Wednesday, November 9, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

youtalkfunny
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by youtalkfunny »

Re: Bush twins--the "Chang and Eng" clue was the only one that specifically asked for first names, so I don't believe first names were required for the DD. Funny, if pressed for their first names, I recall Jenna, but didn't realize her twin was named Barbara, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't realize in time that I could just "do the math" and figure out her paternal grandmother's name!
dhkendall wrote: I could also have run the "Proverb" category as well, but need a judges' ruling: would "create Him" be acceptable to the given "invent Him" on the $1000 clue?
Yeah, could somebody here please rule on this? I came up with the same answer at home.

Brag: I ran the BD&A.

Beat: I've never heard or Corday nor Marat. :(

Variance: I'm shocked that I went 3-for-5 in the opera category (including a WAG on the DD).
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

econgator wrote:
laubla999 wrote:Got Fj easily
I sorta did. I kept thinking "Corday", no "Cordray", no "Corday" ... no ......... no. "Corday"
The before, during and after category would have done me in though ;-/
That's the one I had little trouble with. The only one I had no chance on was the $2k clue, as I had no chance on the "after" part.
I'm really not very good at before and after...
My english vocabulary is pretty good for a non-English speaker, but having to think of the rhyme also is one thing too many ;-(

ETA : as dhkendall says, B/A is not rhyme time ;-(
Last edited by laubla999 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

Tom's win means the lowest ranking he will have after Tuesday night will be 12th for a third place finish. A second place finish will put him in the top 10 at 6th, while winning the tournament will put him in the top 5 at 4th behind the UTOC finalists.
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

laubla999 wrote:
econgator wrote:
laubla999 wrote:Got Fj easily
I sorta did. I kept thinking "Corday", no "Cordray", no "Corday" ... no ......... no. "Corday"
The before, during and after category would have done me in though ;-/
That's the one I had little trouble with. The only one I had no chance on was the $2k clue, as I had no chance on the "after" part.
My english vocabulary is pretty good for a non-English speaker, but having to think of the rhyme also is one thing too many ;-(

It's not a rhyme that's required in B[,D]&A, it's matching up phrases or names that share a word
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

dhkendall wrote:
laubla999 wrote:

It's not a rhyme that's required in B[,D]&A, it's matching up phrases or names that share a word

Oups! Confused two categories : rhyme time and b/a.
Because I'm not very good at either one ;-/
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

My only good prediction of the night was that Tom would advance. Congrats on a masterful game and well-deserved victory.

I was pleased to run Proverbs and Political Leaders in the first round, and very much surprised myself by running BDA in the second. Usually there will be one (or more) of the five clues in which I have no idea who one (or more) of the three characters is. This was a pleasant surprise for me.

I have a long and unusual personal history with Paderewsky, so that was an instaget on a TS in the tournament, to make my day. Couldn't come up with a thing on FJ, to ruin my day. I had been doing so well with FJ in the tournament so far, but not today.

Looking forward to the rest of the tournament, and GO TOM!
shubhaghosh
Contributor

Post by shubhaghosh »

laubla999 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
laubla999 wrote:

Oups! Confused two categories : rhyme time and b/a.
Because I'm not very good at either one ;-/
Omaha Beach Boys in Brazil. Darn so close. But got the others FWIW.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

congrats to tom for terrific performance in DJ. it didn't occur to me until rewatching last night, but if justin had gotten in on the $1600 olympics clue (was it calgary or sarajevo? i can't remember), he might have won the game. seems crazy, right? but tom got $1600 for that and then wagered only $1000 on the DD, the last clue on the board. take that away and he's at $23600 going into FJ. justin is at $12000 when he hits the DD, and could (arguably should) bet it all for $24000 and a slim lead. it wasn't hard (pretty sure this was the lillehammer one, and they gave you norway in the clue). they both got FJ right.

that's the crazy thing about DDs. that third one seemed totally unimportant at the time, because tom had it locked up and there was no suspense. but if justin gets it, the whole game changes.

i have to say that all three players were impressive in this game. justin was very speedy on the buzzer and also pulled a number of gets that i didn't know. tom had a couple too (although i think his strong areas are more aligned with my own, so e.g. i would've known isherwood and pirandello, though i couldn't come up with allende or boys from brazil). erin was definitely up against it on what i thought was a really tough board, but she seemed to win more than her share of buzzer races.
joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

jeff6286 wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote: I thought the Olympic mascots category was easier than the category title suggested; you only had to know what city the Olympics had been held in in various years, all pretty recent (as well as being able to get to Sasquatch from Quatchi).
Did anyone else wonder why Tom didn't just say "Who are the Bush twins?" on his Daily Double, instead of trying to come up with their first names? They accepted Olsen Twins without requiring first names, so I think they would have to accept it for this clue. For a while I was thinking that $5,200 he lost on the DD would end up costing him the game, if Justin was able to hold the lead going into FJ, but then Tom caught fire in the DJ round, making it a lock game even with a miss on the true DD. I thought the whole twin category was insanely easy for the TOC, topped off by Romulus & Remus in the $1,000 box.

I was worried that they were going to neg Erin for saying "What is divine", when she should have said "what is is divine", despite the awkward wording. The writers of that clue should have anticipated the clumsy answer required for the clue as written and added the "is" to the text of the clue. Alex gave her a long pause after her response, before ruling her correct. I would have been seriously pissed off on Erin's behalf if they had come back and taken that one away later, but fortunately they chose to let it go.
I agree that "Who are the Bushes (or the Bush twins)?" would have been accepted based upon the acceptance of "Olsen" without their first names. Tom may have needlessly complicated it for himself, but obviously it had no effect on the outcome of the game.

And there seemed to be a pause before Alex accepted "What is divine?" as if there was an edit while the judges pondered. Anyone at the studio who can confirm this?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I got "Danny Boy George Steinbrenner"...was there anything about the clue that explicitly required the 'Oh' part?

Swept Bond girls, that's the type of category I'd Clavin on: last clue of the game, lockout score, "True Daily Double!!"

Missed FJ...no excuse. Knew her name started with a C, and if I got the right one I'd get it, but I never got to Charlotte hence never got to Corday. I figure "That woman who stabbed Marat in the bathtub" wouldn't cut it...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:I got "Danny Boy George Steinbrenner"...was there anything about the clue that explicitly required the 'Oh' part?
Nope, I answered the same and I figured, unlike the "created/made" proverb that I'm still seeking a ruling on, this would definitely have been accepted, and marked as correct.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILER

Post by seaborgium »

joepozz wrote:And there seemed to be a pause before Alex accepted "What is divine?" as if there was an edit while the judges pondered. Anyone at the studio who can confirm this?
The hallmark of an edit is not a pause, but the conspicuous absence of one.

I don't remember how this played out, but I can say with confidence that had there been an edit, it would have cut to Alex saying, "Yes. Select again."
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

dhkendall wrote:
Volante wrote:I got "Danny Boy George Steinbrenner"...was there anything about the clue that explicitly required the 'Oh' part?
Nope, I answered the same and I figured, unlike the "created/made" proverb that I'm still seeking a ruling on, this would definitely have been accepted, and marked as correct.
I'm with you on "Danny Boy...".

Not knowing the original german, I can't make a definitive ruling on invent/create, but I'm inclined to give it to you.
OCSam
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

jpahk wrote: but if justin had gotten in on the $1600 olympics clue (was it calgary or sarajevo? i can't remember), he might have won the game. seems crazy, right? but tom got $1600 for that and then wagered only $1000 on the DD, the last clue on the board...
It was Sarajevo. And Tom bet $2000 on the last clue. His math was right, but if ever there was a moment for a "let's just make sure of our margin" $5 bet this was it!

This was a really fun match to watch, and I agree with Steven H -- a well-written board overall. I didn't like the foothills question, because the clue seemed to be asking for a place name, not a geographic feature. I think they would have BMS'd on "Who are the Bushes?" J! can be inconsistent on this stuff, wanting what they want when they want it.

Got FJ right away, but it was clue that if you knew the fact, you got the clue. None of the "let's see if you can get there" factor of the best FJ clues.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

joepozz wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote: I thought the Olympic mascots category was easier than the category title suggested; you only had to know what city the Olympics had been held in in various years, all pretty recent (as well as being able to get to Sasquatch from Quatchi).
Did anyone else wonder why Tom didn't just say "Who are the Bush twins?" on his Daily Double, instead of trying to come up with their first names? They accepted Olsen Twins without requiring first names, so I think they would have to accept it for this clue. For a while I was thinking that $5,200 he lost on the DD would end up costing him the game, if Justin was able to hold the lead going into FJ, but then Tom caught fire in the DJ round, making it a lock game even with a miss on the true DD. I thought the whole twin category was insanely easy for the TOC, topped off by Romulus & Remus in the $1,000 box.

I was worried that they were going to neg Erin for saying "What is divine", when she should have said "what is is divine", despite the awkward wording. The writers of that clue should have anticipated the clumsy answer required for the clue as written and added the "is" to the text of the clue. Alex gave her a long pause after her response, before ruling her correct. I would have been seriously pissed off on Erin's behalf if they had come back and taken that one away later, but fortunately they chose to let it go.
I agree that "Who are the Bushes (or the Bush twins)?" would have been accepted based upon the acceptance of "Olsen" without their first names. Tom may have needlessly complicated it for himself, but obviously it had no effect on the outcome of the game.
I'm going to disagree once again, partly for reasons already stated (you should at least know one of the Bush twins'' grandmothers already) and also because the Olsen twins have really not established professional public identities independent of each other. They became famous sharing a TV role, and have established a business empire jointly - they are rarely seen at public functions when not together. (incidentally, though they look identical, they are actually fraternal twins) Conversely, Jenna and Barbara have very strong, separate public identities.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

jpahk wrote:congrats to tom for terrific performance in DJ. it didn't occur to me until rewatching last night, but if justin had gotten in on the $1600 olympics clue (was it calgary or sarajevo? i can't remember), he might have won the game. seems crazy, right? but tom got $1600 for that and then wagered only $1000 on the DD, the last clue on the board. take that away and he's at $23600 going into FJ. justin is at $12000 when he hits the DD, and could (arguably should) bet it all for $24000 and a slim lead. it wasn't hard (pretty sure this was the lillehammer one, and they gave you norway in the clue). they both got FJ right..
Or (in that alternate reality) if Justin hated the category and was not feeling confident about a $2,000-level clue, he could have wagered $200 (or whatever it would have taken him to drop him down to exactly half of Tom's score at that point; I think Tom may have actually had $22,600, as the archive says he wagered $2K on that last DD) and then Justin could have tanked the DD, to set up a lock-tie. (Under either my scenario or yours, Justin would have to get FJ right). With his buzzer skillz, maybe Justin would have liked his chances better on a tie-breaker question than on that particular DD (although it turned out to be a very easy DD, especially for the dollar value).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

By the way, is it just me or do the clues immediately above DDs seem to invariably be tougher than their value? It's like the DD is a reward for getting the tougher clue. (This, of course, all hinges on taking the clues in order.)

For the record, this isn't something I've just noticed during the TOC, but have been noticing consistently for about a year now.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
I don't know about create... 'invent him' is the original Voltaire ending, but it wasn't technically a 'fill in the blank' category and there's a good number of people using 'create him' from a Google search that, on a proverbial level, it may count.

Ya know, that's ambiguous enough. My vote is give yourself credit.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

hbomb1947 wrote:
jpahk wrote:congrats to tom for terrific performance in DJ. it didn't occur to me until rewatching last night, but if justin had gotten in on the $1600 olympics clue (was it calgary or sarajevo? i can't remember), he might have won the game. seems crazy, right? but tom got $1600 for that and then wagered only $1000 on the DD, the last clue on the board. take that away and he's at $23600 going into FJ. justin is at $12000 when he hits the DD, and could (arguably should) bet it all for $24000 and a slim lead. it wasn't hard (pretty sure this was the lillehammer one, and they gave you norway in the clue). they both got FJ right..
Or (in that alternate reality) if Justin hated the category and was not feeling confident about a $2,000-level clue, he could have wagered $200 (or whatever it would have taken him to drop him down to exactly half of Tom's score at that point; I think Tom may have actually had $22,600, as the archive says he wagered $2K on that last DD) and then Justin could have tanked the DD, to set up a lock-tie. (Under either my scenario or yours, Justin would have to get FJ right). With his buzzer skillz, maybe Justin would have liked his chances better on a tie-breaker question than on that particular DD (although it turned out to be a very easy DD, especially for the dollar value).
Given what we've seen of Justin's play over an extended period, what do you think were his chances on that DD (even at the $2K level)? What do you think would be his chances on a tiebreaker clue? I'd guess that the former are greater than the letter, suggesting that even if he wasn't particularly happy about the DD category, he should just go for it there. In either case, of course, he still has to get FJ right.

More importantly, how do you know that Tom will bet $0 in the lock-tie situation? Since I think his chances on FJ (assuming that Justin gets it right - otherwise his bet doesn't matter) are much higher than his chances on a tie-break clue, Tom should bet $1 on FJ in such a situation. Therefore, Justin playing for the lock-tie possibility seems like a major error.
Last edited by slam on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

alamble wrote:
joepozz wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:

I'm going to disagree once again, partly for reasons already stated (you should at least know one of the Bush twins'' grandmothers already) and also because the Olsen twins have really not established professional public identities independent of each other. They became famous sharing a TV role, and have established a business empire jointly - they are rarely seen at public functions when not together. (incidentally, though they look identical, they are actually fraternal twins) Conversely, Jenna and Barbara have very strong, separate public identities.
I'm going to respectfully disagree here. I don't see how they could legitimately neg "Who are the Bush twins?" I certainly understand that the clue brings some focus on their actual first names, but, in my mind, that doesn't then require you to mention their names. Unfortunately, I could see Alex himself similarly being misled by the phrasing in the clue and inappropriately (as he occasionally does) asking "We need more."

PS -when trying to post this comment, I got an error message of "You may only imbed 3 quotes within each other" or something like that.