2016 Summer Hiatus Challenge - Introduction, Rules, and Wildcard Eligibility

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

2016 Summer Hiatus Challenge - Introduction, Rules, and Wildcard Eligibility

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Welcome to what I believe is the 12th edition of the Summer Hiatus Challenge! Once again, I'd like to thank DadOfTwins for being the original devisor and host of this for everyone. I hope that we can do even half of as good of a job as he did.

Anyway, on to the rules (Stolen almost verbatim from the 2015 rules. )

Format: Each day there will be two categories of Jeopardy-style clues posted. A round consists of six days, Monday through Saturday. We'll usually post Saturday's clues on Friday though, so you can get to them early if you have a busy weekend. The highest total score earned by a player not already eligible for the TOC wins the round and advances to the Tournament of Champions.

Time Limits: Players are asked to post responses within 48 hours of the initial posting of that day's clues. The week will officially close for Weekly Winner purposes Sunday at 11:59 PM PDT after Day 6 is posted. Missed days can be made up later for total points purposes provided the player has not already seen the clues and correct responses. Players who are also members of the writing team receive full points if their material is used, but no writer will be used more than once per round or four times total.

Scoring: Correct answers will be worth the stated point value of the clue. Incorrect answers will be penalized based on the clue's position in the category. "Single Jeopardy" clues will be worth 2-4-6-8-10, and "Double Jeopardy" clues will be worth 3-6-9-12-15. Incorrect answers are scored (-1, -2, -3, -4, -5) in both categories. Clues left unanswered (Clams) are worth 0.

Response Format: Using question form is permissible, but not mandatory.

Acceptable Responses: SHC policy is "We want to give you points." Give us a good reason we can justify, and you get points. Get close enough on spelling to convince us you know what you're talking about (the Vilnuis Rule). Re: first & last names/leading articles/country names & former names/etc., give us enough information so that we know you know what's going on in the clue. That said, we want to give you points, but we need to know for sure that you are claiming them. So answers judged to be "equivocating" will be scored as clams. Basically, show us in your response that if you were on The Show and faced with the text of the clue, you would have hit your buzzer. If your equivocation is based on a flaw in the clue itself, please explain in the Instant Replay thread. Your comments will contribute to the consideration of whether the clue needs to be replaced.

Instant Replay Thread: Every week we'll have a thread dedicated to discussing that week's clues. This includes potential flaws in the clues, but also general clue-related chit-chat. Trash-talking is encouraged. But be careful, the thread is full of spoilers so do not look at it if that day's clues have been posted and you have not yet responded.

Replacement Clues: If you give an response we don't anticipate, feel free to make your case in the "Instant Replay" thread. We will review any responses ruled incorrect to make sure they are actually, objectively wrong. If there is a fatal flaw with a clue (which may include going unanswered by the entire field), a replacement clue will be offered to players who miss out on the points in the defective clue. What constitutes a "fatal flaw" is up to us to decide case-by-case, with the help of players and judges who weigh in during the "Instant Replay." Any player who managed to correctly respond to a flawed clue will keep his or her points and does not have to play the replacement clue.

Tournament of Champions: Each week's winner advances to the Tournament of Champions, scheduled for the first week of the Jeopardy TV season. Also automatically advancing are past SHC Champions (TomKBaltimoreBoy, schliemann, OldSchoolChamp, DJDaveMick, and lemonsun) and Wild Card winners. The winner of the Tournament of Champions wins the SHC and receives a lifetime exemption into future SHC TOC's.

Toc Wild Cards: Wild Card entries to the Tournament of Champions are based on total points earned during the SHC. One goes to the high-scoring College player (under age 23 AND not holding a bachelor's degree)*. One goes to the high-scoring Rookie (player who played fewer than 6 total SHC days in past games). One goes to the high-scoring "About To Be" Jeopardy champion (person who has never appeared on the Show). Three additional Wild Card slots will be awarded to the highest-scoring players not already in the TOC.
Players should indicate ALL of the Wild Card categories for which they are eligible.
Critical Mass Rule -- In order to justify awarding a Wild Card, at least 5 players must compete for it for at least 30 SHC game days. If a Wild Card competition fails to reach critical mass, that category will be dropped and an additional Wild Card will be awarded based on Total Points.
*In the event that 5 or more College Wild Card players are under 18 and not holding a high school diploma, an additional Wild Card berth will be awarded for a Kids/Teens Champion.
*We are also open to suggestions for other Wild Card categories.

Cheating: DON'T. Just don't. The only permissible resource is your own noggin. No google, no asking friends, no collaborating with other players. Players caught cheating will be removed from the game and, if past precedent is any indication, shamed and ostracized by the community. Since the only prizes are your personal pride and the respect of your peers, cheating definitely costs you the latter and we have a hard time imagining you garnering much of the former. So don't.

Paucle Memorial Award for Outstanding Writing: Paucle wrote many great categories over the years. In his memory, we are instituting this award. The mechanics of the award will go like this: At the end of each week, we will have a poll to select the favorite user-submitted category for that week. At the end of the SHC, all the weekly winners will advance to a final poll. The winner of this poll will win the Paucle Memorial Award for Outstanding Writing.

If we are missing something, post it below. We'll include posting instructions in the first game thread.

If you wish to declare eligibility for a Wild Card, please do so in this thread.

Your SHC 2016 team is rjaguar3, and OntarioQuizzer. Clues written by an SHC player will be credited to that player. Any unmarked clue/category are written by us.

SHC 2016 starts this Monday, August 1. We'll see you then. Good luck and have fun.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Re: 2016 Summer Hiatus Challenge - Introduction, Rules, and Wildcard Eligibility

Post by Lumosityfan »

Eligible for College! Thanks so much for continuing this wonderful tradition!
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: 2016 Summer Hiatus Challenge - Introduction, Rules, and Wildcard Eligibility

Post by dhkendall »

Is this where we post our eligibilities (if so ATB here (again! Sigh.)?

Looking forward to an OQ run SHC. Definitely the boardie that is the most worthy to fill DoT's shoes IMHO.

Look forward to another season of astounding mediocrity on my part!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

ATB.

Thanks for hosting.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

ATB
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

Eligible for teen/college, not sure if I'm ATB by its intention, though I am by its definition
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

ATB (still).
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

ATB again
Total game show career losings = $171,522
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Teen, College
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Yay!

ATB, eternally.
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

Can there be a special Senior wild card? :P
coachgold
Valued Contributor

Post by coachgold »

It doesn't seem like there's a prerequisite for joining in on this (hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here), so I'd love to have a go. If I've understood everything correctly I'd be eligible for the College (not Teen), Rookie, and ATB wild cards unless participation in College or Rookie precludes ATB.

This seems like a lot of hard work, so echoing the sentiments of others who have thanked you for running this event :)
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

ATB. Trying to finish in the top 50 this time, which will be very unlikely.
Hoping for a third lap
Leander

Post by Leander »

ATB for me.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

What's ATB? I'm generally on Hiatus during SHC. Will give it a shot this year!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

SBurrus wrote:Can there be a special Senior wild card? :P
If rjaguar is OK with this and we get 5, I say "aye" for a "Senior" 50+ category.
Andy Saunders
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

geolawyerman wrote:Eligible for teen/college, not sure if I'm ATB by its intention, though I am by its definition
Please PM me with your situation.
Andy Saunders
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

doihavetoreally wrote:What's ATB? I'm generally on Hiatus during SHC. Will give it a shot this year!
DoT used it as "About to Be (a contestant)".

If you haven't been on the show: you're eligible for this.
Andy Saunders
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

New to SHC so eligible for Rookie WC.
Thanks rjaguar3 and OntarioQuizzer (and other writers)!
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Eligible for Rookie, ATB. Thanks.