FJs for the 11/7/11 Week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 11/7/11 week?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:58 pm

The word for a song element you won't find in instrumentals comes from the name of this instrument
67%
In a poem he named himself Cadenus, an anagram of Decanus, or "Dean"
20%
She said, "I told my plans to no one. I was not killing a man, but a wild beast that was devouring the French people"
56%
They were the first 2 sisters ever nominated for the same acting Oscar in the same year
30%
A 2005 sale of 14,159,265 shares prompted the headline "Google offers shares, seeks global piece of" this
56%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
4%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
3%
KING OF QUEEN $2000: Sofia of Greece, born 1938
18%
POLITICAL LEADERS $1000: An ardent Polish patriot, this piano virtuoso served as the country's leader in 1919 & again in exile from 1940 to 1941
37%
WHAT'S THAT ON YOUR HEAD? $800: The name of this headdress & the word "tulip" are derived from the same word
32%
My correct guess for the 11/11 Friday FJ clue was P-I-E.
26%

Total votes: 90

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: FJs for the 11/7/11 Week

Post by DBear »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :(

Worst week this year.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:

Ouch. For Monday's "harmony" came to mind, which led me to harmonica. It seemed obviously wrong, but couldn't get past that. Big headslap on the reveal.

At the Reddpen trivia night I stopped in at in Seattle this summer, there was a question asking to name Joan Fontaine's famous fellow acting sister. We didn't get it, forgetting about a hint given about the sister sharing a name with an aircraft manufacturer (a neighbor of our family actually worked for DHC in the 1980s). That "should" have been enough for me to know Thursday's FJ!, but no...
andreaborn
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by andreaborn »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No chance on Swift, since I was somehow in the 1800s instead of the 18th century (though I probably wouldn't have gotten to him anyway). Like mam418, I somehow put Olivia de Havilland in the same family as Joan Crawford (oops). I was sure I had the right pair and didn't use my whole 30 seconds to continue to think carefully -- such a bad habit.

I was a little slow on Paderewski, but think I got him in time (playing from the archive, can't be certain).
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:cry: :mrgreen: :cry:
And yes, I said "p-i-e"

Rough week. Knew the sisters just from old movie trivia. Padarewski I knew from my classical music -- and the obscure fact that his coffin was kept inside the USS Maine memorial at Arlington National Cemetery from 1941 until Poland was freed (1992).
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I'm sure "pie" would have been ruled incorrect.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:I'm sure "pie" would have been ruled incorrect.
So was I (even more sure) until (Roger?) said that Alex said in post chat interviews that "pie" would have been acceptable. Case closed.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:
So was I (even more sure) until (Roger?) said that Alex said in post chat interviews that "pie" would have been acceptable. Case closed.
Well, Alex isn't a judge :) . So what about my answer of "the pie"? Not to mention "pie" violates their standard rule about direct quotes.

I feel like having some pie in Vilnuis with Bejamin Franklin.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Well, Alex isn't a judge :) . So what about my answer of "the pie"? Not to mention "pie" violates their standard rule about direct quotes.

I feel like having some pie in Vilnuis with Bejamin Franklin.
Alex isn't a judge, but I got the impression his "pie" comment was authoritative, meaning it was on his card as acceptable. "The pie", perhaps, I mean if they're going to go away from the direct quote and all ... ;)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

:cry: Thought of "vocal" or "voice", never got to "lyric". Probably woulda had it if I'd done so.
:cry: Absolutely no shot at this whatsoever. Just Googled it now... No idea he was involved with church stuff.
:cry: Same as Tuesday.
:cry: Thought of the Redgraves... No idea DeHavilland and Fontaine were related.
:mrgreen: Noticed the odd number of stocks offered after a bit, and nailed it, saving myself from the "0-fer" box.
:cry: Er, um... Who??
:cry: Couldn't pull famous pianist names fast enough... Maybe I would have gotten this with "Think music".
:cry: Tulip and Turban from same root... Never woulda guessed.

Tough week in FJ's, though I think I did better than usual in the J! and DJ! rounds, for some reason.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Alex isn't a judge, but I got the impression his "pie" comment was authoritative, meaning it was on his card as acceptable. "The pie", perhaps, I mean if they're going to go away from the direct quote and all ... ;)
They've already gone away from the direct quote by accepting "pie". Now, I can understand -- although I still disagree with -- accepting it, because if it were a spoken response, you couldn't tell the difference. "The pie" should be counted wrong.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

econgator wrote: "The pie" should be counted wrong.
It qualifies under the initial "the" rule :) .
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

:D :D :D :( :(
:D :D :D

Another average week
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

No hope, not even a bluff, on the extrees. Knew Corday (which is an "audio" pig latin of "decor", sort of). Went with Redgraves, but upon reveal, realized I'd heard that trivia before. Missed the TOM on pi, but guessed pie anyway because of the "piece of..." word play.

As to the whole "should pie be accepted?" argument, I'm thinking this way: seriously-- do the writers really expect the players to know that headline? I think they saw it as a fair clue that's gettable from inference, but there's no way they could expect the players to have divined the headline-writer's intent. Both "pi" and "pie" work there as suggested by the rest of the headline. I'm thinking as long as the players gleaned that, the writers were happy.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Paucle wrote::mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

No hope, not even a bluff, on the extrees. Knew Corday (which is an "audio" pig latin of "decor", sort of). Went with Redgraves, but upon reveal, realized I'd heard that trivia before. Missed the TOM on pi, but guessed pie anyway because of the "piece of..." word play.

As to the whole "should pie be accepted?" argument, I'm thinking this way: seriously-- do the writers really expect the players to know that headline? I think they saw it as a fair clue that's gettable from inference, but there's no way they could expect the players to have divined the headline-writer's intent. Both "pi" and "pie" work there as suggested by the rest of the headline. I'm thinking as long as the players gleaned that, the writers were happy.
I believe the last time that exact cry arose from the boards was the last time a tough headline clue came up just over two years ago. (Was also a triple stumper and wound up on the "toughest FJs of the quarter" poll)

Myself, it didn't take me long to get the headline writer's intent: a pun! I'd gather that most of us who got "pi" did so because of the 14159265 in the clue and not from remembering the headline.

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:

Saved from devastation by a surprisingly super-easy FJ!
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Roadgeek Adam wrote: :D :D :D :( :(
:D :D :D

Another average week
Exact opposite here--call me Mada Keegdaor
:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mon: got stuck on chorus, went with harpsichord. Should have begun with ancient Greek instruments
Tue: Figured Samuel Johnson might have been a dean someplace academic
Wed: Have heard of Corday but her name wasn't accessible; went with the laughably bad Mme. DeFarge
Thu: Instaget, reinforced by the quiz Turd Ferguson cites above
Fri: Very happy to solve this about 10 seconds in, suggested by the wordplay and confirmed by the numbers
No shot on the boni. Fewest boxes checked ever.
In and out of the pool four times
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

:mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen:
:cry: :cry: :mrgreen:

Mon: went to the instruments first; weren't many I could associate with the ancients, and lyre was among the first to mind: snap
Tues: lost, and not helped by stupidly staying lost in the wrong century for most of the music
Wed: knew this immediately; penn, Mme DeBarge occurred to me in my doubt thinking the clue was too easy, but knew it didn't fit
Thurs: Redgraves came in a flash; then thought if it was them the clue might have said only not first; okay, Joan Fontaine and uh, her sister not named Fontaine, uh, Vivien Leigh?
Fri: got it only because I could think of no better ending for piece of; now that's coming in the back door.

Like Rackme, who? Went with Constantin
Um, no.
Had heard this one before. Insta, and surprised at the TS.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

andreaborn wrote: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No chance on Swift, since I was somehow in the 1800s instead of the 18th century (though I probably wouldn't have gotten to him anyway).
Same pattern for me.

And I was also in the wrong century, so negged with Tennyson. (I have made that 18th-c/1800s-type mistake before, too - just carelessness, so very frustrating!) Unclear whether I would have gotten Swift without the misdirection - the "Dean" TOM meant nothing to me, so it would have just been a lucky guess if I did.

Also negged with Olivia de Havilland/Vivien Leigh - knew the pair they were looking for, but jumped at the first names that entered my mind without thinking it through. If I had thought about it a bit more, I believe I would have realized Vivien Leigh was wrong, but I doubt that I could have pulled out Joan Fontaine instead (though I did know that particular factoid once upon a time).

Would never have come up with Queen Sofia.

I wrote "What is pie?" Obviously, I totally picked up on the number pattern TOM and meant "What is Pi?" but you see, Judges, I'm just a really, really bad speller and thought that was how the mathematical term was spelled. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it. And keeping the FJ! credit, too! :lol: )
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bumping the poll to make it easy to see how the 11/9/11 FJ! clue polled.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Does bold mean I got them last time? If so, I missed lyre (and did again just now) and the sisters (got them this time; must have gone with the Gishes before).

Among the extras, no way was I getting turban either time. I got the other two last time but didn't understand the "King of Queen" category this time.

I'm confident that anything covered by "(the) pi(e)" would have flown. I'm sure I said "the pi". Irrelevantly, I'd always thought the horse in National Velvet was "the pi" until I read the book, where it is "the piebald" throughout.
I'm smart and I want respect.