FJs for the 10/17/16 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/17/16 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:57 pm

In the same year as Waterloo, the Duke of Wellington’s brother-in-law General Edward Pakenham died in this battle in North America
76%
He's won 4 Emmys, 3 Grammys, an Oscar & 3 Tonys, & 3 of his films rank on AFI's list of funniest movies of all time
59%
Keats’ line "The sedge is withered from the lake, and no birds sing" inspired the title of this groundbreaking book
86%
She once said that death "is no more than passing from one room into another" but "in that other room, I shall be able to see"
87%
In 2006 for the 500th anniversary of this group, members trekked from the canton of Ticino to St. Peter’s Square
67%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
31%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
LESSER-KNOWN GRAMMYS $2000: Maya Angelou won for Spoken Word in 1993 & '95; in 1994 it was him for "Get in the Van: On the Road with Black Flag"
27%
WHAT CAN YOU BUY FOR A BUCK $800: A Crunchtada Tostada or grilled chicken taco from this chain
10%
I'M A WHEEL WATCHER $1000: Often found on the bottom of heavy furniture, it's a wheel that swivels in order to help in moving large objects
54%
I included "Explosives" as part of my correct response for the Monday clue that wanted the names in ATF.
6%
Taco Bell was my incorrect guess for the clue above that wanted Del Taco.
74%
Woody Allen was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
6%
I had "Silent Spring" at the top of my precall list off the Wednesday FJ! category.
24%
At some point during the 30 seconds of "think time" on Thursday the name Emily Dickinson occurred to me.
45%
For the Friday clue in ARCHITECTURE $1600 that wanted Australia as the correct response, I guessed wrong by thinking of a different place with a Victoria.
23%

Total votes: 127

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/17/16 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC RELATIVES

10/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the same year as Waterloo, the Duke of Wellington’s brother-in-law General Edward Pakenham died in this battle in North America

10/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FUNNYMEN

10/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He's won 4 Emmys, 3 Grammys, an Oscar & 3 Tonys, & 3 of his films rank on AFI's list of funniest movies of all time

10/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1960s SCIENCE BOOKS

10/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Keats’ line "The sedge is withered from the lake, and no birds sing" inspired the title of this groundbreaking book

10/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
QUOTABLE NOTABLES

10/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She once said that death "is no more than passing from one room into another" but "in that other room, I shall be able to see"

10/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN ANNIVERSARIES

10/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2006 for the 500th anniversary of this group, members trekked from the canton of Ticino to St. Peter’s Square

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Battle of New Orleans
Mel Brooks
Silent Spring
Helen Keller
Swiss Guard
The players were 8/15 (53.33%) with a 2-2-2-1-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested clue the player had correct and two triple stumpers.

LESSER-KNOWN GRAMMYS $2000: Maya Angelou won for Spoken Word in 1993 & '95; in 1994 it was him for "Get in the Van: On the Road with Black Flag"

WHAT CAN YOU BUY FOR A BUCK $800: A Crunchtada Tostada or grilled chicken taco from this chain

I'M A WHEEL WATCHER $1000: Often found on the bottom of heavy furniture, it's a wheel that swivels in order to help in moving large objects

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Henry Rollins
Del Taco
caster
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/17/16 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:
Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms (No Explosives)
Taco Bell :(
Woody Allen
Precalled the Carson book
Did briefly think of Dickinson
Clam on Victoria, Australia
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

Well, the 8/8 last week was nice. Back to reality.

The streak reaches 30, getting Mel Brooks by the skin of my teeth. The others were a series of easy connections, Waterloo -> 1815 -> Battle of New Orleans, '60s science book + birds -> Silent Spring (no precall), 'able to see' -> Keller, and canton ( = Swiss) + St. Peter's = Swiss Guard.

I'm sure I've seen a Del Taco clue before, but it didn't stick, and I've never seen one, let alone eaten there.

"Alcohol, tobacco, firearms...wait, where's the explosives?" Good thing the real ATF didn't hear that out of context.

Yes to Dickinson

Picked up Australia on the rebound.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

"Canton" didn't click so I guessed Jesuits to say something. Streak broken at... 17, which I think is my longest ever.

Left off "explosives."
Said Taco Bell, but if I were keeping score I might not have because it didn't feel right. Even though it's got three Archive hits now, Del Taco still is still not in my Top 5 Mexican Fast Food Chains I Would Think Of (behind Bell, Chipotle and three regional chains that are actually in my region).
No precall on Silent Spring but still an instaget.
Never considered Dickinson.
Guessed Canada for Victoria.
Last edited by Plactus on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Was stuck on battles in the Northeast in the War of 1812, New Orleans never occurred to me.
Ran through several people before Mel Brooks, but Woody Allen wasn't one of them
Went straight to Helen Keller.

Live in the suburban NY area, have never seen a Del Taco.

sarisson

Post by sarisson »

:mrgreen: :( :(
My third 5/5 week ever, and second of this season. I never saw if OrangeSam calculated everyone's FJ percentages from last season, but I was just over 50% then. This season, I'm 23 for 30... so far.
Hoping for a third lap
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Close, but not quite. I'm still wondering what was in Tuesday's FJ that might've led me to Mel Brooks, 'cause I still can't figure that one out.

Not being familiar with Del Taco at all, aside from knowing it's a chain that exists, and with Taco Bell being infamous for made-up Spanish-sounding words similar to "crunchtada," well, I guess I now know that's not a uniquely Taco Bell thing now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :(

Tue - Robin Williams

ATFE.
Got Del Taco on the rebound...I was about 51% confident it wasn't Taco Bell so stayed clam hoping for a bite.
Victoria, Canada (though not showing 'Geelong' for the home audience was pretty cruel.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

I've been going up and down on FJs from 1/5s to 5/5s, 2 each in the last month...
I remembered "Henry"'s first name, blanked on his last. Not familiar with Del Taco at all.
I never precall, but Silent Spring was inevitable...
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Steve Martin on Tuesday
No explosives
Yes on Taco Bell
Didn't precall Silent Spring
Dickinson did occur during the think music, but I thought Keller was a WECIB; I also think I've heard that quote before
Clammed on Victoria
Sprinkles are for winners.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Thanks for polling Rollins. I was really curious how that would go.
I might have been making my way toward Dickinson while reading Thursday's clue, but I think I got to the end before I thought of her name.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Robin Williams was my guess for Tuesday.
On Friday I couldn't parse St. Peter's Square as part of the Vatican. I kept thinking of St. Petersburg and wagged the Decembrists.

The closest Del Taco to me is over 500 miles away, in Michigan, but I clammed on that one figuring it certainly wasn't Taco Bell.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I had my longest ever streak of FJ correct responses broken on Friday when my darn two-headed coin gave me Knights Templar instead of Swiss Guard.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Wednesday: precall
Thursday: Dickinson Woolf Keller
Friday: Knights Templar Swiss Guard but not in time

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

C'mon J!, nobody east of the Mountain Time zone has even HEARD of Del Taco...
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

As good an FJ week as I've had in a while; all instagets although after immediately saying "Mel Brooks", I spent a few seconds wondering about Woody Allen, until I was convinced he did not have a Tony.

We have Del Taco franchises where I live, but much less common than Taco Bell, and I've never gone to one; I knew Taco Bell was wrong but had nothing else.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm still waiting for a taco truck on every corner.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I didn't quite catch Geelong in the architecture clue, so I thought of British Columbia.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(

I didn't get any part of ATF.

Wrong with Taco Bell.
The Word Picture
Contributor

Post by The Word Picture »

:D :?: :?: :D :D
:?: :?: :?:

Footy was good to me as Geelong is the home pf an Australian rules football club.
"See" was the key word as for my imperfect brain had Emily Dickinson as frail not blind.
Mel Brooks wouldn't have come to me even if I remembered EGOT . Thought of Robin Williams for that.