Friday, July 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This Catholic university gets its name from the Latin for “new” & “house” & was in the news in Spring 2016

Barbra Resnick: 5800-5601=199
Jim Lebbos: 3600-2777=823
Courtney Paulson: 11400+300=11700 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Villanova (Barbra & Jim – Notre Dame)

Daily Doubles
Barbra: 3200-2000
Barbra: 2800-100
Jim: 6600-3000

Coryats
Barbra: 8800
Jim: 6600
Courtney: 11400

Combined: 26,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Re: Friday, July 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by floridagator »

Congratulations to new champ Courtney. As a statistics Ph.D. candidate, we'll be watching to see if she brings any more sophistication to her betting than the average player.

That stand & stare fest at the end of DJ was truly awful.

FJ was instaget for me knowing nova=new and it took only a split second to link that to a college.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

floridagator wrote:Congratulations to new champ Courtney. As a statistics Ph.D. candidate, we'll be watching to see if she brings any more sophistication to her betting than the average player.

That stand & stare fest at the end of DJ was truly awful.

FJ was instaget for me knowing nova=new and it took only a split second to link that to a college.
To be fair, I thought the DJ board was pretty tough.

Easy FJ once you put 2 and 2 together.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

A DD in the 200 box!? When is the last time that happened? Unlike FJ, the Latin didn't help, but made sense after I guessed the right...word.

"This Show Boat author" should never be a TS.

FJ would've been instaget with just the Latin, or just the 'spring 2016' bit. I was hoping for 3/3, but I guess they're not college basketball fans.

Bring on the SHC.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Courtney on her win. I had 48 correct responses including these triple stumpers: George Eliot, Ceurnavaca, St. Vincent de Paul, Edna Ferber, $400,000; J-E-H, Peter Frampton, Elton John, and USS Missouri. I also got the missed Daily Doubles of chrysanthemum, verb, and Potemkin, and I got FJ.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

the woman author, anne mccaffrey, was one of the greatest science fiction writers of all time. she was one of only five women to have been named as a "lifetime grandmaster" by the science fiction writers of america.
her landmark series of "dragonrider" novels took place on a particular planet, which long ago had lost contact with earth. although it was identified by name in the first novel, the origin of the name was not disclosed until the seventh or eight novel in the series, which was (of course!) a prequel.
many centuries before the time of the first novel, when first discovered (and abandoned) by a preliminary exploration team from earth, it was described as "Planet Earthlike - Resources Negligible." perhaps some of you might be able to figure out the name from that...
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Villa means town or city, not house in Latin, though. I figured out FJ anyway, but I'm surprised a clue with an error that big was passed on without being edited.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

alan tiger wrote:the woman author, anne mccaffrey, was one of the greatest science fiction writers of all time. she was one of only five women to have been named as a "lifetime grandmaster" by the science fiction writers of america.
her landmark series of "dragonrider" novels took place on a particular planet, which long ago had lost contact with earth. although it was identified by name in the first novel, the origin of the name was not disclosed until the seventh or eight novel in the series, which was (of course!) a prequel.
many centuries before the time of the first novel, when first discovered (and abandoned) by a preliminary exploration team from earth, it was described as "Planet Earthlike - Resources Negligible." perhaps some of you might be able to figure out the name from that...
Or perhaps, you know, from having read most of the books.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 right.

TV (3), Code (3), Women (2), Grill (1), "C-U" (2), September (3)
Animal (1), Spell (3), Beatle (5), Battle (2), Word (2), Ireland (3)

Lach Trash: Peter Frampton, Elton John; DD: Potemkin

Instaget FJ once I saw the Latin for "new" portion.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Villa means town or city, not house in Latin, though. I figured out FJ anyway, but I'm surprised a clue with an error that big was passed on without being edited.
It might also mean town (I don't know), but when I plugged "villa" into the five Latin-English dicionaries in this link (http://www.lexilogos.com/english/latin_dictionary.htm), they all came up with the meaning of a country house (= English word villa). Funnily enough, one of the dictionaries is from Notre Dame. (EDIT: Google gives "town" as the primary meaning but villa as an alternative one.)

I got stumped by the word order initially (Nova Scotia? Nova what?), but it clicked immediately when I switched the order around.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I'm beginning to think they've been putting a Potemkin question in the in-person test to weed out anyone who might know it, whether Battleship or village.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

What a way to end the season. To paraphrase AP, I'd rate this episode a Subaru Impreza with 180,000 miles and a temperamental air conditioning system. All those stand-and-stares and a 1/3 FJ.
I've never seen a DD in the top box, other than in the mobile game. I thought it was hilarious and eerie that there was a discussion of top-row DD's on the LL forum today.
Bring on the SHC!
Hoping for a third lap
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Grats Courtney, nice job and good pull on "Catholic U meaning new house"! Instaget FJ, 47R; LT: George Elliot (Mill on the Floss); Renegades of PERN (Dragonriders series of same name, Anne McCaffrey, first female Hugo & Nebula award winner!); Show Boat >>>Edna Ferber(!) :o ; Book and Abbey of KELLS (Stock J!); Mighty MO = ...MO...; get on Dreadnought for run on battleships with get on MDD "Potemkin"; NHO Molly Malone, shame on me! Check this out, the "Tart with a Cart" gets groped by drunks, go figure, from the wiki:
"Molly Malone" (also known as "Cockles and Mussels" or "In Dublin's Fair City") is a popular song, set in Dublin, Ireland, which has become the unofficial anthem of Dublin City.

The Molly Malone statue in Grafton Street was unveiled by then Lord Mayor of Dublin, Alderman Ben Briscoe during the 1988 Dublin Millennium celebrations, declaring 13 June as Molly Malone Day. The statue was presented to the city by Jury's Hotel Group to mark the Millennium.

Since 18 July 2014, it has been relocated to Suffolk Street, in front of the Tourist Information Office, in order to make way for Luas track-laying work to be completed at the old location. Due to the increase in touristy foot traffic, and their penchant for being "handsy", the statue's cleavage has been groped repeatedly recently. Enough so that its bronze hue has begun to wear off on the bosom.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Not sure I've ever seen a DD in the top box before. Or, for that matter, contestants going 0/3 on 3 fairly easy to moderate difficulty DDs.
xxaaaxx wrote:
"This Show Boat author" should never be a TS.
To be fair, that was the only TS (or clue) in the category I didn't get. The TS on George Eliot and Pern were more surprising. Funny, I had five LT this game (Pern, George Eliot, all 3 missed DDs), and I think that might be fewer than the average board member.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

400K a year. That will be a pay cut for one of the candidates.

Good variety of trash to pick up on the game between the ships and authors.

When COLLEGES & UNIVERSTIES wash shown as the category I was disappointed as I held out hope for either sports or movies based on what was not in the 12 categories of the previous rounds.

The FJ! clue turned out to have a bit of sports to it and it helped to insure I had done the right thing my translating of the Latin. That makes up for the Amadeus one I blew earlier in the season.

Villanova game me my 11th in a row right to close the season since that Civil War Missouri miss. It's very rare I get to check the pride box on the weekly poll in consecutive weeks.

September 12 will be the start of S33 and the six weeks of reruns will fly by thanks to the fun of the SHC to keep the board active.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

goatman wrote:Grats Courtney, nice job and good pull on "Catholic U meaning new house"! Instaget FJ, 47R; LT: George Elliot (Mill on the Floss); Renegades of PERN (Dragonriders series of same name, Anne McCaffrey, first female Hugo & Nebula award winner!); Show Boat >>>Edna Ferber(!) :o ; Book and Abbey of KELLS (Stock J!); Mighty MO = ...MO...; get on Dreadnought for run on battleships with get on MDD "Potemkin"; NHO Molly Malone, shame on me! Check this out, the "Tart with a Cart" gets groped by drunks, go figure, from the wiki:
"Molly Malone" (also known as "Cockles and Mussels" or "In Dublin's Fair City") is a popular song, set in Dublin, Ireland, which has become the unofficial anthem of Dublin City.

The Molly Malone statue in Grafton Street was unveiled by then Lord Mayor of Dublin, Alderman Ben Briscoe during the 1988 Dublin Millennium celebrations, declaring 13 June as Molly Malone Day. The statue was presented to the city by Jury's Hotel Group to mark the Millennium.

Since 18 July 2014, it has been relocated to Suffolk Street, in front of the Tourist Information Office, in order to make way for Luas track-laying work to be completed at the old location. Due to the increase in touristy foot traffic, and their penchant for being "handsy", the statue's cleavage has been groped repeatedly recently. Enough so that its bronze hue has begun to wear off on the bosom.

I wasn't too surprised at the TS on Molly Malone; Dubliners' affectionate names for their statues are well-known in Ireland and some of the UK, but not really so much beyond there. Though I had thought the song might have given a hint.

Other nicknames include (be warned; the Irish are not coy about using savoury or even offensive language - it's part of our culture):

Molly Malone: also known as the flirt in the skirt or the trollop with the scallop
James Joyce: the prick with the stick
Oscar Wilde: the queer with the leer
The (now-moved) statue and fountain of Anna Livia (spirit of the River Liffey): the floozie in the Jacuzzi, or the whore [pronounced whoo-er] in the sewer
The new Spire of Light: the stiletto in the ghetto, or the stiffy at the Liffey

There are others. In the perhaps-unlikely event of Jeopardy! choosing to reference more of Dublin's famous status, this page, complete with photos, could be useful for research ;)
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

pauerpoint wrote:
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Villa means town or city, not house in Latin, though. I figured out FJ anyway, but I'm surprised a clue with an error that big was passed on without being edited.
It might also mean town (I don't know), but when I plugged "villa" into the five Latin-English dicionaries in this link (http://www.lexilogos.com/english/latin_dictionary.htm), they all came up with the meaning of a country house (= English word villa). Funnily enough, one of the dictionaries is from Notre Dame. (EDIT: Google gives "town" as the primary meaning but villa as an alternative one.)

I got stumped by the word order initially (Nova Scotia? Nova what?), but it clicked immediately when I switched the order around.
Hi all -

Yeah, the order they mentioned those Latin roots had me going for a second, then playing (quickly) with the order and seeing Spring 2016------- well, I knew then it was my Alma Mater! :D Yup, I'm a Wildcat, graduating in - well, ah, guess that will have to remain a secret.

Very cool FJ indeed!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Knew Molly Malone from Clockwork Orange. Prouder of that get (but only barely) than Dreadnought.

Villanova is Matt Szczur's alma mater. It's why he was brought in for Schwarber opening night after the final: Maddon wanted to take advantage of his adrenaline. It paid off; he got a 3 run RBI double that day and a solo HR the next.

And yes, that's the only reason I remember Villanova. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)