LL70: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ron
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LL70: For the LLamas

Post by ron »

I got Perkins from the Jeopardy clue in the last few weeks. I remembered the story from watching Ken Burn's Roosevelts on Netflix recently, but fouled up the answer during J!. The J! clue gave you Perkins and asked what cabinet--I guessed education thinking of the Perkins loan (as did a contestant, iirc), which is why I was able to remember the name.
Last edited by ron on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

RichmondJ wrote:A long time ago I was playing charades and the guy who was "up" had to do Frances Perkins. He got us to "Frances" (I forget how) and then acted out "percolator." That was more than 20 years ago, but to this day when I have to remember her name, Frances Percolator comes to mind immediately. Then I have to extrapolate to her actual name.
The other night I was playing charades and the guy who was "up" had to do Dick Clark. I'll let you guess how that went.

(Hint: he gave a similar clue for Anthony Weiner. Although I can't criticize, because my Jeffrey Tambor was even worse.)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I bet my opponents from yesterday wish they could have played me today; I went from six right to two.

I was flirting with the promotion zone, but now it's impossible to get there. Looking at the numbers, at first I thought it was merely highly improbable, but I'm in seventh place and would need (among other things) third place to forfeit and lose by a huge margin and fifth place to merely lose, and fifth and third are playing each other. If they both forfeit, third's MPD won't change and I can't catch him, and fifth can't be caught by me if she wins.
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

In a rather interesting coincidence, I went and saw Spike Lee give a talk yesterday. Not that it affected my game, since I know Do the Right Thing pretty well.

Frida was also on the mind thanks to the Viva la Vida FJ, but I researched that bus accident while making up a quiz for the Alpaca farm earlier in the year.

With a win last night, I sewed up a promotion to a C rundle, regardless of today's results.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OSXpert wrote:Frida was also on the mind thanks to the Viva la Vida FJ, but I researched that bus accident while making up a quiz for the Alpaca farm earlier in the year.
Yep. Good thing I looked at that list of Frida Kahlo paintings Tuesday night. :)

I get to play MorganI today for s shot at promotion. I'm in basically a three way tie for the #3 spot. To put it in Baseball terms, BilowM is the Mets, I'm the Giants and WalshJP is the Cards.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

I'm all in for any question that references Ta-Nehisi Coates and Lin-Manuel Miranda. This actually came up after I submitted yesterday: Coates had an event in DC on Tuesday night where he mainly talked about his McArthur grant and what he did with it. Someone offered me a ticket and I wasn't able to go, so the next morning, people were recounting it to me, much to my amusement.

On the painting, Mexican narrowed it down to two people for me and, not knowing Rivera's work, it became "click on this and see if it looks like a Kahlo work or not".
Twitter: @jfrumkin
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

jfrumkin wrote:I'm all in for any question that references Ta-Nehisi Coates and Lin-Manuel Miranda. This actually came up after I submitted yesterday: Coates had an event in DC on Tuesday night where he mainly talked about his McArthur grant and what he did with it. Someone offered me a ticket and I wasn't able to go, so the next morning, people were recounting it to me, much to my amusement.

On the painting, Mexican narrowed it down to two people for me and, not knowing Rivera's work, it became "click on this and see if it looks like a Kahlo work or not".
In addition to Rivera and Kahlo, there are the muralists Orozco and Siquieros, both of whom have come up a half dozen times on the show.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

jfrumkin wrote: On the painting, Mexican narrowed it down to two people for me and, not knowing Rivera's work, it became "click on this and see if it looks like a Kahlo work or not".
You can recognize Kahlo herself in the painting. Of course, that didn't prevent me from putting Rivera (the theme of the painting fit him, and it looked like it might be a mural; I also didn't think it could have been as easy as Mexican painter -> Kahlo). :oops:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote:
jfrumkin wrote:I'm all in for any question that references Ta-Nehisi Coates and Lin-Manuel Miranda. This actually came up after I submitted yesterday: Coates had an event in DC on Tuesday night where he mainly talked about his McArthur grant and what he did with it. Someone offered me a ticket and I wasn't able to go, so the next morning, people were recounting it to me, much to my amusement.

In addition to Rivera and Kahlo, there are the muralists Orozco and Siquieros, both of whom have come up a half dozen times on the show.
Except I wouldn't have known Orozco or Siquieros, so it was still a choice between Rivera and Kahlo anyway. I remembered about her being in the accident, so I figured it had to be her.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

goforthetie wrote:
jfrumkin wrote: On the painting, Mexican narrowed it down to two people for me and, not knowing Rivera's work, it became "click on this and see if it looks like a Kahlo work or not".
You can recognize Kahlo herself in the painting. Of course, that didn't prevent me from putting Rivera (the theme of the painting fit him, and it looked like it might be a mural; I also didn't think it could have been as easy as Mexican painter -> Kahlo). :oops:
Me, clicking on painting: Mexican painter - must be Diego Rivera.
Little Voice Inside My Head: It could be Frida Kahlo...
Me: No one in the painting looks much like Kahlo, sooo...
LVIMH (whispering): accident...
Me: Must be Rivera! (clicks "submit") GAH!

Whoever here said they looked at a bunch of Kahlo's paintings after the FJ the other day must be very happy now.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Ouch. Gripe time: I'm 10th in TCA and TMP, which is tied with or higher than the person in 6th place. I'm 4th in DE. That being said, I'm guaranteed a demotion back to D. Part of what makes LL so infuriatingly fun. Just not my season. Hope to see you again in LL 72, C Cont.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

alietr wrote:
Woof wrote:

Except I wouldn't have known Orozco or Siquieros, so it was still a choice between Rivera and Kahlo anyway. I remembered about her being in the accident, so I figured it had to be her.
Same.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

goforthetie wrote:
Yeah, I recognized Kahlo in the painting but also thought it seemed more like a theme Rivera would paint and it didn't seem unreasonable he'd paint his wife into a painting.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I got only my third 5 ever yesterday, missing only Spike Lee. And yet, I still lost 8(5)-9(6). In D rundle. To someone in the relegation zone.

Somehow, though, I've managed to lock up spending another season in D, despite having the second-lowest TCA in my rundle. Yay me?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

goforthetie wrote:
Since we recently flubbed "Viva la vida" I took the time to go through all her work and thus spotted it immediately, such a happy coincidence. Sigh, sorry Kim Ed! :cry:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ElendilPickle wrote:Whoever here said they looked at a bunch of Kahlo's paintings after the FJ the other day must be very happy now.
Yep, I was!
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

nightreign wrote:I got only my third 5 ever yesterday, missing only Spike Lee. And yet, I still lost 8(5)-9(6). In D rundle. To someone in the relegation zone.
I also lost 8(5)-9(6), thanks to missing the Isis question. There's no excuse for that unforced error, as I saw all of the episodes of Downton Abbey, which began with Isis the dog wagging her tail.
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

Needed two wins to finish out the season and be assured of going from rookie to Continental C. Submitted MD24 and drank the beer for the first time!

Logged in this morning and saw my opponent also drank the beer. :(

Now I need help to make C Rundle. What a glorious game.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Drank my second beer ever yesterday! I've also have made it through the past 24 match days without a tie - can I make it one more day?
mrexley
Valued Contributor

Post by mrexley »

Welp, in the most crucial match day of the season, I laid an egg -- well 7(4) is an egg on a day when seemingly everyone else in the rundle drinks a beer. I was the lone person to miss Genius Grant (so I won't be getting one), and one of two people to miss Shonda Rhimes (not too familiar with any of the shows mentioned in the question).

Congrats goatman, you won a brutal rundle.
Learned League: KimEd