Thursday, October 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7374, 2016-10-06

CONTESTANTS
Sarah Flamini, an author and administrative assistant from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Randi Rae Arnold, a freelance writer from Kalamazoo, Michigan
Margie Eulner Ott, a consultant and rideshare driver from Bethesda, Maryland (whose 1-day cash winnings total $34,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, folks. You've just heard one of two important facts about our returning champion Margie, that she won $34,000 on yesterday's program. That's a big win. She did it by defeating Seth Wilson, a young man who had won 12 games in a row, close to $300,000, and is now ranked number five on our list of all-time Jeopardy! champions. So she's good. Randi and Sarah, you're warned. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round, ladies. And now I want you to pay attention to these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN (5/5)
TV IN THE YEAR 2000 (5/5)
READING YOUR DIARY (4/5)
BRITISH SPELLING TEST (5/5) (Alex: You have to spell it.)
SHOOT (3/3)
THE MOON (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Randi: 8 R, 0 W
Margie: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sarah found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Margie had $800, Randi had $600, and Sarah was at $3,000. Sarah wagered $2,000.

THE MOON $800: Jupiter:
This "continental" one aka Jupiter II

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sarah: $7,800
Randi: $1,600
Margie: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sarah Flamini is from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. And in order to prepare for our show, you did something which sounds a little strange. What did you do?

Sarah: I went out and I bought a new shower curtain. It is a map of the world. I figured, you know, you're in the bathroom five, six times a day, just washing your hands, brushing your teeth. Might as well look at something and, uh, learn, oh, that's where Latvia is. I always wondered.

Alex: Well, you see, if you're washing your hands, you're washing your hands in the sink. You're looking in the mirror, everything is backwards. All of the names are backwards.

Sarah: No. My--my--my bathtub is, uh, besides the sink. So I can, uh, see the shower curtain right on.

Alex: Okay. My mistake.

Sarah: Mm-hmm.

Alex: Randi Rae--

Sarah: You haven't been in my bathroom.

Alex: All--

Sarah: I hope.

[Laughter]

Alex: You're right. I haven't been in your bathroom...

[Laughter]

Alex: ...that I remember.

Alex: Randi Rae Arnold is a freelance writer from Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Randi: Yes.

Alex: And one of your skills is writing poems, I understand.

Randi: Yes.

Alex: And you wrote one about Jeopardy!?

Randi: I did. Well, I write them for special occasions. And this certainly qualifies.

Alex: And this is a special--

Randi: Why journey from Kalamazoo to L.A.? / What makes this a worthwhile trek? / To get get to play Jeopardy!, be on TV / But above all, meet Alex Trebek.

[Applause]

Alex: Thank you. Take a bow. Yes, indeed.

Alex: Margie Eulner Ott from Bethesda, Maryland, is our champion. A rideshare driver. What does that mean exactly?

Margie: Well, you've heard of Uber, Lyft.

Alex: Yeah.

Margie: I drive for both of them.

Alex: Oh, hello!

Margie: Yeah.

Alex: Good for you. All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
READING YOUR DIARY $600: This Czech writer's diaries include thoughts like 1910's "I write... very decidedly out of despair over my body"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sarah: $10,200
Randi: $4,800
Margie: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
125 YEARS OF CARNEGIE HALL (4/5) (Alex: ...in New York City.)
GREEK HISTORY (4/5)
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
U.S. STATES' LARGEST ISLANDS (3/5)
SPY FICTION (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE NEW JEOPARDY! "APP" (5/5) (Alex: And finally, in keeping with the new technology...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Margie: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Randi: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Sarah: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Randi snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Margie had $3,600, Randi had $6,400, and Sarah was at $10,200. Randi wagered $4,000.

SPY FICTION $1200: Neil Armstrong provided the title of this 1975 Jack Higgins novel about a Nazi plot to kidnap Winston Churchill
(Randi: What is One Small Step?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Margie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Margie had $5,200, Randi had $3,600, and Sarah was at $11,800. Margie made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,200.

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER $1200: For movie publicity photos in 1961, she wore the 128.5-carat Tiffany Diamond
(Margie: Who is Elizabeth Taylor?)
(Alex: No. The star of Breakfast at Tiffany's, [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
U.S. STATES' LARGEST ISLANDS $1600: California's Santa Cruz island is one of this group; the British Isles have a group of the same name
(Randi: What are the Catalinas?)

U.S. STATES' LARGEST ISLANDS $2000: Home to the town of Bar Harbor, Maine is Mount this island
(Margie: What is Hebron?)

SPY FICTION $2000: This author's 2015 bestseller "The English Spy" is the 15th to feature the spy & assassin Gabriel Allon

GREEK HISTORY $1600: In 480 B.C. this son of Darius invaded Greece but the Greek navy defeated him at the Bay of Salamis & he returned to Persia
(Margie: Who is, um, Alexander?)
(Alex: Back to you, Sarah, with less than a minute now.)

125 YEARS OF CARNEGIE HALL $1600: In 1906, Mark Twain presided at this great educator's Tuskegee Institute Silver Anniversary lecture

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sarah: $17,800 (lock game)
Randi: $6,800
Margie: $1,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SECRETARIES OF STATE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Sarah: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Randi: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Margie: You've no hope of catching up... unless Randi does something stupid. So risk $1,199.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 2 Secretaries of State who received B.A.s in political science from Wellesley, 10 years apart

FINAL SCORES
Margie: $1,200 - $1,200 = $0 (Who are Albright C. Rice + Ri H. Clinton) (3rd place)
Randi: $6,800 - $800 = $6,000 (Who are Albright + Rice?) (2nd place)
Sarah: $17,800 + $4,000 = $21,800 (Who are Albright and Hillary Clinton?) (New champion: $21,800)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sarah: $16,600, 20 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Randi: $10,800, 16 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Margie: $6,400, 14 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $33,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Sarah: 21/59 = .356
Randi: 16/59 = .271
Margie: 14/59 = .237
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE MOON $1000: Pluto:
This biggest one
[Applause, even though Sarah did not run the category]
(Sarah: [Turning to audience, denying the applause] No. No, I didn't.)

BRITISH SPELLING TEST $400: Recognize
(Randi: [*]?)
(Alex: That's it, but remember your phrase in the future.)
(Randi: Oh! What is?)
(Alex: Yes. Okay. Pick again.)

TV IN THE YEAR 2000 $600: Were you a Miranda? Maybe a Charlotte? Either way, this HBO comedy was in the midst of its 6-year run
(Alex: With less than a minute to go, you're right.)

SHOOT $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows an animation on the monitor.) Propulsion, flight & impact are some of what is studied by this science that looks at a discharged bullet's path

SHOOT $1000: It's not technically a firearm, but a weapon that uses compressed CO2 to propel a projectile
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]
(Alex: And with that...)
(Sarah: Shoot!)
(Alex: ...you add to your lead. Shoot, indeed.)

THE NEW JEOPARDY! "APP" $400: The work seen here is titled "The Young" this lad "Learning a Skilled Trade"

THE NEW JEOPARDY! "APP" $1600: The act of taking something for one's own use
(Sarah: What is to... apprehend?)

THE NEW JEOPARDY! "APP" $2000: Hardy breed & official state symbol seen here
(Alex: Correct. Great horse.)

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER $2000: Popular diamond cuts or shapes include the round, the marquise & this one named for another gemstone

GREEK HISTORY $400: In 1959 Greece reached an agreement with Britain & Turkey to make this British Crown colony independent
(Randi: What is Hong Kong?)
(Sarah: What is Gibraltar?)

125 YEARS OF CARNEGIE HALL $400: The Hall opened May 5th, 1891, as this first world-famous Russian composer, on his only U.S. trip, conducted his own work

125 YEARS OF CARNEGIE HALL $800: In 1964, the Beatles brought rock 'n' roll to Carnegie Hall & opened with this song that's a bit cheeky to a great composer

125 YEARS OF CARNEGIE HALL $1200: His 1983 special at Carnegie Hall included his last recorded version of one of his most famous bits

"After a while, I realized that I was needlessly restricting myself to seven words and only to the ones that weren't allowed on TV"

125 YEARS OF CARNEGIE HALL $2000: The greatest classical artists have been Hall regulars, including this cellist, who's on the board of trustees
(Alex: And I would like to point out that Carnegie Hall opens its new season tonight. And I bet you it's sold out.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Europa
Franz Kafka
The Eagle Has Landed
Audrey Hepburn
the Channel Islands
(Mount) Desert
Daniel Silva
Xerxes
Booker T. Washington
Madeleine Albright & Hillary Clinton
Charon
R-E-C-O G-N-I-S-E
Sex in the City
ballistics
an air gun
Apprentice
appropriate
an Appaloosa
emerald cut
Cyprus
Tchaikovsky
"Roll Over Beethoven"
George Carlin
Yo-Yo Ma
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SECRETARIES OF STATE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 2 Secretaries of State who received B.A.s in Political Science from Wellesley, 10 years apart

Margie Eulner Ott: 1200-1200=0
Randi Rae Arnold: 6800-800=6000
Sarah Flamini: 17800+4000=21800 (New champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Madeleine Albright & Hillary Clinton (Margie – C. Rice & H. Clinton) (Randi – Albright & Rice)

Daily Doubles
Sarah: 3000-2000
Randi: 6400-4000
Margie: 5200-5200

Coryats
Margie: 6400
Randi: 10800
Sarah: 16600

Combined: 33,800
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That was painful, what? That DD was loaded with TOMs: the year, Tiffany's.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Sarah pretty much went all Melania Trump on Michael Falk during the interview segment. :lol:
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I knew Hillary and had thought of Rice but not Albright in my pre-question warmup so I went with Clinton + Rice. In retrospect I believe I may have known this one.

I thought the new champ refusing the claps because she didn't actually sweep the category was pretty funny. I agree with the audience though that the category made it was clear she was a strong player.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Went with Albright + Clinton because I thought Rice was too young for the 10-year gap to work, but nope, she's 61. Whatever. Honestly, I'm disappointed that they went with a clue which, even if you knew nothing about them, could still be boiled down to "WOMEN: pick two out of the three. 30 seconds, good luck." Out of all the interesting trivia they could've given us about them :roll: Actually, since Albright and Rice's ages are too far apart to work, even if you don't remember Hillary's alma mater, it basically boiled down to Clinton + 1.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I went with Allbright and Clinton because I knew Rice went to Stanford. Plus the 20 year difference. Also wouldn't Wellesley produce mostly liberals?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Sarah was fun. I liked her. Although the Kalamazooan (Kalamazooite?) had a pretty nice poem too.

3/5 in Cheese, didn't get the bottom two. At least no Liederkranz.

WLT Ariel, Pepys, Cyprus, or Tchaikovsky in the top box?

British was an easy run.

3/5 in 2000 TV, not bad.

Ran "App", although I thought Appaloosa was very easy.

Yo-Yo Ma was also very easy for the bottom box.

Secretaries of State? Yeah, I'm boned. And I'm supposed to know what degrees they got in college?! Who the hell knows that crap?!?
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

clprez wrote:I went with Allbright and Clinton because I knew Rice went to Stanford. Plus the 20 year difference. Also wouldn't Wellesley produce mostly liberals?
Wellesley gave me HRC right away, and then similarity of political views was what led me to go the right way on the second half.

Rice was the provost of Stanford prior to joining the G. W. Bush administration. Her degrees are from the University of Denver and Notre Dame.
chelseahannac
Contributor

Post by chelseahannac »

clprez wrote:I went with Allbright and Clinton because I knew Rice went to Stanford. Plus the 20 year difference. Also wouldn't Wellesley produce mostly liberals?
This was the exact same logic I used, only to Google it afterward and find she didn't actually get a degree from Stanford. Whoops. It's the result that matters, not the logic, right?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Ten Pound Hammer wrote:
Secretaries of State? Yeah, I'm boned. And I'm supposed to know what degrees they got in college?! Who the hell knows that crap?!?
Dude. There is a TOM happening there. You're supposed to know that Wellesley is a women's college and there have been three women Secretaries of State. Hillary and one other went there. The college major was irrelevant.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Secretaries of State? Yeah, I'm boned. And I'm supposed to know what degrees they got in college?! Who the hell knows that crap?!?
Boy, the weekend poll's going to really make that statement look stupid...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I like Sarah and will be rooting for her, although I had to shake my head at her first round DD wager.

The other two DD wagers were reasonable, for a change. Props to Margie from learning from yesterday's mistake and correctly betting everything. She missed an easy one, but it's about the process and maximizing one's chances, not the result.

Got LT of Kafka, Audrey Hepburn, Xerxes, and Booker T Washington. Went with Hillary Clinton and Condoleezza Rice on the FJ. Don't think it was nearly the "gimmie" Alex claimed it was.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Randi and Sarah's stories with Latvia on the shower curtain and the J! poem are the kinds of things at the audition that get the phone to ring soon after.

Sarah's, "No, I didn't!" had me laughing as it's quite rare to see the audience chastised, especially with the applause coming from a positive place.

I hated missing the run in TV IN THE YEAR 2000, but RDJ got me as I thought of other male members from the cast of Ally McBeal first and the hint did not help in time as I detoured to Greg Germann who played Hades recently in Once Upon a Time.

Margie's miss on the DD that wanted A. Hepburn cost Sarah $1400 in winnings.

The FJ! category begged for precalls and I missed having Albright in the mix. When I saw the clue I had Clinton first and added Albright after a few seconds of thought. Rice as the other option was not a consideration as I eliminated (she's older than I realized) her on the age factor. I knew of her work history at Stanford, but had no idea where she went to school.

If my life was threatened and I had three seconds to be sure whether Clinton went to Wellesley, Radcliffe or Vassar I cannot guarantee I would have picked the right one. Tonight's clue with the college provided helped keep me out of trouble.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm still laughing about, "NOPE. NO, I DIDN'T." I want Sarah to keep winning.

I forgot that Condoleezza Rice wasn't the first female Secretary of State (and I even gave Albright as a correct response in one of my games).
IronNeck wrote:Props to Margie from learning from yesterday's mistake and correctly betting everything.
I think that's assuming too much. Yesterday she bet to catch up to the leader. She couldn't do that today, so she bet it all.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,400
40 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Franz Kafka, Channel Islands, Audrey Hepburn (DD), Booker T. Washington

Sarah waving off the category run applause was hilariously awkward.

I remembered that the supremely impressive Ms. Rice enrolled at the University of Denver at age 16, so that left only Ms. Albright and Mrs. Clinton. I would not have guessed that they were so close in age.

Booker T. Washington being a TS given a year, a picture, "educator" and "Tuskegee" was inexplicable.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Add another member to Team Sarah. FSR she reminded me of one of my favourite players (and fellow boardie) Jennifer Morrow, so that might be why I liked her.

Interesting that they start the game with a MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN category and closed it with a SECRETARIES OF STATE category that had Hillary in the correct answer. (*This* was the kind of political references I like during J!, not the interminable ones during the commercials, it seems like about 2/3 of ads are political lately. And these are just for senator and congress seats, I'd hate to see how many more there'd be if Minnesota was a swing state!) I think this game was about a month too early. :)

Ran the British spelling category, while Canadian and British spelling differ in some words, as far as I can tell we spell all those words the same way as our British cousins. (Oh, I just remembered one we spell the American way, airplane.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

dhkendall wrote:Add another member to Team Sarah. FSR she reminded me of one of my favourite players (and fellow boardie) Jennifer Morrow, so that might be why I liked her.

Interesting that they start the game with a MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN category and closed it with a SECRETARIES OF STATE category that had Hillary in the correct answer. (*This* was the kind of political references I like during J!, not the interminable ones during the commercials, it seems like about 2/3 of ads are political lately. And these are just for senator and congress seats, I'd hate to see how many more there'd be if Minnesota was a swing state!) I think this game was about a month too early. :)

Ran the British spelling category, while Canadian and British spelling differ in some words, as far as I can tell we spell all those words the same way as our British cousins. (Oh, I just remembered one we spell the American way, airplane.)
I was thinking of Jennifer Morrow - who is also one of my favourite players - as well throughout Sarah's game.

Re the political references, don't go near the J! FB page. Lots of nasty complaints about getting political with Hillary; no complaints or even acknowledgements from the complainers about the Trump category.

Also ran the British spelling category, understandably.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

That was a fun group; it's too bad they couldn't all advance.

I didn't get that first DD even though it certainly seems obvious in hindsight. Elizabeth Taylor popped into my head and that was it.

As for the second (?), you could see that Randi was just stuck on the most famous quote; I was really hoping it would come to her in time.