LL71: For The LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by Blue Lion »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:The word "drowned" in Q1 made me think of syrup.
That was my guess as well. Fortunately, my opponent gave the question a value of 1 and I won the match.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
StevenH wrote:I can't believe that Pudd'nhead only had a 23% get rate, given that we were spotted "Wilson."
Me, too, but it did take a little time for Wilson to register. The time period and Missouri should have led people to Twain.
Yeah, it should have. But the description of the plot seemed more like a modern historical/mystery novel than a novel by Twain. I knew nothing of Puddn'head Wilson other than a vague recollection of the title - I've fixed that now.
I've heard of Pudd'nhead, but no way I was going to dredge it up. I tried for a BWA (yeah, I know, why bother) with the Fresh Prints of Dixie.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:
boson wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
StevenH wrote:I can't believe that Pudd'nhead only had a 23% get rate, given that we were spotted "Wilson."
Me, too, but it did take a little time for Wilson to register. The time period and Missouri should have led people to Twain.
Yeah, it should have. But the description of the plot seemed more like a modern historical/mystery novel than a novel by Twain. I knew nothing of Puddn'head Wilson other than a vague recollection of the title - I've fixed that now.
I've heard of Pudd'nhead, but no way I was going to dredge it up. I tried for a BWA (yeah, I know, why bother) with the Fresh Prints of Dixie.
Far be it for me to criticize someone's sense of humor like some of you are always doing with Thorsten, but how does Missouri lead to Dixie?

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote:Far be it for me to criticize someone's sense of humor like some of you are always doing with Thorsten, but how does Missouri lead to Dixie?
For some reason I thought it was Mississippi.

jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

boson wrote:Affogato with cmp146 at lunch today.

I immediately googled photos of Affogato after seeing the answer yesterday. And now, I MUST HAVE IT.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Far be it for me to criticize someone's sense of humor like some of you are always doing with Thorsten, but how does Missouri lead to Dixie?
For some reason I thought it was Mississippi.
I'll give it an "A" for effort. I don't think "Show Me the Fresh Prints" would have made BWA, either. :)

AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

I had no idea on the gospel singer, so I put Pat Beignetar. I didn't expect much from that...and my expectations were met!

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

For a brief, horrifying moment just now, I saw this thread while catching up on the board and thought I had forgotten to submit. I spent all day trying to mull over the science and LPGA questions, and when I was heading to choir practice this evening, I set a reminder on my phone for ten minutes before the deadline. But when I got in and sat down, I decided I was done waiting and threw some answers and valuations in and submitted, then deleted the reminder. I guess I did it all hastily enough that I forgot in that moment that I had done it. Seeing that I won both my matches (with perfect defense in both) was a nice antidote to that moment.

SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

In a rare feat, I won my MD2 match 4(4)-3(3), and in so doing, led all members of my division in correct answers; it's the first time in my four LL seasons that I've had more correct answers than everyone else in my division. It's also only the second time I've ever gotten 4 correct answers in one day.

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Many, many years ago, when I was in high school, I had a math teacher who was kind of goofy. On a test, he had a multiple choice question on what a range was. One of the choices (thankfully, because it was one less choice to worry about) was "where the deer and the antelope play". Silly joke, but thanks to that, decades later, it helped me win yesterday's LL match because that's how I remembered it. I wound up getting three points for that because I believe that my record in math questions is (deservedly) my worst among all of the categories in the competition.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

AleBelly wrote:I had no idea on the gospel singer, so I put Pat Beignetar. I didn't expect much from that...and my expectations were met!
Not bad at all :)

The head-scratcher for me in the MD2 results was that more people know what a range is than can identify a Nehru jacket!

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I couldn't remember Deep Throat's real name, but I wish I had answered "Linda Lovelace".

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

This Is Kirk! wrote: The head-scratcher for me in the MD2 results was that more people know what a range is than can identify a Nehru jacket!
This is weird to me. Functions and the range of functions are explicitly taught in high school math.

Nehru jackets have been out of fashion for 50+ years, and mid-century fashion isn't likely something you ever need to know.

I realize that most people forget high school math immediately after (or more likely, just before) their final exam. But this stuff is explicitly taught to essentially every LLama. I would have thought a group of people who value knowing stuff might remember it more than a jacket they've never seen anyone wear.

Maybe this is just my despair as a teacher coming through: I know my students won't all need the stuff I teach, but I keep hoping a tiny bit lingers on.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

boson wrote:I realize that most people forget high school math immediately after (or more likely, just before) their final exam.
It's funny that Math is my best LL category. It was never a great subject for me in quiz bowl or in schooI; I did fine in algebra, trig, and precalculus, but I nearly failed geometry (proofs are still the hardest thing that I have ever had to do in any class that I wasn't allowed to drop) and calculus I. But I've found that LL math questions are generally just a test of remembering the basics that you learned in high school, and that is something that I am good at remembering for some reason. "Domain" and "range" fall into that category.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

boson wrote:
This is weird to me. Functions and the range of functions are explicitly taught in high school math.

Nehru jackets have been out of fashion for 50+ years, and mid-century fashion isn't likely something you ever need to know.
I'd argue very few people actually need to know about either Nehru jackets or domain and range. That's why they are trivia.

I got both correct, but knowing how many people seem to hate math made it surprising to me that more people came up with that than Nehru jacket, which I (wrongly) assumed was common knowledge. I am biased because I know math quite well and I definitely don't know much about fashion. I figured if I knew it, everyone did. :)

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
boson wrote:

I'd argue very few people actually need to know about either Nehru jackets or domain and range. That's why they are trivia.

I got both correct, but knowing how many people seem to hate math made it surprising to me that more people came up with that than Nehru jacket, which I (wrongly) assumed was common knowledge. I am biased because I know math quite well and I definitely don't know much about fashion. I figured if I knew it, everyone did. :)
I think that I wouldn't have got that math Q correct were it not that I'm helping my son with algebra and this stuff came up in one of his homework assignments a while back. Much easier than recalling my own algebra education 44 years ago :mrgreen:

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Math is my worst LL category. I didn't retain much of it from high school; thankfully, dh did, so he was the one who taught our kids their high school math.

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

boson wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote: The head-scratcher for me in the MD2 results was that more people know what a range is than can identify a Nehru jacket!

I realize that most people forget high school math immediately after (or more likely, just before) their final exam. But this stuff is explicitly taught to essentially every LLama. I would have thought a group of people who value knowing stuff might remember it more than a jacket they've never seen anyone wear.

Maybe this is just my despair as a teacher coming through: I know my students won't all need the stuff I teach, but I keep hoping a tiny bit lingers on.
Maybe I should've opened a book once in a while in high school:/
Total game show career losings = $171,522

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:The head-scratcher for me in the MD2 results was that more people know what a range is than can identify a Nehru jacket!
I never even opened the link. If it wasn't Nehru, I wasn't going to know it anyway.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
AleBelly wrote:I had no idea on the gospel singer, so I put Pat Beignetar. I didn't expect much from that...and my expectations were met!
Not bad at all :)

The head-scratcher for me in the MD2 results was that more people know what a range is than can identify a Nehru jacket!
Funny I though sure the jacket would be near 100% get given it's recently been featured on J! :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!