TOMs are there to make the obvious answer easy to get to. They don't rule out a different adjective as long as it's hyphenated, means "extremely small," and starts with "it" per the category.
I wish they were that permissive about also-right answers, but I still remember Mr. Jennings being called wrong for "What is a hoe?" which was clearly also right.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

davey wrote:"It's a Small World" was one of the first attractions I ever saw at Disney World the year it opened - maybe the only one with no line! So I've been prepared for this clue for 45 years...
A number of years ago, I read that the ride broke down, and the passengers were stuck inside while "It's a Small World" played over and over again for nearly an hour. I'm pretty sure that incident is in a Torts textbook under the heading of "Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was looking up something in Wikipedia and saw that one of their feature articles for today was about the Juno spacecraft, which was mentioned on Monday's show. It seems that on Monday, Juno went into orbit around Jupiter. Nice job, writers!!!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BobF wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:America, f*** yeah~
Um, it's supposed to be a family friendly board here.
My apologies. I've seen F-bombs dropped here before without warning.
BobF wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Failing to BMS to blue whale ("wait, isn't there just one kind of whale?") and outright not knowing "pup" (way too generic a word to pin to armadillo) left me at 3/5.
Yeah, the BMS surprised me on that one, so my first (and correct) thought was "just name the largest species of whale". I don't think there are species of whale that have young that are NOT called calves.
The clue said "largest animal" though, which suggested they were going for blue whale specifically.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

jdgalt wrote:
Still on the subject of Mrs P, she requests a ruling on the following clue in the "IT-" category: HYPHENATED ADJECTIVE MEANING EXTREMELY SMALL, LIKE SOME SPIDERS & BIKINIS. She said "What is itty-bitty?" The contestant gave "What is itsy-bitsy" which is of course what they wanted. I've spoilered my vote so as not to unduly influence your deliberations.
Spoiler
I said she'd be negged initially but credited on a reversal. The clue doesn't REQUIRE this to be the same adjective as the one in the songs about the spider and the other one about the bikini. (I phrase it that way to avoid implying there's a song that combines both elements. Shudder.) Those TOMs are there to make the obvious answer easy to get to. They don't rule out a different adjective as long as it's hyphenated, means "extremely small," and starts with "it" per the category.
I wish they were that permissive about also-right answers, but I still remember Mr. Jennings being called wrong for "What is a hoe?" which was clearly also right.
I think in general they are more permissive. I've always believed that a contestant other than KJ would have had that ruling reversed.