Wednesday, July 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7338, 2016-07-06

CONTESTANTS
Emily Hillard, a systems coordinator from Evansville, Indiana
Matt Hoffer-Hawlik, an investment banker and strategy consultant from Boston, Massachusetts
TJ Bateman, a software Q.A. lead from Charlottesville, Virginia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $5,199)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny. Yeah, I'm with you folks. $5,199 is not a lot of money, is it? But we had a killer Final on yesterday's program. None of the players was able to come up with Brigham Young, the correct response. Matt and Emily, let's hope we have an easier Final today for the three of you. Let's go to work now in the first round, the Jeopardy! Round, with these categories now in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CANADIAN PRIME MINISTERS (5/5)
MY NAME IS SYMBOLIC (5/5)
3-LETTER WORDS WITH ONLY 2 VOWELS (4/5)
LITERARY GROUPS & MOVEMENTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HIT THE GYM (3/5)
GET INTO SHAPES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
TJ: 7 R, 0 W
Emily: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matt: $6,000
TJ: $1,000
Emily: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Emily Hillard is a young lady from Indiana who once went on a Stephen King pilgrimage.

Emily: Pilgrimage. Yeah, that's what I like to think of it as. Um, I got involved with his, uh, storytelling, uh, back when I was a preteen and just--just enamored with it. And so I took my mom, and we went up to Maine, and we visited a lot of, uh, sites that inspired his novels.

Alex: Did you get to meet Stephen King?

Emily: No, but we saw his house.

Alex: Oh, okay. Halfway there.

Emily: Halfway there.

Alex: Make another pilgrimage.

Alex: Matt Hoffer-Hawlik from Boston, Massachusetts. Investment banker. Where should American companies be looking abroad now to make their investments?

Matt: Right. So, um, I've actually had a lot of experience in Latin America. I think it's, you know, a pretty--pretty solid sector. Um, you know, there's a lot--lot of of room for return and growth, a lot of, you know, people that, you know, want to have, uh, you know, the goods that American companies can provide, so...

Alex: Okay.

Alex: TJ Bateman is our champion. He is a software Q.A. lead?

TJ: That's right.

Alex: What does that mean?

TJ: It means I help write tests for software to make sure that everything's working properly and we can't break it by doing something that it's not necessarily, uh, thought of to do.

Alex: What do you mean "we can't break it"?

TJ: Just to make sure that, if you feed in weird data and--and do things that it's not quite designed to do--

Alex: Turn it over to the FBI and with the help of a 14-year-old, they will break anything.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay? That's the w--that's it.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. TJ had $4,200, Matt had $7,000, and Emily was at $2,000. Matt made it a True Daily Double, wagering $7,000.

LITERARY GROUPS & MOVEMENTS $400: It was once called the "New Negro Movement"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HIT THE GYM $600: Crunch Gym offers a class that focuses on the lower body called B.L.T., standing for butt & these related parts

HIT THE GYM $800: Sounding like the name of a seed company, it's a squat thrust that's started & finished in a standing position

3-LETTER WORDS WITH ONLY 2 VOWELS $1000: In sushi speak, it's unagi
(Matt: What is roe?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matt: $15,000
TJ: $4,200
Emily: $2,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DEATH IN VENICE (4/5)
BOTONY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TRAVELING ALONG THE 40th PARALLEL N. (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TAXONOMIC FILM LIST (3/5) (Alex: And I'll give you a little heads-up on that. "Genus" will not be one of the correct responses.)
NOVEL VOCABULARY (3/5)
"L" ON WHEELS (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
TJ: 12 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 3 W
Matt: 7 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Emily: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $14,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
TJ snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. TJ had $8,600, Matt had $15,000, and Emily was at $3,200. TJ wagered $3,000.

BOTONY $800: In the early 19th century, Scottish botanist Robert Brown showed how grains of this could be used to classify plants

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Matt who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. TJ had $14,400, Matt had $17,000, and Emily was at $3,200. Matt wagered $6,000.

TRAVELING ALONG THE 40th PARALLEL N. $1200: If you want to stand on the 40th parallel in this capital, go to Ataturk Forest Farm & Zoo; you'll be pretty close

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"L" ON WHEELS $400: Jerry Seinfeld said these 3 letters on a Ford stood for "limited", as in "how many of these damn things we can sell"
(Alex: Limited.)

"L" ON WHEELS $800: It's no myth that Acura introduced this luxury sedan in 1986
(TJ: What is Lexus?)

"L" ON WHEELS $2000: With 381 horsepower, the 2016 model of this Toyota behemoth can haul 8 passengers

DEATH IN VENICE $1600: Before dying in Venice, Canaletto painted scenic views of the city for tourists, like the one of this bridge seen here
(TJ: What is the Bridge of Sighs?)
(Alex: Probably the most famous bridge--[*].)

NOVEL VOCABULARY $1600: Princess Betsy in "Anna Karenina" serves tea from one of these russian-named silver urns

BOTONY $2000: This "colorful" family of flowers, Caryophyllaceae, includes the corn cockle & members of the genus Dianthus

NOVEL VOCABULARY $2000: Swift says Gulliver made "a voyage or two into the Levant", which is on the shores of this sea
(TJ: What is the Lilliputian Sea?)
(Matt: What is the Red Sea?)

TAXONOMIC FILM LIST $1600: In a 2008 title Indiana Jones had to deal with this royal realm
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, TJ.)

TAXONOMIC FILM LIST $2000: It's father vs. daughter in the courtroom as Gene Hackman tilts with Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio in this legal thriller

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Matt: $22,600
TJ: $14,800
Emily: $4,000

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: [To Matt] And that takes you up to $22,600, takes us to Final Jeopardy! Here's the category, players. COMPOSERS. Think about it. Ooh. One player was not happy about that. We'll find out why when we return.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMPOSERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Matt: Wager $7,001 to cover TJ, but no more than $14,599 so as not to fall behind Emily's doubled score.
TJ: You have the hope of surpassing Matt if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,801 to force Matt to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $6,799 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Emily.
Emily: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Brought to our attention by a 1984 film, this Italian had success with the 1780s operas "Tarare" & "Les danaides"

FINAL SCORES
Emily: $4,000 + $4,000 = $8,000 (Who is Antonio Salieri) (2nd place)
TJ: $14,800 - $10,000 = $4,800 (Who is Paganini) (3rd place)
Matt: $22,600 + $7,001 = $29,601 (Who is Salieri?) (New champion: $29,601)
(Alex: [To Emily] Who came to our attention in the film about Mozart. Yes, Amadeus was the movie.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $16,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
TJ: $12,600, 19 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Matt: $11,200, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Emily: $4,000, 6 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $27,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Matt: 24/60 = .400
TJ: 19/59 = .322
Emily: 7/58 = .121
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GET INTO SHAPES $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows an anatomical animation on the monitor.) Hearing, which can be described as nerves responding to sound waves, takes place in this spiral-shaped structure of the inner ear

HIT THE GYM $400: Here's the logo of this dance-fitness workout, done to Latin & world rhythms

MY NAME IS SYMBOLIC $200: For awhile, this musician went by the symbol seen here

DEATH IN VENICE $800: Tintoretto finished his biblical painting of this subject just a few months before his death in Venice
(Matt: Who is Jesus?)

BOTONY $400: Baja, California, is a good place to see the ocotillo, also known as the "vine" this, but be careful

TRAVELING ALONG THE 40th PARALLEL N. $1600: The highest mountains of this Italian island just south of Corsica straddle the 40th parallel
(Matt: What is Sicily?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Harlem Renaissance
legs & thighs
a burpee
eel
pollen
Ankara
LTD
Legend
Land Cruiser
the Rialto
a samovar
the pink family
the Mediterranean Sea
the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Class Action
Antonio Salieri
the cochlea
Zumba
Prince
the Last Supper
a cactus
Sardinia

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:31 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMPOSERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Brought to our attention by a 1984 film, this Italian had success with the 1780s operas “Tarare” & “Les Danaides”

TJ Bateman: 14800-10000=4800
Matt Hoffer-Hawlik: 22600+7001=29,601 (new champ)
Emily Hillard: 4000+4000=8000

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
(Antonio) Salieri (TJ - Paganini)
Daily Doubles
Matt: 7000+7000
TJ: 8600+3000
Matt: 17000+6000

Coryats
TJ: 12600
Matt: 11200
Emily: 4000

Combined: 27,800

Edited to adjust Matt's Coryat score and the Combined.
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:27 pm

Legs and thighs was easy to overthink.

Eel was my only miss in 3 Letter.

Questlove was my only miss in Symbolic. Precalled Prince.

Surprisingly, cochlea was my only get in Shapes. I misheard it as "shades" at first, and wondered what room of the White House had a colorful name.

WLT "Great Britain" at $200?

NHO "Equinox" gyms.

WLT Marco Polo, cactus, or Beijing at $400?

NHO "Species" either.

I knew they wanted the Mozart film Amadeus, but I couldn't get to Salieri since I slept through it. Don't recognize the name at all.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:30 pm

Composers as a category made me frown, but I can do movies, so Salieri was a near instaget.

The new guy seems very strong, and his early true daily double was pretty key.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Congrats to Matt on his win. I had 47 correct responses including these triple stumpers: legs and thighs, LTD, Legend, samovar, pink, and Mediterranean. I also got FJ.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Precalled TPH saying he's never heard of Salieri.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:59 pm

I knew who they wanted but could not remember his name.

Canadian PMs was easy as I knew it would require no knowledge of the subject. Knowing Canada's mother country was Britain was a big help.

The new champ went DD hunting and got rewarded by not finding until the bottom three rows were gone and got a simple clue at the $400 level. Now he has some money to invest n Latin America.

MitchO

Post by MitchO » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:04 pm

I'm so torn about Matt. He played exactly how I want a player to play, good DD hunting, good DD bets, precise and not a lot of guesses.

But OTOH, that slicked hair, that job description made me cringe and of course he's from BOSTON.

Matt, if you're out there, I'm sorry to be so irrational about this, but I just cannot bring myself to like you. I'm sure you understand.

Love, the long haired Yankees fan.

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:07 pm

Tonight's winner was a quizbowl teammate of Michael Bilow, Matt Jackson, and Sam Spaulding. I'm glad that tonight's contestants did a lot better at FJ wagering than last night's ones did.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:16 pm

OSXpert wrote:Composers as a category made me frown, but I can do movies, so Salieri was a near instaget.
I was going to say almost exactly the same thing.

I never would have been able to tell you the title of any of Salieri's compositions, but because of the film Amadeus, I know him as "the guy with the Italian name who was a contemporary and rival of Mozart", so that was good enough to make it very gettable for me.

clprez

Post by clprez » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:51 pm

I knew that FJ! was about the movie Amadeus, but I just couldn't think of Salieri's name in time.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:16 pm

Coryat: $30,200
42 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: legs & thighs, burpee, eel, LTD, Legend, Land Cruiser, (Indiana Jones and the) Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

A Prince clue and a "When Doves Cry" reference in the same game? What are the chances that this game was taped shortly after April 21?

You gotta know Amadeus = Salieri. It's stock J! material.

I think Matt (and Matty ;) ) got hosed on that Tintoretto clue. Jesus could just as plausibly be referred to as the "subject" of the painting, and the close-up on Him was massive negbait.
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT "Great Britain" at $200?

WLT Marco Polo, cactus, or Beijing at $400?
Great Britain: mother country of Canada
Marco Polo: explorer from Venice who was known for telling fantastic tales of his adventures to the East
Cactus: Plant with spines all over it
Beijing: the "Bird's Nest" was the focal point (home of the opening and closing ceremonies and track and field events) of the 2008 Summer Olympics
Sprinkles are for winners.

MitchO

Post by MitchO » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:39 pm

clprez wrote:I knew that FJ! was about the movie Amadeus, but I just couldn't think of Salieri's name in time.
+1

MitchO

Post by MitchO » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:40 pm

BigDaddyMatty wrote:A Prince clue and a "When Doves Cry" reference in the same game?
There was also a P!nk question in the first round and a "pink" question in the second round.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:58 pm

With a game under his belt, let us see how Matt does tomorrow.

After the first TDD, the other contestants should at least try to keep Matt from getting other DDs.

Surprised to see higher coryat for TJ. At least he didn't get FJ. I'll frown at either composers or movies, but was able to get this..
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:59 pm

Unagi = EEL comes up a lot in crossword puzzles as I sure would not have known it otherwise.

In the past we have compared contestants to makes of car. The Harry Potter clue had me thinking about the Sorting Hat. TJ was clearly Hufflepuff and Matt is without a doubt Slytherin.

The scoreboard told one story with Matt having a 22600 to 14800 advantage over TJ for the FJ! round. The Coryat tally turned the tables with TJ having the edge 12600 to Matt's 11200.

Matt has to learn a great J! round does not make a match. Good for TJ for making the DJ! round interesting.

The old game I will put into the Archive tomorrow has a regular round clue about Amadeus, so I liked the timing of tonight's FJ! clue. Getting Salieri tonight slightly made up for missing the "lover of God" FJ! clue from last month.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:32 pm

Matt may have burned more calories in a single game than any J! contestant ever.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:55 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:Matt may have burned more calories in a single game than any J! contestant ever.
More than Jennifer Morrow?

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:23 am

Tonight's Gulliver's Travels clue mentioned the Levant. In case you've ever wondered why a certain terrorist organization is alternatively referred to as either "ISIS" or "ISIL," it's a question of whether they are the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria or the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant. I personally find it odd that anyone would ascribe more territory to this group than they actually control, but that's the distinction.
Sprinkles are for winners.