Tuesday, September 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7357, 2016-09-13

CONTESTANTS
Elizabeth Troyer, a pastor from Charlotte, North Carolina
André Hereford, a writer from Washington, D.C.
Annie Busiek, a copywriter from Chicago, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $21,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen and welcome again. Annie got our new season off to a great start yesterday, winning a lot of money. André and Elizabeth, welcome aboard. I will warn you that Annie starts slowly but then builds up a momentum, and she came up with the correct response in Final Jeopardy! All of that is good news for her. Let's see how it works for you today. Here we go! The Jeopardy! round is the first round of play. And today we have these categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STATE CAPITAL ATTRACTIONS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AFRICAN AMERICANS (3/4)
SPICES (5/5)
IN THE BASEBALL TEAM'S LINEUP (4/5)
ANIMAL NAMES (3/5)
I'M JUST A SAYING (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Elizabeth: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Annie: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
André: 5 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Elizabeth: $3,000
Annie: $1,000
André: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Elizabeth Troyer is a pastor from North Carolina. Now, Elizabeth, I know that you once dressed as a man so you could play the fife in a Civil War reenactment. But you were also made a knight. Tell me about that episode.

Elizabeth: Um, in West Virginia, every year eighth graders take a history test of West Virginia history--cool things that happened in our state. And if you win, you get knighted by the governor, and they give you a giant golden horseshoe. It hangs over my door.

Alex: And you still have this golden horseshoe?

Elizabeth: To this day. It's supposed to be good luck.

Alex: Well, I hope it is. We'll see.

Alex: André Hereford from Washington, DC. A writer. Yesterday in your position was a contestant who was really big in fast-pitch softball. You're into tennis.

André: Yeah.

Alex: How deeply into tennis are you?

André: Well, I play tennis. I talk sort of rabidly about it. I've been to the U.S. Open; I go to the City Open in DC. I hope I can win some money here and go to Wimbledon maybe.

Alex: Yeah.

Alex: Annie Busiek is a copywriter from Chicago who is our champion. We know you grow hot peppers. But at the opposite end of the scale, you also play something that is very gentle sounding, the dulcimer.

Annie: Ah, yes.

Alex: How'd you get into that?

Annie: The mountain dulcimer. I formerly played it. Maybe I'll pick it back up again someday. But uh, it was kind of a slow and boring winter, and I decided to pick up a new hobby, which I stuck with for a couple--couple semesters of the class. Until--I don't know if you've ever hauled a mountain dulcimer around the El in Chicago in February, but it can be kind of a process.

Alex: Yeah, I would think. Okay, let's get right back into this. Elizabeth is in command of the board, so she picks our next clue.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Elizabeth found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Annie had $1,000, André was in the red with -$200, and Elizabeth was at $3,000. Elizabeth wagered $1,500.

STATE CAPITAL ATTRACTIONS $800: Bufflao Trace Distillery, Daniel Boone burial site
(Elizabeth: What is Franklin?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IN THE BASEBALL TEAM'S LINEUP $800: 1906: Charley O'Leary, Pinky Lindsay & here's one who might help a bit... Ty Cobb

ANIMAL NAMES $200: This animal got its name because it was originally thought to be a hybrid of a lion & a panther
(André: What is a mountain lion?)
(Elizabeth: What is a jaguar?)
(Annie: What is a liger?)

I'M JUST A SAYING $200: Deal with things as they are-- do this "or lump it"

STATE CAPITAL ATTRACTIONS $600: First State Heritage Park, Silver Lake
(André: What is Delaware?)

AFRICAN AMERICANS $200: In 1953 this Nation of Islam leader founded & was the minister of Boston Temple No. 11
(André: Who is Elijah Muhammad?)
(Elizabeth: Who is Farrakhan?)

I'M JUST A SAYING $1000: "All cats are gray" under this condition means beauty isn't so important

ANIMAL NAMES $1000: This hoofed animal of the far north is named for the odor produced by glands beneath its eyes

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Elizabeth: $4,100
Annie: $2,600
André: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SUDAN IMPACT (2/4)
DANCE! (4/5)
NUMERICAL LIT (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE "RED" ZONE (5/5)
GAME SHOWS IN THE MOVIES (5/5)
I'M NOT JUST SAYING (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Elizabeth: 10 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Annie: 6 R, 0 W
André: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Elizabeth snagged the next Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Annie had $8,200, André had $8,600, and Elizabeth was at $7,300. Elizabeth wagered $1,000.

NUMERICAL LIT $1600: This English thinker's "Two Treatises of Government" had a "key" influence on the Declaration of Independence

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Elizabeth who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Annie had $8,200, André had $8,600, and Elizabeth was at $10,700. Elizabeth wagered $2,000.

I'M NOT JUST SAYING $1200: This 2,400-year-old text begins, "I swear by Apollo the physician"
(Elizabeth: What is the Iliad?)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SUDAN IMPACT $800: This Ottoman viceroy of Egypt invaded Sudan in 1820; he stung like a bee & KO'd the sultan in 1821
(Elizabeth: Who is Muhammad?)

DANCE! $1600: The song "That's Amore" mentions this "gay" Italian dance

NUMERICAL LIT $1200: It's the number of "Splendid Suns" in the title of Khaled Hosseini's 2007 novel of Afghanistan

I'M NOT JUST SAYING $800: The book of Leviticus & the inscription on a certain bell say to "proclaim" this "throughout all the land"

I'M NOT JUST SAYING $1600: Bishop Clemens von Galen bravely denounced this Nazi secret police force in the 1941 "We demand justice" sermon
(André: What are the SS?)

SUDAN IMPACT $2000: In 1940 this nation's troops invaded Sudan from Ethiopia; they were kicked out in 1941
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Annie: $10,200
Elizabeth: $8,700
André: $7,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY MILITARY MEN

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Annie: Wager $7,201 to cover Elizabeth.
Elizabeth: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover André, hoping that you give the correct response and Annie doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $5,301 to cover André's doubled score, but no more than $5,700 if you want to top Annie on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $1,699 and win if both Annie and André miss Final.
André: You ought to try wagering between $1,701 and $3,600. This will top a $0 wager by Elizabeth while still beating Annie and Elizabeth on the Triple Stumper (should Annie wager to cover Elizabeth's doubled score and Elizabeth wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1895 he wrote to his family that with "superhuman strength" he would "discover the truth... on the tragic affair"

FINAL SCORES
André: $7,000 - $7,000 = $0 (Who is T. Roosevelt) (3rd place)
Elizabeth: $8,700 - $5,301 = $3,399 (Who is Teddy Roosevelt?) (New champion: $3,399)
Annie: $10,200 - $8,701 = $1,499 (Who is is Bismark) (2nd place)
(Alex: [After revealing the correct response] The Dreyfus Affair in France.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Elizabeth: $12,800, 20 R (including 1 DD), 8 W (including 2 DDs)
Annie: $10,200, 12 R, 2 W
André: $7,000, 11 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $30,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Elizabeth: 20/61 = .328
Annie: 12/58 = .207
André: 11/58 = .190
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SPICES $200: Spanish for "little gourd", the guajillo is a mild type of these with a heat rating of 2,500-5,000 Scoville units
(Elizabeth: What is a pepper?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Elizabeth: What is a hot pepper?)

I'M JUST A SAYING $600: St. Paul was a big fan of this virtue, which, idiomatically, "begins at home"
(Annie: What is humility?)

ANIMAL NAMES $400: Sylvilagus palustris hefneri is, of course, a type of this animal
(André: What is a horse?)
(Elizabeth: What is a cow?)
(Alex: Yes, [*]. Hefneri. Hugh Hefner.)

ANIMAL NAMES $600: Floating in the waters off Majorca, you might find the fried egg this-- we don't suggest it for breakfast
(Alex: You are right, with a minute to go.)

AFRICAN AMERICANS $600: "How to Get Away with Murder" is but one part of her dominion as a TV writer-producer
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

THE "RED" ZONE $1600: In slang, it's what the dude seen here is totally doing

DANCE! $2000: This dance became popular in 1923 after inclusion in the Broadway musical "Runnin' Wild"
(Elizabeth: What is the quickstep?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Frankfort
the Detroit Tigers
a leopard
like it
Dover
Malcolm X
in the dark (or in the night)
muskox
Locke
the Hippocratic oath
Muhammad Ali
the gay tarantella
a thousand
liberty
the Gestapo
Italy
Alfred Dreyfus
a chili (pepper)
charity
a rabbit
a jellyfish
Shonda Rhimes
shredding
the Charleston
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY MILITARY MEN

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1895 he wrote to his family that with "superhuman strength" he would "discover the truth...on the tragic affair"

Correct response:
Spoiler
Who is Alfred Dreyfus? Andre and Elizabeth both said Teddy Roosevelt. Annie said Bismark

Andre Hereford: $7,000-$7,000=$0
Elizabeth Troyer: $8,700-$5,301= $3,399
Annie Busiek: $10,200-$8,701= $1,499

Elizabteh is now a 1-day champion with $3,399
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Like it or...lump it!??! I'm sure someone will be along with a dozen instances of the phrase that I've seen but just didn't notice, but it gets a huge "WTF" from me for now.

A Mets and Red Sox clue, no Yankees, and they didn't know who Ty Cobb played for? I hate you all, contestants, writers, ALL OF YOU :twisted:

After the 1600 Locke DD which saw fit to highlight the word "key", I was close to throwing my hands up in disgust when that Hippocratic oath DD was revealed (also wasn't happy with her DD wagers)...and then she missed it.

And then a TS on a FJ clue where the word "affair" felt like it was blinking in 50pt font. *shrug* At least 2nd place wagered properly. The 3rd place suicide wager made its S33 debut though.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

"Affair" for me led to either XYZ Affair (which was Adams ... who was not military ... and 18th century) or Dreyfus. Easy.
xxaaaxx wrote:Like it or...lump it!??! I'm sure someone will be along with a dozen instances of the phrase that I've seen but just didn't notice, but it gets a huge "WTF" from me for now.
I've been using that phrase for most of my life. Was surprised they didn't get it.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Thanks to the proliferation of Cable TV channels, I could only think of "Love it or List it". :p But yeah, that's not the common turn of phrase in my world either.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I could not resist watching the game more than 26 hours earlier than KGO will air it.

Elizabeth's miss on the Kentucky DD fooled me at first as I was concentrating on my scoresheet and thought she was negged for Frankfurt. I listened again and then heard Franklin for the no doubt neg. Frankfort is the Kentucky capital, but I can't imagine the judges insisting on the O sound and negging for saying it like the German city if that had happened.

I also the Locke DD off the work and laughed as I then caught the "key" TOM.

More categories like IN THE BASEBALL TEAM'S LINEUP and GAME SHOWS IN THE MOVIES, please.

The FJ! category had me thinking U.S. Presidents, Civil War guys and Santa Anna in case it was not a domestic guy. The clue had me needing a few seconds to get to the Dreyfus affair and then I went the wrong way on a Dawson Crossin' for Zola being torn for exactly which guy the clue was pointing towards. :twisted:
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

After all the bad guessing, I'm surprised Elizibeth was still in contention at the end of DJ. Let alone able to wager to cover 3rd place and still have a shot at a TS win. Good job with that perfect wager but I don't think your title defense is going to be long lived.
Andre could have easily won if he'd just wagered to cover a $0 bet from Anne by no more than $400.

Lach Trash: Tigers, Lump It, Dover, Malcom X, Liberty, Muhamed Ali and the missed DD Hypocratic Oath
Last edited by Category 13 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

MarkBarrett wrote:The clue had me needing a few seconds to get to the Dreyfus affair and then I went the wrong way on a Dawson Crossin' for Zola being torn for exactly which guy the clue was pointing towards. :twisted:
I hear you on the dilemma, but Zola was not a military man as far as I know. The clue did make it sound like it was somebody who was trying to exonerate Dreyfus, but I couldn't come up with any other name, so I just stuck with Dreyfus because WECIB.

A bit of an underwhelming game, I'm afraid. I was amazed that nobody got the correct answer when spotted "First State" and "state capital." Or "Liberty" when spotted something about a famous bell. The two DD misses (Franklin for the capital of Kentucky???) were head scratchers too. The FJ was just a fittingly anticlimactic conclusion to the whole thing.

I said "Ali" for the Sultan instead of "Muhammad Ali." I wonder if that would have gotten a BMS.
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

Good game for me. Ran IN THE BASEBALL TEAM'S LINEUP in the Jeopardy! Round. Almost ran GAME SHOWS IN THE MOVIES, but I clammed on Ralph Fiennes. :x

Fell for the schmuck bait in Final, saying Teddy Roosevelt.
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Terribad game for goats, a mere 35R but quite confident of win from 4th given scoring, even flailing around out of all my wheelhouses with instaget FJ (Affair >>> 19th C Military MEN >> Alfred Dreyfus (J'Acusse! Rescued by Emile Zola, you get this after you follow the show for about 3 years, just comes up over and over...) 8-)

LT: Lion + Panther > Leopard; All cats are Gray IN THE DARK; Leviticus > Liberty; Gestapo (recurs repeatedly, players always say "What's SS" and it's always incorrect!); European colonial power in Ethiopia 1940 >Sudan 1941: Italy. :ugeek:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

Ugh, I can't believe I missed that FJ. Even with affair mentioned. Sigh.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I didn't pick up on the "affair" TOM and floundered, guessing Bismarck as well.

I liked that "hot peppers" was not accepted as an answer and then Alex called them "hot peppers" during the Q&A section.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Slow start for the season.

Animals+ smell + high value is always going to be muskox. I missed this before on J, but not anymore.

I missed national lampoon family in SHC...so, it is timely today.

Seemed like Alex gave away the answer for Delaware clue and no chance for rebound.

What's with J's love of Dreyfuss? I immediately thought of Dreyfuss after seeing the category... but still was stumped. I was thinking of some great disaster. The wording didn't help.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: The FJ! category had me thinking U.S. Presidents, Civil War guys and Santa Anna in case it was not a domestic guy. The clue had me needing a few seconds to get to the Dreyfus affair and then I went the wrong way on a Dawson Crossin' for Zola being torn for exactly which guy the clue was pointing towards. :twisted:
My precalls also included, among others, Wellington, Napoleon, and Custer. And Lord Nelson, although I wasn't sure whether the word "military" ruled out naval men.

I got to the Dreyfus affair very quickly, but then wavered between Dreyfus and Zola (since Zola famously wrote about the affair and got to the bottom of it). The category name decided me in favor of the correct response, but I was nervous until Alex revealed that Dreyfus was in fact who they were going for.

Add me to the people who've never previously heard "like it or lump it."

The 'leopard" clue made sense in retrospect, but I feel like it was undervalued.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I want to learn to play the hammer dulcimer.

=====

Pepper -> chili pepper was a totally unnecessary BMS.

Didn't recognize any of those names in Baseball for $200. Or $400. Or $600. Or $800. Or $1,000.

I got the "leopard" clue, but I thought it was undervalued at $200. That, Frankfort, "gray in the dark" (remembered it from a previous game), and musk ox were my Lach Trash.

There's Beluga sturgeon too?! My only miss of the 4 animal clues we got.

NHO "like it or lump it", and given the stand and stare, I'm not alone. That was only miss in the category. Poll request?

WLT Albany or Malcolm X at $200?

No, I didn't get Nashville. Recording studio for some reason sidetracked me to Memphis because I was thinking Sun instead of RCA... which then froze me up since I knew it wasn't a capital.

====

Judges: matador for bull fighter?

Got the first 3 in Game Show, with Slumdog as precall.

NHO "seeing red" or "red ink".

Just "Muhammad" by itself is a time when they SHOULD have given a BMS.

WLT "Tibet" at $400?

Prayers can begin with decree/declare?!

How was "Liberty" a stand and stare with "bell"? Also got Lach Trash on that, Hippocratic Oath, and Gestapo.

====

No guess on FJ! NHO the correct response.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO "like it or lump it", and given the stand and stare, I'm not alone. That was only miss in the category. Poll request?
Seconded. I thought "like it or lump it" (and the related "if you don't like it, you can lump it") was very well known. But the anecdotal evidence isn't bearing that out. I'm curious to see the poll results.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33/58 right.

State (5), African-American (1), Spices (2), Baseball (5), Animal (1), Saying (1)
Sudan (4), Dance! (1), Lit (2), "RED" (4), Game (3), Just (4)

Lach Trash: Detroit Tigers, Dover, Muhammad Ali, Gestapo, Italy; DD: Frankfort, Hippocratic oath

"Military Men, 1895, Affair" Instaget FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

opusthepenguin wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO "like it or lump it", and given the stand and stare, I'm not alone. That was only miss in the category. Poll request?
Seconded. I thought "like it or lump it" (and the related "if you don't like it, you can lump it") was very well known. But the anecdotal evidence isn't bearing that out. I'm curious to see the poll results.
Thirded. I asked around; my friends had never heard it before, while my mom said they used it all the time "back in the day". Not exactly a scientific poll, but I wonder if it's regional/generational. Or maybe it's yet another phrase that it's possible to never encounter, despite being somewhat "common".
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I know the expression "like it or lump it" and have always hated it. What the heck does it mean to lump something, anyway?