Monday, September 12, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: Monday, September 12, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by boson »

Category 13 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought the blaster quote was negbait for lightsaber, since Star Wars + weapon usually = lightsaber.
I never watched the movie, so I would have buzzed in and said what is lightsaber.
Sometimes you gotta watch the movie ti get questions about it.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Got it right, but found the Final "problematic."
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought the blaster quote was negbait for lightsaber, since Star Wars + weapon usually = lightsaber.
Actually, only the Jedi (including those that have fallen away) use lightsabres. The quote was uttered by Han, who was putting down the whole 'force' thing.

That being said, I missed it because I couldn't remember the exact word Han had used. I am pretty sure I got all the rest.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

I got the FJ instantly anyway, but wanted to ask, why is the "2004 disaster" bit a clue for Thailand? There were lots of countries hit by the tsunami, and Thailand was only the fourth-most affected.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

harrumph wrote:I will be checking the box in the weekly poll stating that I don't like the new category reveal sounds.

Isn't Phuket also an island on Uranus?
Ha! It was that sort of middle school humor that helped me get this FJ. I remembered that Phuket was in the same country as (snicker) Bangkok.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I agree. I got it right, but I was expecting someone to ring in with light saber.
chelseahannac
Contributor

Post by chelseahannac »

When I was in high school, we had to do little group presentations in Spanish class where we'd just have to translate little conversational bits. One time, the topic was "travel," and as my group sits there, waiting to go up, my friend gets a panicked look in his eye, points to the city in our conversation, which was Phuket, Thailand, and goes "Do you pronounce this like I think you pronounce this?!?!"

None of us know. We go up there, he says it exactly like you think he would, and our teacher starts laughing so hard he can't breathe.

And that's how I've never forgotten Phuket is in Thailand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:State Dept.- It mentioned a date in the 1700s and I think it also said foreign affairs. Kind of narrowed it down.
It did?
Yes it did. The very first clue of the season and you are already behind. Did the new clue popping music distract you that much?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ladyneedstoknow wrote:
Can someone give me a list of answers from the jeopardy category? The first set before the first commercial.
All the clues and answers will be here at some point: http://j-archive.com/showseason.php?season=33
Check in the next day or two.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ladyneedstoknow wrote:Hi I'm new!

I need some help!

My husband and I play competitively from home! Last night he was accusing me of cheating. I want to prove him wrong.

Can someone give me a list of answers from the jeopardy category? The first set before the first commercial.

I can't remember them on my own and if I just had them I can be like "look dude, I got these 5!" And he'll have to admit it.

We have our own scoring system so dollar values don't matter.

Thank you so much!!!
Hello! Welcome!

Several people on this site maintain an extensive database of the clues on the show going all the way back to the first episode at J! Archive. Keep in mind though it's run by volunteers and as of this writing they haven't had time to enter this episode yet. When you read this though it might be in, if not check later.

Hope you win this competition!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Picked Off wrote:Got it right, but found the Final "problematic."
How was it problematic?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

FJ was easy for fans of Lost.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

goforthetie wrote:I got the FJ instantly anyway, but wanted to ask, why is the "2004 disaster" bit a clue for Thailand? There were lots of countries hit by the tsunami, and Thailand was only the fourth-most affected.
I remember it being mentioned constantly mentioned during news coverage because it was a big tourist area. It seemed to be mentioned ad nauseum.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

corvo wrote:
goforthetie wrote:I got the FJ instantly anyway, but wanted to ask, why is the "2004 disaster" bit a clue for Thailand? There were lots of countries hit by the tsunami, and Thailand was only the fourth-most affected.
I remember it being mentioned constantly mentioned during news coverage because it was a big tourist area. It seemed to be mentioned ad nauseum.
^^ That. And, as a result, there was a lot of video footage from vacationers there for the news. Also, a lot of foreigners that died at that resort, so it drew a lot of attention in Europe.
https://youtu.be/k3_m3lACJOo
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

jarnon wrote:Babel and Babylon are the same place!
Perhaps, but the clue was a reference to the tower mentioned in the Old Testament, which is and always has been known as the Tower of Babel, not the Tower of Babylon. Sorry.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

John Boy wrote:
Perhaps, but the clue was a reference to the tower mentioned in the Old Testament, which is and always has been known as the Tower of Babel, not the Tower of Babylon. Sorry.
Although, the actual phrase "Tower of Babel" doesn't appear in the Old Testament. At least according to wikipedia. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
davey

Post by davey »

hbomb1947 wrote:
John Boy wrote:
Although, the actual phrase "Tower of Babel" doesn't appear in the Old Testament. At least according to wikipedia. :)
It's clear from the translations I looked at on bible gateway that it's the city where it was built that's the immediate referent to the name Babel - and the note to the verse in the New International Version states, "That is, Babylon."

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+11
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Lightsabers are the "ancient weapons" Han is mocking.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

corvo wrote:
That is exactly how I got FJ. The images of the tsunami were unforgettable to me.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It looks like I was wrong about KGO preempting this game entirely and showing the Tuesday game tonight. Now it looks like the Monday game will air tonight with the shift on moving the Friday game to early Saturday at 1:07 a.m.

I may not be able to do theFJguy post later in the week in a timely manner, so if an early bird wants at it then claim an early post in the daily thread then have at it. From there perhaps a moderator can work magic and put it in post 3? Thanks.