Wednesday, October 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7373, 2016-10-05

Seth Wilson game 13.

CONTESTANTS
Margie Eulner Ott, a consultant and ride share driver from Bethesda, Maryland
Eric Felkey, a kitchen manager from Columbus, Ohio
Seth Wilson, a Ph.D. candidate from Chicago, Illinois (whose 12-day cash winnings total $265,002)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, folks. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I know there are many of you who keep track of these things, but for those who don't, you should know that with his win yesterday, Seth Wilson moved past Arthur Chu into fifth place on our list of all-time game winners on Jeopardy!

[Applause]

Alex: Matt Jackson is one game ahead of you. But Margie and Eric are going to cause problems for you, perhaps. Let's see what happens. Here we go. All right. What are the categories today? Followed by...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A SONG OF ICE &/OR FIRE (4/5)
STAMPS (3/3)
IT'S SCOTCH TO ME (3/5)
"TRANS" ACTION (4/5)
NAPOLEON (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BONE APART (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Seth: 13 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Margie: 6 R, 2 W
Eric: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Seth: $3,800
Eric: $1,000
Margie: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: There's a little bit of information here regarding Margie Eulner Ott from Bethesda, Maryland, that sounds as if it could be the basis for a thriller. What happened in Beijing involving a $20 counterfeit bill?

Margie: Well, Alex, I was touring Beijing after a business trip. I had just gotten through the Forbidden City, which is miles and--feels like miles and miles long. On my way to Temple of Heaven Park, and a rickshaw--a bike rickshaw driver said, "Where are you going? I'll charge you 2 to go." So I got in. He drove me into a dark hutong, which is an alley and said, uh, "Oh, by the way, that's $200 U.S. dollars." And I said, "Well, pal, I'm on my last day. All I have is this $20 bill. But I'm not giving it to you till we go out to the road." And I gave it to him. And the only reason I had that $20 left is it kept getting rejected in the change machine so--as counterfeit.

[Laughter]

Alex: Good. Lucky break. Lucky break.

Alex: Eric Felkey from Columbus, Ohio, celebrated his favorite NBA team winning the championship with how many of your friends? I'm gonna assume we're talking about the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Eric: Yes, sir.

Alex: All right.

Eric: About 1.3 million of them.

Alex: Wait a minute. Whoa. How did that happen?

Eric: Well, the Cavs won the NBA title. Um, it was the first Cleveland championship in 50-plus years, so the city was very excited. So, uh...

Alex: So--so you're--you're calling all of these other people your friends.

Eric: On that day, they were absolutely.

Alex: Uh, okay. Good for you.

Alex: Seth Wilson is our champion. Some of the knowledge you have acquired comes from trips you made with your family. And after all--each one of these trips, your mom and pop used to quiz you and your sister, right?

Seth: Yes. Uh, when we would see things, when we would go to sites or--or--or take trips anywhere, um, they would make us, uh, commit things to memory. And then, there would be verbal quizzes on the--the trip back--on the ride back.

Alex: Good.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Seth found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Seth had $5,200, Eric had $200, and Margie was at $1,000. Seth wagered $1,000.

NAPOLEON $1000: In 1798 Napoleon struck at England by occupying this country, threatening trade routes to India
(Seth: What is Palestine?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A SONG OF ICE &/OR FIRE $800: "Feel That Fire" is an album & a single by this country crooner seen here

"TRANS" ACTION $1000: In a 2016 report Somalia was worst on the corruption index of the organization called this International
(Margie: What is Amnesty?)
(Alex: No.)
(Margie: International?)

IT'S SCOTCH TO ME $400: Whisky sold as scotch must be distilled in Scotland from water & malted this grain
(Seth: What is peat?)
(Margie: What is rye?)

IT'S SCOTCH TO ME $1000: This term can be applied legally only to scotch distilled north of a line stretching from Greenock to Dundee

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Seth: $6,600
Margie: $1,000
Eric: $200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 5, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
"Y" GEOGRAPHY? (3/5)
12-LETTER WORDS (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FLORAL BOOK TITLES (5/5)
ALLITERATIVE TV ACTRESSES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
U.S. FIRSTS (4/5)
TECH TOOLS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Seth: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Margie: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Eric: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Seth snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Seth had $7,800, Eric had $200, and Margie was at $1,000. Seth wagered $2,000.

ALLITERATIVE TV ACTRESSES $1200: Lori Loughlin reprised her role as John Stamos' wife when this reboot hit Netflix in 2016

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Margie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Seth had $17,000, Eric had $1,800, and Margie was at $11,000. Margie wagered $6,000.

12-LETTER WORDS $1600: This type of German spirit double appears in Dostoyevsky's novel "The Double"
(Alex: You are now $6,000 off the lead.)
(Margie: Um, I'll wager $6,000.)
(Alex: For a tie, here is the clue...)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
U.S. FIRSTS $2000: The first nuclear explosion was set off at the New Mexico site with this religious name, aka Jornada del Muerto

"Y" GEOGRAPHY? $2000: The seal of this state of the Federated States of Micronesia has a stone coin & the words "Land of stone money"

"Y" GEOGRAPHY? $1600: A great view of Mount Ararat 32 miles away can be had from the Old Fort in this Armenian capital

TECH TOOLS $2000: This name of a fictional butler is also an app to Mac-simize your productivity
(Seth: What is Jeeves?)
(Alex: And we have less than a minute now to deal with that last category, Eric.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Seth: $19,000
Margie: $17,000
Eric: $1,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE ECONOMY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Seth: Wager $15,001 to cover Margie, but no more than $15,399 so as not to fall behind Eric's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $11,401.
Margie: Since you're within 4/5ths of Seth's score, you should wager between $4,001 (venusian) and $13,000 (martian), beating Seth's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores.
Eric: Too bad for you, Eric, your score is less than Seth's score minus Margie's score. Unless they both commit an egregious wagering error, you've no hope of moving into first place. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"Systemically important financial institution" is an official status known more informally by these 4 words

FINAL SCORES
Eric: $1,800 - $1,800 = $0 (What is I have no idea?) (3rd place)
Margie: $17,000 + $17,000 = $34,000 (What is too big to fail.) (New champion: $34,000)
Seth: $19,000 + $5 = $19,005 (What is Too Big to Fail?) (2nd place)
(Alex: [To Seth] $5. Well, you're going away a champion. We'll see you in our Tournament of Champions.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Seth: $19,200, 27 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Margie: $12,600, 14 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Eric: $1,800, 7 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $33,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Seth: 28/60 = .467
Margie: 15/59 = .254
Eric: 7/58 = .121
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
A SONG OF ICE &/OR FIRE $400: Seen here, she had a hit with "Fire And Ice"

"TRANS" ACTION $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows time-lapse footage on the monitor.) A plastic bag wrapped around a plant allows you to see a build-up of moisture on the inside because plants give off water vapor through their leaves in a process called this

BONE APART $200: You're within range of this forearm bone, seen apart from its pal, the ulna

BONE APART $400: Open your jaw & name it

BONE APART $600: Here's the fossilized vertebra of this ancient creature similar to a mastodon

BONE APART $800: Collar some dollars & name this bone
(Eric: What is the scapula?)

BONE APART $1000: Make a clean breast of things & name this bone

IT'S SCOTCH TO ME $600: A Walter Scott novel, or a drink made with scotch, sweet vermouth & a dash of bitters
(Eric: What is an Old Fashioned?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

STAMPS $200: The stamp seen here depicts the attack on this Baltimore fort

STAMPS $600: On a 2016 stamp, sunlight bathes la Cueva del Indio, or the Cave of the Indian, near Arecibo on this U.S. commonwealth
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

ALLITERATIVE TV ACTRESSES $400: She had to deal with a cancer diagnosis on the cable dramedy "The Big C"

FLORAL BOOK TITLES $400: In Deborah Moggach's "Tulip Fever", a mania for the title bulbs sweeps this Dutch city in the 1630s
(Margie: Uh... I'm sorry. Uh...)
(Alex: [Indicating time expiry] Oh.)
(Margie: Tulips--)
(Alex: [Overlapping] No, took too long.)
(Margie: What are tulips?)
(Alex: No.)

U.S. FIRSTS $800: In 1929, "Wings" took the first Best Picture Oscar, & this swashbuckler senior was the first host of the ceremony
(Margie: Who is Errol Flynn?)

12-LETTER WORDS $800: Democrats & Republicans fight it out to win in this type of state, like Florida or Ohio
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Egypt
Dierks Bentley
Transparency
barley
Highland
Fuller House
a doppelganger
Trinity
Yap
Yerevan
Alfred
too big to fail
Pat Benatar
transpiration
radius
the mandible
a woolly mammoth
a clavicle
a sternum
a Rob Roy
Fort McHenry
Puerto Rico
Laura Linney
Amsterdam
Douglas Fairbanks
a battleground
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE ECONOMY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Systemically important financial institution is an official status known more informally by these 4 words

Seth Wilson: 19000+5=19005
Eric Felkey: 1800-1800=0
Margie Eulner Ott: 17000+17000=34000 (new champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Too big to fail (Eric – I have no idea)

Daily Doubles
Seth: 5200-1000
Seth: 7800+2000
Margie: 11000+6000

Coryats
Seth: 19200
Eric: 1800
Margie: 12600

Combined: 33,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Wow.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I mean, you've only won twelve games in a row, so why bet on yourself?

Congrats to the new champion, she played well against an intimidating opponent.

Instaget Final for me, but I can imagine not getting it if you aren't thinking down the right path.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

"A woman beat a superchamp wow I'm shocked" -- no one ever

Amazing how that continuously happens time and time again. But what is the shocker is Seth's wager... bruh. How you gonna go out like THAT?!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

...OK, wasn't expecting that. I think I've made my feelings clear when it comes to betting small from the lead (either because of hating the category or Shore's shenanigans), and this is why. OTOH, he would've been a relatively unremarkable 4-day champ if he hadn't done the same thing before. *shrug* Seeya in the TOC Seth.

Never heard that financial term before, but immediately understood what it meant, and had the right answer before Alex finished reading the clue.

Also, Yerevan, a TS. World capitals, people. World capitals. That wasn't even an exotic one.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Precalled Ice Ice Baby. Missed Benatar (can't name any of her songs) and Foreigner (NHOI).

WLT Glen at $200?

Ran Bone Apart.

Poll request for Dierks Bentley, as usual with country TSes.

WLT Laura Linney at $400?

Bit on the Jeeves negbait to end up 4/5 in Tech.

I had "genuflect" but was stumped on how to make it 12 letters. Derp.

Lach Trash: Yap.

No guess on FJ! NHO the correct response.

I was not expecting that ending!
Cyric29
Contributor

Post by Cyric29 »

Strange, I'm not getting the episode you guys have, No Seth, no 12 time champion...grrrrrr
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

It was always gonna end like that for Seth.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I think my station is showing tomorrow nights show instead of todays. (Tomorrow is Thursday Night Football so they won't show this show tomorrow)

I am really pissed that I didn't get to see the champs last game!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Laura Linney at $400?
Laura Linney
Cyric29
Contributor

Post by Cyric29 »

clprez wrote:I think my station is showing tomorrow nights show instead of todays. (Tomorrow is Thursday Night Football so they won't show this show tomorrow)

I am really pissed that I didn't get to see the champs last game!

That must be what's happening here(Grand Rapids MI), very frustrating.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
Laura Linney
So some C-list actor who's been on a bunch of shows that nobody's ever heard of, and looks exactly like every other blonde actress in the past 30 years, is $400 box?

ETA: And the only TOM is some Showtime drama that only lasted 3 years, and went off the air 3 years ago?
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

J! was pre-empted for coverage of the tropical storm/hurricane that's en route to South Florida. Please PM me if you can help skullturf and me view today's episode. Thanks! Stay dry!
WilliamPorygon
Contributor

Post by WilliamPorygon »

Either a light bulb blew or Keith Williams just shot himself. :shock:

As for the FJ! clue itself, I focused too much on "financial institution" and spent the first 20 seconds trying to think of an appropriate 4-word phrase ending with "bank" before giving up on that and writing "too big to fail" thinking I was giving a joke answer rather than a serious attempt.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
Laura Linney
So some C-list actor who's been on a bunch of shows that nobody's ever heard of, and looks exactly like every other blonde actress in the past 30 years, is $400 box?
Laura Linney is no C-list actress and no offense, but if you've not seen any of her work, you're in no position to judge. And as someone who claims to have never heard of "too big to fail" when it's a major part of one of the biggest news stories in this country's recent past, maybe you should re-think the whole "judging other people" business.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elijah Baley wrote:Laura Linney is no C-list actress and no offense, but if you've not seen any of her work, you're in no position to judge.
Again, the only TOM was some obscure Showtime show that went off the air 3 years ago. That's like using the Bill Engvall Show as a TOM for Jennifer Lawrence.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
Laura Linney

ETA: And the only TOM is some Showtime drama that only lasted 3 years, and went off the air 3 years ago?
Three-time Academy Award nominee, three-time Tony Award nominee, three-time Emmy Award winner. She's done things.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Tonight's Final Jeopardy and the wagering... dear me! It was an Instaget for me but still... wow.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp