in all media in perpetuity

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: in all media in perpetuity

Post by Volante »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Volante wrote:I call it the "WKRP Clause." Back in the good ol' days of TV (Read: before VHS) songs were licenced to appear on TV and TV only. When VHS came around (and DVD), music rights were not secured for that medium, so they would have to be renegotiated. Unfortunately, this meant the music rightsholders were able to jack up the price...so the TV rightsholders said, "Screw it" and either replaced or omitted the songs. WKRP is considered one of the prime examples due to all the music they used and flat out cant' relicence it due to cost (expect WKRP to come out on media some time in the early 2100s). It's also the same reason Married With Children has a hackneyed muzak pseudo-"Love and Marriage" monstrosity on DVD.
Perhaps a more accurate name for it is the Peggy Lee Clause. A lot of this came up after Ms. Lee's lawsuit with Disney over the music in Lady and the Tramp.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,313939,00.html
I got to thinking about this a little and I'm gonna stick with 'WKRP Clause.' Reason being, Disney lost to Peggy Lee and ended up releasing the original Lady and the Tramp. But WWTBAM, et al., wouldn't bother fighting you. They'd either edit out your appearance or just never run the episodes again.

Calling it the Peggy Lee Clause gives hope that you might win over the studio. WKRP Clause, well, doesn't.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

RCraig wrote:I think that song royalties are also the dominant reason that the show pretty much never does Audio Daily Doubles with copyrighted music anymore. Also one more reason why all those early seasons are so hard to find and never re-aired on GSN etc.
I think GSN is more interested in airing more recent reruns when they can these days. They did air the first season of Trebek J! and parts of the second and third seasons back in the mid-late 90s(GSN's early days), when those shows were at the time 10-12 years old. The episodes still exist in SOny's library I would imagine.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I'm waiting for a ruling on decaffeinated coffee called the Sanka clause.