Monday, September 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7361, 2016-09-19

Seth Wilson game 1.

WE ASKED: L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti.

CONTESTANTS
Seth Wilson, a Ph.D. candidate from Chicago, Illinois
Dorcas Alexander, an analytics consultant from Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
Siddharth Hariharan, a student from Herndon, Virginia (whose 2-day cash winnings total $28,135)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for tuning us in once again as we start another exciting week of competition here on Jeopardy! Always a good champion coming back to play and two good challengers. Today, Dorcas and Seth. Welcome aboard. Let's see how well you guys do against the champ. Here we go. The categories in this first round of play today are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GEORGE CLOONEY FILM ROLES (5/5) (Alex: You have to identify the motion picture.)
BODY LANGUAGE (5/5)
COLLEGE FIRSTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OFFICE SUPPLYING (2/5) (Alex: Name the maker of the product for us.)
YOUNG ADULT NOVELS (4/5)
MAYOR GARCETTI'S LOS ANGELES (3/5) (Eric Garcetti: I'm Eric Garcetti, the 42nd mayor of Los Angeles, with clues about our great city.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Seth: 17 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Dorcas: 4 R, 0 W
Siddharth: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Seth found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Siddharth had no money, Dorcas was scoreless, and Seth was at $4,200. Seth wagered $2,000.

COLLEGE FIRSTS $800: In 1971 he became the first president to establish his library on a college campus

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Seth: $8,400
Dorcas: $1,000
Siddharth: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Seth Wilson is a Ph.D. candidate from Chicago. Ph.D. studies in what?

Seth: Uh, theater and performance studies.

Alex: All right. Now some of your friends like to make fun of you...

Seth: Mm-hmm.

Alex: ...because they say you have a unique laugh.

Seth: Yes.

Alex: What is that?

Seth: Uh, they call it--uh, when I get really tickled, I have a very loud, unusual laugh, I guess. And they call it "breaking the pig". My friend...

[Laughter]

Seth: My friend, Jeff, one night in college after a few cocktails, said I sounded like a broken pig when I'm really laughing, and, uh, the nickname sort of stuck. And so now there's a competition whenever we all get together to see who can break the pig first.

Alex: Oh, okay. Well, that's nice to know. Thank you.

Seth: Thank you.

Alex: Dorcas Alexander is from Bethel Park, Pennsylvania. Now you must have felt really special once because I heard that you were late for a flight, and you were told, "Don't worry, we're going to hold the plane for you." Tell us about that.

Dorcas: Yeah, that's right. So I had stayed up all night, uh, writing my last college final, and a friend drove me to the airport. I ran into the terminal and said, "Oh, my gosh, did I miss my plane?" And they said, "No, we're waiting for you." And I said, "What?" And they took me out to this little 2-seater plane. I sat next to the pilot, and then he got out and spun the prop to start the plane.

Alex: Oh, boy.

[Laughter]

Alex: All right.

Alex: Siddarth Hariharan from Herndon, Virginia, is our champion. He is a student also, but he had an interesting kind of coffee in Indonesia, and there was a scene in the movie The Bucket List...

Siddarth: Yes.

Alex: ...about an interesting kind of coffee. Was it the same one?

Siddarth: One and the same, yeah. Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman had this coffee, and the interesting thing about it is that it was processed through the digestive system of the luwak, or civet in North America. It was pretty good. Can't complain.

[Laughter]

Alex: I'm sure it was. It's very expensive, also.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
YOUNG ADULT NOVELS $800: Liesel Meminger is sent to live with Hans & Rosa Hubermann in the town of Molching in this WWII-set novel

OFFICE SUPPLYING $400: The 4-color mini ballpoint pen

OFFICE SUPPLYING $600: Carla in human resources brought in this alliterative brand's Smirk & Wink doughnuts
(Seth: What is Dunkin'?)

OFFICE SUPPLYING $1000: "The world's best pencil"
[Alex holds up one of the pencils when announcing the response.]

MAYOR GARCETTI'S LOS ANGELES $400: (His Honor, the Mayor Eric Garcetti delivers the clue.) The Hollywood Sign was originally the Hollywoodland Sign, a $21,000 billboard in 1923, for this 2-word type of development owned by the publisher of the L.A. Times

MAYOR GARCETTI'S LOS ANGELES $1000: (His Honor, the Mayor Eric Garcetti delivers the clue.) Between 1921 & 1955 Italian immigrant Simon Rodia constructed a collection of 17 structures he called Nuestro Pueblo or "Our Town"; today, it's a National Historic Landmark known as this
(Alex: All right, that does it for our first round. Before we go into our commercial break, I want to take a moment to thank his Honor, the Mayor Eric Garcetti of Los Angeles, for doing all those clues. He did them particularly well, which is going to give our producers ideas, I fear. I'm going to talk to them during this break.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Seth: $10,200
Dorcas: $2,400
Siddharth: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, September 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YELL IT LIKE IT IS (4/4)
SCIENCE CLASS (5/5)
WHAT A COUNTRY! (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DOUBLE "T" IN THE MIDDLE (5/5)
CARROT (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SCHTICK (3/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dorcas: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Siddharth: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Seth: 8 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dorcas snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Siddharth had $3,400, Dorcas had $4,400, and Seth was at $10,600. Dorcas made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,400.

WHAT A COUNTRY! $1200: Between Morocco & Tunisia, it's almost 3.5 times the size of Texas

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Seth who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Siddharth had $5,400, Dorcas had $14,800, and Seth was at $15,000. Seth wagered $2,500.

CARROT $800: Carrots are a great source of beta-carotene, which the human body turns into this vitamin
(Seth: What is B?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT A COUNTRY! $1600: Urdu you think you are? Mamnoon Hussain, president of this country where that's the official language
(Siddarth: What is Bangladesh?)

WHAT A COUNTRY! $2000: Directors like Mungiu & Puiu have made this Balkan nation one of the centers of 21st century filmmaking

CARROT $1200: This sliced carrot dish isn't named for being a puppet of the Nazis but for being cooked in the water of a French city's spa
(Seth: What is vichyssoise?)

SCHTICK $2000: To the command "Your money or your life", this comic paused, then responded, "I'm thinking"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dorcas: $16,800
Seth: $14,900
Siddharth: $7,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Dorcas: Wager $13,001 to cover Seth.
Seth: Try wagering $899, which is as much as you can put up against Dorcas without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Siddharth.
Siddharth: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Seth, but if Seth decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $3,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1948 he wrote he had an idea for a novel in which 2 guys hitchhike to California "in search of something they don't really find"

FINAL SCORES
Siddharth: $7,000 + $2,000 = $9,000 (Who is Kerouac?) (2nd place)
Seth: $14,900 + $14,900 = $29,800 (Who is Kerouac?) (New champion: $29,800)
Dorcas: $16,800 - $13,001 = $3,799 (Who is Steinbeck?) (3rd place)
(Alex: [To Siddarth] [*], On the Road was the novel.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Seth: $16,200, 25 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Dorcas: $13,600, 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Siddharth: $7,000, 9 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $36,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Seth: 26/60 = .433
Dorcas: 13/59 = .220
Siddharth: 10/58 = .172
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GEORGE CLOONEY FILM ROLES $200: CIA agent Bob Barnes, who has experience in the Middle East
(Alex: You know your George Clooney films.)
[Applause for Seth's run of the category]

COLLEGE FIRSTS $1000: The "elevation of female character" was J.J. Shipherd's goal when he made this "O" school in Ohio the first coed U.S. college
[Alex reads "J.J." as "John Jay".]

MAYOR GARCETTI'S LOS ANGELES $200: (His Honor, the Mayor Eric Garcetti delivers the clue.) Just north of Hollywood & Vine, the studios at Capitol Records have been used by Frank Sinatra, Green Day, Sam Smith & this band, who recorded their "Surfin' Safari" album in the tower

MAYOR GARCETTI'S LOS ANGELES $600: (His Honor, the Mayor Eric Garcetti delivers the clue.) Using the term "California romanza" to mean "freedom to make one's own form", this 3-named architect's first L.A. project, Hollyhock House, was completed in 1921

MAYOR GARCETTI'S LOS ANGELES $800: (His Honor, the Mayor Eric Garcetti delivers the clue.) At L.A.'s Griffith Observatory, the Astronomers Monument features 6 giants of the field: Hipparchus, Copernicus, Kepler, Newton, Herschel & this Italian genius

YELL IT LIKE IT IS $1200: In a 1920 speech this Russian leader made his position clear--"We shall not hesitate to shoot thousands of people!"
(Seth: Who is Stalin?)

SCIENCE CLASS $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew drops an egg and it goes "splat".) To calculate the speed of a falling egg from a resting position, use V = G x T, where T is time, G is the acceleration of gravity, measured at 32 feet per second squared, & V stands for this

SCIENCE CLASS $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew demonstrates with Sarah standing far in the background.) Abbreviated F.P., this optical illusion makes for some very odd visual-size relationships

CORRECT RESPONSES
Johnson (LBJ)
The Book Thief
Bic
Krispy Kreme
Dixon Ticonderoga
real estate
the Watts Towers
Algeria
vitamin A
Pakistan
Romania
Vichy
Jack Benny
Jack Kerouac
Syriana
Oberlin
the Beach Boys
Frank Lloyd Wright
Galileo
Lenin
velocity
forced perspective
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1948 he wrote he had an idea for a novel in which 2 guys hitchhike to California "in search of something they don’t really find"

Siddharth Hariharan: 7000+2000=9000
Dorcas Alexander: 16800-13001=3799
Seth Wilson: 14900+14900=29800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jack Kerouac (Dorcas – Steinbeck)

Daily Doubles
Seth: 4200+2000
Dorcas: 4400+4400
Seth: 15000-2500

Coryats
Siddharth: 7000
Dorcas: 13600
Seth: 16200

Combined: 36,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"O Brother, Where Art Thou?" was the only title I even recognized, much less got, in Clooney.

"Syriana" struck me as really undervalued at $200.

Surprised at the stand and stares on Bic, Krispy Kreme, and Ticonderoga, but then again I completely spaced on Xerox and ended up with an "all but $200" moment.

"Real estate" was "simple"?!?

For some reason I suddenly felt really tired during DJ! and my brain just clocked out. I was so fatigued that when FJ! came up, I honestly forgot that DJ! had already been played.

No guess on FJ! Kerouac always eludes me when I need him. This is like the third time I've failed to get him.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Syriana" struck me as really undervalued at $200.
I saw the movie so I got this one, but I agree with you that it was undervalued.

I wasn't 100% sure on Kerouac, but it was my first and only instinct.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Real estate" was "simple"?!?
That clue was odd. Surely they could have come up with something better (and, no, I didn't get it either).

Started with Kerouac and stayed there, eve though I did ponder Hunter S. Thompson.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

Ditto on "Syriana!" Never thought I'd see Mungiu in a Jeopardy clue but that was awesome. Hoping for clues like that when I tape . . .
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Real estate" was "simple"?!?
That clue was odd. Surely they could have come up with something better (and, no, I didn't get it either).

Started with Kerouac and stayed there, eve though I did ponder Hunter S. Thompson.
I knew it was housing, but with two-word in the clue I had a swing and a miss with trailer park.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

INstaget FJ. Odd boards; only took 37 clues. LT: The Book Thief; Bic; Ticonderoga; "Real Estate"; Urdu >Pakistan; NO get on "Romania >Film production?!" Who Knew!?!

Our new champ will not last long if he continues to bet the farm on FJ, a practice which eventually leads to a null score... :(
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Would just 'Ticonderoga" be acceptable for Dixon Ticonderoga?

I said Watts sculpture instead of Watts Towers. Judges?

I definitely negged with "gall" for cheek. It might have fit if the clue hadn't been pinned to a quote with "cheek" in it.

I thought the "carrot" DD (beta carotene) was undervalued at $800, but maybe I'm just ignorant about vitamins.

On FJ, Kerouac was my first thought. I briefly considered Steinbeck, but was pretty sure that his traveling companion, Charley, was a dog rather than another human being, and that their journey didn't involve hitchhiking.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I considered Steinbeck but stayed on the right road for FJ.

Second had third locked out but bet it all and won the game. That proves it was the right thing to do.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Wow, Siddharth was locked out of both 1st and 2nd place yet still would have won agaIn, if Seth had failed to come up with the correct auther. But alas, Kerouac was a rather easy get for the average contestant.

Seth really looked strong through the J round, but then he fizzled out while Dorcas steadily built her score to out match him. Too bad she had to wager so much to make the cover bet, then missed an easy Final. I think she could have been ToC material in another universe.

It will be interesting to see whether Seth continues with the reckless FJ wagering.
Last edited by Category 13 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Who else got "mirepoix" and the FJ clue after missing them in LL69?
Either this season has started off much easier or I'm getting better. I think it's the former. This is the second time this season I've put up $35k, but for all I know, I'll get under $20k later this week.
Hoping for a third lap
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

goatman wrote: Our new champ will not last long if he continues to bet the farm on FJ, a practice which eventually leads to a null score... :(
Normally I wouldn't do that, either. However, if you watch his play, he was supremely confident when it came to literature. (As I would be too on the show)

I was more annoyed at his two awful DD bets coupled with him not spending a bit more time to think of the answer on the second one.

Anyways, I think I blanked on more clues in this game than I normally do in at least 3 whole games. Only got LT of The Book Thief and Bic.

First name that popped into mind while Alex was reading was "Douglas Adams", but I then realized he was born around that time, and changed it to Jack Kerouac with 3 seconds after it was read.
hbomb1947 wrote:I briefly considered Steinbeck, but was pretty sure that his traveling companion, Charley, was a dog rather than another human being, and that their journey didn't involve hitchhiking.
Exactly what I told the person sitting next to me. Not to mention it was written two decades later than 1948, and there would have been no reason for Steinbeck to delay it so much.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OSXpert wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Syriana" struck me as really undervalued at $200.
I saw the movie so I got this one, but I agree with you that it was undervalued.
+1
The valuing did not matter to Seth who opened with that impressive run.
Looking at the three players I figured the Jack Benny clue was a stumper as I rang in to collect the trash. I was pleased the category played well otherwise with Laugh-In, Bob Hope and Abbott & Costello all hit. My guess for the unplayed $400?

Henny Youngman: "Take my wife...please."
2nd choice? Red Buttons: "Never got a dinner."

Kerouac for me on the FJ! clue with the pen immediately down although I did spend the other 28 seconds making sure it could not be Steinbeck.

The Archive shows tonight's Dorcas to be the first contestant with that name. I was surprised to the see the other hits for Dorcas with the Salem witch trials, a gazelle and the movie Seven Brides for .... with no hits for the woman in the New Testament yet which is when I first heard the name years ago in Bible class.

Seth opened and closed well, so his DD under wager and DD miss on the vitamin's letter matter little now.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Wow, Seth was an absolute beast with that signaling device! I thought it was going to be a lock for him, but his weakness showed in the Double Jeopardy! round, which was pretty rough for him. He seems like he has the potential to get a lot of wins under his belt on how fast he can ring in, but I'm just not sure.

The donut clue obviously had to be either Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme, even having no idea what that donut was, so I was surprised no one went for what almost assuredly had to have been right once someone guessed Dunkin Donuts.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Archive shows tonight's Dorcas to be the first contestant with that name. I was surprised to the see the other hits for Dorcas with the Salem witch trials, a gazelle and the movie Seven Brides for .... with no hits for the woman in the New Testament yet which is when I first heard the name years ago in Bible class.
So there were two Biblical named contestants in this game.
I'd also guess Siddharth is the first J! contestant with that name.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

These boards played very tough for me, but FJ made up for it a bit.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i have never met nor have i ever known anyone named "dorcas."
the only literary character i remember as having that name was one of jubal harshaw's three secretaries in heinlein's "stranger in a strange land." dorcas, together with anne and miriam, were three early followers of michael valentine smith, and she eventually learned to touch-type in martian.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

alan tiger wrote:i have never met nor have i ever known anyone named "dorcas."
the only literary character i remember as having that name was one of jubal harshaw's three secretaries in heinlein's "stranger in a strange land." dorcas, together with anne and miriam, were three early followers of michael valentine smith, and she eventually learned to touch-type in martian.
Good call! I knew I had come across that name somewhere in Heinlein's work.

Also, I wonder if Siddharth is regretting when you he decided to audition for Jeopardy? He was a 2-day, $28k champion, but he is also a young student with many holes/weaker areas in his quiz knowledge.

With just one additional year of serious study, he could potentially have been a six-figure superchampion.