Seaborgium's New Neighbors

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Seaborgium's New Neighbors

Post by HugoZ »

Please welcome the newest additions to the Jeopardy! Periodic Table Study Sheet:

110 - Darmstadtium, 111 - Roentgenium, and 112 - Copernicium

Feel free to swing by and say hello (though you might not catch them, they never seem to be at home for long).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/05/scien ... .html?_r=1
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Seaborgium's New Neighbors

Post by dhkendall »

HugoZ wrote:Please welcome the newest additions to the Jeopardy! Periodic Table Study Sheet:

Feel free to swing by and say hello (though you might not catch them, they never seem to be at home for long).

Hmmm, I've known about them for quite a while (they're one of the first I go to on Sporcle quizzes. The New York Times must get the news on new elements almost as slow as Harvard does (Tom Lehr reference)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

dhkendall wrote:
HugoZ wrote:Please welcome the newest additions to the Jeopardy! Periodic Table Study Sheet:

Hmmm, I've known about them for quite a while (they're one of the first I go to on Sporcle quizzes. The New York Times must get the news on new elements almost as slow as Harvard does (Tom Lehr reference)
The periodic table image that shows up in my screen saver from time to time has their generic names:

110 - Uun - Ununnillium
111 - Uuu - Unununium
112 - Uub - Ununbium
and
114 - Uuq - Ununquadium
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

dhkendall wrote:

I knew I'd heard Copernecium somewhere... Final Jeopardy! - http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3475

Oh, and thanks, Seaborgium, we got a question at Pub Quiz a few weeks ago thanks entirely to your handle. (We had to identify, in a photo, a man pointing at Sg on the periodic table. I don't think any of the other teams got it... I would have had no clue otherwise)
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Turd Ferguson wrote:I knew I'd heard Copernecium somewhere... Final Jeopardy! - http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3475
Now I know why this was sounding a little familiar. I'm sure there was a discussion on that game's J!Board thread.

Apparently when the NYT said that IUPAP gave them names "on Friday", they meant "on Friday sometime last year".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Turd Ferguson wrote:Oh, and thanks, Seaborgium, we got a question at Pub Quiz a few weeks ago thanks entirely to your handle. (We had to identify, in a photo, a man pointing at Sg on the periodic table. I don't think any of the other teams got it... I would have had no clue otherwise)
They showed Stefan?!?!?
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Veering just slightly off-topic, this crowd might enjoy the customer reviews from folks looking to buy uranium ore on Amazon.com. A sample from Patrick J. McGovern, Procrastinating Evil Scientist (Hollowed Out Volcano Lair):
I purchased this product 4.47 Billion Years ago and when I opened it today, it was half empty.
In and out of the pool four times
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

alietr wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:Oh, and thanks, Seaborgium, we got a question at Pub Quiz a few weeks ago thanks entirely to your handle. (We had to identify, in a photo, a man pointing at Sg on the periodic table. I don't think any of the other teams got it... I would have had no clue otherwise)
They showed Stefan?!?!?
Heh, it was actually Seaborg. (It's the first picture in this article - http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Arc ... ibute.html) I had never seen a picture of him before, but "guessed" that only Seaborg himself would have had such a photo taken of him. I don't think anyone else in the room had any clue who Seaborg was -- I certainly wouldn't have, if not for Stefan's handle.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

HugoZ wrote:Apparently when the NYT said that IUPAP gave them names "on Friday", they meant "on Friday sometime last year".
or perhaps they meant they were riding a horse named Friday?
Turd Ferguson wrote:Heh, it was actually Seaborg.
Seaborg? Seaborg assimilate. Assimilate, Borg, assimilate!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Last year I was testing Call of Duty: Black Ops. One of the cut scenes showed a periodic table. I wrote a bug report saying that with the elements shown, the table dated from around 2003, an anachronism with the game's Cold War setting. They opted not to fix it, since the cut scenes were pretty well set in stone by that point.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

alietr wrote:
They showed Stefan?!?!?
That's what I was thinking too. That's one hardcore Pub Quiz that Turd plays. :)
Samer
Valued Contributor

Post by Samer »

Feh. Physicists are just late to the party.

We chemists got around to that years ago. :lol:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

reddpen wrote:Veering just slightly off-topic, this crowd might enjoy the customer reviews from folks looking to buy uranium ore on Amazon.com. A sample from Patrick J. McGovern, Procrastinating Evil Scientist (Hollowed Out Volcano Lair):
I purchased this product 4.47 Billion Years ago and when I opened it today, it was half empty.
Too rich, Bill! It's also well worth checking out the other products sold by Images SI. The UFO-01 detector has made it onto my Xmas wish list.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Woof wrote:
reddpen wrote:Veering just slightly off-topic, this crowd might enjoy the customer reviews from folks looking to buy uranium ore on Amazon.com. A sample from Patrick J. McGovern, Procrastinating Evil Scientist (Hollowed Out Volcano Lair):
Too rich, Bill! It's also well worth checking out the other products sold by Images SI. The UFO-01 detector has made it onto my Xmas wish list.
Don't do it Woof! Read the reviews.
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

seaborgium wrote:Last year I was testing Call of Duty: Black Ops. One of the cut scenes showed a periodic table. I wrote a bug report saying that with the elements shown, the table dated from around 2003, an anachronism with the game's Cold War setting. They opted not to fix it, since the cut scenes were pretty well set in stone by that point.
awesome.