Thursday, November 10, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, November 10, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Budphrey »

Buddy -- congratulations on gutting that one out and making the finals. It looked like that was a really harrowing game to be a part of. I have one questions, and I want you to be honest: When Jay landed on those two Daily Doubles in the second round, your applause was the loudest in the house. Was that a "better you than me" clap? ;)

I do have to sympathize with Jay; I agree that the Redgraves were a pretty reasonable guess. My clue-digging-up process was about the same as teapot37's.

I was hoping Kara -- Chicago type, journalism type and all that -- would have a better showing. Well, she got to the semifinal of a Tournament of Champions, which is better than I ever did. Clink!
legendneverdies wrote:Looked as though there was an edit after Alex revealed the correct response and the wager was revealed, because instead of asking for the wager, ALex just said Buddy wins the game ...
That was a presumption — not an unreasonable one, but it seemed Alex did jump the gun. On the other hand, I wonder if he's briefed on the wagers before he comes out to reveal the responses.
legendneverdies wrote:I got to deHavilland but somehow paired her with Vivien Leigh.
Understandable, since they were together in a pretty prominent movie.

ETA: Check out Kara's article written in the game's wake. I wouldn't even have thought to bring a uniformed cheering section.
Last edited by Budphrey on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
WRV
Always Lies

Post by WRV »

Man, I haven't got a single FJ right for this tournament. Maybe I ought to reconsider auditioning...
"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company." -Jean-Paul Sartre
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

So far I've been surprised how easy the boards have been in this ToC, but today I felt they were very difficult. I had no chance on FJ as I didn't know those two were sisters (I guessed the Redgraves as the only potentially Oscar-worthy sisters that came to mind).

It came right after a small glitch in my recording, so I am not 100% sure that I heard it right, but didn't Alex pronounce "Krugman" as rhyming with "bug man"? I can understand mispronouncing foreign names, but an American host should really know how to pronounce names of famous Americans.
Zee2
Contributor

Post by Zee2 »

I heard Krugman as Gnash did; took me a second to realize whom he meant. I knew who FJ wanted immediately because of my age, but also because of it, I couldn't retrieve Joan Bennett's last name. "Crawford" kept interfering.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

Had no idea on FJ.
Said Jane and Bridget Fonda as a WAG ;-(

I have heard of De Havilland but not Fontaine (thought that was a ballet dancer!).

Good luck to Buddy!

It would have been weird if he had bet it all and Sara had won with $12 ;-)
Last edited by laubla999 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Did anyone else notice that Kara repeatedly asked for 2001 Emmy Awards, rather than 2011. Oddly enough, her game last week included the 2011 Movies category, and in that game she also repeatedly asked for 2001, rather than 2011. I was surprised that Alex never once corrected her, as some could construe that as trying to throw off one's opponents, by mis-calling the category. I certainly don't think that Kara did it deliberately, but it is strange that she did it so many times (I'm guessing about 4 or 5) without anyone calling attention to it on air.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

That was indeed an ugly game, but congrats to my favorite Aggie champ Buddy on getting to the finals. Whoop!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Good grief, what a horrid game. I also had the Redgraves in FJ, though the bit about looking for the first pair led me to believe they weren't it, as I don't recall it happening anytime recently.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

instaget FJ for me, but only becase I happened to watch "Suspicion" on TCM a few months ago, which led me to do internet research on Fontaine, which mentioned her sister, and the fact that one of them won an oscar when both were nominated (and apparently they still won't speak to each other to this day).

DJ categories were crap.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Woppy T wrote:instaget FJ for me, but only becase I happened to watch "Suspicion" on TCM a few months ago, which led me to do internet research on Fontaine, which mentioned her sister, and the fact that one of them won an oscar when both were nominated (and apparently they still won't speak to each other to this day).

DJ categories were crap.
I think the Fontaines(95 and 94) and Luise Rainer(age 101) are the three oldest living acting Oscar winners.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

gnash wrote:So far I've been surprised how easy the boards have been in this ToC, but today I felt they were very difficult. I had no chance on FJ as I didn't know those two were sisters (I guessed the Redgraves as the only potentially Oscar-worthy sisters that came to mind).

It came right after a small glitch in my recording, so I am not 100% sure that I heard it right, but didn't Alex pronounce "Krugman" as rhyming with "bug man"? I can understand mispronouncing foreign names, but an American host should really know how to pronounce names of famous Americans.
Is Krugman really a "famous American"? In some circles, yes. Among the general public I'd say no.
aggiebud
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by aggiebud »

Wow - what a game...I had forgotten exactly how ugly that game was.

So let me address a few of the questions that have come along in the thread thus far:

Yes - Eva and Zsa Zsa was a complete joke answer. I have always believed, if you can't be right, be funny. As to why I didn't get the last name down...I simply ran out of time. I sat and stared at that clue for half of the time allotted before I decided I had to write something.

As for Budphrey's question - why was I clapping so loud on the DD's: Just like a kid who moves to a new school, and the first friend he makes is his best friend...Jay was the first person I met at the hotel during the taping, and he is one of the nicest, funniest people I've ever met. We bonded instantly, and I was sick when we had to play one another. I obviously wanted to win, but if I couldn't, I had no problem with Jay beating me. He was ahead by $4800 - hit the daily double - and I knew he was about to put the game away. No reason not to be a good sport and cheer for a friend.

I think you can tell how close we all were by the hugs at the end of the match.

And my reaction - I was absolutely shocked to have won. Jay outplayed me for the whole game. He tried to put the game away with the first daily double, and it backfired. It went downhill for him after that. Even then - he was within striking distance in FJ. When they revealed the Redgrave sisters as his response, I was certain he was right and was ready to congratulate him. When he missed it, and I knew I had won, it was all I could do to keep it together - and I'm not sure I did that good a job.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Kara Spak does her own article on tonight's appearance:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/8740 ... orter.html
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When I watch the TOC I try to look for scenarios where I could have done well if things fell my way. Put me in QF #1 and I can make the semis. Put me in tonight's game and I can make the finals even with my 15 & 18 correct.

Jay could not hear me begging him to dig up Zworykin. The FJ clue was Olivia de Havilland immediately. Vivien Leigh popped in first, but I knew that was not the name I wanted. Out loud I said, "Olivia de Havilland and." Joan Fontaine came right up I felt good that I did not need to search for more names. Even if Gish or Redgrave had come to me I would not have switched.

Jay and Kara came in on the high end of ring-in clues wrong average per game and it cost them a chance to steal the game.

Buddy hit no DDs and only had a 10800 Coryat, but congrats to him for finding a way to make it work for $50,000. To all of you who had him in the higher end of your predictions, well done. I put him in Bronze and was dead no wrong no matter what happens in the finals.

Alex's opening with "threesome" drew a laugh and they had to keep that in even if all viewers would not have recalled/understood the laughter. Kara's interview was indeed touching. Jay's interview was not as good as his other ones, but Alex helped close it out. Buddy also scored on the laugh meter with his guess of Charlie Sheen on the Errol Flynn autobiography.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

teapot37 wrote:FJ for me was basically "Olivia de Havilland and her sister! What's her sister's name?!?!? crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap 5 seconds left JOAN FONTAINE!!!
I did something similar, except with two seconds left blurted out "JOAN CRAWFORD". crapcrap
legendneverdies wrote:I think the Fontaines(95 and 94) and Luise Rainer(age 101) are the three oldest living acting Oscar winners.
Something worth remembering: It's the de Havillands who are 95 and 94. Fontaine was a stage name.
Last edited by OrangeSAM on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OCSam
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

Congrats to Buddy for moving on, and congrats to Jay and Kara for a most entertaining match! I was most impressed with Buddy's ability to shake off being in the red and just keep ringing in and answering. I knew Olivia de Havilland, but couldn't remember Joan Fontaine. They were the focus of a "Not My Job" question on "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" sometime in the recent past and that's how I knew even just the half I did.

I've been thoroughly enjoying the entire tournament, and look forward to seeing how it all turns out.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I also thought that the J board was the hardest of the TOC (including tonight's DJ board) with lots of neg bait. A fair amount of Lach Trash for me on the Order cat (Primates and Rodents TSs? Really?). I also felt that Jay may have hurt himself with the DD hunting. No hope on FJ beyond knowing which answers were wrong. :(
aggiebud
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by aggiebud »

Woof wrote:I also thought that the J board was the hardest of the TOC (including tonight's DJ board) with lots of neg bait. A fair amount of Lach Trash for me on the Order cat (Primates and Rodents TSs? Really?). I also felt that Jay may have hurt himself with the DD hunting. No hope on FJ beyond knowing which answers were wrong. :(
I think we were all gun-shy at the category to even try to pull the trigger on Primates or Rodents. I know I was gun-shy on Patton, even though I was pretty sure that was right.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

aggiebud wrote:
Woof wrote:I also thought that the J board was the hardest of the TOC (including tonight's DJ board) with lots of neg bait. A fair amount of Lach Trash for me on the Order cat (Primates and Rodents TSs? Really?). I also felt that Jay may have hurt himself with the DD hunting. No hope on FJ beyond knowing which answers were wrong. :(
I think we were all gun-shy at the category to even try to pull the trigger on Primates or Rodents. I know I was gun-shy on Patton, even though I was pretty sure that was right.
That's how it seemed to me watching it, Bud. I wonder if it would have been less daunting had that category been attacked in a top-down order? (no pun intended)
jgpeterson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jgpeterson »

SavoyGirl wrote:That FJ was an instaget for me! Second-guessing with Dorothy and Lillian Gish, but ruled them out. Anyone could have won at the end! ZsaZsa and Eva? Really? Kara couldn't think of anyone? At least the Redgrave sisters was a sensible guess, if a couple of decades late.

Don't mind me...can't help kvelling at getting a TS FJ in the TOC.
Me too! But I love old movies, especially Joan Fontaine's. I always get a kick out of the films that portray her as a plain woman when in reality I've always found her to be gorgeous. The Gabors had to have been tongue-in-cheek. I hadn't thought of the Redgraves, and it is sensible, but I also ruled out the Gishes - I think they might have come before the Oscars anyway. Lately, I've been nailing the FJs but bombing in DJ.