LL71: For The LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Re: LL71: For The LLamas

Post by bomtr »

I much prefer bad cinema to bad music, so I am quite familiar with the movie with the wonderful title. Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! That's good stuff. And Tura Satana! Nothing more need be said. Don't miss it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

cmp146 wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:I was familiar with the title of Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! from the namesake '80s-'90s band
Glad you mentioned this because when I answered that question the name popped into my head and I wasn't sure if it was a band, a movie, or both!
Excellent private rundle match Kirk! I like getting solid ties against strong players. :-) Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill was the only bad movie title I could come up with from that general era. I was pleasantly surprised it was the right one. I also guessed Kelly, since I remembered her name and Fox News. We don't seem to watch that network here in Kingston, Ontario.
You, too! I definitely considered assigning at least a 2 on the Megyn Kelly question, but figured U.S. politics have been in the news so much lately even Canadians probably have heard more than the ever needed to hear.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Well, I got real lucky on that chess question by giving the first common Norwegian surname that came to mind.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I knew exactly who it was, and I remembered him as Carl Magnussen. :mad: At least it didn't cost me either match.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

sarisson wrote:I'm playing Blue Lion today. Is he one of the Commodore statues guarding the Biltmore? He's definitely playing better than a Detroit Lion.
Something unusual happened in the other C Horizon division; I figured it was only a matter of time.
Congratulations on your win. Hope to see you again!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Been posting 3s and 4s lately, was really happy when I got a 5 today (didn't know the chess guy). I wound up losing (7(5)-8(5)) and tying (6(5)-6(4)) today.

Some days I hate Learned League. :)

Thank goodness there's a break now!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I've been watching the Chess Championship pretty religiously this month, so Carlsen was a gimme for me. Monday's dramatic upset with the black pieces by Karjakin may very well mean that this question will be outdated by the start of next week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Monday we had a question about a starfish and Tuesday we were asked about a sponge.
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

OSXpert wrote:I've been watching the Chess Championship pretty religiously this month, so Carlsen was a gimme for me. Monday's dramatic upset with the black pieces by Karjakin may very well mean that this question will be outdated by the start of next week.
Well, not really. The question just asked what came next in the list, so Carlsen would still be the right answer.

I've been following this too, and was very surprised by the low get rate. Perhaps that's why I'm nearly last in my league in defensive efficiency.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

The most frustrating part about playing along with LL is having borderline answers and not seeing whether Thorsten would have given you credit (Marfan's disease)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

countyguy wrote:The most frustrating part about playing along with LL is having borderline answers and not seeing whether Thorsten would have given you credit (Marfan's disease)
I said Marian's Syndrome and got credit for it.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I got a forfeit win yesterday for the first time since my rookie season way back in LL60. Paired with my 9(6), that's a good day for the ol' differential.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

It's probably a good thing that this week is ending. I went 9/12 on the questions (my lifetime batting average is .418), so I'm probably about to crash and burn.

I got an 8(5)-7(4) win yesterday. I made educated guesses on sponge (glad that I didn't overthink that one!) and Iceland. I'm a little surprised that the get rates for Schubert and Carlsen weren't higher. Classical music was one of my opponents worst categories, but they still knew Schubert.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:Monday we had a question about a starfish and Tuesday we were asked about a sponge.
But are you spongeworthy?
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

StevenH wrote:It's probably a good thing that this week is ending. I went 9/12 on the questions (my lifetime batting average is .418), so I'm probably about to crash and burn.

I got an 8(5)-7(4) win yesterday. I made educated guesses on sponge (glad that I didn't overthink that one!) and Iceland. I'm a little surprised that the get rates for Schubert and Carlsen weren't higher. Classical music was one of my opponents worst categories, but they still knew Schubert.
I got Schumann and Schubert confused.

This has been a terrible season for me so far. I'm tied for 7th in TCA, but am next to last in the standings because I'm too easy to peg. I have the lowest offensive efficiency in my league, and if I get a classical music (1/7) or theatre (0/7) category my opponent knows to toss the high pointers there. I'm also in the bottom 5 for defensive efficiency.

Looks like I need to bone up on my weak categories and figure out how to actually play defense!
BulgarianBeast
Valued Contributor

Post by BulgarianBeast »

Wow, somehow I ended up top of my rundle after MD 7... :shock: Guess I will enjoy that until next week, surely it will not last long. With Veselin Topalov(one of the names on the list) being Bulgarian, I am very familiar with recent development in chess, and I am also surprised the get rate on that wasn't higher - I thought Carlsen was pretty-well known since he is such a prodigy. Thankfully, the 0 I gave to my opponent for it(he missed it) didn't matter and I still won. Now I just need to make sure I don't forget about the Classic on Friday with all the holiday festivities going on...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

9(5)-8(5) win for me yesterday due to my opponent assigning zero points to Carlsen, which I missed! I could tell you the current chess world champ is a young Norwegian guy, but couldn't come up with his name.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

goatman wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:Sadly, I was able to get pleurisy right because several years ago I was hospitalized and had surgery for it. :cry:
Happily you are recovered now!? In my surgical training we treated chronic pleural effusions by tetracycline infusion. Terrifically painful. you pierce the chest wall between ribs, typically lower back laterally. Insert a trochar (huge needle with hollow core to pass a line) over the top of a rib never below it, where the neurovascular bundle is located. Then pass a catheter through the trochar and infuse about a pint of the drug while rolling the patient side to side and tilting up & down to distribute the fluid. The antibiotic is not for an infection, it has a strong caustic property and 'welds' the weeping pleural membranes, controlling the effusion. Pleuritis is pretty rough and left untreated it fills the pleural cavity with fluid, squeezing the lung parenchychma until the victim suffocates. This treatment lasts typically for a few months and makes breathing pretty stiff. We see this in cancer patients and persons with autoimmune diseases like Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE), another occasional J-clue. In spite of knowing all about this, I NHO Miss Saigon and guessed "Camelot" thinking maybe Arthur had a chopper from that Connecticut Yankee in his court?! LOL :roll:
Yes, I had a great doctor. The procedure you described I think they tried before they tried surgery. It was the most excruciating experience of my life and I think that they gave up because I was too wimpy. I don't even have a scar from the surgery. It did take several months of recovery afterwards (at home) with intravenous antibiotics and a slow rehab to get back my breath and stamina. I had to drop out of a play I was rehearsing.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Bamaman wrote:
countyguy wrote:The most frustrating part about playing along with LL is having borderline answers and not seeing whether Thorsten would have given you credit (Marfan's disease)
You said MARIAN'S Syndrome and got credit for it? I wrote Marfan's (instead of Marfan) and worried that I would get negged, but I didn't.

After finishing with a losing record and just missing relegation in my C rundle last time, I find myself with a 5-2 record, in third place this time, despite a 22-20 record on the questions.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

georgespelvin wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
You said MARIAN'S Syndrome and got credit for it? I wrote Marfan's (instead of Marfan) and worried that I would get negged, but I didn't.

After finishing with a losing record and just missing relegation in my C rundle last time, I find myself with a 5-2 record, in third place this time, despite a 22-20 record on the questions.
My phone tried to autocorrect Marfan's to Marian's (I caught it) so I'm not surprised he's accepting that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012