Tuesday, July 12, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7342, 2016-07-12

CONTESTANTS
Jessica Plagens, a graphic designer from St. Paul, Minnesota
Amy Ware, a registered nurse from South Deerfield, Massachusetts
Jason George, a management consultant originally from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (whose 1-day cash winnings total $18,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. A very impressive debut for our champion Jason George on yesterday's program. Almost turned it into a runaway, but not quite. Let's see what happens today as he faces these ladies. Amy and Jessica, good to have you with us. Let's go to work. One Daily Double coming up in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PICTURES THE WORD (5/5) (Alex: We'll show you two pictures, you give us the word that those two pictures signify.)
HOW INVENTIVE! (5/5)
THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SIGNATURE SONGS (5/5)
OF BOOKS & BOATS (4/5)
HAMBURGER JOINTS (5/5) (Alex: We'll give you a burger, you still us which fast food company produces that burger.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Amy: 12 R, 1 W
Jessica: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Amy: $3,800
Jessica: $2,400
Jason: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Jessica Plagens is from St. Paul, Minnesota. And she used to have a job that sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Jessica: It was a lot of fun. For 6 1/2 years, I worked at a German restaurant in beautiful Northeast Minneapolis. And I wore a full dirndl, and carried large steins of beer and yelled drinking cheers.

Alex: And I bet you had a happy crowd there all the time.

Jessica: I sure did.

Alex: Yeah. Good tips?

Jessica: Most of the time, yeah.

Alex: All right, that's good news.

Alex: Amy ware is a registered nurse from Massachusetts.

Amy: Yes.

Alex: Who once got a role in ballet just by smiling?

Amy: I sure did. This was a modern dance production of Alice in Wonderland. And the choreographer was choosing the roles. And at one point she said, "All right, everyone stop, and smile." Then we all smiled. She looked around and then she pointed at me and said, "You." And I got the role of the Cheshire Cat.

Alex: Oh, hey. That's an important role.

Amy: It is an important role.

Alex: Because smiling is very important in that role.

Amy: That's right.

Alex: Jason George is our champion. And I admire fellows who come up with innovative ways to propose to their loved ones. Tell us about your proposal to your now wife.

Jason: Right, so I took my wife Betsy--my fiancee or yet-to-be fiancee at that point--through the Twin Cities to different places we had been to. And at each one, I gave her a photograph. But the last place we went to, the photograph was missing because that was the spot that I was going to propose to her.

Alex: Aha. She accepted, obviously. Yeah.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Jason had $3,400, Amy had $4,800, and Jessica was at $3,200. Jason made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,400.

THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE $800: The 1984 Nobel Peace Prize went to this man, "Africa's peace bishop"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OF BOOKS & BOATS $800: The Sealing schooner ghost is brutal Captain Wolf Larsen's ship in a 1904 tale by this man

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jason: $9,400
Amy: $6,200
Jessica: $3,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GETTING READY FOR THE OLYMPICS (5/5)
3 LITTLE WORDS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MILITARY MEN? (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
EELS (2/5)
"BEN" THERE (5/5)
DONE THAT (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jessica: 7 R, 1 W
Amy: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Jason had $13,400, Amy had $5,000, and Jessica was at $3,400. Jason wagered $6,000.

3 LITTLE WORDS $1200: In a 1988 political speech, they came before "No new taxes"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Amy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Jason had $25,000, Amy had $7,400, and Jessica was at $7,400. Amy wagered $5,000.

MILITARY MEN? $1600: Looks like many brave officers are here! This Kipling tale is subtitled "A Story of the Grand Banks"
(Alex: Amy?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
3 LITTLE WORDS $1600: Proverbially, it "is better than none"
(Jason: What is two...?)
(Amy: What is a little bit?)

DONE THAT $2000: Became director of Vienna's Society of Friends of Music in 1872
(Jessica: Who is Mozart?)

DONE THAT $1200: Discovered "beads" around the sun during an 1836 eclipse

EELS $2000: There are about 100 species of this 6-letter variety of eel that can be 6 feet long

EELS $1600: These long, slender sharklike fish of the Sphyraenidae family are among an eel's natural enemies

EELS $1200: This term is used for a young eel, especially when on migration upriver from the ocean

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jason: $25,000 (lock game)
Jessica: $7,400
Amy: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POLITICAL WORDS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Jason: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $10,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Jessica: Wager $3,001 to cover Amy.
Amy: Risk between $0 and $800, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Hamilton began & ended the Federalist Papers warning of this type of person, Greek for "people's leader"

FINAL SCORES
Amy: $5,200 - $5,195 = $5 (What is a populist?) (3rd place)
Jessica: $7,400 - $3,100 = $4,300 (What is a tyrant?) (2nd place)
Jason: $25,000 + $10,199 = $35,199 (What is a demagogue?) (18402-day champion: $35,199)
(Alex: What's the Greek word for "people"? That would've set you off in the right direction.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jason: $17,600, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Amy: $10,200, 18 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Jessica: $7,400, 13 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $35,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jason: 22/60 = .367
Amy: 18/59 = .305
Jessica: 13/58 = .224
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PICTURES THE WORD $800: It's the right way to go

PICTURES THE WORD $200: A cetaceous mammal

PICTURES THE WORD $400: Benny Goodman & Miles Davis had this job

PICTURES THE WORD $600: Showing good manners

SIGNATURE SONGS $800: Celine Dion sang this movie theme in one take & said, "I never sang the song again...well, except 3 mil. times after that live"
(Amy: What is Titanic?)
(Alex: From Titanic. Yes.)

SIGNATURE SONGS $1000: Seen here, he turned George Gershwin's unsuccessful song "Swanee" into one of his trademark tunes

PICTURES THE WORD $1000: A renter

HOW INVENTIVE! $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew demonstrates.) Mirrors placed at 60 or 45 degree angles are key to this optical device invented in 1816 by British physicist Sir David Brewster

THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE $600: World leader and 1990 honoree seen here

3 LITTLE WORDS $800: It's what you "hate to" do if you can't linger after a meal
(Jason: What is dine and dash?)

EELS $400: There are more than 800 species of eels, including this large nocturnal hunter

DONE THAT $1600: Set out on an around the world trip in November of 1889

CORRECT RESPONSES
(Desmond) Tutu
Jack London
read my lips
Captains Courageous
half a loaf
Johannes Brahms
Francis Baily
the conger eel
barracuda
an elver
a demagogue
starboard
a dolphin
a bandleader
polite
"My Heart Will Go On"
Al Jolson
a tenant
a kaleidoscope
Gorbachev
eat and run
the moray
Nellie Bly

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:31 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POLITICAL WORDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Hamilton began & ended the Federalist Papers warning of this type of person, Greek for “people’s leader”

Jason George: 25000+10199=35199 (2x = $53,600)
Amy Ware: 5200-5195=5
Jessica Plagens: 7400-3100=4300

Correct response:
Spoiler
Show
demagogue (Amy - populist) (Jessica - tyrant)
Daily Doubles
Jason: 3400+3400
Jason: 13400+6000
Amy: 7400-5000

Coryats
Jason: 17600
Amy: 10200
Jessica: 7400

Combined: 35,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:08 pm

What a great runaway today! I don't think there's been a runaway in a while. Has there? Lot of close calls. I especially liked how the champ stayed clam once he got to $25,000.

I said China for Tienanmen Square. Would I get BMS or be called wrong?

FJ instaget. After eight years of a demagogue, it's time for someone new.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:26 pm

I knew what cetacean meant, but seeing a fin in the picture, and thinking that it was a specific doll with a name tripped me up. Also went "the hell is a bracelet-Obama?" and "Um... Hemingway-bulb?".

Hardee's for Sonic cost me the run in Burgers. They ALWAYS find one to trip me up in those freaking fast food categories!

All but Al Jolson in Signature.

"Jason." "Who is Jason?" I lol'd.

"Ipanema" was my only get in Olympics, since it was the only one that didn't require actual sportular knowledge.

"Half a loaf" was my only miss in Words.

Eels provided me with a rare 0/5 in an animal category. Just couldn't think of any types of eel, not even electric or moray.

Greek prefixes always elude me when I need them. Not like it would've helped since I don't recognize the correct response.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:32 pm

My mind went instantly to tyrant, but I got to demagogue pretty quickly after that.

Jason is real sharp, and yes I enjoyed him getting the Jason clue.

Not that it mattered since that was a pretty tough Kipling clue, but the challenger should have bet more on her DD.

floridagator wrote:After eight years of a demagogue, it's time for someone new.
This is great
:lol:

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:35 pm

Jason played an excellent game; congrats to him on his second win. I had 49 correct responses including these triple stumpers: half a loaf, Brahms, Baily, and elver. I also got the missed DD of Captains Courageous, and I got FJ.

Positivelyskewed
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Positivelyskewed » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:37 pm

"Dine and dash" should have been acceptable IMO

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:45 pm

Dominating performance by Jason. Way to make it look easy, buddy.

On the one hand, Amy's DD wager of $5000 was gutsier than what we usually see. On the other hand, it still would've left her $100 shy of half Jason's score. I guess her brain was just shutting down by that point.

What's the record for number of BMS'es on a clue? For the clue about the location of student protests in 1989, I shouted out "What is China?" just to be a smart-arse. On BMS, I would've said, "What is Beijing?"

I expected a reversal after Jason got negged for "dine and dash." "I hate to eat and run" is definitely far more common. But "I hate to dine and dash" is not unattested in the Google-verse.

Alex said "We'll accept that" when Amy gave "General Accounting Office" as the expansion of G.A.O. He didn't say what they were actually looking for. Apparently, it's the Government Accountability Office (formerly known as the General Accounting Office). Does that mean the judges would have rejected my wife's response of "Government Accounting Office"?

gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:51 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Alex said "We'll accept that" when Amy gave "General Accounting Office" as the expansion of G.A.O. He didn't say what they were actually looking for. Apparently, it's the Government Accountability Office (formerly known as the General Accounting Office). Does that mean the judges would have rejected my wife's response of "Government Accounting Office"?
I also said Government Accounting Office, but the category was "Military Men?" so Amy's response fit the clue better. I, too, was waiting for Alex to say what they were actually looking for.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca

ron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ron » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:02 pm

opusthepenguin wrote: I expected a reversal after Jason got negged for "dine and dash." "I hate to eat and run" is definitely far more common. But "I hate to dine and dash" is not unattested in the Google-verse.
"Dine and dash" specifically means to leave a restaurant without paying.

I was so slow & tired today, had some brutal boards. Somehow went 1/5 in picture words. Did get all of the DJs and the FJ fairly easily though.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:05 pm

42R gave Tyrant. Even knowing Greek for peeps = 'Demo'. Another 'Titanic' responder too. I'm failing! :?

Coupla LT though: Bailey's Beads (yep has appeared b4!); Brahms (Mozart was de-composing in 1872); Elver = juvenile eel! (Tough Cat!) :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:08 pm

ron wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote: I expected a reversal after Jason got negged for "dine and dash." "I hate to eat and run" is definitely far more common. But "I hate to dine and dash" is not unattested in the Google-verse.
"Dine and dash" specifically means to leave a restaurant without paying.
I'm aware of that. But the phrase wasn't used in isolation. It was used as the last three words of "I hate to dine and dash." Google that complete phrase and you will find that it is synonymous with "I hate to eat and run." It does NOT mean "I hate to leave the restaurant without paying."

ron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ron » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:14 pm

opusthepenguin wrote: I'm aware of that. But the phrase wasn't used in isolation. It was used as the last three words of "I hate to dine and dash." Google that complete phrase and you will find that it is synonymous with "I hate to eat and run." It does NOT mean "I hate to leave the restaurant without paying."
Oh, well I don't remember how the question was worded exactly. I guess there's always a grey area when you're asking about something as vague as a "common phrase" or whatever it was supposed to be.

jgeorge

Post by jgeorge » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:21 pm

I was surprised myself by dine and dash getting dinged. I liked Amy's bold wager and told her as much after the game, though she could have gone bigger. Was happy to see someone realizing they needed to go big.

But once I saw the numbers remaining on the board I just stopped ringing. No need to risk the lock.

It's tough because Jess and Amy end up splitting clues when one of them has to take them all to break the lock, but there's no way to coordinate that. Wonder if anyone in 3rd place has conspicuously put their buzzer down to signal to #2 that they need to take everything.

JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:32 pm

jgeorge wrote:I was surprised myself by dine and dash getting dinged. I liked Amy's bold wager and told her as much after the game, though she could have gone bigger. Was happy to see someone realizing they needed to go big.

But once I saw the numbers remaining on the board I just stopped ringing. No need to risk the lock.

It's tough because Jess and Amy end up splitting clues when one of them has to take them all to break the lock, but there's no way to coordinate that. Wonder if anyone in 3rd place has conspicuously put their buzzer down to signal to #2 that they need to take everything.
Hey Jason - Great game!! Your competitors were also very strong. Your big DD wagers really made the difference in the game. I was worried for you on the "Read My Lips" DD because you were probably a young whippersnapper when that phrase was used.

Now I'm wondering if there will be TWO Jasons in the TOC this year? Hmmmmm.

I am 7 for 7 in the last 7 FJs!! This has got to be a record for me! Yay me!

pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:01 pm

How did Alex know to match his tie to Jason's and Jill's outfits in their respective pictures above?

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:31 pm

ron wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote: I'm aware of that. But the phrase wasn't used in isolation. It was used as the last three words of "I hate to dine and dash." Google that complete phrase and you will find that it is synonymous with "I hate to eat and run." It does NOT mean "I hate to leave the restaurant without paying."
Oh, well I don't remember how the question was worded exactly. I guess there's always a grey area when you're asking about something as vague as a "common phrase" or whatever it was supposed to be.
IT'S WHAT YOU "HATE TO" DO IF YOU CAN'T LINGER AFTER A MEAL

When Jason said "dine and dash," I had the same thought as you. Nah, that's when you leave a restaurant without paying. Then I keyed in on the "hate to" and wondered if his response was accidentally acceptable. If I'd been at the judges' table, I'd have argued in favor of a reversal. But I don't feel it was a grave injustice to leave things as they were. It's not like the time they robbed Scott Lord of his sixth win because they didn't research his perfectly acceptable spelling of "Scherazade".

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:34 pm

pauerpoint wrote:How did Alex know to match his tie to Jason's and Jill's outfits in their respective pictures above?
Usually at least one of the contestants will be wearing at outfit that coordinates with Alex's. That contestant is then selected to win the game. The other contestants somehow find themselves having trouble with the buzzer.

boson
Trivial

Post by boson » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:46 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
pauerpoint wrote:How did Alex know to match his tie to Jason's and Jill's outfits in their respective pictures above?
Usually at least one of the contestants will be wearing at outfit that coordinates with Alex's. That contestant is then selected to win the game. The other contestants somehow find themselves having trouble with the buzzer.
New strategy: wear Perry Ellis.