Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Monday, July 18, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Yellow -> yellow jacket -> Tour de France. Woo hoo, four in a row for me!
Yellow jersey, but hey, whatever. ;)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Yellow -> yellow jacket -> Tour de France. Woo hoo, four in a row for me!
Yellow jersey, but hey, whatever. ;)
If the Tour de France involved yellow jackets it'd be hella more interesting.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Gave 'angular momentum' for torque, I believe that would've been ruled acceptable, judges?

Instaget FJ then spent 29s wondering whether they meant the Monaco Grand Prix instead?! :o :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT "commander in chief" at $400?
The president's first and foremost responsibility and duty is as the commander-in-chief of the armed forces.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

goatman wrote:Gave 'angular momentum' for torque, I believe that would've been ruled acceptable, judges?
I'd take it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT "commander in chief" at $400?
The president's first and foremost responsibility and duty is as the commander-in-chief of the armed forces.
Which is why, from criticisms I've read of Trump, they say they're "terrified to give him the nuclear launch codes". Not "I'm terrified of what he'll do to the economy" or "I'm terrified of what he'll do to civil rights" but the one I hear most often is the nukes because that's their biggest responsibility.

(Note: I'm not meaning this to be a political post, I just see quotes about handling the nuclear weapons levelled at Trump more. Not commenting at all if those fears are justified or not as that's your job as an informed voter to decide. But this is a Jeopardy! board not a politics board. Merely attempted to use examples that I felt most people would have seen for an accessible example.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

goatman wrote:Gave 'angular momentum' for torque, I believe that would've been ruled acceptable, judges?
It's a completely different physical quantity, with different units from torque.

However, I don't recall the exact clue, so I can't say definitively whether there was ambiguity in its statement.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I finally got to watch this, as I had been sidetracked into doing something totally unexpected Monday evening. Torque is the change in angular momentum per unit of time.

Before her lung transplants, Emily played for the College Bowl team at Capital University. While she was at Capital, her team upset the much larger university that's also in Columbus.
arekp01
Contributor

Post by arekp01 »

I'm sure the jboard official stance on what constitutes a rhyming word is out there, but a three syllable word like "Aberdeen" just doesn't strike me as a word rhyming with "mean". I guess they made up for it wither a relatively easy clue, but I wonder if that's what made it a TS.

I always thought Bush was in the Senate, but I guess I was confusing him with his dad. There can't be too many public careers out there that have spanned legislative, diplomatic, intelligence, and executive (and I suppose military as well). Very impressive!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

arekp01 wrote:I'm sure the jboard official stance on what constitutes a rhyming word is out there, but a three syllable word like "Aberdeen" just doesn't strike me as a word rhyming with "mean". I guess they made up for it wither a relatively easy clue, but I wonder if that's what made it a TS.
A polysyllabic word that ends with the same sounds as a monosyllabic word counts as a rhyme if its final syllable is stressed. Don't "green" and "submarine" rhyme in "Yellow Submarine"?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:
arekp01 wrote:I'm sure the jboard official stance on what constitutes a rhyming word is out there, but a three syllable word like "Aberdeen" just doesn't strike me as a word rhyming with "mean". I guess they made up for it wither a relatively easy clue, but I wonder if that's what made it a TS.
A polysyllabic word that ends with the same sounds as a monosyllabic word counts as a rhyme if its final syllable is stressed. Don't "green" and "submarine" rhyme in "Yellow Submarine"?
So "fracked" and "extract" would rhyme, but "fracked" and "extract" don't?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Right.

I once saw a commercial that rhymed "classics" with "wicks," and I was like, "No, no, you can't do that."
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Right.

I once saw a commercial that rhymed "classics" with "wicks," and I was like, "No, no, you can't do that."
Should have been a pickle commercial... ;)
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

davey wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Right.

Should have been a pickle commercial... ;)
Great, now I want to ride a motorcycle.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

We had a storm come through and it knocked out my power. So no Jeopardy for me. My first missed show in a very long time! Boo-hoo..
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:I once saw a commercial that rhymed "classics" with "wicks," and I was like, "No, no, you can't do that."
Fake candles have exquisite glass wicks
So you can sit and read the classics.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:
seaborgium wrote:I once saw a commercial that rhymed "classics" with "wicks," and I was like, "No, no, you can't do that."
I should have mentioned it was a verb.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
A book cover made of dried grass wicks
Some moisture away from the classics.

You only get one more nitpick, so make it count.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
A book cover made of dried grass wicks
Some moisture away from the classics.

You only get one more nitpick, so make it count.
None of those phrasings make an unstressed "wicks" sound natural.