Friday, July 8, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 8, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, July 8, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Tony: $21,400+$201=$21,601
Dominic: $10,800+$10,799=$21,599
Maddie: $0 (did not participate in Final Jeopardy)

The Olympics
If he had been his own country, at the 2008 Summer Olympics he would have tied for ninth in gold medals.
Spoiler
Who is Michael Phelps
Woohoo! 5/5 on Final Jeopardy for me this week. Unfortunately I was done in by yet another pop culture category on tonight's show. I normally consider pop culture to be a fairly strong subject for me, but that is definitely not the case during Kids' Week.

That was a very impressive performance by Tony tonight. He was very quick on the buzzer and also quick at selecting his next clue, often interrupting Alex to do so. Dominic did everything he could do, making a true daily double in DJ when he was way behind, and then after Tony missed his DD to open the door, Dominic finished strong to just sneak in under the runaway line. I don't blame Tony for betting big on the DD. If he thought space was a strong category for him, I like the idea of trying to guarantee yourself a monster payday, even though his miss could have ended up costing him the game.

Maddie was unfortunately done in late in DJ by not being able to come up with the World Cup. She does get credit for apparently saying "crap" on the air, and even being (sort of) applauded by Alex for it. I didn't quite hear her say it, but my closed-captions said it, and I always trust what the closed-captions say.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

1620 a stand and stare???

Post by dhkendall »

How can three American schoolchildren not know that the year 1620 was the year of the Pilgrims and the Mayflower, etc?

That is all.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Maddie clearly said the word.

51/60 for me with 1/5 (Selena Gomez) in the dreaded Musical Gals. I tried giving P!nk a heart in thinking perhaps it was the dot of the "i" and not the whole letter.

Another miss I had was in Websites looking for the "T" in Path as I did, "What is tutorohshootit'steacher?"

I loved the Hasbro Game category. Monopoly, Battleship, Risk, Clue and Life are all great classic games. Hotels on the green properties, finding the destroyer first, owning South America, Mr. Green often the murderer, and stealing the win with a 1/10 hit are all fond memories.

Tony knew his stuff and worked the buzzer well. At least he knew the FJ clue and did not cost himself the big bucks. Props to Dominic for having a shot until the last reveal.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Very entertaining game tonight. I thought "oh jeez, another blowout win," but after the failed DD and the late run, it made for quite the end.
MarkBarrett wrote:I loved the Hasbro Game category. Monopoly, Battleship, Risk, Clue and Life are all great classic games. Hotels on the green properties, finding the destroyer first, owning South America, Mr. Green often the murderer, and stealing the win with a 1/10 hit are all fond memories.
This is one of those times my age hurt me. When they were giving the Monopoly clue, I was screaming internally, "That's a Parker Brothers game!" Then I remembered they (and Milton Bradley, for the Battleship game) had been taken over by Hasbro.
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Since when is "Jungle Gym" alliterative? They don't begin with the same letter!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

chuck5982 wrote:Since when is "Jungle Gym" alliterative? They don't begin with the same letter!
My dictionary defines alliteration as "repetition of an initial sound in two or more words of a phrase," not letters.
OCSam
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

OrangeSAM wrote:
chuck5982 wrote:Since when is "Jungle Gym" alliterative? They don't begin with the same letter!
My dictionary defines alliteration as "repetition of an initial sound in two or more words of a phrase," not letters.
Thanks for the info.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

chuck5982 wrote:Thanks for the info.
So, let's have the stylistic device cheat sheet: :)

alliteration: the repetition of a particular sound in the first syllables of a series of words and/or phrases.
consonance: the repetition of the same consonant two or more times in short succession, as in "pitter patter" or in "all mammals named Sam are clammy".
assonance: like consonance, but with vowel sounds
sibilance: the use of several sibilant sounds such as /s/ and /sh/.

Ha
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, and viewing the game in the archive reminded me - the otter clue makes me glad TPH hasn't followed us here. :)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:Oh, and viewing the game in the archive reminded me - the otter clue makes me glad TPH hasn't followed us here. :)
Check out page 2 of the members list. I was wondering where he was when I saw the sliced fruit category.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Oh, and viewing the game in the archive reminded me - the otter clue makes me glad TPH hasn't followed us here. :)
Check out page 2 of the members list. I was wondering where he was when I saw the sliced fruit category.
:?: :?: TPH is known for knowing things about fruit? (When I think "clues that TPH is most likely to comment on", country music and otters top the list.)

ETA: "TenPoundHammer" is on there, but is it really registered by the "Bobby something" we all know and ... know? I can't picture him having stayed quiet about clues he missed so far. (Heck, some basic Google-fu got me his Twitter feed, and he's commented on a few clues in there). My guess is that "TenPoundHammer" was registered by someone to prevent the real TPH from doing so should he find us. I don't have that much of a hate-on for the guy to do something like that, but despite some basic Google-fu giving me several ways of contacting him, I'm also not rushing to invite him here either.
Last edited by dhkendall on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alamble

Post by alamble »

dhkendall wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
:?: :?: TPH is known for knowing things about fruit? (When I think "clues that TPH is most likely to comment on", country music and otters top the list.)
Also, math.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I was looking for Hammer to comment on hoity toity things like the kiwi and the (not the spelling in the archive I just noticed) pomegranate.
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
econgator wrote: So, let's have the stylistic device cheat sheet: :)

alliteration: the repetition of a particular sound in the first syllables of a series of words and/or phrases.
consonance: the repetition of the same consonant two or more times in short succession, as in "pitter patter" or in "all mammals named Sam are clammy".
assonance: like consonance, but with vowel sounds
sibilance: the use of several sibilant sounds such as /s/ and /sh/.
Onomatopoeia: words or phrases that sound like what they mean (e.g., whistling wind).

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

--Pete wrote:Onomatopoeia: words or phrases that sound like what they mean (e.g., whistling wind).
I don't think that word means what you think it means ...

Your definition is essentially correct, but examples are more like "bang", "zoom", "whoosh", etc.

--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
dhkendall wrote:
--Pete wrote:
Onomatopoeia: words or phrases that sound like what they mean (e.g., whistling wind).
I don't think that word means what you think it means ...

Your definition is essentially correct, but examples are more like "bang", "zoom", "whoosh", etc.
I think you need to look at something more than a dictionary. For examples, try http://examples-of-onomatopoeia.com/

While "bop" and "boff" are examples of onomatopoeia, it is also used in literature a tad more refined than Batman comics. :)

--Pete
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

If words such as woof, whistle or bang sound like what they are describing, why are the words for them in other languages different? There are no truly onomatopoetic words.
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
Vanya wrote: If words such as woof, whistle or bang sound like what they are describing, why are the words for them in other languages different? There are no truly onomatopoetic words.
The Wiki article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onomatopoeia) touches on this very briefly ("Onomatopoeias are not the same across all languages; they conform to some extent to the broader linguistic system they are part of, ..."). Basically, it is closely related to why "L" and "R" are two different sounds in English but the same sound in Japanese. You are right that there are no onomatopoetic words that precisely sound like what they are describing. However, there are many onomatopoetic words in each language, and many even that cross languages (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-ling ... matopoeias).

So, the concept may not be perfect, but it is useful and recognizable.

ETA: There are no synonyms, if you want to be picky. Two words might have the same definition and thus the same denotation, but they convey different "feelings", so their connotations are different. No two words are mathematically equal.

--Pete