Wednesday, July 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OrangeSAM »

zhzhzh wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
alietr wrote:I kept wondering if Zlatan was purposely trying to sound bored. He just had an odd demeanor.
I got the same vibe. I'm sure we're both mistaken and he was just concentrating. But it seemed a little like he didn't want to be there and his mom was making him.
Ha, nah I was just incredibly frustrated with the buzzer. I kept ringing in way too early. That plus the fact that the others got ahead so quickly totally sapped my confidence. Congrats to them both though, I was outplayed and really too nervous.
Thanks for straightening that out. You were pitted against two strong players. And welcome to J!Board!
OCSam
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

zhzhzh wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
alietr wrote:I kept wondering if Zlatan was purposely trying to sound bored. He just had an odd demeanor.
I got the same vibe. I'm sure we're both mistaken and he was just concentrating. But it seemed a little like he didn't want to be there and his mom was making him.
Ha, nah I was just incredibly frustrated with the buzzer. I kept ringing in way too early. That plus the fact that the others got ahead so quickly totally sapped my confidence. Congrats to them both though, I was outplayed and really too nervous.
Hey, thanks for checking in. It's always fun to get the behind-the-scenes scoop. Sounds like a rough experience. I hope it's turning into a good memory as you go through the stages of Jeopardy! grief.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

How very amusing. I went to high school with Zlatan and believe we even graduated the same year. I was on the Quiz Bowl team and he wasn't, and I don't think he had any interest in the subject at the time. However, I was hardly any good at trivia then, either.

Anywho, another kind board member allowed me to watch this game. Got to record my scores for a change.

28R/1W
Coryat-$22,800
LT-Honus Wagner, Gone with the Wind, Beezus, penny
DD-1/3
FJ-Miss
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:0/5 in England/Scotland/Wales. I guessed and AS USUAL, was wrong on all 5. DO YOU SEE WHY I HATE GUESSING?!?
Why should it be a concern for you? Most viewers don't mind guessing. Boardies are different as the vast majority of us have either been on the show or are trying to get on. For those of us trying to get on, yeah, we want to be frugal with our guesses as they can be costly to our Coryats. But you have no intention of going on J! So if you guess and get it wrong, why does it matter? If you don't guess, why does it matter. You don't need to track your Coryats if you're not practicing to get on. Trust me, you'll save yourself developing an ulcer at 30 if you stop worrying about your score and stop comparing yourself to other boardies.

To reword Yoda: "Guess or guess not. There is no bitch."
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey

Post by davey »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:My vague idea (with uncertain letters in parentheses) was Ca(e)rna(r)von. I wonder if someone who omitted the second r could have had a case to be ruled correct - the Earl himself likely spoke a non-rhotic dialect, and the British documentary narrators who first informed me of his name many years ago undoubtedly did. On the other hand, I cannot imagine a favorable ruling for someone who omitted the first r, which is technically just as justifiable.
I can. If you properly put the emphasis on the second syllable, even without a British accent it may come out close to Cun-AR-vun, to my ear.
I hesitated with this FJ only because I was surprised they would use a response with such spelling traps, and probably a word many have not heard pronounced ...I thought, am I misremembering, was it Cunard?? Still I stuck with the right Lord.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:0/5 in England/Scotland/Wales. I guessed and AS USUAL, was wrong on all 5. DO YOU SEE WHY I HATE GUESSING?!?
Why should it be a concern for you? Most viewers don't mind guessing. Boardies are different as the vast majority of us have either been on the show or are trying to get on. For those of us trying to get on, yeah, we want to be frugal with our guesses as they can be costly to our Coryats. But you have no intention of going on J! So if you guess and get it wrong, why does it matter? If you don't guess, why does it matter. You don't need to track your Coryats if you're not practicing to get on. Trust me, you'll save yourself developing an ulcer at 30 if you stop worrying about your score and stop comparing yourself to other boardies.
I don't track my Coryats anymore, and I don't worry about how I perform relative to other boardies. It's obvious I'm not suited for the show.

That still doesn't change the fact that I still absolutely HATE to guess in any situation because I have such an abysmal track record with it, and it infuriates me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:That still doesn't change the fact that I still absolutely HATE to guess in any situation because I have such an abysmal track record with it, and it infuriates me.
Here's my recommendation. Definitely forget Coryat. But keep track of just your guesses for a month when J! starts up again. When you don't know the correct response, take a stab at it. Then make a hatch mark in either the :mrgreen: or :( column. If the results surprise you, Google the terms "selection bias" and "confirmation bias".
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:That still doesn't change the fact that I still absolutely HATE to guess in any situation because I have such an abysmal track record with it, and it infuriates me.
I would start by figuring out why that infuriates you. If you can figure that out, you can then figure out how to make it stop infuriating you. Once it no longer infuriates you, you can have fun knowing the outcome is not important. It might take help (professional or otherwise) to make those first two steps. Do not be afraid to ask for it and/or take it when offered.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Sage on the Hudson

Any resemblance to the Statue of Liberty is purely COIN-cidental

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

countyguy wrote:Lord Carnavaron for FJ :oops:
There's no way you'd have passed muster with the judges with that.

But returning to more important matters, the 1946 Roosevelt dime was preceded by one with Lady Liberty on the obverse?

Have the writers never seen the coin? While something of a misnomer, it's still called the "Mercury" dime for a reason:

http://www.coincommunity.com/us_dimes/i ... y-dime.jpg
davey

Re: Any resemblance to the Statue of Liberty is purely COIN-cidental

Post by davey »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:

But returning to more important matters, the 1946 Roosevelt dime was preceded by one with Lady Liberty on the obverse?

Have the writers never seen the coin? While something of a misnomer, it's still called the "Mercury" dime for a reason:

http://www.coincommunity.com/us_dimes/i ... y-dime.jpg
And it's also called the Winged Liberty Head dime for an even better reason-
http://cointrackers.com/Mercury-Head-Dime.php
brick

Post by brick »

I ran into my 13 year old neighbor and she asked me if I had been watching Jeopardy. I told her I had. She got really excited and said, "So you've been watching
Pranjal?! He's AMAZING!" She was just back from a visit with her grandmother in Florida and watched every night with her, and thought Pranjal was a very exciting player. I liked him a lot too. I explained to her what the shooting schedule is like, and how he was probably getting a little tired and he was starting to make little mistakes when he lost. I'll have to invite her over for the TOC.

We gotta recruit young viewers if we want the show to continue! :D
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

brick wrote:I ran into my 13 year old neighbor and she asked me if I had been watching Jeopardy. I told her I had. She got really excited and said, "So you've been watching
Pranjal?! He's AMAZING!" She was just back from a visit with her grandmother in Florida and watched every night with her, and thought Pranjal was a very exciting player. I liked him a lot too. I explained to her what the shooting schedule is like, and how he was probably getting a little tired and he was starting to make little mistakes when he lost. I'll have to invite her over for the TOC.

We gotta recruit young viewers if we want the show to continue! :D
Interesting. I recall having zero interest in Jeopardy as a teen. Even when I started doing Quiz Bowl in high school, I didn't care. I probably would have only gotten into the show in my mid 20s, when I fully accepted that I would always love trivia.

I wonder how it is for most forum members here?

On the flip side, I see a lot of people who won on Jeopardy during a Kids' or Teen Week get brought back into their 20s and clearly not be into trivia anymore, and/or perform worse than I would.

Also, I should note that casual viewers are more affected by super-champions and personalities than we are. My mother was really into the show when Matt Jackson was champion. When he lost, she stopped watching regularly.