Overall Jeopardy Statistics

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Overall Jeopardy Statistics

Post by IronNeck »

Apologies if there was a previous topic for this (I searched and came up empty), but I'm curious about general Jeopardy stats over the entire Trebek era. In particular,

-What percentage of contestants become champions, not counting tournaments? (My guess is around 22-25%)

-What's the percentage of accurate responses to DDs? (Guess is around 65%)

-What's the percentage of accurate responses to FJs? (Guess is around 50%)

-What's the percentage of accurate responses to buzz-ins? (Guess is around 80%)

I'm sure there are some other interesting ones I missed. Regardless, has anyone crunched the numbers on these, and other interesting general statistics?
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Re: Overall Jeopardy Statistics

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

To answer your second through fourth questions, if you go to J!-Archive and click on each season, links will appear at the bottom of each page that have Daily Double statistics, FJ statistics, etc. The answer to your fourth question will be in the "average team batting average" in the Miscellaneous category.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:To answer your second through fourth questions, if you go to J!-Archive and click on each season, links will appear at the bottom of each page that have Daily Double statistics, FJ statistics, etc. The answer to your fourth question will be in the "average team batting average" in the Miscellaneous category.
Oh wow, thanks! I've been perusing the site daily and didn't even realize they had compiled all those stats, season by season.

My guess for the average DD accuracy, 65%, was virtually correct for Season 32. So was my guess for FJ accuracy, 50%, as the real number was 50.58%.

My guess for average correct responses, 80%, was only too high by a hair. (It was 78.7%)

However, I confess to not seeing which of the links informs me of the answer to my first question; how many of the contestants become champions, outside of tournaments?
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Anyone have the champion stat above?
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

IronNeck wrote:Anyone have the champion stat above?
27.3%. I always just ballpark it and say around 75% of contestants lose in their first and only game.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2849&hilit=average
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
IronNeck wrote:Anyone have the champion stat above?
27.3%. I always just ballpark it and say around 75% of contestants lose in their first and only game.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2849&hilit=average
Awesome, thanks!