2016 Summer Hiatus Challenge - Round 1 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

2016 Summer Hiatus Challenge - Round 1 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by rjaguar3 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:57 am

You know what you're doing. Have at it.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: 2016 Summer Hiatus Challenge - Round 1 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:48 am

I would think the Potemkin clue might've been harder were it not on Friday's show ... (I instaget it on Friday so I probably would have got it today without the recent reminder)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:49 am

Shoutouts to missed DDs. Luckily my memory of the TOC is pretty fresh so I don't have to rewatch that one for the coming weeks :3

NHO Red Wheelbarrow, don't ever watch film, let alone foreign film, so it was tough category for me. I think I can count the number of foreign films I've watched on one hand. Hopefully we get Science or Chess or Super Smash Bros. Melee Players categories on Tuesday.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:44 am

Embarrassing miss: Redmond, WA. NHO movie Ran, it prevented a run of the category - how ironic.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

IronNeck

Post by IronNeck » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:17 am

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was a truly bizarre one to clam on. For some reason, I was sure the movie came out in 2001, and I didn't consider it "foreign". (Maybe because I know how disliked it was in China?)

A further complicating factor is that I thought of Ang Lee's other foreign Oscar-nominated (but not winning, turns out) film, Eat Drink Man Woman, but I knew enough Chinese to realize the given title didn't fit.

Yet, if I had just thought a little longer, I would have realized there weren't any other alternatives.

Yuck. What a way to miss out on 12 points. Definitely won't be typing up an answer at 4 am next time.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:14 am

doihavetoreally wrote:Embarrassing miss: Redmond, WA. NHO movie Ran, it prevented a run of the category - how ironic.
I HO Ran (it's Pavlov for "Kurasawa", that and "Seven Samurai") but a) didn't know it was based on King Lear and b) wasn't 100% sure that was an English title (despite always being referred to that way in English). Literally all I know about those two Kurasawa films are the titles. For the amount of praise he and his work get I should change that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:26 am

I could not remember if the poem was wheelbarrow or wagon. I clammed but would have been right if forced to guess.

Only got Eastwood in the movies. Figured it was Dragon for that one, but clammed.

mahatma

Post by mahatma » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:03 pm

Whoops. I can't believe I couldn't come up with 'CLAM'. D'oh!

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:11 pm

dhkendall wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:Embarrassing miss: Redmond, WA. NHO movie Ran, it prevented a run of the category - how ironic.
I HO Ran (it's Pavlov for "Kurasawa", that and "Seven Samurai")
And Rashomon, I think

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:22 pm

Redmond is also the home of Nintendo's US Headquarters. I know this from the time I ran up charges on the family phone bill calling the Nintendo Power Tips hotline.

coachgold
Valued Contributor

Post by coachgold » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:14 pm

Exact same situation here. Just couldn't pull it together to remember Redmond, no idea what the King Lear movie was.

Also lucked out on the Potemkin clue because of its recent appearance on the show, rewatched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon recently and took a guess because I know dragon is lóng, discussed the significance of "a red wheel barrow" for far too much time back in high school to ever forget it (thankfully?). Guessed on the Bollywood language one because I wasn't sure, but since no one else is discussing it here I'm gonna figure that the obvious guess was maybe a good one.

corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:39 pm

Red wagon? Sigh.

That should have been my first SHC round.

Thank you for the movie category, btw!

:sad:

ACW

Post by ACW » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:54 pm

Got Red Rover and Red Dragon; was thinking Redwood but CLAMmed (thought it wanted more specific, which was stupid considering the dollar value); was thinking Redmond but chickened out; no idea on William Williams's poem.
Got all of the movies one except "Ran".

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:30 pm

I just submitted some SHC categories that I had ready to go. Strangely enough, one of the questions I submitted was asked today! (In a different form.)

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:16 pm

Errr... red freaking wheelbarrow??????????

A shining example of why poetry is completely useless.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:22 pm

nserven wrote:Redmond is also the home of Nintendo's US Headquarters. I know this from the time I ran up charges on the family phone bill calling the Nintendo Power Tips hotline.
+1 That's when the city first hit my radar. There were some very nice and patient operators who handled the calls and there were others who could disguise their tiredness at answering the same thing for what was probably the 1000th time.

YouTube videos these days to aid in video game help sure are welcome and it beats the time period when I tried relying on the locating just the right post on gamefaqs for assistance.

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:10 pm

Went with Throne of Blood instead of Ran on the 15-pointer. Throne of Blood was based on Macbeth--wrong Shakespeare play! If I can narrow my choices to two on a question in the second set, I'll take a guess.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:36 pm

Rackme32 wrote:Errr... red freaking wheelbarrow??????????

A shining example of why poetry is completely useless.
I've been a fan of it since I first heard it a few years ago...then again, I'm an English major and have been interested in poetry for a lot of my life. :)

Redlands instead of Redmond, and "Chungking Express" (directed by Wong-Kar Wai, not even Ang Lee) instead of "Crouching Tiger." The latter answer came to mind, but I thought it must be something more obscure. Plus I went for Punjabi instead of Hindi (another answer that came to mind) on the Bollywood question. At least 4/5 on the first category and a 3-pointer on the second isn't horrible, right? :P

Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:52 pm

Agree with not liking the fact that I missed the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon clue. I knew that it could have been it, but, looking at the Chinese, thought, "Oh, I can translate it!" Wrong! I knew Wo was I but didn't realize that Wo also meant hidden in Chinese, so I thought that there weren't any famous films that fit "I" something with Ang Lee as its director so I clammed. Sigh.

Was very happy with getting Battleship Potemkin though considering the only reason I knew that was through quizbowl conversations! (Thank you Columbia Quizbowl!)
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

Leander

Post by Leander » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:28 pm

Blue Lion wrote:Went with Throne of Blood instead of Ran on the 15-pointer. Throne of Blood was based on Macbeth--wrong Shakespeare play! If I can narrow my choices to two on a question in the second set, I'll take a guess.
Throne of Blood was my knee-jerk reaction to the clue, too (Kurosawa/Shakespeare) but I gave it some thought and remembered it was Ran.