Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:52 pm

Bamaman wrote:
SpoilerShow
Using that logic, Japan makes sense, but the population is way too high.
SpoilerShow
EVEN using that logic, Japan makes no sense. Who exactly was carpet-bombing them during WW2 that they needed so many shelters? No one. And no, two atomic bombs are not carpet bombing, and they came at the very end of the war forcing surrender anyways, so there was no time to build more.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5137
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:43 pm

IronNeck wrote:
SpoilerShow
EVEN using that logic, Japan makes no sense. Who exactly was carpet-bombing them during WW2 that they needed so many shelters? No one. And no, two atomic bombs are not carpet bombing, and they came at the very end of the war forcing surrender anyways, so there was no time to build more.
SpoilerShow
Um, we were? Including firebombing Japanese cities?

E.g.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raids_on_Japan

And yeah, Japan has a lot more than 9 million people.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6832
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:11 pm

WooWho? wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Julie: I've added a line on your Archive page to reflect your appearance on the show: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7936
I hate to be the one screaming for attention, Mark, but...could I get one too? :P http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6740
I'm not sure which airdate you typically use, but they're both listed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qjHOXFBQEs

While I'm at it, this guy needs one too: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9242
Done and done plus I put in a place saver line for the J! champ on today's 2/23 ep. as well.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6832
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:51 pm

The 2/23 episode picked up with K.B. Lindsey returning for this question:
SpoilerShow
$20,000 as he used his last lifeline.
Image
Next:
SpoilerShow
He locked in 2.5
Next:
SpoilerShow
$30,000
Image
Next :
SpoilerShow
K.B. worked through the options and locked in South Africa as his final answer.
Next:
SpoilerShow
$50,000
Image
Next:
SpoilerShow
Image
Next:
SpoilerShow
Beau Henson: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7743
$10,000
Image
Beau had previously made it through his first six questions without a lifeline.
Next:
SpoilerShow
Beau did 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9=45 to end the show and he will return tomorrow with all of his lifelines remaining to pick up play going for $20,000.

User avatar
Vermonter
2003 College Champion
Posts: 1872
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vermonter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Bamaman wrote:
SpoilerShow
Oscars are my weak spot but I got this one. I figures one had got one for song and Halle Berry was a Best Actress. Wasn't sure about supporting actor, but figured a black winning director would have big news. I think a woman recently won that for the first time. They seemed to know it, but if you aren't sure, just bank the money and leave. He is a school teacher and looked young, so he probably could use the money and felt it wasn't worth the risk.
SpoilerShow
You have to be really, really, really risk averse to walk on that question – at worst a 50/50 shot to make $10k (and see another question) against losing $5k. To each his own, but it doesn't make for very compelling television.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

User avatar
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler
Posts: 2284
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 am

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:22 pm

WooWho? wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Julie: I've added a line on your Archive page to reflect your appearance on the show: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7936
I hate to be the one screaming for attention, Mark, but...could I get one too? :P http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6740
I'm not sure which airdate you typically use, but they're both listed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qjHOXFBQEs

While I'm at it, this guy needs one too: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9242
And while Josh is at it, could you please change my Archive page as well? $1000 on Millionaire on September 18 and 19, 2014, and $30,000 for Second Chance Week on November 10 and 11, 2015. Thanks!

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6832
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:28 pm

ElendilPickle wrote:
WooWho? wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Julie: I've added a line on your Archive page to reflect your appearance on the show: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7936
I hate to be the one screaming for attention, Mark, but...could I get one too? :P http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6740
I'm not sure which airdate you typically use, but they're both listed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qjHOXFBQEs

While I'm at it, this guy needs one too: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9242
And while Josh is at it, could you please change my Archive page as well? $1000 on Millionaire on September 18 and 19, 2014, and $30,000 for Second Chance Week on November 10 and 11, 2015. Thanks!
Look okay? http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=8138

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6832
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:55 pm

This post has every question from the 2/24/17 episode:
SpoilerShow
Image
Beau Henson (3x J! champ from 2012) was going for $20,000 with all lifelines remaining.
Next:
SpoilerShow
He locked in Shaq figuring out that was the 6-team guy.
Next:
SpoilerShow
$30,000
Image
Next:
SpoilerShow
Image
Next:
SpoilerShow
Beau was correct when he went with the audience choice of Hostess CupCakes.
$50,000
Image
Next:
SpoilerShow
No messing around, Beau was certain that Get chills was correct.
$ 100,000
Image
Next:
SpoilerShow
Image
Next:
SpoilerShow
Beau felt confident in locking in There's a lightning strike as the math and pace for population growth did not add up.
$250,000
Image
Next:
SpoilerShow
As happy as one could be at that level as Beau knew for sure to go with Mickey & Minnie Mouse
Next:
SpoilerShow
The rare look at a $500,000 question
Image
Beau's last lifeline was his friend from college.
Next:
SpoilerShow
They both thought it was likely going to be Beyonce.
Next:
SpoilerShow
They agreed that walking with $250,000 was the best move. Good thing since the correct answer was George W. Bush.
Comments in general:
SpoilerShow
Beau played a great game with gambles, knowledge and lifeline use capped off by knowing to walk with the big six figures payday. It was an excellent episode.

Thanks to the Archivist who updated Beau's J! bio page before I was able to get to it.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 6953
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:10 pm

I would have lost out on the dopamine question.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:53 pm

Fantastic job by Beau. However, I did think it was funny that him and his friend thought it was likely to be Beyonce for the $500k, since that was the only response I was absolutely certain was wrong.

Beyonce generates way less controversy or arguments than the other 3 and is nowhere near as big outside of the US. (Formerly being an active one myself, I know how many Wikipedia editors are outside the US)

User avatar
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 844
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:19 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by cheezguyty » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:28 pm

IronNeck wrote:
SpoilerShow
Fantastic job by Beau. However, I did think it was funny that him and his friend thought it was likely to be Beyonce for the $500k, since that was the only response I was absolutely certain was wrong.

Beyonce generates way less controversy or arguments than the other 3 and is nowhere near as big outside of the US. (Formerly being an active one myself, I know how many Wikipedia editors are outside the US)
SpoilerShow
The Beyoncé article had the second most edits among the four choices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =699555548

45,862 - George W. Bush
19,480 - Beyoncé
18,080 - Israel
14,907 - Harry Potter

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:59 pm

cheezguyty wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
SpoilerShow
Fantastic job by Beau. However, I did think it was funny that him and his friend thought it was likely to be Beyonce for the $500k, since that was the only response I was absolutely certain was wrong.

Beyonce generates way less controversy or arguments than the other 3 and is nowhere near as big outside of the US. (Formerly being an active one myself, I know how many Wikipedia editors are outside the US)
SpoilerShow
The Beyoncé article had the second most edits among the four choices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =699555548

45,862 - George W. Bush
19,480 - Beyoncé
18,080 - Israel
14,907 - Harry Potter
SpoilerShow
WOW. I wonder why that is? What accounts for THAT many edits? An unusually rabid fanbase?

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5101
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:19 am

IronNeck wrote:
cheezguyty wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
SpoilerShow
Fantastic job by Beau. However, I did think it was funny that him and his friend thought it was likely to be Beyonce for the $500k, since that was the only response I was absolutely certain was wrong.

Beyonce generates way less controversy or arguments than the other 3 and is nowhere near as big outside of the US. (Formerly being an active one myself, I know how many Wikipedia editors are outside the US)
SpoilerShow
The Beyoncé article had the second most edits among the four choices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =699555548

45,862 - George W. Bush
19,480 - Beyoncé
18,080 - Israel
14,907 - Harry Potter
SpoilerShow
WOW. I wonder why that is? What accounts for THAT many edits? An unusually rabid fanbase?
SpoilerShow
New to US politics are you?

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:24 am

Volante wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
cheezguyty wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
SpoilerShow
Fantastic job by Beau. However, I did think it was funny that him and his friend thought it was likely to be Beyonce for the $500k, since that was the only response I was absolutely certain was wrong.

Beyonce generates way less controversy or arguments than the other 3 and is nowhere near as big outside of the US. (Formerly being an active one myself, I know how many Wikipedia editors are outside the US)
SpoilerShow
The Beyoncé article had the second most edits among the four choices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =699555548

45,862 - George W. Bush
19,480 - Beyoncé
18,080 - Israel
14,907 - Harry Potter
SpoilerShow
WOW. I wonder why that is? What accounts for THAT many edits? An unusually rabid fanbase?
SpoilerShow
New to US politics are you?
SpoilerShow
HAHA, the exact opposite with regards to US politics, in fact. :) No, my question was regarding Beyonce's unusually high number of edits. More edits than Israel?!?!? Is there some factor I'm missing with regards to her? I know she that she has been a pop megastar for a long time, with a few controversies, but I wouldn't expect her to be the 2nd most edited Wikipedia page, or even the 20th.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5101
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:36 am

IronNeck wrote:
SpoilerShow
HAHA, the exact opposite with regards to US politics, in fact. :) No, my question was regarding Beyonce's unusually high number of edits. More edits than Israel?!?!? Is there some factor I'm missing with regards to her? I know she that she has been a pop megastar for a long time, with a few controversies, but I wouldn't expect her to be the 2nd most edited Wikipedia page, or even the 20th.
SpoilerShow
Ironically, as far as the question is concerned, Wikipedia has Israel ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... y#extended ) under higher edit protection than Beyonce ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... olicy#semi ).

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:50 am

Volante wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
SpoilerShow
HAHA, the exact opposite with regards to US politics, in fact. :) No, my question was regarding Beyonce's unusually high number of edits. More edits than Israel?!?!? Is there some factor I'm missing with regards to her? I know she that she has been a pop megastar for a long time, with a few controversies, but I wouldn't expect her to be the 2nd most edited Wikipedia page, or even the 20th.
SpoilerShow
Ironically, as far as the question is concerned, Wikipedia has Israel ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... y#extended ) under higher edit protection than Beyonce ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... olicy#semi ).
SpoilerShow
That's not surprising at all. And likely why Israel has fewer edits than Beyonce, since far, far fewer editors have permission to make changes.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4112
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:47 am

Note that no one said that Beyonce was the 2nd most edited page, simply that it was second highest of the 4 choices used on the show.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:53 am

jeff6286 wrote:Note that no one said that Beyonce was the 2nd most edited page, simply that it was second highest of the 4 choices used on the show.
Good point, but still, what gives? Anyone know?

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4112
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:59 am

IronNeck wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Note that no one said that Beyonce was the 2nd most edited page, simply that it was second highest of the 4 choices used on the show.
Good point, but still, what gives? Anyone know?
Like I said, the number on Beyonce is not particularly notable, it's just that the show chose to make it an option. Using the list linked above by cheezguyty, other pages in the same ballpark include the Beatles, American Idol, Led Zeppelin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Playstation 3, Wii. That list is clogged with lots of Wikipedia Talk and template pages, but it looks like the second highest number, after George W, is "List of WWE Personnel."

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8258
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:10 pm

My thought was Harry Potter, because of the books and movies would require a number of updates. But looking back, that was a bad guess as Harry Potter doesn't do anything other than what J.K. Rowling tells him to do.

Beyoncé sounded like a rather random person to put up there. I don't know that much about her (I'm not a big music person), but she seems less controversial (or newsworthy) than Madonna or Lady Gaga.

But it seems like a country like Israel would have limits on who could edit it to keep extremist nutjobs at bay. The same would seem to be true for the president, regardless of political affiliation.

I will say the guy got very lucky they asked about the cartoon voices who got married as that is impossible to get unless you know it or know who voiced any of the eight characters mentioned.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 23 guests