LL70: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Re: LL70: For the LLamas

Post by goforthetie »

Thorsten may also have considered the name Southaven to be a small hint that it was south of the desired city.

(Of course you could also take the name to mean that it's on the southern coast, in which case Mobile would again be a good guess. But that would mean that there's a shore town larger than Biloxi/Gulfport but significantly less famous....)
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

mikeyb wrote:
Volante wrote:Oh, shout out to X-Files for Syzygy. Great episode.
And I'd like to thank the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Hit me with an acouchi question next!
Same.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Alabama -- pretty sure Birmingham and Montgomery are center-state.
They are.

That was the only one I got right. I was playing somebody from British Columbia, so I correctly guessed they wouldn't know much about Southern U.S. geography. I played perfect defense overall, but so did they as I lost 0(1)-2(3).
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

In spite of losing the past two rounds I am at the top of the board in A Horizon. I have NO idea HTH this is possible, unless by a series of unlikely improbable events otherwise higher ranked players have lost to each other in my rundle, LOL! Pretty sure it just won't last, heh.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

I set a personal record on MD18, getting 4 questions correct for the first time ever and earning 7 MP in a 7(4)-2(2) win. This is still pretty much a miserable season, as I remain firmly entrenched in last place in my rundle.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

Last edited by BRD-98 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Granted, I never lived in LA proper, but still had a decent shot at the Sepulveda question. Got caught by Chinatown, however, as did many others and didn't think of Mulholland Drive/
mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

This being my third season, Diana Ross gets the honor of the first answer to be right to two questions (the other being the concert in the rain question from my rookie season).

Galena was my obstacle to the beer yesterday. I knew I wasn't going to get it from the ore itself, but I was stuck on New York/Ohio cities trying to get entry via Grant. I spent so long trying to come up with something there (only to throw out "Red Rock" for lack of anything better) that it was somewhat a relief to see it was something I would have never come up with on my own. Though now I know where Galena Park near Houston got its name.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Woof wrote:Granted, I never lived in LA proper, but still had a decent shot at the Sepulveda question. Got caught by Chinatown, however, as did many others and didn't think of Mulholland Drive/
I lived in Los Angeles for eight years, and thought of Mulholland Drive right away. Sunset Boulevard took a couple of minutes, but I got it eventually.
ron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ron »

I got Mulholland Drive almost immediately then slept on it. I ended up having a dream that I was on a quiz show and Sunset Boulevard was the answer to an unrelated question. Unfortunately, no such subconscious epiphany with Diana Ross or Galena and I lost 7(4)-8(5).
mrexley
Valued Contributor

Post by mrexley »

ron wrote:I got Mulholland Drive almost immediately then slept on it. I ended up having a dream that I was on a quiz show and Sunset Boulevard was the answer to an unrelated question.
That's somewhat Lynch-esque. Was the quiz show host either a giant or a dwarf?
Learned League: KimEd
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mrexley wrote:
ron wrote:I got Mulholland Drive almost immediately then slept on it. I ended up having a dream that I was on a quiz show and Sunset Boulevard was the answer to an unrelated question.
That's somewhat Lynch-esque. Was the quiz show host either a giant or a dwarf?
I bet the response was actually Draveluob Tesnus.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

BRD-98 wrote:I just gotta rant for a second.

I'm in Badlands D Div 2 this season. I have the highest CAA (correct allowed answers -- basically it measures how tough your opponents have been playing against you) of the rundle, and by a large margin -- I'm at 55, descending from that from 2nd worst up is 52, 52, 51, 49, 49, etc. My defense is at .546, in part due to these bizarre anomalies like on MD18, where my opponent missed "the Scream" (his art %: 53.8) but got Diana Ross (his pop music %: 26.7). What's more frustrating is I'm at 40.7% correct this season, which is only just a hair below average for the rundle. Currently 27th/28. I literally can't even. And it doesn't show signs of stopping.

(Not to mention I'm also highest in CAA in a private rundle -- 68 to 66, 64, 64, 64...)
Despite this, you'll probably still be in a D rundle next season, as lots of indicators point to a breakup of Badlands, and whether or not our branch is one of the ones that gets moved, or other people get moved and we have to fill in their missing spots, not much relegation will actually happen.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

How appropriate would it be if HP Sauce had a picture of a Beefeater on it? I think I should have gotten a BWA for that, not because it's funny, but because it's a more satisfying response to that question than the correct one.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

seaborgium wrote:How appropriate would it be if HP Sauce had a picture of a Beefeater on it? I think I should have gotten a BWA for that, not because it's funny, but because it's a more satisfying response to that question than the correct one.
I thought it might have taken advantage of the popularity of that other HP, so I went with a lightning bolt.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I wonder if anyone answered "A PRINTER" for that one.

I think that was my first time getting zero correct since I started playing along a couple seasons ago. I'm sure I've heard "Hansen's disease" at some point, but I couldn't remember what it was. No chance on the others.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I was expecting Hogwarts to be the MCWA.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I would have had a zero if my dad hadn't been stationed in Okinawa before I was born. I'll have to call him and thank him for keeping me zero-less.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Today I play the man, the myth, the legend, BarrettM. Good luck, and may your defense suddenly get much worse today :) It begins a run of playing 4 of the top 7 in my Rundle the next 5 days. I'm hanging on to staying in C by the skin of my teeth as it is, and I still have the highest CAA in all of C Cont.

My referral picked up her first-ever win! And it was a 2(1)-1(2) win at that! She's been telling me she absolutely loves LL, but has been driven crazy by it in a good way. I'm hoping she sticks with it next season.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

HP sauce was a struggle for me. I thought initially that appropriately referred to some meat-based food with initials HP. I ran through all the meat pies I could think of, to no avail ("hunter's pie"? Nope, NHOI). Finally, I took a step back and asked what quintessentially British things have initials HP, and there it was. Of course, once spotted, I could picture the label. My opponent and I both screwed the pooch defensively, having both (presumably) taken the MCWA bait on the SPDR question and assigned it 0 (him) and 1 (me). :oops: