Practice Test for This Week's Real Thing

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Practice Test for This Week's Real Thing

Post by Blue Lion »

This sample test is based on questions that have appeared on online tests over the past few years. Most of these are Jeopardy perennials; typically, however, 15 to 20 percent of each year's questions fall into the current events/pop culture category.

NOVELS BY CHARACTER. Ralph, Piggy, Jack Merridew.
Spoiler
Lord of the Flies.
GADGETS. The first generation of this popular Apple product was released in 2007.
Spoiler
iPhone.
#1 SINGLES. “Sorry” and “Love Yourself”, by this male artist, both topped the Billboard Hot 100 this year.
Spoiler
Justin Bieber.
POTENT POTABLES. The recipe for “Lynchburg Lemonade” calls for this brand of whiskey.
Spoiler
Jack Daniel’s.
THE EDITORIAL PAGE. An 1897 editorial in the New York Sun assured this little girl that “Yes…there is a Santa Claus”.
Spoiler
Virginia.
ANIMALS. This marsupial “from hell” is named after an island.
Spoiler
Tasmanian Devil.
TO THE MOON! This Galilean moon of Jupiter has a two-letter name.
Spoiler
Io.
POKER. The last hand this Old West folk hero played, aces and eights, is called the “Dead Man’s Hand”.
Spoiler
Wild Bill Hickok.
EPONYMS. This librarian developed a numbering system that is still widely used in public libraries.
Spoiler
(Melvil) Dewey.
RHYME TIME. A tax imposed on Corvette, Camaro, and Cruze autos.
Spoiler
Chevy levy.
THE SUPREME COURT. The Court has been one justice short since the death of this man in February.
Spoiler
(Antonin) Scalia.
AIRPORTS. Frederic Chopin Airport serves this European capital.
Spoiler
Warsaw.
PATRIOTIC TUNES. In 1895, a visit to Pikes Peak inspired Katherine Lee Bates to write this song.
Spoiler
“America the Beautiful”.
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAMERS. This 3-letter group “straight outta Compton” was inducted in 2016.
Spoiler
N.W.A.
THE PERIODIC TABLE. This element’s symbol comes from ferrum, the Latin word for it.
Spoiler
Iron.
DOWN BY THE RIVER. Three national capitals starting with "B"—Belgrade, Bratislava, and Budapest—are located on this river.
Spoiler
Danube.
FROM BOOK TO FILM. Emilia Clarke stars as a caregiver in the film adaptation of this 2012 Jojo Moyes novel.
Spoiler
Me Before You.
FAMOUS LAST WORDS. This Revolutionary War patriot said, “I regret that I have but one life to give to my country”.
Spoiler
(Nathan) Hale.
SHAKESPEARE’S TRAGEDIES. She was King Lear’s youngest daughter, and the only one of the three to stay loyal to him.
Spoiler
Cordelia.
THE NBA. The Golden State Warriors won a record 73 games in the regular season, but bowed to this team in the Finals.
Spoiler
Cleveland Cavaliers.
STATE NICKNAMES. It is the “Equality State.”
Spoiler
Wyoming.
ON BROADWAY. In July, Javier Munoz replaced Lin-Manuel Miranda as the lead in this Broadway hit.
Spoiler
Hamilton.
AFRICAN GEOGRAPHY. This desert covers much of Botswana and parts of Namibia and South Africa.
Spoiler
Kalahari.
FLOWERY VERSE. In Flanders Field, these flowers “blow beneath the crosses row on row”.
Spoiler
Poppies.
ARCHITECTS. This man designed Bilbao’s Guggenheim Museum and Seattle’s Experience Music Project.
Spoiler
(Frank) Gehry.
LATIN 101. This Roman general’s best-known work begins “Gaul, taken as a whole, is divided into three parts.”
Spoiler
Julius Caesar.
LAST NAME’S THE SAME. Governor of California, author of The Da Vinci Code, “Godfather of Soul”.
Spoiler
Brown.
THEY DIED IN 2016. This actor played Severus Snape in the Harry Potter series.
Spoiler
(Alan) Rickman.
CORPORATE MASCOTS. Peanuts’ “Snoopy” is the spokesdog for this insurance company.
Spoiler
MetLife.
“C” IN ASTRONOMY. This “division” between Saturn's A and B rings is caused by the gravitational pull of its moon Mimas.
Spoiler
Cassini.
SICKNESS AND HEALTH. The Epstein-Barr virus is a leading cause of this “kissing disease”.
Spoiler
Mononucleosis.
WORLD RELIGIONS. Kalki will be the last avatar of this Hindu god.
Spoiler
Vishnu.
HEADS OF STATE. Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the president of this country, survived a coup attempt this summer.
Spoiler
Turkey.
NUMBER, PLEASE. These three letters--in this order--spell out the Roman numerals for 509 and the French word for “ten”.
Spoiler
DIX.
PLANT PESTS. This Japanese plant has become an invasive species in the South.
Spoiler
Kudzu.
BEFORE AND AFTER. South Carolina’s senior senator becomes a key ingredient of a s'more.
Spoiler
Lindsay Graham cracker.
TV SERIES. This HBO fantasy series, now in its seventh season, is based on the novels of George R.R. Martin.
Spoiler
Game of Thrones.
SUPERHEROES. He’s the alter ego of Bruce Banner, a reclusive physicist.
Spoiler
The Hulk.
FRESH FRUIT. Baldwin, Winesap, and Northern Spy are varieties of this fruit.
Spoiler
Apple.
PHILOSOPHERS. The phrase “God is dead” is attributed to this philosopher, but was actually spoken by Zarathustra.
Spoiler
(Fredrich) Nietzsche.
BODY PARTS. Frontal, parietal, and occipital are lobes of this organ.
Spoiler
The brain.
MODERN ARTISTS. This American painter and printmaker is best known for his paintings of flags.
Spoiler
(Jasper) Johns.
MEDIEVAL LITERATURE. In The Divine Comedy, this woman guided Dante through the spheres of Heaven.
Spoiler
Beatrice (Portinari).
NATIONAL CAPITALS. Amman is the capital of this Middle Eastern country.
Spoiler
Jordan.
WAR IS HELL. This 5th century B.C. war was fought between Athens and an alliance headed by Sparta.
Spoiler
Peloponnesian War.
ACTORS. His portrayal of transgendered Maura Pfefferman has won him back-to-back Emmy Awards.
Spoiler
(Jeffrey) Tambor.
THE OLYMPICS. This American swimmer holds the all-time record for most individual gold medals won.
Spoiler
(Michael) Phelps.
HUMAN AILMENTS. This syndrome results from an extra copy of chromosome number 21.
Spoiler
Down syndrome.
CROSSWORD CLUES “B” (6 letters). This tree, Ficus benghalensis, is the national tree of India.
Spoiler
Banyan.
PRESIDENTIAL POLITICS. By tradition, the nominating process begins with caucuses in this state.
Spoiler
Iowa.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

OSXpert

Re: Practice Test for Next Week's Real Thing

Post by OSXpert »

34 for me :'(

Thanks for putting this together.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The practice test was a fun exercise, so thank you for assembling it. Whether for those who need it or those who are fortunate enough to not need it I think it's always worthwhile to to go through the questions.

I would say there is nothing crazy hard and out of place that needs to be tossed, so that is a good thing.

Format-wise my preference is just the clues in one post and the answers in one straight shot in a second post. Doing 50-spoiler boxes? Okay, then. It's your time.

44.5 right is within my typical range. The actor's first name without his surname I'll blame on the local heat wave as I should still have enough marbles left to recall the great actor's full name. :oops:

Losing a couple of 50/50/90s and not having current events as a strength is all my fault.

sarisson

Post by sarisson »

42 for me, with a stupid mistake on the French/Latin clue.
Hoping for a third lap

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Format-wise my preference is just the clues in one post and the answers in one straight shot in a second post. Doing 50-spoiler boxes? Okay, then. It's your time.
Highlight text to go in spoiler. If it's on its own line, even faster: align cursor at start, Shift+end. Click spoiler button above text box. Not that much extra time, maybe two minutes, three tops, for all 50.

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Good quiz - thanks for doing this. 42 right while I have a headache is pretty good for me - I might have been able to pull another one or two on a better day, and that is around what I score on the "for real" one.

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Isn't Vienna also on the Danube? Four capitals.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

triviawayne wrote:Isn't Vienna also on the Danube? Four capitals.
Point taken. I was entranced by the symmetry of the three "B" capitals. I'll fix the question.

IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Good test. I got 39/50, which is probably borderline these days.

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

OSXpert wrote:34 for me :'(

Thanks for putting this together.
My pleasure.

I'd rate my test as somewhat tougher than the actual tests I've seen from Jeopardy. Trying to figure out what current events/pop culture questions will come up is a crapshoot.

jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

Fun Quiz! I really enjoyed going through it even though I won't be test-taking (I think my days of being competitive have flown by). And I didn't do so well with the pop culture ones...

Thanks for putting this together. I'm sure it will help test-takers prepare ---- and is also a fun thing for anyone to peruse. :D

And Good luck to all test-takers next week!!!

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Well done! Here's a bonus:

Pike's Peak, Finnegan's Wake, and Howard's End
Spoiler
Things that shouldn't have apostrophes

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

opusthepenguin wrote:Well done! Here's a bonus:

Spoiler
Around here, grocery stores use the apostrophe to warn that an "s" is coming ("Grape's: $1.29/bunch"). Drives me up a wall. And don't even get me started about people who use the dollar sign and "dollars".

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

The "Number Please" clue probably needs to be reworded so it could be answered in the form of a question (even though that's not required here). Maybe "These Roman numerals for...." or "spell out this, the French word..."?

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Blue Lion wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Well done! Here's a bonus:

Spoiler
Around here, grocery stores use the apostrophe to warn that an "s" is coming ("Grape's: $1.29/bunch"). Drives me up a wall. And don't even get me started about people who use the dollar sign and "dollars".
I usually see that at 8pm at night.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Magna wrote:The "Number Please" clue probably needs to be reworded so it could be answered in the form of a question (even though that's not required here). Maybe "These Roman numerals for...." or "spell out this, the French word..."?
I think I fixed the wording. Thanks for pointing that out.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

42 here. Dem fine game tyvm! Fun review. Here's a funny puzzler, "Before & After Triple Play":

Three authors emerge from The Jungle, take a wrong turn onto Main Street and pick up Alice on an Adventure in Wonderland:
Spoiler
Upton Sinclair Lewis Carroll
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

42 here, and I did find it a little tougher than the typical online test.

My most frustrating miss was
Spoiler
NWZ for NWA.
Also had
Spoiler
Idaho instead of Wyoming for the "equality state."
I didn't remember
Spoiler
Me Before You.
I had
Spoiler
The Help
on that one.

The
Spoiler
last avatar of Vishnu
question was actually asked on the show in 2015, and was valued at $1,000 in the single-J round.

Thanks for doing this Blue Lion!
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

goatman wrote:42 here. Dem fine game tyvm! Fun review. Here's a funny puzzler, "Before & After Triple Play":

Three authors emerge from The Jungle, take a wrong turn onto Main Street and pick up Alice on an Adventure in Wonderland:
Spoiler
Wait, wait. How about Cole Porter musical about a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model who hooks up with three authors who emerge from The Jungle, take a wrong turn onto Main Street and pick up Alice on an Adventure in Wonderland where they all get made fun of by the guy who played Archie Bunker?
Spoiler
Kiss Me Kate Upton Sinclair Lewis Carroll O'Connor

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

goatman wrote: Three authors emerge from The Jungle, take a wrong turn onto Main Street and pick up Alice on an Adventure in Wonderland:
Spoiler
How long before we see Quadruple Rhyme Time on Jeopardy? I predict we'll see it on SHC within the next two years because the boardies are so diabolical.