Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2016-17 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by IronNeck »

Good job on the 1986 PhD question; had no clue on that one.

As a math guy, I don't hate your decision to walk away. It completely depends on your valuations of the money and how risk-averse you are. I would have went for it, but there are assumptions under which walking away is the logical choice.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

seaborgium wrote:
kprather895 wrote:
Spoiler
Assuming j-archive is correct about your Jeopardy winnings, you are now the third person to break six figures on both Jeopardy and Millionaire, joining Bill MacDonald and Ken Jennings.
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=5027
I stand corrected! Last time we discussed this, his name didn't come up.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

Bamaman wrote:Retro good luck tomorrow!!!
Sorry I didn't respond to this right away. I didn't want to get all spoiler-y about the "tomorrow" thing. But thank you!
alietr wrote:Congratulations on the awesome payday, Jeff! I haven't really been watching this season, but I'm guessing that's among the top amount won this year.
Thank you. I think there have been two $250ks and at least one other $100k. I was very happy (and lucky) to end up where I did.
ElendilPickle wrote:My DVR failed to record today's show. :x Congratulations, Jeff!
Thank you! Sorry you missed today though.
Johnblue wrote:I wish I'd been your plus 1! I was pretty sure it was rabbit from somewhere in the corners of my mind. Good run anyway!
Well, I wish I had known that answer myself. Second best would have been for Alex to know it. But I don't wish I had had a different plus one. Alex was great. You spend so much time "on deck" in this game: two long, long days in green rooms and holding rooms. So of course you both hope for that deus ex machina moment where the plus one saves the day, but much of the value of the plus one is just whether he/she is a calming, reassuring, supportive influence during all of the waiting. Mine was, and I am grateful.

I am no less grateful to WinchellFactor for being a most excellent plus one booking agent.
Last edited by RichmondJ on Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

RichmondJ wrote: ...I think there have been two $250ks and at least one other $100k..
9/28-29: Bill Matheny - $250,000
10/31-11/1: (Hometown Heroes) Alex Scarlatos, Spencer Stone, & Anthony Sadler - $250,000
11/14-15 (Whiz Kids) Sojas Wagle - $250,000
12/15-16: Jeff Richmond - $100,000

Jeff: Did your second episode air in its entirety in your market?

You did quite well and both times it happened to be questions in the movie field that made you use your lifelines.

I have updated your J-Archive page (as well as the one for Michael Rankins) to include your appearances this month.

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=339

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=293
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

MarkBarrett wrote:9/28-29: Bill Matheny - $250,000
10/31-11/1: (Hometown Heroes) Alex Scarlatos, Spencer Stone, & Anthony Sadler - $250,000
11/14-15 (Whiz Kids) Sojas Wagle - $250,000
12/15-16: Jeff Richmond - $100,000

Jeff: Did your second episode air in its entirety in your market?

You did quite well and both times it happened to be questions in the movie field that made you use your lifelines.

I have updated your J-Archive page (as well as the one for Michael Rankins) to include your appearances this month.

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=339

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=293
Thanks. I had missed the Whiz Kids contestant. I was out of town that week and missed some episodes. I definitely remember the others; both Fr. Matheny and the Thalys train heroes were great television and deserved every penny.

Yes, my second episode did air in its entirety - not on KABC at 1 pm, but on KDOC at 5 pm. Fortunately we have two stations that carry the show.

It's no secret that pop culture, including film, is my Achilles heel. In fact that is what kept me from trying out for Millionaire back in its heyday. Even with lifelines, given the range of topics they had, I didn't think I could get very far in a one-and-done format. (In this game I wouldn't even have gotten the $500 McFly question on my own if I hadn't known that the other 3 things were McDonald's menu items.) :oops:

Such continued appreciation for all you do to capture, organize, & preserve the rush of information that makes our community.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

kprather895 wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
kprather895 wrote:
Spoiler
Assuming j-archive is correct about your Jeopardy winnings, you are now the third person to break six figures on both Jeopardy and Millionaire, joining Bill MacDonald and Ken Jennings.
Forgetting Pastor Dave?!? That's a sin!
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

alietr wrote:
kprather895 wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
kprather895 wrote:
Spoiler
Forgetting Pastor Dave?!? That's a sin!
I am truly sorry, and humbly repent. In your compassion, forgive me my sins, known and unknown, stats I have documented, and stats I have failed to document.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:
RichmondJ wrote:
Spoiler
Well, let me be the first to admit that my decision to walk in that situation was an epic failure of quantitative discipline. Because I had used the 50/50, it was a coin flip, but one on which the upside of being right was more than three times the downside of being wrong. I can't explain why I failed to see that in the moment. My only consolation, in hindsight, is that I would have guessed wrong. Guessing would have cost me $50k. But that doesn't mean I was right to walk. Just lucky.
I don't really need to spoilerize in this thread, but ...
Spoiler
Yeah, that surprised me. The expected value of guessing was $50k (plus the look at the $500k). And you had quant jock Alex standing right next to you! I was sure he was going to bring that up!

I would have done exactly what you did. I got up through the $100k right, and would have said beaver if it came down to a guess. The funny thing is I just last week read the Wikipedia article on King Kong, and it didn't mention what kind of fur was used. There was almost no way to actually know that one and no TOM at all.

Congratulations on the awesome payday, Jeff! I haven't really been watching this season, but I'm guessing that's among the top amount won this year.
I would have went with the same answer you did.

Well done, Jeff!
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

RichmondJ wrote:I am no less grateful to WinchellFactor for being a most excellent plus one booking agent.
I must credit my wife with the idea of hooking the two of you up in the first place, but making that connection certainly gave me all kinds of pleasure.

And, yeah, Alex is nothing if not calming. Well, that's not true. He's also an awesome game-player, and kind of a stone-cold killer. But you can tell that afterward, he feels kind of bad about killing you.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote:
alietr wrote:
RichmondJ wrote:
Spoiler
Well, let me be the first to admit that my decision to walk in that situation was an epic failure of quantitative discipline. Because I had used the 50/50, it was a coin flip, but one on which the upside of being right was more than three times the downside of being wrong. I can't explain why I failed to see that in the moment. My only consolation, in hindsight, is that I would have guessed wrong. Guessing would have cost me $50k. But that doesn't mean I was right to walk. Just lucky.
I don't really need to spoilerize in this thread, but ...
Spoiler
Yeah, that surprised me. The expected value of guessing was $50k (plus the look at the $500k). And you had quant jock Alex standing right next to you! I was sure he was going to bring that up!

I would have done exactly what you did. I got up through the $100k right, and would have said beaver if it came down to a guess. The funny thing is I just last week read the Wikipedia article on King Kong, and it didn't mention what kind of fur was used. There was almost no way to actually know that one and no TOM at all.

Congratulations on the awesome payday, Jeff! I haven't really been watching this season, but I'm guessing that's among the top amount won this year.
I would have went with the same answer you did.

Well done, Jeff!
My thought process on this was what would've been the cheapest for the film budget
Total game show career losings = $171,522
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

triviawayne wrote:My thought process on this was what would've been the cheapest for the film budget
My Mom: "It was the Depression, Jeff! I'm surprised they didn't use rat fur! Well, but then they probably got to eat the rabbits."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Darren Munk was on the 12/19 episode.

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=5438

http://www.learnedleague.com/profiles.php?munkd

This is the first question on which he used a lifeline:
Spoiler
$20,000
Next:
Spoiler
Darren used the 50:50 which left
A: Jamaica, Cuba, Puerto Rico
B: Great Britain, Ireland, Sicily
Next:
Spoiler
The correct answer was Great Britain, Ireland, Sicily.
Next:
Spoiler
$30,000
Next:
Spoiler
The correct answer was Albert Einstein and Darren mentioned he had studied people who changed their names.
Next:
Spoiler
$50,000
Next:
Spoiler
Darren talked about the choices before using the ATA and realized afterward how he may have influenced the audience.
Next:
Spoiler
The +1 was Ron, a member of an online trivia league.
Next:
Spoiler
Darren decided to walk with his $30,000 and he and Ron named "A: Blown over by wind" as their choice as a guess that did not count.
Next:
Spoiler
The correct answer was C: Rained on
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Spoiler
Heh, I knew it was C. on the last one, as it's the only responses that made even a remote amount of sense. The idea of substances hitting clouds and causing precipitation is an old one, and actually correct to some degree. The other choices are completely nonsensical.

As for the Albert Brooks one, I didn't know it cold, and confess to never having studied famous people who changed names, but Brooks is famously Jewish, and "Einstein" is the only Jewish surname of the four possible responses.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

IronNeck wrote:
Spoiler
Heh, I knew it was C. on the last one, as it's the only responses that made even a remote amount of sense. The idea of substances hitting clouds and causing precipitation is an old one, and actually correct to some degree. The other choices are completely nonsensical.
What's nonsensical about lightning? Volcanos cause it; fires cause it. Why couldn't a projectile? Yeah, unlikely, but hardly dismissable.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

And whether it's nonsensical or not means nothing in the context of the question. We're talking about somebody from 200 years ago trying to apply layman science. And the question asked about what he was hoping would happen, not what would really happen from a scientific point of view. So nothing could possibly be eliminated.

Just another typical non-trivia question thrown in the mix to stop a good player.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

alietr wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
Spoiler
What's nonsensical about lightning? Volcanos cause it; fires cause it. Why couldn't a projectile? Yeah, unlikely, but hardly dismissable.
Why would a projectile with no charge change the electric properties of clouds?

Okay, Napoleon and his men (many of whom were exceptionally well-educated in the sciences) didn't yet have Maxwell's laws, it's true, but science was reasonably advanced by the early 19th century.
Golf wrote:And whether it's nonsensical or not means nothing in the context of the question. We're talking about somebody from 200 years ago trying to apply layman science. And the question asked about what he was hoping would happen, not what would really happen from a scientific point of view. So nothing could possibly be eliminated.

Just another typical non-trivia question thrown in the mix to stop a good player.
I agree that it's a non-trivia question and far from a good one, but unlike some of the other questions meant to stop good players (like the dollar denomination one recently), one can reason it out to some degree.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It says "according to legend" so perhaps this is some old story of lore that we just aren't familiar with. I played it from this thread, but I got it right. I think I've heard a story somewhere of Native Americans shooting arrows into the clouds to produce rain, so Napoleon isn't the first to try it.

Lightning would have been my second guess. It doesn't really make sense to me, but I can see how someone might think they could cause it 200 years ago.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

"Ron from my trivia league" is one of the greatest players in the history of that trivia league. If they still had phone a friend and he's answering that from home, I just about guarantee you he nails it. Must've been spooked by the lights.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Nine time Jeopardy Champion and ToC winner Dan Pawson will be on "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" on January 20.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

georgespelvin wrote:Nine time Jeopardy Champion and ToC winner Dan Pawson will be on "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" on January 20.
I think it might not air in some markets.