LL70: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rusty's in the club
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LL70: For the LLamas

Post by Rusty's in the club »

Knew the painter and confidently entered a semi-spoonerism - Turnbull. Duh. Still worked out as my opp didn't come through with right answers.

The HP question was a slam dunk as it's my favorite for burgers. I just had to decide if Thorsten wanted Houses of Parliament of the more technical Palace of Westminster. Since he specifically referenced "HP" in the question, I went with houses. Wonder if he would have given a yes to Westminster.
BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

Nothing gives me more joy than taking a point or two from someone who went to a brand name university. I've taken points from Cornell, Columbia, and Harvard this season. (Quick correction edit: I lost to Cornell, but drew the others. Two of six points gained ain't bad.) I'm 18 and can't afford community college, but bring your fancy degree to the playground after school and we'll see who can really throw down. Mentally. Physically, I'm very frail. Please don't hurt me.
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Thanks to those on this board who said Astroboy for the Godzilla FJ a few days ago - that is why I threw it out as a guess on the manga question yesterday. It got me the 9(6) and the win.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Hey, does anyone know whether "Patriot Day" was acceptable for Q5 yesterday?
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

It was...that's exactly what I put.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

I put Mega Man for Astro Boy.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

boson wrote:Thanks to those on this board who said Astroboy for the Godzilla FJ a few days ago - that is why I threw it out as a guess on the manga question yesterday. It got me the 9(6) and the win.
Me, too. Never heard of Astro Boy before that!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I had no chance on Astro Boy absent the discussion on here. Thankyouthankyouthankyou. I enjoyed a sip of beer in your collective honor.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another 9(6) here thanks to the Astro Boy mentions and I needed it since my opponent got all but the funicular.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

MarkBarrett wrote:Another 9(6) here thanks to the Astro Boy mentions and I needed it since my opponent got all but the funicular.
Yup, good game. I only gave you a 1 for Astro Boy thinking you'd get it from here if you didn't happen to know it already. I took a cursory glance at the questions and thought, "I think Mark's going to know all these. Will defense even matter?" And sure enough, you drank the beer. Good game!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote:Another 9(6) here thanks to the Astro Boy mentions and I needed it since my opponent got all but the funicular.
How's this for knowing an answer? The Grateful Dead would occasionally break into 'Funiculi Funicula' when they were tuning up before starting a show. That got me interested in the song, and in looking up the song I learned about funiculars (it was written in honor of the inauguration of a funicular on Mt. Vesuvius).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:
How's this for knowing an answer? The Grateful Dead would occasionally break into 'Funiculi Funicula' when they were tuning up before starting a show. That got me interested in the song, and in looking up the song I learned about funiculars (it was written in honor of the inauguration of a funicular on Mt. Vesuvius).
I couldn't dredge that one up. Best I could come up with was "veniculum".

And somehow, I read the Indochina question o was two of the three. No clue where I got that from. Turned a win into a tie.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
boson wrote:Thanks to those on this board who said Astroboy for the Godzilla FJ a few days ago - that is why I threw it out as a guess on the manga question yesterday. It got me the 9(6) and the win.
Me, too. Never heard of Astro Boy before that!
Me three. I put it down as a WAG and then nearly fell over when I saw that it was correct.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Me too! My first 9(6) ever!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

clprez wrote:
Me too! My first 9(6) ever!
Congrats! Drinking beer is a gateway to more serious trivial drugs though - be careful or you'll start hanging out on Jeopardy message boards.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Figaro not so magnifico yesterday.... :oops:
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Me, too. Never heard of Astro Boy before that!
I'm "of a certain age", and remember my siblings watching Astro Boy when we were kids.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I lost badly yesterday, 2(3)-8(5). I actually wasn't 100% sure on any of the questions and thought that I may go 0/6, but I made educated guesses on Indochina, Verizon, and Patriots Day.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:all but the funicular.
Band name!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

Another day, another question shy of a six pack! And I so wanted to write down Verizon, knowing it was the major telecomm provider around here, but I talked myself out of it, thinking the name Verizon was older than that and that this must have been some intermediate provider. Having missed both spiders and HP the day before, I was sure the correct answer must have some connection to NYNEX/GTE/Bell Atlantic. I kicked myself all day for that one. It turned a win into a tie, but less painful than a loss, I guess.

At any rate, still hovering in promotion zone. We'll see if it can last for five more matches!