Friday, July 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7340, 2016-07-08

CONTESTANTS
Pam Platt, a writer and editor from Louisville, Kentucky
Mike Solano, a speech-language pathology graduate student from Sleepy Hollow, New York
Bonnie Megel, an administrative assistant from Grinnell, Iowa (whose 1-day cash winnings total $31,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Good to have you with us once again. Bonnie is, like so many of our other champions, a good player. She knows how to handle herself in the game, knows how to wager properly, and she's very bright, also. So, Pam and Mike, do your best today against her. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round. All right. Here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STATES THAT BEGIN WITH CALIFORN (5/5)
IS THIS A HAT? (5/5)
CATCH THESE MEN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A PETITE DEJEUNER (4/5)
"S" WORDS (5/5)
SNL CRACKS US UP (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Pam: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Bonnie: 9 R, 1 W
Mike: 9 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Pam found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Bonnie had $1,200, Mike had $3,000, and Pam was at $2,000. Pam made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

CATCH THESE MEN $400: 12 days after his heinous act, he was discovered in a barn with David Herold & surrounded in rural Virginia

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Mike: $4,400
Pam: $4,000
Bonnie: $2,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Pam Platt is a writer and editor from Louisville, Kentucky, who has managed to do something that I had on my bucket list, but never got to do. You witnessed a Space Shuttle launch--the first and the last ones, as a matter of fact.

Pam: And a bunch in between.

Alex: Yeah.

Pam: I worked at a newspaper on the Space Coast--Florida Today. And, um, I was at the first launch and saw Columbia go, and I was at the last launch, and I--as I said, I saw many in between.

Alex: The reason I wanted to be there for one of the launches was to experience firsthand the sound--

Pam: Mm-hm.

Alex: --of those rockets.

Pam: Well, it's the sound, and it's also the feeling. Uh, it's--if you're close enough--I was at the press site--um, you could feel it, like, coming up through your body. Most beautiful thing I ever saw, except for my daughter.

Alex: Okay.

Pam: Mmm.

Alex: Mike Solano from Sleepy Hollow, New York. You once did some work for a minor league baseball team, and there was a problem of some kind that came up.

Mike: Yeah, we had, uh, former professional wrestling champion Mick Foley in attendance, and one of our gimmicks was for three of the employees to dress as giant hot dogs and have a race down the left field line. So when I knew he was there and I knew that the plan that night was to have him take out one of the hot dogs with a patented clothesline, me, being a lifelong wrestling fan, said, "I'll do it!"

Alex: Uh-huh.

Mike: And I'll never that wrestling was fake again, 'cause he really laid into me.

Alex: Yeah.

[Laughter]

Alex: They--they're not always great actors. They take it seriously.

Mike: I learned the hard way.

Alex: All right. Bonnie Megel is our champion. Uh, I have two bits of good news for you. First of all, happy birthday, because today is your birthday. Now, the second piece of good news is that I am not going to sing "Happy Birthday".

[Laughter]

Alex: Does that make you feel a lot better?

Bonnie: A little, yes.

Alex: Okay, how do you usually celebrate your birthday? With family, friends, parties--what?

Bonnie: Uh, just with family. A couple years ago, my dog brought me a squirrel for my birthday.

[Laughter]

Alex: You're easy to shop for, I think.

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A PETITE DEJEUNER $800: This bite-size cereal from Kellogg's has flavors like frosted strawberry & maple brown sugar
(Bonnie: What are Pop-Tarts?)
(Pam: Um, oh, uh, what is shredded wheat?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Pam: $6,800
Mike: $4,800
Bonnie: $4,600

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
RANKS & TITLES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SPORTS ON FILM (5/5) (Alex: You have to name the sport the film is about.)
ANATOMY (3/5)
SAY IT IN SWEDISH (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AMERICAN DRAMATISTS (5/5)
AN "F" IN HISTORY (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Pam: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Bonnie: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Mike: 8 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bonnie snagged the next Daily Double on the 27th clue. Bonnie had $9,400, Mike had $7,600, and Pam was at $15,600. Bonnie wagered $4,000.

RANKS & TITLES $1600: A French nobleman of the lowest rank, it comes from the Old French for "horseman"
(Bonnie: What is cavalier?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Bonnie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Bonnie had $7,400, Mike had $7,600, and Pam was at $15,600. Bonnie wagered $5,000.

SAY IT IN SWEDISH $1600: Smör, as in smorgasbord, is this spreadable stuff

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AN "F" IN HISTORY $2000: This post-civil war bureau provided jobs, medical care & land to former slaves & destitute whites
(Mike: What is the Freeman's Bureau?)
(Bonnie: What is the Freeman's Bureau?)

ANATOMY $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows an anatomical diagram on the monitor.) The point called the funny bone is a sensitive spot on the pathway beginning in the spine, going through your shoulder, down your arm, to your ring & pinkie fingers, known as this nerve

ANATOMY $2000: From Latin for "tailor", this longest muscle in the body crosses the thigh from the hip to the lower leg

RANKS & TITLES $400: Learn the 3 R's with this college official who keeps track of academic standing & enrollment
(Mike: Who is the dean?)
(Pam: What's the provost?)
(Alex: A word which has three R's.)

SAY IT IN SWEDISH $2000: Fågel means this type of creature

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Pam: $15,600
Bonnie: $12,400
Mike: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TRANSPORTATION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Pam: Wager $9,201 to cover Bonnie.
Bonnie: You'll want to wager $3,201, and you'll win the game if Pam wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Mike: Think about risking $1,200, thereby beating Pam on the Triple Stumper (should Pam wager to cover Bonnie's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Trans-Siberian Railway, one of the world's longest, spans 5,770 miles from Moscow to this port city on the sea of Japan

FINAL SCORES
Mike: $7,600 - $3,400 = $4,200 (What is Shangai?) (3rd place)
Bonnie: $12,400 + $9,300 = $21,700 (What is Vladivostok?) (2nd place)
Pam: $15,600 + $12,000 = $27,600 (What is Vladivostok?) (New champion: $27,600)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Pam: $14,000, 19 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Bonnie: $13,000, 17 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Mike: $7,600, 17 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $34,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Pam: 20/59 = .339
Bonnie: 18/60 = .300
Mike: 17/58 = .293
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
STATES THAT BEGIN WITH CALIFORN $1000: Shown here, it's the port city located on the same-named peninsula, Jack

IS THIS A HAT? $800: Biretta,
Mannix,
Rockford
(Alex: Yes, worn by a priest.)

A PETITE DEJEUNER $1000: As opposed to rolled oats, Quaker offers this "metallic" version that has "a heartier texture"
(Mike: What are steel oats? Steeled oats?)

SPORTS ON FILM $400: "Moneyball"
(Alex: I figured you'd get that one.)

SPORTS ON FILM $1600: "McFarland, USA"
(Mike: What is... baseball?)

AMERICAN DRAMATISTS $1200: This playwright/actor explores dysfunctional & barely functional families in plays like 2012's "Heartless"

SAY IT IN SWEDISH $1200: Sweden's top rate of this, imkomstskatt, is 56%
(Pam: What is taxation?) (Alex: Be a little more specific.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
John Wilkes Booth
Mini-Wheats
chevalier
butter
the Freedmen's Bureau
the ulnar nerve
the sartorius
the registrar
a bird
Vladivostok
Monterey
biretta
steel-cut
baseball
track (or running)
Sam Shepard
income tax

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TRANSPORTATION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Trans-Siberian Railway, one of the world’s longest, spans 5,770 miles from Moscow to this port city on the Sea of Japan

Bonnie Megel: 12400+9300=21700
Mike Solano: 7600-3400=4200
Pam Platt: 15600+12000=27600 (New champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Vladivostok (Mike - Shanghai)
Daily Doubles
Pam: 2000+2000
Bonnie: 9400-4000
Bonnie: 7400+5000

Coryats
Bonnie: 13000
Mike: 7600
Pam: 14000

Combined: 34,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Pam on her win. I had 47 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Mini-Wheats, Freedmen's Bureau, ulnar, sartorius, and registrar. I also got the missed DD of chevalier, and I got FJ.

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Most of my (basically non existent) knowledge of eastern russia comes from Risk, so I had no idea and said Irkutsk, which is only about 3000 miles awayl :? Unfortunately this broke a FJ streak for me.

Well played game, I think.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Somehow I managed to switch Vladivostok for Sevastopol.

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Good game from Pam! Glad to see a local do well. She worked for our local newspaper for many years.

Instaget FJ!
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I also said Irkutsk, and I more or less knew it wasn't right, because I felt like Jeopardy! wouldn't ask for it. But it was the only city in eastern Russia I could think of. I also thought of "Kamchatka", which is a peninsula.

I knew there was probably a city in eastern Russia I was overlooking, but I just couldn't think of it.

I've definitely heard of Vladivostok, but it just wasn't coming to me. Now that I look at a map, I'm not sure whether I ever knew exactly where Vladivostok is (other than "somewhere in Russia").

I was 4/5 on the earlier FJs this week. :(

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Nice game today. Loved Pam's enthusiasm and good humor, and she played strong. I hope to see her repeat on Monday. Bonnie gave her a run for her money towards the end with that second DD.

Mad at myself for missing Kate McKinnon in the SNL category. She's brilliant.

After running that sports movies category in DJ!, I muttered to myself, "Thank goodness I've heard of all of those..." :P

FJ! was weird and wonderful for me. First I parsed the clue wrong and thought it was talking about a Japanese city (I even told my roommate, who was watching with me and served as a missionary in Japan, not to say the response if he knew it). Then I realized it's, you know, a railroad, and quickly switched to Russia. I remembered Vladivostok was a particularly far-out city (in another missionary connection, someone in my old church congregation had served there years ago and that's how I knew about it), and stuck with that. I was very surprised to find out it was right. My reaction was even more enthusiastic than usual because it gave me my first 5/5 week in quite some time. :D

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Vladivostok was an instaget, but then the tension for me was waiting to see if one of the contestants spelled it just wrong enough to get dinged on it. Kudos to the ladies for getting it right. Yeah, Pam was fun to watch.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Pam's a funny one as I enjoyed her reluctance to take a crack at saying A PETITE DEJEUNER. Each time she had a call in there it was money amount only or even "That category" followed by the amount.

Even when I solve the FJ! clue I find a way to have a blunder. I saw Sea of Japan and port city and wrote Osaka. I thought about other cities in Japan that had hosted the Olympics or are J! possible like Kobe and Yokohama. It was more than halfway through think time that in looking at the clue once more I woke up to what exactly Trans-Siberian meant.

Fortunately for me in 32 seasons of watching J! I've picked up a thing or two through repetition, so there was no doubt Vladivostok was the one.

http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

I wanted to hear more of Bonnie's stories as she was 2/2 with winners with the large dogs in the back of the squad car and the dog bringing her a squirrel for her birthday. You tell one of those at the audition with her crisp style without rambling and the phone will be ringing soon.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Kamchatka here, might have gotten the right answer if spotted the 'V'... Thus ends my record FJ streak at 24.

Vowela

Post by Vowela »

barandall800 wrote:FJ! was weird and wonderful for me. First I parsed the clue wrong and thought it was talking about a Japanese city (I even told my roommate, who was watching with me and served as a missionary in Japan, not to say the response if he knew it). Then I realized it's, you know, a railroad, and quickly switched to Russia.
I feel a little better that someone else made that mistake. It was too late by the time I realized the clue didn't want a Japanese city :oops:.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

The endpoints of the Trans-Siberian Railway are fairly basic knowledge to a trainman.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Oh, how I laughed at "CATCH THESE MEN". That's one of the SNL categories I'd forgotten about.

I'm pretty bad at sports and movies, but my only miss in that category was McFarland, USA, which I don't believe I'd ever heard of. I was hoping the golf one would be Happy Gilmore, but they'd probably have to accept ice hockey too with that.

Vladivostok has long been one of my favorite place names, and it was my answer because it was the only Eastern Russian city I could think of. But I was pretty sure I was wrong, thinking there was another city over there that I always forget the name of that would turn out to be the right answer. I think I might have been thinking of the Kamchatka Peninsula, which I always do forget the name of.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $28,400
41 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Frosted Mini-Wheats, registrar

Sorry to steal Golf's thunder, but there are seven clues left on the board, a 50/50 shot at a DD if you stay in the same category, and you pick the one clue on the board where the DD can't possibly be? Boo, hiss. Pam was lucky that Bonnie was only able to convert one of the two DDs. Like Bonnie, I was only able to get to cavalier instead of Franco-cizing it to chevalier.

I grew up 30 minutes from McFarland, (CA,) USA. One of my friends from junior high school, who was a state champion middle-distance runner and now coaches high school track, plays one of the coaches in the movie. However, when I was growing up, what McFarland was actually known for was a mysterious cancer cluster.
barandall800 wrote:FJ! was weird and wonderful for me. First I parsed the clue wrong and thought it was talking about a Japanese city (I even told my roommate, who was watching with me and served as a missionary in Japan, not to say the response if he knew it). Then I realized it's, you know, a railroad, and quickly switched to Russia. I remembered Vladivostok was a particularly far-out city (in another missionary connection, someone in my old church congregation had served there years ago and that's how I knew about it), and stuck with that. I was very surprised to find out it was right. My reaction was even more enthusiastic than usual because it gave me my first 5/5 week in quite some time. :D
I might've made the same mistake, but I lived on the Sea of Japan during my mission (in the city of Komatsu, home of the namesake equipment manufacturer), so I realized immediately that there weren't railroad tracks across the water. Luckily, there's one thing I remember from Mrs. Gehrke's 9th grade World Civ class, and it's the eastern Russian port city of Vladivostok.
Sprinkles are for winners.

JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Like Bonnie, I was only able to get to cavalier instead of Franco-cizing it to chevalier.
Me too. I was bummed out by that DD. Sigh. Sad to see Bonnie go. She represented Iowa well!

I got this FJ too - a whole week of correct FJ answers for me! Certainly a record.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I cracked up at "Catch These Men".

Scaffolds can be for prisoners?

SNL was entirely over my head except "cowbell".

"Chewy" to me suggests a gum-like consistency, not chewy in the way a bagel is. That often trips me up.

Surprisingly, I ran Is This a Hat? I got that $800 one not because I knew the hat proper, but because I knew that Mannix and Rockford (Files) are TV shows.

WLT "furs" at $400? I was 0/5 in that category.

NHO any of those sports films.

I play at an Episcopal church and have never heard the word "vicar" come up.

Anyone else hear coughing during the first half of DJ!?

How is "fagel" supposed to lead to bird? That was my only miss.

I used to live near a Chevalier Street, but never knew what the word meant.

No guess on FJ!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Surprisingly, I ran Is This a Hat? I got that $800 one not because I knew the hat proper, but because I knew that Mannix and Rockford (Files) are TV shows.
Baretta being spelled wrong differently is what pointed to it for me.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:How is "fagel" supposed to lead to bird? That was my only miss.
It resembles "vogel", which is the German word for bird, but of course that only helps if you know German.

I agree that that was harder than the other clues in the category, and was appropriately placed in the bottom row.