Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players
Posts: 3616
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm
Contact:

Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7346, 2016-07-18

CONTESTANTS
Emily DeArdo, a writer from Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Hans Huizing, a principal from Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Ellen Corrigan, a law clerk from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (whose 2-day cash winnings total $23,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. This summer's just speeding along, isn't it? We are happy to welcome back our young champion, Ellen, who didn't win much money when she became champ, but on Friday last, made up for it by winning close to 20,000. Hans and Emily, good to have you with us. Let's go to work, shall we, in the first round, the Jeopardy! round. And here are your categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SCIENCE (2/5)
MUSIC FROM THE 2000s (5/5)
DOUBLE U, DOUBLE V OR DOUBLE W (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FASHION (4/5)
LANGUAGES (5/5)
MAN-AGRAMS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ellen: 12 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Hans: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Emily: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400



SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ellen: $4,000
Hans: $2,400
Emily: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS



Alex: Emily DeArdo is from Ohio. She's a writer and ten years ago received a double lung transplant.

Emily: I did. It's actually been eleven years now. I was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis when I was a little girl, and when I was 23, my hospital decided it was time to list me for a transplant. And so I was actually the first one in our center in Ohio, and since then, everything's been great.

Alex: Good for you. Nice to have you with us.




Alex: Hans Huizing. Principal from Red Deer, Alberta, Canada. Now when you were younger, your dad kinda put you on the spot a little.

Hans: Yeah, he gave me some motivation.

Alex: Why?

Hans: Well, we were eating dinner one night and through--between the potatoes and the peas, he looks at me, 'cause we were watching Jeopardy! while we were eating. He goes, "I don't think you're that smart until you win $25,000 on Jeopardy!." I thought that was a pretty good motivator, but I know that thirty years from--you know, has passed, and I know my dad thinks I'm pretty smart. So much, in fact, that, when I said I was coming on the show, he said, "Buy me a ticket, I'm coming along."

Alex: Oh. And he's here in the audience?

Hans: He's here in the audience.

Alex: All right, good. Hey! He just waved to us. All right.




Alex: Ellen Corrigan is our champion. She is a law clerk who was the Hamlet champion in school.

Ellen: Yes.

Alex: What was the Hamlet championship all about?

Ellen: So my 12th grade literature teacher, after we read Hamlet, would do a competition every year. And uh, it would be progressively harder questions from the books, and ended with basically doing whatever we wanted that we thought would prove that we were Hamlet champions. So I ended up doing the Yorick soliloquy for the class.

Alex: Alas, poor Yorick.

Ellen: Yes. And I won, so I--

Alex: Congratulations.

Ellen: --hope I remember enough of it.

Alex: And you're a two-time winner on our program, and you have command of the board right now.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Hans found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Ellen had $5,400, Hans had $3,800, and Emily was at $1,000. Hans wagered $1,800.

DOUBLE U, DOUBLE V OR DOUBLE W $800: In September 2014 there was a United Tribes International one of these held in Bismarck, North Dakota

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FASHION $1000: A 1980s trend was the backpack-style handbag that this designer made in a type of nylon she called Pocone

MAN-AGRAMS $200: A great playwright, but:
I AM A WEAKISH SPELLER

SCIENCE $400: A long pole helps a tightrope walker by increasing this tendency of a body to stay at rest
(Ellen: What is balance?)

SCIENCE $800: Kids on a seesaw instinctively calculate this, the tendency of a force to produce rotation around an axis
(Emily: What is centrifugal force?)
...
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SCIENCE $1000: Self-healing like the T-1000, the "terminator" type of this macromolecule compound was discovered in 2013

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ellen: $6,400
Hans: $5,600
Emily: $1,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players
Posts: 3616
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm
Contact:

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:31 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL SPORTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Established in 1903, this European event was originally touted in a newspaper printed on yellow paper

Ellen Corrigan: 16800+0=16800 (3X = $40,000)
Hans Huizing: 13000-8937=4063
Emily DeArdo: 1800+0=1800

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
Tour de France (Hans: wor)

Daily Doubles
Hans: 3800+1800
Emily: 2200-1200
Hans: 8400+3000

Coryats
Ellen: 16800
Hans: 10200
Emily: 3000

Combined: 30,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Carpe Diem
Boardeh
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:27 am
Location: LAND OF LINCOLN

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Carpe Diem » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:19 pm

Same FJ! category and correct response as this show that aired three years ago yesterday.

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1986
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:31 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Same FJ! category and correct response as this show that aired three years ago yesterday.
I don't remember if I got that one right (though they spotted us a Frenchman and a winning time that was absurdly long), but I struggled with this one for a good 20 seconds. The date didn't ring a bell, so I tried to figure out why they mentioned the 'yellow' and it finally clicked.

A $0 FJ wager (and you end up getting it right)? I'm not a fan but if you absolutely hate the category, sure whatever. TBH I was so annoyed with Hans' DD wager that I didn't care.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Abraxas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Abraxas » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:33 pm

Congrats to Ellen on her third win. I had 48 correct responses including these triple stumpers: William Shakespeare, inertia, torque, George H.W. Bush, Aberdeen, and Dublin. I also got FJ.

User avatar
grindcore
Some Guy
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:38 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by grindcore » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:38 pm

Today's clue said it was established in 1903. The clue from three years ago said that 2013 was its 100th anniversary. Huh.

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1986
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:40 pm

grindcore wrote:Today's clue said it was established in 1903. The clue from three years ago said that 2013 was its 100th anniversary. Huh.
It said it was the 100th running. It was cancelled during the World Wars.

User avatar
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1790
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 am
Location: Miami

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skullturf » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:00 pm

When the category was revealed, I said something like "Well, the two obvious precalls are the Tour de France and the FIFA World Cup."

I knew about the yellow jersey, and I knew the event started in the early 1900s, so that was enough to make me stick with my first precall.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9088
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:14 pm

I got it then and I got it today. It did take me some time as 1903 got the World Series stuck in my head until the yellow TOM clicked in.

The challengers had great stories tonight.

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1531
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:26 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:A $0 FJ wager (and you end up getting it right)? I'm not a fan but if you absolutely hate the category, sure whatever. TBH I was so annoyed with Hans' DD wager that I didn't care.
If you're not confident with the category, a zero wager is infinitely better than some useless round number. At least it has a solid strategic base. But that's also the problem with basing a wager solely on the category instead of the situation, we all know the clues run the gamut of difficulty regardless of topic. Also remember the sports question where a lady wagered zero and the clue referenced her alma mater's stadium!

Hans probably should have had the lead going into FJ, not that it would have made a difference. He left a ton on the table in the first round in a simple category and then the penultimate clue disaster. The contestants also went to the top of the last category with a DD uncovered, yuck.

But in the end the champ won because she had a sole solve in FJ and the fact that she stayed clam while the challengers did not.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9088
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:35 pm

Golf wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:A $0 FJ wager (and you end up getting it right)? I'm not a fan but if you absolutely hate the category, sure whatever. TBH I was so annoyed with Hans' DD wager that I didn't care.
If you're not confident with the category, a zero wager is infinitely better than some useless round number. At least it has a solid strategic base. But that's also the problem with basing a wager solely on the category instead of the situation, we all know the clues run the gamut of difficulty regardless of topic. Also remember the sports question where a lady wagered zero and the clue referenced her alma mater's stadium!

Hans probably should have had the lead going into FJ, not that it would have made a difference. He left a ton on the table in the first round in a simple category and then the penultimate clue disaster. The contestants also went to the top of the last category with a DD uncovered, yuck.

But in the end the champ won because she had a sole solve in FJ and the fact that she stayed clam while the challengers did not.
With third shut out, a zero bet meant she only had to worry about one player. So it wasn't a bad bet if you hate the category. Not sure if I'd do it, but it worked for her.

I didn't get Hans' DD bet at the end. He had exactly half her total and one clue left. But if he is wrong on the DD, he can't catch up on the last clue. If you are going to risk the game on the DD, you might as well bet it all. And this would not be a time to hold back a few bucks so you can play FJ. Double up and it is a tie with one clue left.

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 853
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:30 pm
Location: Harwich, MA

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nlw44 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:46 pm

Golf wrote: But in the end the champ won because she had a sole solve in FJ and the fact that she stayed clam while the challengers did not.
Don't think it was sole solve; the third place player also got it right, correct?
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2772
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:00 pm

Coryat: $40,800
51 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: inertia, torque, James K. Polk (DD), Aberdeen, Art Spiegelman

In a game where virtually everything went my way, it figures that I literally wrote down my response to FJ! before the clue was revealed. Given the time of year, it was a virtual guarantee. Future contestants, pay close attention to what will be happening around your airdate. J! loves this kind of stuff.

Embarrassing non-gets were Ford for Bush 41 (I thought I remembered that he had served in Congress, but I went with the one I was sure about), not thinking of DMB (I thought they were going for a famous South African in whose honor the band was named, like The de Klerks or Why Even Botha or something), and not knowing where the wide, wide Sargasso sea is located.

I had never heard of Art Spiegelman before last Friday's LL question about him. That sort of thing seems to happen a lot.

Putting the Shakespeare clue at the top of the Man-agrams clue was bad form. It was the one clue in the category where it wasn't clear which words were part of the anagram. If you want to encourage us to take categories from the top down, TPTB, make it worth our while.

Emily reminded me of Amy Adams's character in Catch Me If You Can.
nlw44 wrote:
Golf wrote: But in the end the champ won because she had a sole solve in FJ and the fact that she stayed clam while the challengers did not.
Don't think it was sole solve; the third place player also got it right, correct?
Correct. It was the sole solve among players with a realistic shot to win the game.
Sprinkles are for winners.

User avatar
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1790
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 am
Location: Miami

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skullturf » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:21 pm

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Embarrassing non-gets were Ford for Bush 41 (I thought I remembered that he had served in Congress, but I went with the one I was sure about)
I very hesitatingly said LBJ for that one, but wouldn't have rung in on the show.

User avatar
bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5427
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:38 pm

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Putting the Shakespeare clue at the top of the Man-agrams clue was bad form. It was the one clue in the category where it wasn't clear which words were part of the anagram. If you want to encourage us to take categories from the top down, TPTB, make it worth our while.
Hate to disagree, but that was an absolute gimme, as they delineated the clue part from the anagram part with a colon. And seeing as they had just had a conversation about Hamlet...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 836
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:09 pm
Location: Cynthiana, KY

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:31 pm

42 right.

Science (3), Music (4), Languages (5), Man-agrams (5), Double UVW (3), Fashion (2)
Entertainment (3), Put It There (5), Dickens (4), Pres-pourri (3), Mouse (2), Mean (3)

Lach Trash: inertia, William Shakespeare, torque, Aberdeen, Dublin; DD: James Polk

Instaget FJ.

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1359
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Johnblue » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:46 pm

Instaget FJ! I wasn't paying full attention tonight but there did seem to be a few TS's tonight. It's nice to see a 3 day champ!

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2772
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:49 pm

Anyone else respond to that "after the tee and the fairway" clue with something like my "the frickin' bunker"? (I know, I know. Doesn't rhyme with "mean.")
bpmod wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Putting the Shakespeare clue at the top of the Man-agrams clue was bad form. It was the one clue in the category where it wasn't clear which words were part of the anagram. If you want to encourage us to take categories from the top down, TPTB, make it worth our while.
Hate to disagree, but that was an absolute gimme, as they delineated the clue part from the anagram part with a colon. And seeing as they had just had a conversation about Hamlet...

Brian
I'm almost certain there wasn't. In fact, I think there was a comma, but it came a few words before the anagram. I deleted the episode, though, so I can't say for sure.
Sprinkles are for winners.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3183
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:52 pm

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Anyone else respond to that "after the tee and the fairway" clue with something like my "the frickin' bunker"? (I know, I know. Doesn't rhyme with "mean.")
bpmod wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Putting the Shakespeare clue at the top of the Man-agrams clue was bad form. It was the one clue in the category where it wasn't clear which words were part of the anagram. If you want to encourage us to take categories from the top down, TPTB, make it worth our while.
Hate to disagree, but that was an absolute gimme, as they delineated the clue part from the anagram part with a colon. And seeing as they had just had a conversation about Hamlet...

Brian
I'm almost certain there wasn't. In fact, I think there was a comma, but it came a few words before the anagram. I deleted the episode, though, so I can't say for sure.
I didn't, so I can: Brian is correct.

Post Reply