LL70: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL70: For the LLamas

Post by Blue Lion »

The answer to yesterday's Question 1 came up in Monday's Summer Hiatus Challenge. The 8-pointer was "In Act III, Scene 1, of this Shakespeare play, Salanio asks "Now, what news on the Rialto?" The answer, of course, was The Merchant of Venice.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

MarkBarrett wrote:I noticed my DE was .919 and was curious how that compared to others in Continental, so I went one by one through each rundle and found a couple of .917s. Is there a level I should try to maintain for respectability? I figure with a season and not quite a half of experience it's just beginner's luck so far.

Still, it's nice to hit a 8(5)-6(5) victory. The 3 for Venice was a gift and the 1 for Panama Papers ( the one I missed) was a nice gift from my opponent. 52% for Lyme Disease? Wow!

It's okay to post like this once the results are posted on the site and I do not have to wait for the official email, right?
Very few people who have been in LL for a long time have a DE over .700.
mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

Aaaaand so endeth my 11-match undefeated streak on an 8(5)-9(6) loss. I've been to the Rialto--twice!!--but that didn't stop me from responding "Rome." And I got hit by another 9(6) in my private rundle, so I guess that's the LL equivalent of having your ears boxed!

Curious as to whether "Rocky Mountain fever" was accepted. After almost falling into the Lyme trap, I corrected myself but couldn't remember whether "spotted" or something else was part of the name and almost went with just "Rocky Mountain fever" to hedge.

I also want to thank the poster on here--I can't remember which one--who advised me not to overthink defense last season. I've spent a lot less time mulling over question history/etc than I did last time, and my defense numbers have improved considerably this season. I'm actually sitting somewhere on the Highland Sandra chart right now.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

mikeyb wrote:
Curious as to whether "Rocky Mountain fever" was accepted. After almost falling into the Lyme trap, I corrected myself but couldn't remember whether "spotted" or something else was part of the name and almost went with just "Rocky Mountain fever" to hedge.
Confirmed.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I noticed my DE was .919 and was curious how that compared to others in Continental, so I went one by one through each rundle and found a couple of .917s. Is there a level I should try to maintain for respectability? I figure with a season and not quite a half of experience it's just beginner's luck so far.

Still, it's nice to hit a 8(5)-6(5) victory. The 3 for Venice was a gift and the 1 for Panama Papers ( the one I missed) was a nice gift from my opponent. 52% for Lyme Disease? Wow!

It's okay to post like this once the results are posted on the site and I do not have to wait for the official email, right?
Very few people who have been in LL for a long time have a DE over .700.
Most LLamas will tell you that DE is a skill that isn't repeatable, which is true for some people, but from my observations it seems like some people have a talent for it, some sort of intuition, and those people can keep up consistently stellar defense. .700 is a good level to be at though.

In other news, there is going to be a 21st Century Pop Music ML. SQUEEEEEEEEE
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

My J! abilities are not exactly indicative of a J! champion, but I sometimes go on a good run and pick up a fair amount of LT, and I had a pretty decent FJ! record this past season. When watching the show or looking at contestant responses through the archive, I don't always feel all that much worse at trivia than the contestants.

But the LL stats of most LLama J! alums compared to mine (from playing along without registering) paint a whole other picture.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

countyguy wrote:My J! abilities are not exactly indicative of a J! champion, but I sometimes go on a good run and pick up a fair amount of LT, and I had a pretty decent FJ! record this past season. When watching the show or looking at contestant responses through the archive, I don't always feel all that much worse at trivia than the contestants.

But the LL stats of most LLama J! alums compared to mine (from playing along without registering) paint a whole other picture.
They're TOTALLY different games. The J! canon is smaller than the LL one, and LL requires much more depth than J!
As evidenced by the fact that I improved my SHC score by almost 300 points over the past year and yet my LL stats haven't improved at all in the same period of time. (No, I'm not salty about this. What makes you think I'm salty?)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote:Yeah, Lyme disease was nasty negbait since it was named for East Lyme, CT, but the rest of the clue steered me away. Black Measles didn't sound right and sometimes fatal didn't either. That's when it all kicked in.
I convinced myself that "Lyme" was too short and simple to be anything but a person's name. I'd like to believe that if I had known the facts, the word "region" would have steered me away instead.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

nightreign wrote:
They're TOTALLY different games. The J! canon is smaller than the LL one, and LL requires much more depth than J!
As evidenced by the fact that I improved my SHC score by almost 300 points over the past year and yet my LL stats haven't improved at all in the same period of time. (No, I'm not salty about this. What makes you think I'm salty?)
J! and LL are totally different games, but then SHC is a third entity altogether. The hard questions on the SHC are well beyond both J! and regular-play LL, while still following close to the style of J.

I'm having fun with the SHC, but doing much worse than the last few years.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I'm doing horribly this season. I'm really trying to dig out of the relegation zone.

Yesterday was my first ever 5 correct day, and I still lost.

I'm still enjoying it, though.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

clprez wrote:I'm doing horribly this season. I'm really trying to dig out of the relegation zone.

Yesterday was my first ever 5 correct day, and I still lost.

I'm still enjoying it, though.

Boy, it's tough to take a loss like that. Hang in there.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I usually don't spend too much time deliberating defense (or offense, for that matter), but I think that yesterday was the hardest time that I have ever had assigning defense. I thought that it would end poorly, but I got a 4(3)-1(1) win. I recognized Parma as a brand of prosciutto, but none of those other words rang a bell and I never would have associated them with ham. I guessed "charterhouse," thinking of the Stendhal novel.

I am also mad at myself for not getting Pythagoras, especially since I may have pulled it if I took all day to ponder the questions instead of submitting first thing in the morning (I guessed Pascal).

Aside from match day 2, where I went 0(0), this season has felt on the easy side and I'm on pace to have my best TCA ever. That probably means that the questions are about to get harder.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I had an exact 2(3)-2(3) tie with Hbomb as we both zeroed Gauguin and gave singletons to Atlantic City and Iroquois. That was fine by me as I thought Hbomb might get the ham due to his worldly travels. Finland's Kalevala seemed to have 3 written all over it. Pythagoras could have been a difference maker as well, but the 2 points went unclaimed.

My next opponent has just a wee bit LL experience over my 23-8-5 as the career for Wolov is: 615-537-159
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Lost both my games, that was expected, but I was ecstatic that I didn't get a 0(0) as I thought, apparently "Five Nations" is good enough for Iriquois. (Especially since I thought those were different things!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I am hesitant as a rule to call shenanigans, but unless Kalevala is a staple of the quizbowl circuit or something, some of those get rates look suspiciously high to me. I've been to Finland and several Finnish friends and have NHOI. And what gives with Midlands C1? A bunch of Suomi there?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Woof wrote:I am hesitant as a rule to call shenanigans, but unless Kalevala is a staple of the quizbowl circuit or something, some of those get rates look suspiciously high to me. I've been to Finland and several Finnish friends and have NHOI. And what gives with Midlands C1? A bunch of Suomi there?
Kalevala is most definitely a staple of the quiz bowl circle, and that is how I got it. I think that some people may have also been able to get it from a classical music connection, as I think that Sibelius composed a piece that was inspired by it. I don't think that a 13% league-wide get rate is unreasonable for it, though I see what you mean about the MidlandsC1 get rate.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Woof wrote: And what gives with Midlands C1? A bunch of Suomi there?
It looks like that's the home of the Oslo branch of LL. (Seriously.)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Questions like #1 yesterday can be interesting and fun while also being puzzling and frustrating. (The one with D'Ardennes, ibérico, di Parma, Westfälischer, and Yunnan.)

I had no idea what kind of subject area I should consider. Some things that popped into my head were Parmesan cheese, the Forest of Ardennes, the Iberian peninsula, and the Peace of Westphalia.

That didn't help to narrow it down. Am I looking for a food? Am I looking for a geographical feature? Am I looking for a historical event that happened there?

In the end, I went for "treaty" because over the centuries, there have been a lot of different treaties named for a lot of different places. If you don't know it, it's so hard to know what type of entity to guess.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

Woof wrote:I am hesitant as a rule to call shenanigans, but unless Kalevala is a staple of the quizbowl circuit or something, some of those get rates look suspiciously high to me. I've been to Finland and several Finnish friends and have NHOI. And what gives with Midlands C1? A bunch of Suomi there?
There was a question about the Kalevala in the Myths and Legends ML last year (Championship day, Q9). And because Myths and Legends 2 is coming up in this offseason, some people may have reviewed those questions even more recently.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

StevenH wrote:
Kalevala is most definitely a staple of the quiz bowl circle, and that is how I got it. I think that some people may have also been able to get it from a classical music connection, as I think that Sibelius composed a piece that was inspired by it. I don't think that a 13% league-wide get rate is unreasonable for it, though I see what you mean about the MidlandsC1 get rate.
Yeah, Kalevala comes up in quizbowl, where religion and mythology features much more prominently than in learned league. It is still a tough question for those of us who haven't played quizbowl in 15-odd years, or who never have played. I had a head slap when the answers were revealed, but I would have to have been playing qb a lot more recently to get it.

I think you meant Meridian C1 - http://learnedleague.com/match.php?70&1 ... dian_Div_1 - where there seem to be a lot of Europeans for whom this must come up more often.