Wednesday, November 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
Also, said "graft" instead of "grant". Judges?
WASHINGTON JARGON $800: It's a "G"ift from the "G"overnment to an organization; block is one type

I blurted "graft" and took the neg and after taking another look at the clue it still has me agreeing with the judges. ;)
Definitely neg. No such thing as block graft in this context.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

Heh, it wasn't conveyed particularly well, but I was mostly joking. On whether it would have been accepted, that is! Because the more I look at it, the more it makes sense. :)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

mfc248 wrote:Facepalm miss for me here - the date led me to Eiffel Tower and never thought to change.
"Foundry" led me to bell (specifically, the Liberty Bell) for a lot longer than it should have. Realizing the dates were long past when the Liberty Bell was cast led me to the correct answer soon enough.
mfc248 wrote:Of note: the Season 32 Daily Double cards were retained.
Probably because this was taped the same time as the Season 32 Teachers Tournament semifinals and the Season 32 Celebrity Tournament. But the board filling sound of Season 33 was probably digitally added in postproduction (I wonder if the Season 32 sound was played when it was being filmed. Andy, I seem to recall you said you were there for the Teachers and Celeb games, did you see this too?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $44,400
51 R/0 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Spanish-American War, Idaho, Alexander the Great (DD), wampum, pamphlet, Jesse James, drone, Bon Bons, Arctic Ocean (DD), Ivan Pavlov

Lost the Descartes/Pavlov coin flip. Should have listened a little more closely to the siren song of the Cartesian plane.

I really hated those transitions between the contestants during the introductions. Going straight from a shot of the contestant to the title card made it look like they were experiencing technical difficulties.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

I was at the taping for the two games of the finals, so it's weird to see these early games.

I'm hoping to see the back of my head as the camera zooms by.

Tidbit: Johnny Gilbert wasn't there for the D.C. sessions and his voice was to be dubbed in.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:Probably because this was taped the same time as the Season 32 Teachers Tournament semifinals and the Season 32 Celebrity Tournament. But the board filling sound of Season 33 was probably digitally added in postproduction (I wonder if the Season 32 sound was played when it was being filmed. Andy, I seem to recall you said you were there for the Teachers and Celeb games, did you see this too?)
I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if it was a different sound, so I'm going to go ahead and say it was the Season 32 sound that they used and then you're right about them changing it afterward.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Lost the Descartes/Pavlov coin flip. Should have listened a little more closely to the siren song of the Cartesian plane.
Do you mean Descartes/Pascal maybe? Pascal was the other one I thought of for a 17th century work titled Geometrie.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Lost the Descartes/Pavlov coin flip. Should have listened a little more closely to the siren song of the Cartesian plane.
Do you mean Descartes/Pascal maybe? Pascal was the other one I thought of for a 17th century work titled Geometrie.
What does an acorn say when it grows up?
Geometry!

I kill me.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

Vowela wrote:Ugh. I absolutely knew FJ!, yet I was drawing a blank. I just immediately concluded that they were looking for a building of some sort, even shortly considering the Empire State Building before realizing that wasn't old enough, and somehow completely missed the big ol' statue nearby.

I felt a little bad for Porter. He seemed to be struggling with his signaling device the whole show.

I'm guessing Apurva probably wasn't considering the wild cards with her wager. She'd have had so little left on a miss, might as well have gone all in to try to secure that wild card. $15,600 would've been a great score to end with.
Apurva's score before FJ was a tough one in terms of how much do you bet? She could have gone big, but I guess it would help if you had a good sense for what likely qualifies for a wild card. I thought she was pretty smart to leave herself a decent cushion if she didn't get it - my recollection is that kids are notoriously terrible at wagering FJ and often wager themselves right out of a wild card because of the tendency to bet it all. So, she might have still made it as a wild card even if she got it wrong.

As for Porter, he seemed to do just fine with his signaling device, at least based on the number of times that he rang in. He just seemed to have a real up and down time with his responses; he got some that were a little tricky but really struggled with those daily doubles. Name an ocean in the far north - there are only a handful! And the Hope Diamond response was an odd one. But, hopefully, he had a lot of fun and a good experience!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I thought that this was a well-played game. I saved it for my J!-aspirant 12 year old (who has been tirelessly awaiting some sign of a Kids' Week test) as a demonstration of what it takes to get on the show. I precalled 3 things for FJ: Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell and the Statue of Liberty. Had the answer before Alex had finished reading the question.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Elijah Baley wrote: Apurva's score before FJ was a tough one in terms of how much do you bet? She could have gone big, but I guess it would help if you had a good sense for what likely qualifies for a wild card. I thought she was pretty smart to leave herself a decent cushion if she didn't get it - my recollection is that kids are notoriously terrible at wagering FJ and often wager themselves right out of a wild card because of the tendency to bet it all. So, she might have still made it as a wild card even if she got it wrong.
The tendency for the teen contestants to bet it all, coupled with FJs skewing easy for the Teen Tournament, is good reason for Apurva to have followed that trend. I don't think anyone who has intentionally left a cushion and gotten FJ wrong has gotten a wild card in the TT in the last ten years.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Lumosityfan wrote:
grindcore wrote:
Lumosityfan wrote:On a side note, feels very weird watching the Teen Tournament considering the fact that I'm no longer able to play it :(
Weirder than watching yourself play in it?
That definitely takes the cake in terms of weirdness!
Actually that's more surreal than weird, from my experience. Especially in a room full of people who (mostly) had no idea of the outcome. (As one of my co-workers said, "I never thought of Jeopardy! as a spectator sport!" as folks were cheering and booing during the show.)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

alietr wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Geometry!

I kill me.
Since it's "Cartesian", that means Descarte. And those who missed it put Descarte before Dehorse.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
alietr wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Geometry!

I kill me.
Since it's "Cartesian", that means Descarte. And those who missed it put Descarte before Dehorse.
I figured "Cartesian" referred to its inventor's last name but I couldn't get further from there. Carte? Cartes? None of these are familiar! It doesn't help that I think of Descartes as a philosopher rather than s mathematician.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:It doesn't help that I think of Descartes as a philosopher rather than s mathematician.
Well, if you think, I guess that means you are.

At least I think so.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Yes, of course. My wife must have been ringing the dinner bell when I was typing that.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Probably because this was taped the same time as the Season 32 Teachers Tournament semifinals and the Season 32 Celebrity Tournament. But the board filling sound of Season 33 was probably digitally added in postproduction (I wonder if the Season 32 sound was played when it was being filmed. Andy, I seem to recall you said you were there for the Teachers and Celeb games, did you see this too?)
I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if it was a different sound, so I'm going to go ahead and say it was the Season 32 sound that they used and then you're right about them changing it afterward.
Watching Friday's game you can definitely hear the old sound underneath the new sound so that seems to be what they did.

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I actually like "Stressed Out" except for its ending. That and Minecraft were my only gets in that category.

Not the slightest bit of recognition in the Narnia category.

War On was an 0/5 for me.

I totally didn't see "in" in the clue twice at all, but "This" was in the clue twice. Oops.

Bonbons are made of ice cream?! I thought that was a generic term for candy snacks. I see no reference to them having ice cream in them.

I always conflate Mendel and Mendeleyev. Any way to keep them apart?

No guess on FJ!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Bonbons are made of ice cream?!
Ice cream bonbons are. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I knew what they were going for but I agree that clue was a little iffy.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Bonbons are made of ice cream?! I thought that was a generic term for candy snacks.
It is, but, as opus points out, ice cream bonbons are a thing.